Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Default Club Getaway Cruise vs. Singlescruise.com cruise in Feb 07

Greetings to all you single cruisers out there!

I’m a never married, 40 year old professional thinking of taking my 1st singles cruise and have found this site and its forums very helpful. I've narrowed it down to either Club Getaway’s annual singles cruise in February 07 or Singlescruise.com’s 7 day President’s Day cruise also in February 07.

I’ve been leaning toward Club Getaway’s cruise primarily because it has contacts with a lot of singles organization in the mid-Atlantic region, which is where I live, and I think it might attract people closer to my own age. However, I’ve not seen a lot of information about Club Getaway cruises on this or other cruising sites. The cruise is advertised as a sport and adventure cruise, and although I like to stay active and like adventure, I don’t want to be on a cruise where I’m surrounded by people that always need to be on the go every waking minute. I plan to spend some time just relaxing on a beach or by the pool with a few drinks with some, preferably female, fellow singles. So, I would be interested in hearing from people that have gone on their past cruises and their experiences.

The Singlescruise.com cruise in February also sounds very tempting and it would be cheaper then ClubGetaway, but I’m not sure of how large a group to expect and the age range I might find on that cruise.

Any feedback on either of these cruises would be greatly appreciated, and I would be interested in hearing from anybody that has already booked either cruise.

Thanks

Kevers
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Yeoman

Hi, the Presidents Day cruise will attract a lot of kids, teens, college kids on all the cruise ships. For some reason, it becomes Presidents week for the American schools and the Canada kids are also there on the ships because they also have some type of holidays too on that same week.

I love school kids , teens and college kids but I totally dislike the toddlers whose parents let them cry and scream at eating times. I hate that.
On my last cruise I had families with toddlers dinning at dinner time next to my dinner table on each side. They used to love to slide themselves near my table. I had to make sure they didn't touch my beautiful silk clothes.

If you are with a singles group you will not have to worry about sitting next to toddlers. But they will be running around the elevators, pool and buffet area.

If you are cruising on a Carnival ship.... it is called the fun ships which means" LETS GET LOUD" like the JL song. BUT.... you can avoid the noise because there will be plenty of places to be quietly sitting down and taking it easy with some lady friend or friends.
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Yeoman

Regarding kids on the ships, you stand a better chance of avoiding them during dinner if you ask for second seating...but not always. However, I have seen lots of children at second seating that were well behaved. It all depends on how they are raised, right?
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Yeoman

It is the TODLERS who cause the noise in the dinning room. Some weeks attrach from 600 to 400 kids on the Carnivals.

I heard Princess puts a limit on 200 kids per cruise. I don't know if that is still true.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Passenger

I've pretty much decided on the Club Getaway singles cruise on the Costa Magica, not Carnival, so hopefully it will not be overun with kids. Also, since the cruise is the week before President's day, and will be over Valentines Day, I'm hoping that might keep the number of kids on the ship down.

This is supposed to be a pretty big group and we are supposed to have our own dining section with open seating so there shouldn't be a lot of kids around us during the dinner.

I still would like to hear from anyone that has gone on Club Getaways cruise before about their experiences, and anybody else that might be going.

I plan to book within the next few days.
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yeoman

Hi, I went and I checked out the Club getaway website. It looks like a great group. The Costa rooms are beautiful. I think you will be free to do what ever you want on the ship and you will most likely book some tours.
It is a new ship and it looks beautiful. I don't think it will attract famliies.
Don't forget to have a cappuchino in the restarant in the mornings with your breakfast. They are only free in the mornings in the restaurant. The Italians believe that people need that extra ZEST to keep them awake... that is why it is only free in the mornings.
I have been on the Costa Med ship with a singles group and I had fun and made friends with some singles that are still my friends today. I met Showcat on that cruise.

They will have toga night... so be ready to dress up one night with a bed-sheet or buy your own toga. Ask your travel agent about toga night.
Have fun. Angel Gal
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
It is a new ship and it looks beautiful. I don't think it will attract famliies.
Don't forget to have a cappuchino in the restarant in the mornings with your breakfast. They are only free in the mornings in the restaurant. The Italians believe that people need that extra ZEST to keep them awake... that is why it is only free in the mornings.
Mmmm...cappuchino! I haven't had a proper cappuchino since my time in Sicily (Sigonella).
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
First Mate

One would assume the ClubGetAway cruise would be more of a meet market than Singlecruise.com if I had to pick a cruise it would be GetAway, they seem to have more "fit" and "healthy" cruisers if there shore events are like their cruises.
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Passenger

The only singles cruise I have been on was with Vacations to go .... there were people of all ages and backgrounds .. lots of activities if that is what you wanted but also time alone at any time you wished ... it was fun dining with different people ea. nite and either going to a late show or dancing ...

I was also looking at the Feb. 18th cruise .. happens to fall on my birthday ... maybe I will see ya there ...
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Hey Kevers,

I've cruised with both Club Getaway and singlescruise.com. Although I haven't cruise with singlescruise in Feb yet, this year I am. There really isn't a big difference between the 2 groups. Same type of events, great hosts, its always been hard for me to choose between the 2. One big factor on the Feb cruise is clubgetaway will have a lot more people cruising with them then singlescruise. The big cruises for singlescruise.com are the April and October cruises. If you can make one those, do!!! Personally I like the Carnival ships much better then the Costa ships.

I enjoy singlescruise more because you have more chances to get to see people throughout the year. They have reunions, and some of them cruise several times a year. It's like having a whole network of friends from all over the world who enjoy traveling. Club Getaway does have a reunion on Memorial weekend. Very few of us make it to that reunion. It's expensive, and for me it's too long too travel for a 3 day weekend.

No matter what cruise you decide on you will have a blast. It is soooo much fun. A little hard to fit in your first cruise unless your very outgoing. If your single and enjoy cruising this is the beginning of a very good time.

Have a good time.
Michelle
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the comments Michelle, much appreciated. I already put a deposit down last week on the Club Getaway cruise. The woman I talked to at Club Getaway was very helpful and pleasant. She said the cruise primarily gets a mid 30’s and 40’s crowd. They have a good mix of activities and excursions for the more active people and for ones more like me, who want some to do some activity and exercise, like snorkeling or hiking, but also want some to time to relax on a beach or at a bar, and that about half the group are of the keep active type and the other half more like me.

I am looking forward to it, I wanted to get away from the cold northeast for a bit this year. I really don’t like winter anymore, and this might turn into a yearly event for me. I also really would like to be around other singles for a change. It’s really getting hard for me to go anywhere without being outnumbered by couples and families, and at home it’s hard for me to find fellow singles to even talk to, my friends and family are all married with kids now.

Now I’m curious about what singles experiences have been with Costa Cruises? I’ve seen a lot of mixed reviews regarding service on Costa cruises. I’ll start another post on that topic. I will also try to write a review of the cruise when I get back.

Thanks for every ones comments and I welcome any further replies.

Oh, just in case anybody is interested here is the link to Club Getaway’s cruise info:

http://singles-cruise.com/
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Yeoman

Hi Kevers, when you are with a Singles group you don't have time to notice any type of bad service on any ship.
You will never go hungry on the Costa ship because if you don't like your dinner you can always go eat some more on the evening buffet.
I think you will be eating a late dinner. Most groups are set to eat dinner late. I always go eat a slice of pizza or snack at 5p.m. to hold me til dinner time.
On the Costa cruise I was soooo busy with activities that I would miss out on the afternoon tea time. They have sandwiches, cookies, and different teas around 4p.m. Darn... I missed out! I like tea time snacks.

There will be mostly Italians working on the ship. They mind their own business and they don't kiss hinney. They just do their jobs as best as they can. They are friendly workers but they don't say hello to everybody they see like in some ships. You will see them working to keep the ship super clean. The ships sparkle.
The Italians are not time conscience like Americans. So don't expect fast service in some areas. They like to take their time in doing things. BUT...
you will be so busy having fun with the other singles to care about the service.
The people who give the Costa the bad reviews are Americans who are used to American standards. "Time is money" is the attitude.
So.... learn to be like the Italians and you will enjoy your cruise.
I totally enjoyed being on the Costa Med ship because I had lots of singles to hang out with. I also would take time away from the group and hung out by myself at times because I like to be by myself at times.

I think I just gave you a cruise review of a Costa Ship. All the Costa ships have the same style of providing service and the Italian style of cruising.
Angel gal
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Thanks Angel gal,

I figured I'll be kept pretty busy while on the ship, hopefully meeting people, to really notice any issues with service. I agree with you, I suspect that some of the negative Costa reviews were from Americans not familar with the Italian way of doing things. Heaven forbid some Americans should have to experience a different way of doing things.

I am a seasoned world traveler and had a great time when I was in Italy, so I have an idea of what to expect from an Italian cruise line. I have been on one other cruise as well, but it was many years ago with some friends on Carnival, on one of their oldest and smallest ships at the time, so I also have some idea of the cruising lifestyle. Can't Wait!!

Happy Holidays to All!

Kevers
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yeoman

Since you have been to Italy then you will not have any problems because you understand their cultural way of doing things. The menu will be mostly Italian. Don't forget to go have your cappuchino in the dinning room in the mornings because it is only free in the mornings to give you that extra zip to wake you up for the day. That is what the Italians said to me.

They used to tell me... go sit where ever you want when I would show up for breakfast or lunch. It is the only cruiseline that does that. All other cruiselines make you sit down where they want you to sit you.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise. Angel gal
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Hi Kevers, I just booked the same cruise with Club Getaway. This will be my first cruise, and it should be a blast. From what I hear, Club Getaway trips are great.

There's an old thread on Club Getaway cruises from last year

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527302

-cruz azul - 32 Male from Boston.
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks Cruz Azul,

Nice to see someone else going on the cruise found this board. I saw that old threat when I first discovered this site. It is about the only comments I have found about the Club Getaway cruise anywhere, but have heard good things about the Club Getaway. Since this is their 9th cruise and their 2nd or 3rd time on a Costa ship they must know what they're doing, I know last years cruise sold out.

I do need to contact Club Getaway and ask if they have made any arrangements with a hotel in Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise. I'm sure some people from the northeast, like me, are thinking of going down a day early to lessen the risk of missing the boat due to airline and/or weather problems. Have you heard anything?

Kevers
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Beginner

I didn't hear anything about them making arrangements with a Hotel. I probably will also head down early, but I will be making separate arrangements in South Florida.

-Cruz Azul
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Default ClubGetaway Feb 07 Cruise

Hi Kevers,

I just booked the cruise with ClubGetaway and had the same concerns you did -- I'm so glad that I found your posting! I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one a little concerned but I think we made the right choice! And thanks to Cruz Azul and Angel and others names I'm forgetting (how embarrassing) who posted replies to your questions -- that really helped! Until this forum, the only review I was able to find about Costa was extremely negative, so I'm relieved -- it did seem to have a lot of ridiculous time-issue types of complaints! This particular cruise, I was told, would be average 40's, then 30's, then 50's. I'm 36 so this is perfect! Whomever wrote about the morning cappucino -- that's fantastic and I can't wait! I love that the cruise line is Italian -- I'm excited about the Italian language lessons along with the dance lessons and cooking classes and zillions of other activities. But you're right -- it will be fun to also kick back with a delicious drink!

Best,
Linda
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Passenger

Hi Linda,

Glad to hear this postings were helpful. It looks like it should be a really fun trip. I talked briefly with Leslie at Club Getaway yesterday and it looks like there are over 200 people going right now, and there are still some spots available. We should be getting our tickets in another week or so. Have you been on a cruise before?

I have been emailing with another person I met on another cruise bulletin board who has gone on the Club Getaway cruise 7 times before and did say it is a blast, and that a lot of the people who go have gone on the cruise before. So it looks like there will be 1 big group of repeat Glub Getaway customer and another group like us that have never gone before.

I'm am looking forward to it. I've done some shopping and have my flight all set, and since I'm arriving a day before the cruise I have a hotel room close to Port Everglades for the night before.

Look forward to meeting you and all other people on the cruise.

Kevers
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the update about our receiving our tickets soon -- I can't wait! I've never been on a cruise before -- I'm amazed at all of the activities -- I think I'll sleep after the trip! lol!

That's really interesting about the repeat Club Getaway customers and the newbies like us -- I'm glad that there will be the round robin at dinner so that people will be "forced" to meet new people each time instead of remaining in a comfort zone with those they know already.

I'm still booking my flight and hotel -- it's looking like everything is sold out around the port everglades area so you're lucky, you probably locked in one of the last available rooms!

We'll definitely need to meet on the ship, so that I can buy you a thank you drink for posting such a helpful question!

Linda
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Hi Linda,

I booked a hotel about 2 weeks ago and the flight about a week before that. I did spend a bit more money then I would have liked on a room, but I couldn't find much that didn't look like a dump or was way to expensive for only 1 night that was fairly close to Port Everglades and the airport. I ended up booking a room at the Best Western Oceanside which had good reviews and was somewhat reasonable as far as price, but they don't offer transfers so I have to get myself to it from the airport and then the port the next day.

I have traveled a fair bit and do a lot of research before I book. In addition to the usual Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz, Here are few travel sites I recommend for finding flights and hotels. You might want to check them out. I look forward to meeting you and having that drink.

Kevin

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ -Great reviews of hotels and can search mulitple reservations systems.

http://www.kayak.com/ -flights and hotels

http://www.farecast.com/ -flights

http://www.sidestep.com/ -flights and hotels

http://porteverglades.org/miles-to-hotels.htm -list hotels close to Port Everglades and links to reservations systems.

Kevin
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yeoman

I'm so bummed! This is the first I've heard about Club Getaway and I can't go that soon. How many cruises do they do each year?

I wanna go!!!!
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Sorry, you can't make the cruise HappyCruiser.

I have never been there but Club Getaway is actually a resort on a big lake in Connecticut that does several singles retreats in the summer, they also do weddings and corporate retreat type events. I think it primarily attracts people within busing distance from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states. The cruise is a once a year thing, I think, and they usually do it in February.

Kevin
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Thanks Kevin . . . . OH POOP! Maybe I can arrange things better for the trip next year?

Have a great cruise!! Don't forget to post lots of pictures when you get back!
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Kevin, Cruz Azul, and Linda.

Just saw the posts, so I don't know if you'll see this before the cruise, since it's less than a week away. You made the right choice. The cruise is gonna be great. Lot's of good people and a great staff. Will be my 2nd cruise with them. Been to their resort lots of times too. Arriving myself Sat. the day before. See you on Deck 9.

Phil from NJ
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Hi Phil,

I can't believe it's less than a week away! I can't wait!! That's fantastic that you're going back a 2nd time -- that's the best kind of testimonial! I'm also flying down on Saturday so that I get there (knock on wood) in plenty of time. Look forward to meeting you, Kevin and Cruz Azul!

Linda

P.S. There really is a deck 9 right? Just making sure you're not trying to pull some kind of newbie gag on us!
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Beginner

I realize that this is a little late...I have heard that both are good. Club Get-A-Ways does only one cruise a year where SinglesCruise.com seems to offer the largest number of cruises. The age range of CGAW is pretty young where SinglesCruise caters to a larger range of ages. Good luck!
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Passenger

Hi All,

I can't wait to leave. It is too freakin cold in the Jersey! I got my cruise documents yesterday, I've started to pack, got my tux rented, and am looking forward to spending 7 hot days in the Carribean making new friends!

Single mingler, how young is young? I don't consider myself old at 41, but I wouldn't say I'm young either. According to Leslie at Club Getaway I'll be right in the middle of the age range, with most people in their 30's and 40's with a few 20's and a few 50's. The pictures I saw from past cruises appeared to confirm that.

I arrive Saturday night and expect I'll be aboard by mid-afternoon Sunday.

Kevin
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Can't wait to hear...have fun!