Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Yeoman

Default Meeting & Greets - Carnival - 60 year old woman

We are thinking about sailing out the weekend after Christmas for a week long cruise. My mom is coming with us and she is 60. My dad just passed away this past new year eve and I want to make sure she meets people she can do things with besides our group. She isn't much for hanging out with us boring engineer types or the sun bathers in the crowd

How many single people her age will be on the ship during the Christmas break time? Or is this more of a family time for cruising? Will she get to meet others her age? Thanks, Carla
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Yeoman

Hi Carla, Christmas break and New Years week attracts a lot of couples and families. If you and your mom are single it will be really hard to find other singles. I have cruised on those weeks and I noticed that if you don't have a friend to cruise with you will be alone.
The best time to cruise is the first two weeks of December with a Hosted Singles group. I know your mom doesn't want to meet any men but she will meet plenty of women in her age group to hang out with and you also will meet singles to hang out with. It is better for your mom to cruise right before Christmas because it will get her out of her depression of losing your dad. There are a few gals & guys who are widows on each Singles group I cruise with each time. Some of them are still mourning their loss.

After this past year experience I have decided to never, ever cruise during the Christmas and New Years week even if I should have a boyfriend. It is just too crowed with families. They all stick together.

I suggest you look at the cruise-mate list of Singles groups to cruise with during the weeks before the Holidays. But I have a feeling that since you are an engineer... you most likely have two weeks off from work during the Christmas holidays.
You have asked for advice on our singles forum and this is my advice as a mature gal that loves to cruise. I usually find gal friends to hang out with. Your mom doesn't have to get envolved in any activities during the singles cruise and just hang out with some single gal friends that she will meet on the cruise ship. Send me a private message if you have more questions. Angel gal
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Yeoman

Thank you so much for the information!!

There will be a group of 8 for sure; Mom, Me, BF and BF's Family. Possibly 12-14 if my sisters tribe decides to go. So no singles besides my mom. She really wants to do a couple underwater excursions but my BF & I don't do water. Which is why I was hoping she would meet some other singles.

We are stuck going over the break because of school schedules. Plus I didn't want my mom stuck at home on the anniversary of my dad's death. Before he got cancer they were getting ready to retire and travel around the country.

I guess we will put our chin up and do our best 8) Thanks again, Carla
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM
Admiral

Carla you could ask the Matre'D to seat your group with some older single ladies if there are any on the ship when you eat dinner. Chances are better that there maybe other single older women then single men anyhow.

There is also usually a singles meet and greet one of the nights at one of the lounges, call the pursers desk and find out, have your Mom attend. I would think even if there are a lot of family there is a good chance there would be other widows cruising with theirs. Ships are so much more social then land based vacations. Im single and go with the singles cruises, but I've also meet familys I liked and hung out with. There are plenty of activities to choose from during the day, just read the ships paper they leave in your cabin so your Mom can choose which one's interest her. Hope this helps.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

Carla, I think you will have a great time on your cruise. I have been onboard for several of the 60+ cruises I have done during Christmas and New Year's and while the marjority are families, I met singles who did not want to be home alone for the holidays. They, like me, wound up with an adopted extended family and had a wonderful cruise. Just get out of your cabin and mingle. Also make sure to be out and about in the hours before both dinner seatings. That is usually when people are in their most friendly moods and open to meet strangers.

Good luck and be sure to post here after your cruise and tell us all about it. Also go to the singles section of Cruisemates and read all my articles on singles (and solos). I believe you will find much helpful information.

Email me if you need help with anything.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

I just want you to all know how much it means to me that helping us get through this first holiday without my dad.

I will definetly show her the singles articles and post here when we get back. Thanks every so much! Carla
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:26 AM
Passenger

Does mom have a friend that might want to go. At 60 she may have a female friend that is also alone for the holidays. That way they could pair off and do their own thing. I've cruised many times with my mother, but must admit... we both had more fun when she had a friend along.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Yeoman

Unfortunately she doesn't have anyone who can go on the cruise with her. She really doesn't have any single friends.

I think she will have a good time, my BF's mother and her friend (all near my mom's age) will be coming along. They plan on doing stuff with her. *crossing fingers* With a little luck I might be able to get her hooked