Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Yeoman

Default Dealing with the CabinMate from Hell

This was a first for me -- being stuck on the ship for 8 days with a really really bad roommate!

I'd like to compare horror stories on this subject. Has anybody else had to deal with a bad situation such as this?

- never flushed the toilet after use

- programmed her cell phone alarm to wake her up at 5:30 am every morning ON EST and woke us both up at 2:30 am every single night!!!!! When I asked her if she'd fixed it, she replied that she did and the damn thing would go off again that same night -- this happened FOR ALL EIGHT NIGHTS OF THE CRUISE!

- got up to "hit the gym" every morning between 6:00 am and 7:00 am, thereby waking me up (she was actually just using the shower facilities up there and laying out on the deck) she just felt the need to tell me she was using the gym so that she could feel superior

- Didn't/couldn't/wouldn't pay for tips, food, drinks, entrance fees on excursions, taxi rides, etc. She got off the ship for our excursions with zero $$ in her pocket and I had to cover her bills everywhere! Taxi Rides, Entrance fees to excursions, etc. At one point in our first port of call, she went to the Mexican ATM and came back with only 50 pesos ($5)!!, prior to our second port of call, she stated that the ship's ATM wouldn't dispense money for her. When she hit the ATM in town, she stated it kept her card! I paid all the tips, she refused to tip anybody

- she dropped her bathing suit that she was carrying around at our first port of call and was mad when I wouldn't ask our taxi driver to turn the cab around on a busy Mexican highway so she could go back and find it -- unsure of where she dropped it, it would have taken a long time

- made constant snide, rude, catty remarks about me and the friends I made on the cruise ship

- Showed up sick for the cruise, knowing she was sick a full two weeks prior to leaving for the vacation and showing up anyways. She spent the entire 8 days of the cruise coughing up a lung and people parted like the red sea on the ship, trying to avoid her/us

- talked in "baby-talk" type tones, apparently thinking it made her more lady-like/attractive

- walked in on me in the bathroom ALL THE TIME!!!! -- she couldn't take the time to knock on the door to determine if I was in there

- stayed in the cabin during most of the cruise, hogging the balcony and affording me no privacy whatsoever

There were so many other incidents but I'm too tired to type them all out

I'd like to hear your stories/input

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh my I am sorry to hear about this. For some reason I thought you were sailing with someone you knew, guess not. Wow sounds pretty bad to me and that is one reason I usually just get my own cabin unless I know someone. I have had 2 room mates that I really didn't know too well but they worked out ok. Yes there were a few things here and there but for the most part they were pretty good. I am so sorry to hear about his because I am sure it really put a damper on your cruise experience. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare to me.

Oh thank goodness I have my own cabin on the next cruise but on the next one after that I do have a room mate but someone I know pretty well but not great.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Passenger

Default Great Experience!!

Wow, angelgal, that is a nightmare!! I lucked out on mine then. My first singles cruise I decided to get a roomie who I did not know. Her and I emailed for a while prior to the cruise and got to know each other a bit and we determined we would be alright. SHe was great!! We still email all the time and when I went to Florida last March with my kids, we even got together for lunch on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I am on the March 24th cruise angelgal, or else I would room with you in a hotel prior to your cruise April 1st, I seen you were looking for someone. I really would like to be on your cruise cause there is this guy that I really liked on my last singles cruise and he invited me but I am already booked. I guess I could rebook. Have to think about that one. Oh.. and I also met Showcat on that cruise and she is a great girl. We were going to get together on New Years Eve in Chicago but it did not work out due to my dad going in the hospital. Showcat has such a great spunk for life and I am so glad I met her. Anway, I can go on and on but I won't. Probably better to room by yourself or with someone you know. Bye for now.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Great Experience!!

Sassifraz, I'm not Angelgal

I'm an entirely different person from her. I've heard great things about her and Showcat does indeed strike me as a really amazing woman. Cool that you got to meet her!

I'm not looking for a roomie for my next cruise as I've already found one and I just *know* that we are going to get along famously. Heather is very much like me and we enjoy the same things. We agree on most everything.

I'm normally really easy to get along with and try to be as considerate as possible. It's just a shame that not everybody knows how to be considerate of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassifraz
Wow, angelgal, that is a nightmare!! I lucked out on mine then. My first singles cruise I decided to get a roomie who I did not know. Her and I emailed for a while prior to the cruise and got to know each other a bit and we determined we would be alright. SHe was great!! We still email all the time and when I went to Florida last March with my kids, we even got together for lunch on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. I am on the March 24th cruise angelgal, or else I would room with you in a hotel prior to your cruise April 1st, I seen you were looking for someone. I really would like to be on your cruise cause there is this guy that I really liked on my last singles cruise and he invited me but I am already booked. I guess I could rebook. Have to think about that one. Oh.. and I also met Showcat on that cruise and she is a great girl. We were going to get together on New Years Eve in Chicago but it did not work out due to my dad going in the hospital. Showcat has such a great spunk for life and I am so glad I met her. Anway, I can go on and on but I won't. Probably better to room by yourself or with someone you know. Bye for now.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Passenger

Default Sorry

Sorry I got that wrong. I Have been reading your posts though and you and Dave are hilarious!! You seem like you have a nice personality. Thanks for your reply and happy cruising!!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
First Mate

I here do promise to always flush the toliet(by the way that is just gross!)
I will always knock prior to entering.
I will turn cell phone off upon leaving port.
I e-mail my kids.
If you ever need private time, say Heather get the hell out for awhile.
Now as a good roomie you should lie through you teeth, tell me I don't look fat, the guys will love me and I look awesome in my new dresses (even if I can't walk in the shoes!) These things are a must!

Signed,
Your best roomie ever,
Heather
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileHMB
I here do promise to always flush the toliet(by the way that is just gross!)
I will always knock prior to entering.
I will turn cell phone off upon leaving port.
I e-mail my kids.
If you ever need private time, say Heather get the hell out for awhile.
Now as a good roomie you should lie through you teeth, tell me I don't look fat, the guys will love me and I look awesome in my new dresses (even if I can't walk in the shoes!) These things are a must!

Signed,
Your best ever roomie,
Heather
Deal!

I forgot to mention that she had an intestinal infection of some sort for a full TWO WEEKS prior to coming on the cruise. The doctors ran a series of tests and she was supposed to call for her results the Tuesday after Xmas. She refused to pay the roaming international charges on her cell phone to find out what she was so deathly ill from, however she managed to make that same expensive cell phone call to her dog sitter to make sure that her dogs got their Xmas presents!!!

Not sure how an intestinal infection turns into a respiratory infection/bronchitis, but with her -- IT DID!!!!! Much to the entire ship's chagrin.

She stated that she had severe diarreah for 2 whole weeks before her cruise, I would have thought that she'd be concerned as to her test results. God knows I was!! Fortunately, I didn't catch her illnesses!

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Now I don't feel so bad about paying that single supplement. Be darned if I wish to room with some stranger. :evil:

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Admiral

Kathy, how did you meet this "Roomate from Hell"? Did the singles group set you up with her? Did you guys speak prior to the cruise? Was just wondering. I am going on the April 1st cruise and I was thinking about taking a chance with a roomate but I think paying the single supplement will be the way to go. Bob
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Kathy,

All I can say is "Oh MY G*&^(" I'm so sorry you had that happen to you.

Never having been on a cruise, I can't really compare. But my in my time in the Navy, I had some doozies (and barracks rooms aren't any bigger than balcony cabins). Add working separate shifts, and roomie coming in at 2:30 every morning...drunk, when I had to get up at 5:00. Once he brought a girl back and they....um...you know....well, we had bunk beds and his rack was on top...yup they were both above me! ....and since we were on different shifts, even on the best of conditions one of us was asleep when the other came back after work to change.

Another guy I found sitting in his "altogether" in the dark, playing Nintendo. Girls had been complaining that someone was taking their underwear out of the laundry...it was this guy....(we found them stuffed in his matress springs).....ewwwwww!

Another guy always left his bed unmade just before room inspections...

We got him back once though. I was in my room with a few friends, and he was coming back drunk. One of my friends leaned out the window and pegged him with a water baloon. He got mad and ran off. A few minutes later he came storming back with a full bucket of water, and launched it at my friend..who...was...sitting...on...HIS...bed!!! I never laughed so hard in my life.

My Navy roommates convinced me that I would never...never...room with a stranger ever again! Single supplement only...when I finally schedule my cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Ok, roomie if you come down with something that you caught from her in the next 2 weeks I am going to be pissed. I had the bad roomie before, but that's another story. We never spoke again since the cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dealing with the CabinMate from Hell

Sorry to hear the cabinmate from hell story. Do note that some of the lines are screening for illness before boarding and quarantining folks in their cabins. On the bright side, things could have been worse if you got quaratined in the cabin with a CFH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
This was a first for me -- being stuck on the ship for 8 days with a really really bad roommate!

Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klawrence

Been on five single cruises since 2003 and I always room by myself; when we have pre cruise gatherings I do find a roomie that I know and love for the hotel stay. Just got back from San Antonio and roomed with a very good friend of mine.

I would never room with anyone on a cruise unless it's a man that I am involved with. Would rather do only one cruise a year than two if I had to have a roomie.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Karon,

You make a very valid point but I'm very outgoing and social and really love to surround myself with fun people.

Heather (my next roomie) is one of those people. I'm very much looking forward to finally meeting her in person and going on this next cruise.

Cindy was not one of those people, I knew that up front and should have been more reticent to room with her.

I wasn't aware of how absolutely psychotic she was!

She lied continuously throughout this cruise. No ATM IN THE WORLD only dispenses $5 - regardless of currency.

Setting your cell phone alarm for 2:30 am PST EVERY SINGLE NIGHT is just reprehensible!!!

I'm still reeling from this trip

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

You would agree a lesson learned and I am sure you will be careful about rooming with anyone you didn't know; I always get a single supplement 1A cabin with Carnival when I sail. Learned from a early experience with a roomie back in the early 1980's. Let's say we didn't get along.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

I'd love to hear about your experience, Karon, if you are up to typing it all out

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Gwydiana,

I have posted to subjects which you brought up "Roommate from Heck" and "Cruise Poor" both are covered in your message.

I only cruised twice but I will NEVER take in a roommate even to save money. I like to have total control in my space and taking in a roommate defeats the purpose.

My main question to you is why did you take this woman with you on excursions???
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

It was so long ago I don't remember:-) Over twenty years; lucky I remember what I did yesterday.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Yeoman

She was my roomie and I felt obligated to include her in the excursions and whenever we emailed, she stated she wanted to join in.

I sure wish I hadn't at this point. I did end up ditching her during Acapulco at Senor Frogs. I ran into a new friend I had made on the ship and we opted to stay at the restaurant and party for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator
Gwydiana,

I have posted to subjects which you brought up "Roommate from Heck" and "Cruise Poor" both are covered in your message.

I only cruised twice but I will NEVER take in a roommate even to save money. I like to have total control in my space and taking in a roommate defeats the purpose.

My main question to you is why did you take this woman with you on excursions???

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
booboo4031

Your story is why I always pay the single supplement on singles cruises for a cabin of my own. I have no doubt that I would end up with a roommate like the one you had So even if it costs me double, it's worth it to me!

Diane
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Diane...I feel the same as you.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yeoman

This is why I NEVER room with a stranger. It is always a crapshoot to do so. Sometimes you get lucky and have a great roomie, maybe even become life-long friends and future cruising buddies, but then there is always the chance that you will, indeed, get the cabin-mate from hell who will ruin your cruise. The money you save by sharing with a stranger just isn't worth the risk.

It is a shame to have to pay a singles supplement, which, in many instances, winds up being double. But if you can't find someone you know to share, then save your money till you can pay it.

I had one terrible experience sharing with a stranger and said never, ever, again.

By the way, if you do decide to take the risk, do not--I repeat--do not share the cabin safe. As I realized my cabin-mate was a psycho on the very first night, I happened to remember that we had both put our jewelry, money, passports, etc., in the safe. It was one of those that lock according to whichever credit card goes in first. At the time, she said in a very friendly tone that I should use mine, which I did. Then, when I remembered, I opened the safe and told her I thought it was best we keep up with our own valuables, that she could have the safe, and I would check my things with the purser. By then she was showing her true colors and blew up and asked me just exactly why it was MY credit card that had locked it--choosing to forget she had told me to use mine--then she proceeded to act like a Drama Queen, and began counting her money in her billfold. I told her not to waste her time, that neither of us had left the cabin since the safe was locked, so there was no way I could have stolen anything of hers. She calmed down on the subject then, but I was so glad I thought about that, otherwise, as nutty as she turned out to be, she would have sworn I stole a million bucks from her!

So sorry you had a bad experience, and, I hate to say it, but I told you so!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
First Mate

That's it Kathy I want the safe!!!!! I really hope it is a password. Anyway my bad roomie let me have the safe. My last cruise with my good friend, we shared the password, but I think she never used it. I had to hold her $$ so she wouldn't gamble her$$ Yes, I am trustworthy! Kathy, the more I gave thought to your roomie, she may have been nuts, but I think she was a con artist. Just ripping you off. Taking advantage of your good nature. Well, you know I am not going to do that considering I put 2 of our excursions on my credit card. So how did you get the hotel paid for? Did she cough it up? It is scarey, but if I told you my bad roomie was a much older guy how would you feel???
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileHMB
That's it Kathy I want the safe!!!!! I really hope it is a password. Anyway my bad roomie let me have the safe. My last cruise with my good friend, we shared the password, but I think she never used it. I had to hold her $$ so she wouldn't gamble her$$ Yes, I am trustworthy! Kathy, the more I gave thought to your roomie, she may have been nuts, but I think she was a con artist. Just ripping you off. Taking advantage of your good nature. Well, you know I am not going to do that considering I put 2 of our excursions on my credit card. So how did you get the hotel paid for? Did she cough it up? It is scarey, but if I told you my bad roomie was a much older guy how would you feel???
Old guys, young guys, scarey women -- all have the potential to be nuts

I paid for the hotel, she didn't even chip in for that, but I expected that.

It was all the other stuff that was unexpected. You are welcome to the safe

I'm not worried about rooming with Heather, we are like two peas in a pod

Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Kathy,

I am so sorry for your experience! Over the holidays and everything. I've had experiences with "friends" on vacations that have pulled the same behavior and it has always astounded me. I'm sure that you feel taken advantage of and it's unfortunate that you had to be so forthcoming with your generosity and patience.

That being said, there's nothing like "getting back on the horse" and having the time of your life on your cruise later this month!! I've been reading the board (and have pm'ed you a few times for information) and you and Heather are nothing if not friendly, gracious and fun loving people. You will have a ball! I think we all vote for you to make up for lost time and eat, drink, dance and laugh yourself silly!

I wish you the best on this upcoming cruise! I only wish I were one of the fun bunch going!
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
I paid for the hotel, she didn't even chip in for that, but I expected that.

It was all the other stuff that was unexpected. You are welcome to the safe

I'm not worried about rooming with Heather, we are like two peas in a pod
Gwydiana,

You mention YOU paid for the hotel and you took her with you on the excursions I suspect that before the cruise even started see seen you as a "Sugar Mama".
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Beginner

hi kathy

sorry to hear you had a bad room mate

stay with the english and drink you will be ok

hope you are well and had a good cruise and meet some nice people

wish i was there with you ,you made mine on the legend

sir dick says hi

lots of love
andrew

p.s i am looking to go on a cruise on 27th or 28th of jan you intrested
i am in the states for 10 days so looking for somthing to do

chat soon
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have always had my own cabin and enjoy having the double bed. I had a room mate in college, that was the last time.

My questions for you, Kathy, is....

Does your room mate from hell read these boards?

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I have always had my own cabin and enjoy having the double bed. I had a room mate in college, that was the last time.

My questions for you, Kathy, is....

Does your room mate from hell read these boards?
I'm guessing, only if Kathy bought her a computer, and internet access! She'd never spring for those herself!
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM
First Mate

OK, Andrew fill us in. Sounds like all kinds of fun was had on the Legend!! Don't worry guys, Kathy will have fun this time around!! I already told her when I drive her nuts, in a good way, kick me out. Now if I drag her into crazy things, like runny around with buckets on our heads or PJ parties in the Penthouse, that is a whole other story. Even if she feels like an idiot, she must join in. Lay back, relax and remember you will never see these people again!