Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Larryb3
Default Halloween Cruises ??

I am thinking about booking the singlescruise.com Halloween crusie. They anticipate 400 - 450 singles onboard. This will be my first cruise.
I know these are the most popular so I was wondering about a few things .....

Since they are the most popular they are obviously the most crowded for the mixers, etc. Has anyone ever found that it is so crowded that it is difficult to attend these functions with so many people ?

Also , does this generally draw a younger crowd ? I am 46 and was just curious about the age group on a Halloween cruise. It DOES sound like fun and the price is great. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I went on the Halloween cruise a few years ago. Yes, having such a large crowd did make the parties very difficult to navigate because they tried to pack us into one party room. So you had to be strategic to get the drinks from the girl with the tray wading through the crowd and it was unlikely to find a seat. On the other hand, a large crowd increases your chances of finding someone you'd like to meet. Agewise, I'd say you're in the middle of the pack. I was 39 when I went and there were ages on either side, with more being older.

If you are a little shy and like the organized singles parties that kind of force you to interact, like speed dating and party games, then you'd like this setup. If you're not used to traveling alone it's also good for that because you can be with a group of likeminded people. If you like organized group events rather than planning your own fun, then yes. For me, I've opted to just cruise solo because it's cheaper even when getting my own cabin and I can do whatever I want. Guess I'm just an independent girl!

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Passenger

You're right in the middle of the age range for the Halloween cruises. They do tend to draw the biggest crowds and are a lot of fun. The biggest group that I have sailed with on that sailing is 300 so far and the biggest problem was it was next to impossible to get a drink at the free cocktail parties with so many people crowded together.

400 - 500 people in the group, IMHO, is just way to big for the cocktail parties but it will be great for the discos, dinners, etc.
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Beginner

WOW-- 400-500-- that is a TON of people---thank goodness we have two--whew--- get your Halloween costumes READY!!!! XXoo Logan
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Last years Carib Princess for Halloween had about 300-350 people in the singles group. I was not part of the group but booked the cruise because I figured there would be a lot more singles and there were. I also wanted to get a feel for how the singles group operated. I was able to meet them everywhere except their private parties but I will say a lot of them start the communication process before the cruise with their website/boards so once they were on the ship they had some direction about who was who. I usually travel single but I would consider one of these now even though it cost more money than doing it myself. I am already on a Oct 14 Mariner cruise so I won't be able to go on one of the Halloween singles cruises this year.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I remember the message board for my Halloween cruise. There eventually was quite a bit of squabbling and rude behavior on it that kind of made me regret being on it. But then again, I had an idea of the people I would avoid on board. There was also a professional hypnotist who insisted he could make me feel something miraculous if I would agree to a hypnosis session in his cabin, lol. Wouldn't tell me what it was but I think I had an idea but wasn't quite curious enough to take him up on it. The only guy I was attracted to "brought sand to the beach" in that he cruised with two buddies and two girls who were supposed to be "just friends" but they ended up hooking up. Then he tells me he wishes he could get to know me but now he was stuck with her. Nice!

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="lauriloo"]Yes, I remember the message board for my Halloween cruise. There eventually was quite a bit of squabbling and rude behavior on it that kind of made me regret being on it. But then again, I had an idea of the people I would avoid on board. There was also a professional hypnotist who insisted he could make me feel something miraculous if I would agree to a hypnosis session in his cabin, lol. Wouldn't tell me what it was but I think I had an idea but wasn't quite curious enough to take him up on it.

- So I wonder how many women have fallen for that line. I think your instinct was correct on that one for sure. Funny you should mention the squabbling because although I wasn't part of the group I knew someone who was (last years Halloween sailing) and they said the same thing. She was part of our large CC group but also sailing with the singles group so she gave us insight about what was going on. I will say I did meet some nice people even though I wasn't in the group.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Yeoman

Since I live in the Los Angeles area I am planning to book the Halloween cruise with VTG.... Golden Princess. I will not have to fly which is great.

I don't drink much so my favorite part is participating in the vtg ice breaker activities when I feel like participating. Plus, it is really fun to choose a table and just have different singles sit with me each night. Eventually, the same singles choose to sit together each night. That is when I have the best time. Plus, I am a loner type that likes to do my own thing so I choose to also mingle with the regular cruisers too. I also get my own cabin. It is great having my own cabin and worth it.

HALLOWEEN IS FANTASTIC!!! I love the costumes that people wear. I have already chosen a Pirate wench outfit that I bought in St. Thomas Island. I bought the hat, eye patch, and the St. Thomas flag. I have my whole costume ready. yeah!

I think all the ships will have a fantastic halloween night. I am truly looking foreward to that cruise. Angel gal
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Yeoman

It is not too early to be thinking about costumes for your Halloween cruise. Ebay always has a lot up for auction. I've gotten a few outfits at a reasonable price.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Halloween Cruises ??

Larry, large crowds are GREAT as Lauriloo said there is a good possiblity that you will meet someone on the cruise.

I have been on smaller cruises and the selection was next to nothing. Remember it's not the big parties to mingle but BEFORE and AFTER the parties where you can single out women to work your magic.

After careful thought I want to go on Single Cruises than VTG.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

I cruised on Halloween out of the west coast. I heard that the Florida cruises attracted a lot of singles. VTG had 300 singles out of Miami. VTG had 200 cruisers out of Los Angeles. Since I was cruising with VTG out of Los Angeles.... our group was perfect for meeting eachother and really getting to know some of the singles.
It doesn't matter what size of group you are with because you really can't meet everybody because people create their own groups of friends to hang out with. Some singles decide just to leave the group and do their own thing.
On my last cruise in March a friend of mine met a guy and they became fast friends. They hung out together the whole week. They were in their 50's and the guy was a real gentleman. He sent her flowers to her cabin.
He lives close to where she lives so they have a better chance of becoming a match. They were already making plans on the ship to start dating when they would get home. The guy was serious about my friend and was looking for a girlfriend and not a fling. She was happy and surprised that she met someone so fast. I was happy for her.

A fling is when a guy asks me what my cabin number is. I just laugh in his face and he gets the message.lol. I did notice some gals chasing after some guys and the guys were doing the same.

There have been men that I have met who have lost their wives through divorce or death. Some of them seem sad and they tell me their stories. I like to hear stories whether sad or happy.

I chase after the guys in my age group just to get to know them better.lol
Some guys do chose to spend some time with me so they can get to know me. One guy told me he doesn't like gals to wear perfume. I love to wear perfume. I crossed him off my list of possibilites. See... how shallow I am? I am not giving up my perfumes. Every day on the ship I walk into the ship's stores and I spray myself with different expensive perfumes. I walk away smelling like a English Garden.lol. Angel gal
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Halloween Cruises ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryb3
I am thinking about booking the singlescruise.com Halloween crusie. They anticipate 400 - 450 singles onboard. This will be my first cruise.
I know these are the most popular so I was wondering about a few things .....

Since they are the most popular they are obviously the most crowded for the mixers, etc. Has anyone ever found that it is so crowded that it is difficult to attend these functions with so many people ?

Also , does this generally draw a younger crowd ? I am 46 and was just curious about the age group on a Halloween cruise. It DOES sound like fun and the price is great. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Hey Larry,

I would recommend the VTG Halloween cruise out of Miami this year. My reasons are simple,

1.) Miami is a better port to cruise out of
2.) The crowd will be more managable and just as fun
3.) You get 4 ports in 7 days compared to 3
4.) The airport is definitely closer than at Port canaveral
5.)The ships are virtually identical so no downside there

Don't get me wrong the Singlescruise.com cruise will be great but I did that cruise 2 years ago and i don't like how far the port is from the airport. Also since they are only doing 1 this year the crowd is going to be too large in my opinion. Like Paul said you will hardly be able to get your free drink in the coctail parties.

VTG is doing 2 this year, I did the Mexican Riviera last year and am coming back to Miami this year and so are a lot of those other people from last year, we had a great bunch.

Bill
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
booboo4031

I'm going back to miami this year too. We did have a great group on the Mexican Riviera cruise last year and a lot of the west coast people are joining us in Miami this year

It should be a great cruise.

Diane
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

Yes, it's true that the vtg singles who cruised out of L.A. have said they are booking vtg Miami for Halloween because they want to see the Carribean. I am guessing that singles who have never been to the Mexican-Riviera will now want to cruise out of L.A./SanPedro Port.
I don't like to fly because I get bored and I save money by leaving out of my home port. I just cruise just to be on the ocean. I love the ocean. I have already seen most all of the ports in the carribean.
The SALES PEOPLE in the Mexican ports already know me.lol. I like getting a cheapy massage in Matzatclan. I do enjoy the Mexican ports.

I already have my new Halloween costume. yea!! I can hardly wait. Angel
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM
First Mate

Though I LOVE to go with VTG after browsing Singlescruise website they seem to be more organized and only have one Halloween cruise and that is in the Caribbean.
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator
Though I LOVE to go with VTG after browsing Singlescruise website they seem to be more organized and only have one Halloween cruise and that is in the Caribbean.
Hey Beetlegator,

Trust me, Singlescruise is not more organized, their web sight may appear to be but they are most definitely not more organized than VTG.

I've done both.

Bill
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Yeoman

Hey Beetle, please listen to Bill because he has cruised many times with singlescruise.com and he does know the difference between the two travel singles agencies. Angel gal
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM
First Mate

Wow, I may have to rethink Singlescruise.com I must make my decision soon because I will be sending my deposit.

Ok, I will look into VTG and really compare with SC.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yeoman

Hey Beetle, I have met Bill and several other posters who post here on this website. I was told by several singles that they have compared both groups and they prefer VTG because they have more fun with the group.

I personally think that VTG is more organized because when you put your deposit down you can ask for your booking number and even cabin number if you want to know it right away. Whereas...Singlescruise.com makes you wait a few months before they tell you. I don't like that. I think that is a major flaw they have because I want to make sure the cruise line has my deposit by checking with them by using my booking number. This is my proof that the cruiseline has my reservation. I always check right away with the cruiseline website to see my reservation.

I have communicated with you several times and I am only giving you this information because I care about you and I know you want to make sure to pick the best group for you. Angel gal
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Quote:
SC used to have 2 cruises at Halloween, too. I'll let you figure out why they only have one this year.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yeoman

Here are my quesses:

1. Singles have told me that they like VTG better than SC because VTG
is more fun?

2. Singles don't like paying that extra fee and they also charge more than VTG so they are losing customers?

3. They are not REALLY that organized because they are having internal management problems? I think Steve left their company because he agreed with us cruisers that they had serious flaws in their company?

4. My last guess is that the cruiselines didn't want to do too much business with them because SC attracts a roudy loud group?

SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER? Please send me a private message so you can tell me the truth because I know you know the truth. My lips are sealed if you tell me. My enquiring mind wants to know. Angel gal
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Send me a PM too Angelgal...I would love to know also.

Thanks
Larry

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yeoman

Hi Larry the answer was very obvious because it is part of SC's policy of charging a cancellation fee of $50. I had forgotten about that. VTG doesn't charge a cancellation fee. They just un-book you and give you back your deposit.
When I called SC thay had told me about their fees and I didn't like the idea of having to pay a cancellation fee. What they do is to encourage the singles to buy cancellation insurance so that way they are able to charge the fee. But I think their main problem as I talk with cruisers who have cruised with SC is that they tell me they prefer VTG because it is just more fun. VTG has return customers that used to cruise with SC but now they prefer to cruise with VTG. These are the facts that I have learned about SC. I wouldn't mind paying the extra fees if it is a fun group but some SC cruisers say differently. I am sure there are some SC cruisers that are loyal and love cruising with SC and will continue cruising with them. Angel gal
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yeoman

Angelgal & Others,

It is quite simple, MONEY! Singlescruise numbers are dropping from what Carlson expected when they bought the company. Since Carnival gives a larger discount the more passengers on a given ship Singlescruise is going back to one Halloween cruise. This will elevate their numbers and therefore they can make more, you guessed it, MONEY!!!!

My source confirms that when they took over they expected each and everycruise to top 300 people. Quite simply it aint happening and they are now forced to take drastic measures to get the numbers up. I just got back from the April 1st cruise and what a fiasco it was.

Are you ready for this, they had a 20s & 30s cruise and a regular cruise on the same ship. There were a lot of unhappy people on both sides here but hey Carlson was trying to get the numbers up on a cruise and make more, you guessed it, MONEY!!!

In other words they are cutting back because they need more people to get a larger discount from Carnival and make more, again you guessed it, MONEY!!!

Donald Trump would be proud, well actually not as he wouldn't run his cruises this way.

OK enough rambling for me tonight,

Bill
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Im extemely happy with Vacations to Go I've heard lot's of complaits about Singlescruise though that they are not as organized as they used to be, the groups are getting too large and people have a hard time trying to meet so many folks. I also know at least 6 people booked on the VTG cruise from Miami including some very pretty ladies. FYI
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Well I'm all booked for Halloween on SC. Airfare and all so I am just going to ride it out. Being my first cruise, I will probably love it since I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe the new CEO will fix things, who knows. I gonna give it my best shot and give SC a fair chance. I do however, appreciate the information all of you have given about them.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

Hey Larry, I know you will have a wonderful time with the singles group.
You most likely will meet a few singles to hang out with and that is all you need to have a great time. You should also book or plan some tours when you get on the ship so you can see the islands better.
I know you will return super happy from your cruise because it will be your first cruise and you will love the cruise experience and the group experience.
Some of us experienced cruisers are spoiled because we know the difference on what to expect from a organized singles group.
For many years I traveled with Travelin Singles and that group had a lot of flaws but I would still book with them because I wanted to travel with a singles group. It was like a box of chocolates..... we never knew what we were going to get because our leader would book us and he would not know what we were getting into. Sometimes we would stay in a 5 star hotel and other times we would stay at a 1 star hotel for one night.
But you know what? I still had a lot of fun.

Well Larry, I promise you that you will have a great time cruising because the ship also has their own activities to participate in and all the free food you can eat. Your cabin will be cleaned up twice per day. You can order room service and watch a movie on the t.v. You can attend the Trivia games that the ship offers, you can go find a quiet place to just sit and look out at the beautiful ocean and then fall asleep with a quick nap,
and can go see the Las Vegas type of shows that is also included with funny comedians, you will be free from phone calls on the ship, etc.
Those are the things that make me happy on a cruise ship.

I have cruised 20+ times and I have always enjoyed myself. Angelgal
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM
First Mate

Thanks Angelgal for your information.

Actually, since I been on several cruises it more meeting the people instead of how the travel agency is organized even though it is important. I usually keep to myself than do group activities. I have heard great things about VTG and really look into comparing it with SingleCruise before I make my decision on my deposit.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:25 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOnJuly4th
Quote:
SC used to have 2 cruises at Halloween, too. I'll let you figure out why they only have one this year.
, so what are you trying to say, Born.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Passenger

The singlescruise ship has a group of 400 to 450 of cruisen with the oldies, on the same ship. So there will be two large groups on that ship.