Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Yeoman

Default Planning Your Own Singles Cruise

There has been so much conversation on this singles message board lately about forming your own group for a singles cruise that I did some research and came up with what I think is valuable information for those wanting to do so. Check out my article, "Planning Your Own Singles Cruise" on Cruisemates homepage.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pat,

I really liked that article, as I was tasked with organizing a group cruise at one point in time.

One thing that was not mentioned was the fact that the cruiselines allow other incentives in lieu of a cabin for every X number of purchased cabins. Such perks that can be substituted include free cocktail parties (1 hour of open bar), a bottle of wine in each stateroom, etc... This is why the singles cruise companies are able to offer such parties as part of the cruise package.

The article also could not have been timed any better, as there has been some bantering going on some other internet boards lately regarding the price of booking a singles cruise versus booking solo.

While I personally don't mind paying $200 or so extra to book through a singles group, I have seen cases where the singles cruise groups were charging more double the cost of booking through your own if you want your own cabin. (i.e. the cruiseline price for your own cabin is around $500 - $600 including single supplement, and the singles group is selling single cabins in the $1200 - $1300 range).

I am assuming that this occurs when the singles group is still trying to sell one of the cabins from its block, but have no more single cabin spaces available, and are charging those who want a single cabin twice the double occupancy rate.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Update....

Someone that I met on previous singles cruise has planned a group singles cruise....November 24, 2007 on the Carnival Freedom. Should be a great cruise, and each member of the group will have a second sign and sail card that is to be used for an open bar package. So far, I know about 10 people that I have met on previous singles cruises who have signed up for it, and expect a lot more to sign up before sailing. Since the person organizing it is not looking to make money, the cost of the cruise is actually less than the amounts being charged by most of the singles cruise agencies.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

[quote="loanshark"]Pat,

While I personally don't mind paying $200 or so extra to book through a singles group, I have seen cases where the singles cruise groups were charging more double the cost of booking through your own if you want your own cabin. (i.e. the cruiseline price for your own cabin is around $500 - $600 including single supplement, and the singles group is selling single cabins in the $1200 - $1300 range).

>>>>>>>. Usually the cruise lines have a standard single supplement rate, but there are times when they have specials. It never hurts to check with the cruise line to find out what they are charging for your category before booking with the singles agency; however, it is important to remember that if you book your own ticket you will not be allowed to join in any of the organized singles activities. They are very strict about that, issuing i.d. at registration when boarding and checking at the door of every function.
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Beginner

loanshark,

do you have more information on that open bar cruise that you can post on this board for us? it sounds pretty interesting and i would like to know more.
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

CruisingLife....

Please send me an email, and I will tell you how to book this as part of the singles group.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07