Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yeoman

Default Cabin Mate from Heaven

Another posting on this board with the subject "Dealing with the Cabin Mate from Hell" has many, many horror stories. But how about the times you shared with someone and it turned out great? Single cruisers often write to me and tell me how they have made life-long friends with a roomie who was a stranger, and now they cruise together. So let's hear some positive stories, because (I think) --even though I willl never share a cabin with a stranger again--there is a happy ending...isn't there?
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

I lucked out on my first singles cruise. I ended up getting a great cabin mate. At first I thought we would have nothing in common since we don't look similar, she was older and married with kids. But then I found out we shared a very similar soul. We are both liberal free spirts, we both have a very similar goofy sense of humor, the same political ideas, plus she was so laid back,and fun.

She booked with the same travel agent she was with a group of women on board for a bachlorette party. I gossiped about the singles, and she gossiped about a bunch of drama going on with her group. We would stay up late talking and laughing our heads off like two school girls. We had so much fun, we kept in touch, she even offered to give me some private time in the cabin if I met someone. I could not have asked for more. She came to Chicago last year and I took her and her hubby out, it was so nice to see her again!

My goal is that in the future more agencys will have questionairs forms to better match cabin mates based on basic personalitys and prefernces. This could help avoid disasters.I can't afford the singles supplement but I do try to cruise with other singles I have met from former cruises, so far Im glad I've been finding my own cabin mate.

But Im still grateful for taking the first cruise and meeting a wonderful person who was then stranger. The experiance taught me not to judge a book by it's cover, age, looks, or marital status don't matter for friends, it's the heart that counts! Like minds attracts but even some differences keep things interesting. Communication and respect are the key. Good luck!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Yeoman

For many years... I would choose a stranger as my roomie and it always worked out okay. It didn't matter what age they were. I always would ask for a non-smoker. It worked for many years until one day I got a roomie that would say mean things to me. She was an older gal and I was younger, attractive and working at UCLA. She was sooo jealous of me and would hurt my feelings. She was not a roomie from hell but she did make me not want to spend too much time in the cabin.
Then I started using friends as roomies for many years.
Last year I met Showcat, Robin, Lisa, Beverly and some other gals that can be my roomies anytime they need a roomie. Lisa and I were great roomies for our Halloween cruise. I have also recently met new gals that I will be meeting on my next cruise on the Oosterdam ship on Jan. 20th. We will be checking eachother out for compatiability. I think it is very important to do an interview before you make a choice for a new roomie.

I suggest that you meet a possible roomie on a singles cruise ship before you decide to cruise with them. There are some gals that talk real nice on a singles website and then turn out to be a roomie from hell.

I remember the gal from Hawaii who turned out to be a con-artist? She was super nice on the website and seemed super friendly and helpful. Then she hit me on the head with her con-artist ways. She ran out of paying her food bill for our pre-cruise dinner that she invited us to attend. She was a stupid con-artist because the dinner was at her hotel and we reported her to the hotel supervisor and they made her pay the bill when she checked out. We all shunned her on the ship. Pay back time.

Yes, I have had many nice roomies who have been gals and guys in my past experience. But... now I only cruise with people I know.

Some people only like to cruise once in a while so I always have to be looking for more gals to cruise with in my future cruising. I am cruising more than I used to and I need a roomie to save money. Angel gal
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klawrence

I only share my hotel accomodations with friends I have met through cruising but I never ever share a cabin on a cruise ship. I said this before I would rather do one cruise a year then two if I have to share. I have my roomies all set for my precruise stay in Ft. Lauderdale in March for the April 1st cruise; I am going down on the 30th and will be down there two nights.
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yeoman

I totally agree that there should be a better way of matching cabin mates. Age, gender, and smoking preferences aren't enough. Most don't even make it possible for cabin mates to meet via email prior to a cruise, and when I asked a few agencies for the reason, they said too often the two would find out they were not compatible, which meant having to switch people around at the last minute. Hello?!?! Isn't it better to switch roomies, regardless of how much trouble it might be, than risk people having a miserable cruise? And there should be some kind of questionaire for matching people.
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Yeoman

I think the best way to match roomies with the singles groups would be to wait until the private singles website goes into effect and the singles can talk to each other and find out that they have the same interests. Some singles could get matched that way.
I know of one gal who plans a a pre-cruise party way in advance so in case she meets someone she likes as a roomie she will ask VTG to match her with that gal. Another thing she does is she checks out to see who her roomie will be and she will demand a roomie who is her own age. She always gets what she wants.

The Singles travel agencies are afraid of the customers giving them too much work by asking for a specific roomie. The agencies want to make it easy on themselves. I heard of one gal who booked early and was given a roomie. When her best friend booked the cruise she didn't ask to be her roomie because she was already assigned a roomie. Her friend ended up booking a cabin to herself and her friend just moved in with her. I would have demanded to book with my friend and make the changes right away. I have done that on my last cruise with vtg.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Cabin Mate from Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
--even though I willl never share a cabin with a stranger again
This says alot coming from a writer and editor on a cruise website.

I have not yet room with anyone on a cruise and never will I did have experience at resorts and I had few IDEAL roommates. We both respected each other privacy and if any of us had female guest we went to the women's room.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yeoman

My roomie for my Thanksgiving Legend cruise was great! She did her own thing and I did mine. It's a shame I can't say the same for my Xmas/NYE cruise.

I'm really looking forward to our Oosterdam cruise this upcoming Saturday with Heather. I really think we are going to get along great and have some crazy fun together

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Yeoman

Heather really has been an awesome roomie. Her personality is contagious and everybody loves her whereever she goes!

She has her own groupies here on the ship amongst the crew!!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006