Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default Answer a simple question anyone!!!!

I am new to this board but have been on the other megaboards. However, your single cruisers' section is much more informative. In fact, most of the topics on this board are much more easily researched.

O.K. anyway . . .

I have cruised solo for a few years now. I have never done a group cruise. I don't know why I just haven't. My question here is, am I really missing something by not cruising through one of these established singles group travel organizations?

I am booked on the Glory for 09/29/07, VTG has a singles group cruise for this same ship. Is it worth the extra $125 to go with VTG? Are the people friendly and inviting? I was not particularly impressed with the host that answered the phone when I called but it may have be me (not likely).

So far everything I have read on this thread speaks highly of VTG Singles cruises. Perhaps I should switch my reservation.

Any thoughts?
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Cruiser guy, If you book with VTG.... I promise you will have a great time. Don't be on the outside looking in. Everybody wears their name badges and a wrist colored band to show the group that we are part of the group....... so when you see someone on deck with the wrist band or name tag or vtg t-shirt it is real easy to go talk with them.

I am an early bird and wake up real early in the morning even before breakfast is served. So I get dressed and I go looking for some of the singles to go talk with. I usually find them on deck and I just get a chair and I join them while they talk and then I join the conversation.

The first day, you go to the registration room on the ship and you will meet some of the other singles. I was at the registration room when I met a really nice gal who was new to the singles group and we hung out together for the whole cruise as friends checking out the cute guys in the group. We had fun flirting with several of the guys.

In the evenings before dinner we have an ice breaker where lots of people ask questions of eachother. All you have to do is just sit at a table with your free drink and wait for people to come up to you and say hello to you and ask you questions as part of the ice breaker game.
The drinks run free until it is time to go eat dinner. I take my sippy container and I fill it up with a drink and take it to dinner with me. That is my habit.

My favorite games are the Trivia games. It is the guys against the gals in playing the game. They ask us gals only questions that mostly guys would know. They asked the guys a question like "What company makes 'Romance" perfume? That is a new perfume on the market that even some gals wouldn't know the answer.lol.
Another question was to us gals.... "What slang name do the Australian guys call their gal friends. Guess the answer?.

At dinner time... we all do table hopping and can sit with different singles. We always have an area assigned to us with a card on the table that says VTG SINGLES. I decided to stay at one table and I always had different singles at my table and after awhile we used to save seats for eachother for the late comers.

At night time, we go to the ship shows, night clubbing at all the dance spots, casino, bars, and etc. After I get tired I go to my cabin and watch t.v. until I go to sleep. What a life!!

The Breakfast Club - is set up for singles who want to eat together at the buffet. You will find them at some large table at 9a.m. I always go looking for them after I eat breakfast early at the formal dinning room.
At 10:30a.m. we will have the option to join some activity like dance lessons, trivia, or other games set up while at sea on sea days.

PORTS- VTG tries to set up Beach parties so the group can hang out together at the beaches in the carribean. I prefer to just go shopping by myself and walk around the ports and look at jewelry and things.

On the last night at dinner time I notice that some singles have gotten cosy and are hanging out together as a couple and possibly getting lucky for the night. Some singles choose to just stay friends and become pen pals.
I also notice that some guys become fast friends and like to eat dinner together because they have the same interests. Some gals do the same thing.

OVERALL...... the majority of the group go to just have fun and hang out together. Some guy singles have a "lady friend" to go out on dates back home. Some gals do too. We kind of know or scense who they are because they never get really close to anybody of the opposite sex and they look like good people to be friends with.

The main reason singles go with the group is for the experience of being with other singles because we do have our single life-style. That makes us very compatiable.

Regarding the VTG hosts and hostesses....... we used to have Romeo who loved to talk on the phone with us singles BUT.... he has moved on to another section of VTG to work booking family groups.

Kara Lee is the vtg singles manager. I like to write her notes with ideas for new cruises or land resorts. She is working on a land resort for next year for us singles.
Dixie is the assistan manager who writes a singles newsletter for us. She is very busy and gets a lot of calls.
G.C. who is a guy is new at being a host and a very sharp action guy. He has a business mind which is good.

Presently my vtg agent is Roseanne Hahn who is a go getter and moves fast at booking my cruises and hotels. I just ask a question on her voice mail for a hotel room and "wa-la" she books it for me at a afordable rate at a 4 star hotel.

You have the option of looking around for the best vtg agent that fits your personality. I have chosen several different vtg agents in the past.
I liked them all but they have moved on to other departments of VTG.
I heard they have 400 travel agents. But you can only choose a Singles Host or Hostess to book your singles cruise.

Well...... cruiser guy... I love to write about cruising and there is always new information to learn. I am always learning new things about cruising.
Some of the singles here have given me some great information. I am truly happy with this website and it is my favorite to write on presently.

If you have any questions let me know. You can send me a private message if you like. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Angel, thanks for all the info.

I called VTG on Friday and go someone named KC. He was very friendly and very inviting. I told him I would think about it and call him on Monday to book if I decide to do so.

I have thought about it and I am definitely going to cancel my reservation on 09/29 Glory and book the VTG singles cruise on the same ship. I am now getting excited about the prospects.

Thanks again for all the good info.

On another note, I use to be on another board but that board would never allow this type of thread to offer this kind of info. I have learned more on Cruisemates in a month than I ever got from the other big board in over a year. Thanks again.

I will call VTG first thing Monday and book this cruise.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Cruiser guy, you are right that we singles have the freedom to write about our cruisining experiences on a personal level. I like to write on a personal level so I can give a picture in people's minds of what my personal experiences are like.

Our moderater and leader of this Singles website is very easy going and likes for us to communicate what we know about cruising. She doesn't mind if we give names of companies that give us the best deals either.

You are so right about some websites that are soooo controling that they don't let us really talk about cruising with certain companies.

I am glad you are giving VTG a try. Remember that there are times when you will just want to be alone and it is okay to do that too with the group. I am also the type that likes to do my own thing without the group on cruise ships and also hang out with the regular passengers on board.
Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Well, the flavor of this board speaks volumes about its leadership. It is by far more advantegous to allow members to exchange names and true ideas than to keep everything so hidden. What is that about?

I have been cruzing solo since 2004 and it was not until I came across this board a month or so ago that I was able to get a feel for what these singles cruises were all about. To be honest, on this particular cruise (09/29/07 - Glory), the price VTG is offering for a Cat. 4A is less than what the cruiseline is selling it for.

If it works out on this first cruise, I will probably start to book these group cruises just for the built in security and companionship.

Thanks so much Cruisemate. You are the best Cruise Board on the Web!!!

Even the debates on this board are funny and good natured.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

I think that singles groups can get better prices on Cat 1-A's because they book so many singles at one time. I have gotten great deals on Carnival with the cat- 1-a cabins through vtg. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 39
Default

Angel, thanks for that SUPERB post here about the VTG singles cruises. Lot's of great info about what to expect/the lay of the land, so to speak. since this will be my first solo cruise, I'm not always sure what to expect.
My agent is casey; I submitted my booking request on a Saturday night and he called me Sunday to confirm! What great service!

I agree, Cruisemates has the most informative and frank section for Single/Solo cruisers I've found. Keep it up!
__________________
Peggy
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default Re: Answer a simple question anyone!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I am booked on the Glory for 09/29/07, VTG has a singles group cruise for this same ship. Is it worth the extra $125 to go with VTG? Are the people friendly and inviting? I was not particularly impressed with the host that answered the phone when I called but it may have be me (not likely).

So far everything I have read on this thread speaks highly of VTG Singles cruises. Perhaps I should switch my reservation.

Any thoughts?
Hey IBCRUZIN,

My question to you is where are you getting the additional cost of $125? I am booked with VTG for the Halloween cruise out of Miami and my price is exactly the same as the same catagory stateroom if I booked directly with Carnival. In fact it is the same right down to the penny.

Now when I check on Singlescruise.com prices, and I have done 9 cruises with them, their prices consistently run $100 to $150 above what I can get directly from Carnival. That is one reason I am basically swithing to VTG at this time. Same or better service and product for less money. As for my comparisons I always do this the same day I book the cruise as prices change rapidly depending on when you book.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Bill, I have learned through the years that sometimes a cruise-line will lower their rates all of a sudden so they can get the business and once people start calling in and booking..... they raise the rates again to a normal price for the cruise.
I have also noticed that with VTG and Singlescruise.com they raise their rates when you book at the last minute like 3 weeks away from the date of the cruise. The reason being is that the lower catagories that are cheaper are sold out and they only have the higher catagories left. This is why I always book early with VTG.
If I am cruising SOLO I keep an eye on the rates and the minute I see a great deal I book it right away before the prices go up again. It is like the stock market.lol. If the rates go lower than I ask for a refund of the higher price I paid. That has been my experience.

One thing that really bugs me is when I ask cruisers on a ship how much they paid and it chaps my hide when I hear them say that got a cheaper rate than I did. It is unbelieveable to hear that some couple paid $479. total price each on a 7 day cruise. I always try to get the best deal.

I think Cruiser guy must have booked on a day that the rates were super low. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

O.K. here it is . . .

I booked a Cat 1A. on the Glory for 09/29/07. It was one of those 1a's with the picture windows. The cost was $618 total. VTG is offering Cat 4a (inside, no windows) for $753. Therefore, to go with VTG it will cost me an additional $135. However, since this itinerary has 3 sea days, I figure I will enjoy myself much more if I am part of a large social group and able to participate in their onship activities. I am getting ready to call Carnival and cancel my reservation and then call VTG and rebook through them.

Now when I go to Carnival website and try to book a solo in a Cat. 4A, the price is about $850. This is probably as a result of VTG buying up a bunch of their available 4A-G's which would cause the price of the remaining cabins in those categories to rise.

The picture window would have been nice but apples to oranges, I think I rather be part of the group since I do not spend much time in my cabin anyway.

Plus, I have the large balcony to enjoy whenever I want. (Some people refer to MY balcony as the Lido Deck. Never can figure that out though.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #71 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Peggy, thank you for the compliments of my writing about my personal experience with vtg singles.

I have a certain style of writing that the singles here have learned to reconize even if I used another user-name.lol. I used to be a great speller in school as I was growing up. But when I started college I decided to study Japanese for fun at a jr. college. That opened the door for me to attend several universities like UCLA. I am highly formally educated but my writing is bad because I learned other languages like Spanish, Italian, Portuguess and French. So when I pronounce a word in my head..... it is most likely a Spanish sounding voice that I hear in my head. For example; the word ugly... I like to prononce it ughly.
The word Burnaby....... I pronounce it Barnaby and I spell it that way.

Anyway..... sometimes I get harrassed by the English majors who can't stand my style of writing. But I tell them they don't have to read what I have to say. Plus I tell them that I do have partial vision due to inheriting the problem from my father. So when I write I can see my English grammer mistakes but my goal is to write as fast as I can so I can finish what I have to say.

I am just in the mood of letting people here know more about me so they can understand where I am coming from with my style of spelling and writing.

I am looking foreward to meeting you on a cruise ship. It is always fun for me to meet some to the cruise-mates from this message board on the ships. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
O.K. here it is . . .

I booked a Cat 1A. on the Glory for 09/29/07. It was one of those 1a's with the picture windows. The cost was $618 total. VTG is offering Cat 4a (inside, no windows) for $753. Therefore, to go with VTG it will cost me an additional $135. However, since this itinerary has 3 sea days, I figure I will enjoy myself much more if I am part of a large social group and able to participate in their onship activities. I am getting ready to call Carnival and cancel my reservation and then call VTG and rebook through them.
You must compare prices on the same day for the exact same category, that's the only way to have a far comparison. To say a 4A is more than a 1A, well that's normal most times. When I compare, again I do the exact catagory on the same day and when I compare VTG has always come up comparable to Carnival's price not more.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Bill, I have learned through the years that sometimes a cruise-line will lower their rates all of a sudden so they can get the business and once people start calling in and booking..... they raise the rates again to a normal price for the cruise.
I have also noticed that with VTG and Singlescruise.com they raise their rates when you book at the last minute like 3 weeks away from the date of the cruise. The reason being is that the lower catagories that are cheaper are sold out and they only have the higher catagories left. This is why I always book early with VTG.
If I am cruising SOLO I keep an eye on the rates and the minute I see a great deal I book it right away before the prices go up again. It is like the stock market.lol. If the rates go lower than I ask for a refund of the higher price I paid. That has been my experience.

One thing that really bugs me is when I ask cruisers on a ship how much they paid and it chaps my hide when I hear them say that got a cheaper rate than I did. It is unbelieveable to hear that some couple paid $479. total price each on a 7 day cruise. I always try to get the best deal.

I think Cruiser guy must have booked on a day that the rates were super low. Angel gal
Hey Angel Gal,

I think you will find if you call VTG or Singlescruise the same day their prices can compare with Carnival, at least that has always been my experience.

But I must admit my experience is with Carnival as they are the only ones I've cruised with earning me Platinum status.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: IL outside of STL
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Bill, I have learned through the years that sometimes a cruise-line will lower their rates all of a sudden so they can get the business and once people start calling in and booking..... they raise the rates again to a normal price for the cruise.
I have also noticed that with VTG and Singlescruise.com they raise their rates when you book at the last minute like 3 weeks away from the date of the cruise. The reason being is that the lower catagories that are cheaper are sold out and they only have the higher catagories left. This is why I always book early with VTG.
If I am cruising SOLO I keep an eye on the rates and the minute I see a great deal I book it right away before the prices go up again. It is like the stock market.lol. If the rates go lower than I ask for a refund of the higher price I paid. That has been my experience.

One thing that really bugs me is when I ask cruisers on a ship how much they paid and it chaps my hide when I hear them say that got a cheaper rate than I did. It is unbelieveable to hear that some couple paid $479. total price each on a 7 day cruise. I always try to get the best deal.

I think Cruiser guy must have booked on a day that the rates were super low. Angel gal
Hey Angel Gal,

I think you will find if you call VTG or Singlescruise the same day their prices can compare with Carnival, at least that has always been my experience.

But I must admit my experience is with Carnival as they are the only ones I've cruised with earning me Platinum status.

Bill
Good job Bill because Carnival is the hardest line out there to get to Platinum status. I just made Diamond on RCCL and look forward to my first cruise as a Diamond this Oct. Currently I have 5 Carnival cruises in the books with a Trans-Atlantic next April on the new Freedom.
__________________
Vince
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
O.K. here it is . . .

I booked a Cat 1A. on the Glory for 09/29/07. It was one of those 1a's with the picture windows. The cost was $618 total. VTG is offering Cat 4a (inside, no windows) for $753. Therefore, to go with VTG it will cost me an additional $135. However, since this itinerary has 3 sea days, I figure I will enjoy myself much more if I am part of a large social group and able to participate in their onship activities. I am getting ready to call Carnival and cancel my reservation and then call VTG and rebook through them.
You must compare prices on the same day for the exact same category, that's the only way to have a far comparison. To say a 4A is more than a 1A, well that's normal most times. When I compare, again I do the exact catagory on the same day and when I compare VTG has always come up comparable to Carnival's price not more.

Hope this helps,

Bill
No. Re-read my posts on this thread. When I compare the cost of an inside cabin, VTG was $753 and Carnival is almost $900 for a single person to be in a Cat. 4A. All of these comparisons were on the 09/29/07 Glory.

Now, what I had to compare was my Cat 1A with two picture windows for $618 on the ship alone versus Cat 4A with VTG (built in buddies) for $753.

After some thought I have decided to pay an additional $135 in order to go with VTG. As quiet as it is kept, most Cat 1A are just cat. 4A but on the first two levels and in the very front or back of the ship. The cabin layout is almost always the same. Since I usually book Cat. 1A and not picky as to location of my cabin, I compare the final cost to get on the ship. I don't generally book outside or balcony cabins.

Bottom line, for me, I am paying an additional $135 to be part of the fun that if a VTG Singles Cruise!!!! Remember, I am already on the ship with an outside cabin (windowed Cat. 1A -- there are only two on each ship).
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriloo
I thought 1As were all inside uppers and lowers (bunk beds). That's how they are defined by Carnival at least.
Nope. The pictures you see on the Carnival website and on some other sites are from old old, pre-refurbished ships. Nowadays, an upper and lower is usually a twin bed with the pull-down bed and perhaps a sofa. Most 1A's are inside cabins with two twin beds just like Cat. 4's or a twin bed and a sofa.

Several of the Cat. 1A's are shaped unusual -- with one bed and a sofa. However, inch by inch are a bit larger than a regular Cat. 4 inside.

Outside of that, the difference between the two categories is location. Cat. 1A's tend to be at the very front and very back of the ship on the Riveria and Main decks. Now there are also a few Cat. 1A's on one or two of the upper decks. Those two are probably oddly shaped.

I was on the Destiny in Oct, 06 and in a Cat. 1A with two portholes. It was on the Riveria (bottom) Deck the second cabin from the very front of the ship. It had a twin bed and a sofa and was huge!!! The good thing about this cabin was that getting off the ship at port was a breeze b/c I was one flight up and right near the stairway that led to the gangway. This was good for such a port-intensive itinerary as the Destiny.

There are two Cat. 1A on every ship which has two picture windows. Cabin No. 2465/2462. The room is quite large, larger than a Cat. 4A. They are located at the very back of the ship on the Riveria deck I believe. They go fast. This was initially the only reason I booked the Glory b/c I was finally able to get one of these cabins. They do not have two beds but rather a twin bed and a sofa. Outside Cabins have one picture window. These Cat 1A's have two picture windows. Pretty much wall-2-wall window.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
lauriloo's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 174
Default

Yes, the cabin I had didn't have the bunk beds like in the picture but the twin and the pulldown upper, which I still call bunk beds for all intents and purposes. Maybe it's the newer, larger ships that have 1As closer to 4As because I can't find outside 1As on the Fascination deck map. All the more reason to book a 1A Guarantee as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
Lauri

Carnival Fascination


Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

On my vtg singles cruise on the Carnival Triumph I had a fantastic Cat-1-A that had two port holes. A nice sofa, and a long dressing table that extended extra long. I noticed there were some upper beds hidden against the walls. The cabin had space for 4 to 5 persons. It was located on the Riviera deck. I thought it was beautiful. I loved it when the ocean waves would splash against my port hole windows. It was a bumpy ride so I have decided not to book foreward cabins anymore. I paid Solo for VTG Singles the price of $772. That cruise date was a cheapy cruise so that is why I guess I paid so little.
I did cruise SOLO without a singles group in Nov.06 on the Carnival Pride in a Cat.4-A insider on the 8th deck foreward for only $642. total price. I was amazed at the price. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price.

So there are some great deals to be had BUT... I prefer to cruise with VTG Singles just for the companionship of other singles. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriloo
Yes, the cabin I had didn't have the bunk beds like in the picture but the twin and the pulldown upper, which I still call bunk beds for all intents and purposes. Maybe it's the newer, larger ships that have 1As closer to 4As because I can't find outside 1As on the Fascination deck map. All the more reason to book a 1A Guarantee as far as I'm concerned.
You are right. The Fascination does not have the picture windowed 1A's. It is the newer ships that have these cabins. I know that the Glory/Liberty/ Freedom/Destiny/Victory/Valor/Triumph all have these 1A cabins.

I booked a 1A guarantee on the Fascination twice back in 2004 and the cabins I was assigned was 2 or 3 cabins from the very front of the ship. I don't know what category they were considered but they looked just like a 4A inside with two beds in a L-shape with the table and TV in between them. I keep the beds separate and use one to sleep in and one to lay out my outfits and to put all of my maps, capers, and other junk I collect.

On the Fantasy in 02/07 I booked a 1A and got an upgrade to a 4C but this cabin was smaller than any 1A I had ever been in. It had two beds but a tiny table with little or no counter space and not much walking room. It was across the hall from suites on this older ship and right where the suites started, the hall kind of bent and twisted to the right. I think in order to create the suites, the footage was taken from the inside cabins across from them. Note to self, no more Cat. 4's across from suites on older ships. Those greedy suite people steal your leg room :evil:

And yes, the foldaway beds are bunk beds for all intents. Unless it is on its very oldest ship(s), I don't think Carnival has any of the old styled, conventional bunk beds anymore.

Happy Cruzin'
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 148
Default

There are no 1A cabins with windows on the Fantasy class (Fantasy, Ecstacy, Fascination, Sensation, etc...) or Spirit class (Spirit, Pride Legend, & Miracle) ships. All of the 1A cabins on these ships have the upper/lower beds. Many times, if you book a 1A on one of these ships, you are actually upgraded to a category 4. Some people think that the 1A's on these ships have two beds, because they booked a 1A, and do not realize they have been upgraded to a category 4 cabin. Part of the reason for that is because your documents do not state that you have been upgraded.

The Destiny, Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, and Freedom have several 1A cabins with portholes on the Riviera and Main Decks. In addition, each of these ships have 2 cabins that have two windows toward the aft of the main deck. Most of the 1A's on these ships have 1 bed and a pull-out sofa, although there are a few 1A cabins that have the tradition upper/lower bedding arangement or two twin beds that can be converted into a king.
__________________
Fascination 09/2004
Carnival Triumph 11/2005
Sensation 05/2006
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!
Reply With Quote
  #81 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanshark
There are no 1A cabins with windows on the Fantasy class (Fantasy, Ecstacy, Fascination, Sensation, etc...) or Spirit class (Spirit, Pride Legend, & Miracle) ships. All of the 1A cabins on these ships have the upper/lower beds. Many times, if you book a 1A on one of these ships, you are actually upgraded to a category 4. Some people think that the 1A's on these ships have two beds, because they booked a 1A, and do not realize they have been upgraded to a category 4 cabin. Part of the reason for that is because your documents do not state that you have been upgraded.

The Destiny, Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, and Freedom have several 1A cabins with portholes on the Riviera and Main Decks. In addition, each of these ships have 2 cabins that have two windows toward the aft of the main deck. Most of the 1A's on these ships have 1 bed and a pull-out sofa, although there are a few 1A cabins that have the tradition upper/lower bedding arangement or two twin beds that can be converted into a king.
If what you say is true (which I do not doubt), then everytime I have booked a 1A guaranteed, I have been upgraded -- without fail b/c I have never been assigned a cabin with just one bed when booking 1A Guarantee. I did get a cabin with one bed when I picked that cabin specifically.

Good to know. However, I am just glad that I can get on the ship.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Cruiser guy, I once heard some singles say that they always booked cat-1-A guarantee because they always got upgraded to a cat 4-A or higher. Since you don't care what part of the ship you will be put in then that is a great deal for you.
Lately the winds have been bad when I cruise so I prefer to be located mid-ship or aft. There is less movement mid-ship. When the 30mile winds hit the ships it causes the rocking and the rolling. If my cabin is located in a upper deck I run down to the Lobby area and sit around until the winds calm down. I prefer the lower decks because there is less rocking mid-ship.

The people who buy the guarantees sometimes get real lucky and they may even get a balcony cabin. We call it "the upgrade faires". I call it
"Lady Luck" because it is a gamble when you book a guarantee because you never know where your cabin will be located. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 148
Default

[quote="IBCRUZIN'
If what you say is true (which I do not doubt), then everytime I have booked a 1A guaranteed, I have been upgraded -- without fail b/c I have never been assigned a cabin with just one bed when booking 1A Guarantee. I did get a cabin with one bed when I picked that cabin specifically.

Good to know. However, I am just glad that I can get on the ship. [/quote]

To get an upgrade, you pretty much have to book a guarantee cabin only. If you chose a specific cabin at the time of booking, they will not upgrade you except in very rare circumstances.... (A group needs your room, you chose a handicap-compliant room that is now needed for another passenger, etc....) Even then they sometimes contact you to ask if they can reassign your cabin, before processing the upgrade.
__________________
Fascination 09/2004
Carnival Triumph 11/2005
Sensation 05/2006
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default

Hey IBCRUISIN,

You are right about the $135 here and trust me it will be well worth it to be going with the group. I have done both the VTG and Singlescruise.com and always have a ball.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default

I always book a 1A when available and have been very lucky so far.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)  
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Hey IBCRUISIN,

You are right about the $135 here and trust me it will be well worth it to be going with the group. I have done both the VTG and Singlescruise.com and always have a ball.

Bill
Just this morning I booked the VTG cruise and cancelled the reservation I had made on my own.

It was actually only $745 or it as a difference of about $125. Considering it has so many at sea days (3), I am sure the $125 will be well worth have a better variety of activities on the ship will make it worth it.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)  
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Cruiser guy, I am happy for you that you booked with VTG Singles. You will have a great time with the group. VTG is always prepared to do lots of activities on board if for any reason the Captain decides not to stop at a port due to bad weather. That has happened at times with ships not stopping at a port. But the times I have cruised with VTG we were always lucky that we got to stop at each port. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)  
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Cruiser guy, I am happy for you that you booked with VTG Singles. You will have a great time with the group. VTG is always prepared to do lots of activities on board if for any reason the Captain decides not to stop at a port due to bad weather. That has happened at times with ships not stopping at a port. But the times I have cruised with VTG we were always lucky that we got to stop at each port. Angel gal
Well call up VTG and tell them they owe you a free cruise. It was your excellent narration of a VTG Singles cruise that turned the indecisive tide for me. I was wavering on the side of not doing a VTG Singles Cruise until I read your post.

They owe you a free cruz!!
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Cruiser guy, All of the VTG Hosts and hostesses have heard of me and they have been super nice to me. I am know by them as a serial cruiser.lol. We laugh together about that. They love it when I am super helpful to the new cruisers with VTG. They have done some nice things for me that is special just for me. I do plan to ask for a super discount
after I cruise with them a few more times. I plan to talk to the manager about it. You are right..... they should give me a free cruise for speaking so highly of them. Maybe they will read this and send me a private e-mail.lol.
I know they do read our cruise-mate website.

I always wanted to be a newspaper writer because I like to write short informative notices. I am too impatient to be a novel writer.
When I was a young girl I wanted to be a travel agent but they didn't pay enough money so I could support myself. I think those jobs may be closing down since you can now buy your own cruise ticket on the websites.
But I saved my money for many years and I am now free to travel whenever I want. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #90 (permalink)  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 543
Default

Angelgal,

You are going to be on VTG's Halloween Cruise out of Miami aren't you?

Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
125, birthdate, pay, singlescruisecom, vacationstogo, wrong

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Companion wanted for NY Singles Cruise yorkielover Seeking Cruise Companion 0 March 28th, 2010 12:19 PM
Looking for a singles cruise-February Sports Cruise? kellylongisland Singles 6 January 21st, 2008 07:15 PM
Labor Day cruise on Carnival Miricle with singles cruise.com aimsters Singles 1 June 7th, 2005 09:23 AM
Over 200 singles for July 4th Singles Cruisefor jul Pat Hagan, Singles Editor Singles 0 June 6th, 2002 09:53 AM
cruise with singles michael CruiseMates Group Cruises 1 June 7th, 2001 02:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1