Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Need Jeep/car rental in St. Maarten

Has anybody rented a jeep or car in the Carribean islands?

I am presently checking out Tropical/Topicana rent a car. I sent them an e-mail.

Any reccomendations on a rental company? Luci
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeoman

I can't recommend an agency there. Try going online and google. I have rented a Jeep in St. Maarten. Never again. We rode all the way around the island, and the roads were terrible. That was a few years ago. Maybe they have improved them, but I doubt it. Still, since you haven't done it, you might enjoy it, as it will be an adventure. Have fun!
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Yeoman

Thank you for the info. if the roads are terrible I can't afford to miss my ship if we should get a flat tire. I need to think about this.
Maybe the four of us singles can hire a taxi van to take us to Orient Beach and other places for a price for a few hours.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:57 AM
First Mate

If you feel this is for you and your friends do it, but do alot of research. Remember if you do lose track of time or get side track you can miss your boat. The ship will only wait for you if it's a cruise sponsored excursion.

As for the roads in most Caribbean island they are usually not in good shape because of the constant weather that hits it. Also some of the people in the Caribbean are not the greatest of drivers and mostly drive fast to get to point A to B. Be sure to obey the traffic laws, cops LOVE to take money from foreign drivers.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Yeoman

Hi Beetle, I don't think I am going to rent the jeep. You are right about the people on the islands. They are not that friendly either or helpful. One taxi driver didn't want to tell us about his island. HE said he would have to charge us more money if he had to give us tour guide information. Did he get a tip? "NO". Another time, we were told it would only cost us $2.00 EACH for a short ride in a taxi van. The lady driver told me to pay her $3.00. The price went up and I paid it to avoid a problem. This happened in St. Maarten.
Yes, policemen are not our friends on the islands or any 3rd world country.
Taxi drivers can be scary too when they start demanding more money as they are driving you in the middle of nowhere. That happened to my sister in Matzatclan, Mexico, and she is Mexican-American. He was totally disrespectful to my sister and he totally scared her too. Lucky she was with another couple that had money and paid him what he wanted.
Yep, we have to becareful in other countries.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Passenger

I just returned from a 9 day Caribbean cruise and rented a car in St. Lucia. It was a great way to see the entire island on your own schedule. It was $80 plus a $20 tax for the whole day. We were able to see everything on the island and if we would have rented a taxi or did an excursion for 3 of us, it would have run at least $100 more.

But this is just not the best way for everyone. The roads do tend to be rougher than in the US, smaller, and often not big enough for 2 lanes. Also, since most of the islands are very mountainous, they tend to be up and down hill when driving. And you have to make sure that you are back on time.

Do your research and if it's right for you, go for it...

Paul
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Yeoman

Hi, I once went on a tour bus all they way up to the top of a mountain in St. Lucia and then we went to the bottom to a private beach. It was fun.

I have decided just to take a taxi to the beach because there are always the local people who want to make money with their taxi vans ready to take you to the beach or anywhere you want to go. So, those are my plans.
Thank you for your response. Angel gal