Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska Cruise: VTG or Cruising for Love - Any advice?

I really want to go on an Alaskan Cruise this summer. But do not want to do this by myself. I called Ann at Cruising for Love and asked her about the name of her company. She agreed it does give a wrong connotation about the company - and that her cruising is not a "dating/matching/hooking up" cruise. I felt better after talking with her.

I'm in my mid-30's; past the college years (translation: done with booze cruises); looking for a fun group with hang out with but yet not stupidly wild; guess really looking for a classy group of people to meet.

I have been on Royal, Princess and Carnival. Have no desire to ever step foot on Carnival ever again! I've been on Carnival once - their staff treated us so poorly that I wrote a letter to complain and got a 2 for 1 offer from them for the next cruise. Needless to say, I never used it. I am a Loyal Royal and prefer to continue to cruise with them.

VTG - is with Princess whereas "Crising for Love" is with Royal. Both have the same itinerary. One is in early July and the other in late July.

So...trying to get people's input re: Cruising for Love. Has anyone been on a cruise with them (I saw a posting on this but it really didn't have much meat to it)? I hear a lot about VTG. I prefer Royal over Princess but do not know if Cruising for Love puts on a fun, good cruise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to b4coco Send a message via Yahoo to b4coco

IM ALSO LOOKING FOR THE SAME INPUT CFL vs VTG vs LIKE TO ADD SINGLECRUISE.COM THANKS
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Passenger

From what I have read online, SinglesCruise.com is predominantly on Carnival Cruise Line. That reason alone is why I ruled them out. I find CCL to be of lesser "quality" i(just my personal opinion) and attracts such. i have read people have fun on their cruises...but it's still CCL...
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Yeoman

I know singles who have cruised with Ann's singles and singlescruise.com. They are both good singles groups but I think that VTG Hosted Singles is the better one if you ask other singles who have cruised with all three groups.
But I think you should cruise with whatever group you want to cruise with because you will still have fun nomatter who you cruise with.

I totally agree with you that the Carnival ships are lousy. They are the fun ships but I prefer class, service, and great food.
Except for the Carnival Pride.... I thought that Carnival Valor and Carnival Triumph are not up to par with the other cruise companies. When I get in their cruise ships I get a feeling I am in a cheapy Las Vegas hotel. They are yucky ships. The only thing that makes a difference is being with a Singles group.
It is best to cruise with Princess for Alaska. You will have a great time.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Angelgal: You said "It is best to cruise with Princess for Alaska. You will have a great time" - Why? Just wanted to get your thoughts on why Princess is better than Royal?
Thanks!
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to b4coco Send a message via Yahoo to b4coco

i was also told that princess is the best for alaska, i sent that to jen in a private email. yes why is princess better than RCCL
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default RCCL vs Princess vs HAL in Alaska

HAL or Princess are upper tier for Alaska. A bit more sophisticated and classy, but less singles oriented than RCCL or Carnival. Best to check their web sites for onboard pics or check out their videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen70
...why Princess is better than Royal?
Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Yeoman

My reasons for saying that vacationstogo.com singles on the Golden Princess is a better ship is because every time vtg singles cruise to Alaska with vtg on the Princess ships they have the most wonderful time ever.

I have also cruised on a Princess ship and they were able to get as close as possible to the glaciers in Alaska. Some of the larger ships are not able to get really close to the glaciers.

I don't know which RCCL ship is also cruising to Alaska so I can't tell you about them. The smaller the ship the better chances you have of getting closer to the glaciers.

I keep track of cruise ships that go to Alaska and it is really funny when some cruisers say that the ship was soooo big/mega that they couldn't even get close to the glaciers and sometimes the larger ships choose to not even try to get close to the glaciers. They are afraid of having a Titanic experience because there are lots of glaciers under the ocean too. They have to manuver the ships around the underwater glaciers.

Royal Carribean is a great cruiseline but I have only been on two RCL ships but never to Alaska with them. Angel gal
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Angelgal,

Crusing for Love is going on RCCL Vision of the Sea for Alaska. Is this one of those ships you referred to as "mega" such that we will not be able to get too close to the glaciers?

Thanks for the help!!
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Reefs, rocks and glaciers - Angelgal you get up close and personal to them from your ship - I'll dive them, climb them, and observe them from Paradise at Mt. Rainier or up on Glacier Pass in Montana. That said I swim the reefs with sharks and stingrays, but I am well aware of the Prinsendam and all the other ships and ferrys that got a wee bit too close up there because someone wanted a peek at something. 8)

You are right though about not taking a megaship to Alaska - good advice that.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I have also cruised on a Princess ship and they were able to get as close as possible to the glaciers in Alaska. Some of the larger ships are not able to get really close to the glaciers.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Admiral

I have cruised with both companies never to Alaska.

The size of the groups are much smaller on Cruising for Love, which is not good for romantic prospects but better for group bonding and friendships formed.

Vacations has much bigger groups, but I like them so much Im about to do my 3rd cruise with them. Very well organized, very professional.

Cost wise can vary, I've seen some cheaper cruises on Vacations to Go and sometimes on Crusing for Love. As for RCL vs Princess, well I've heard many wonderful stories about Princess, great food and service, haven't heard as much about RCL but Dave the Wave loves em. I've only been on Carnival and Costa. Weather wise I would choose the later summer cruise. Ann does also give an additional price discount to people who have cruised with her before, Vacations to Go does not. Hope this helps.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Admiral

For the views in Seattle, the last week of July/first week of August is historically the sweet spot, or so says this exSeattlite. Selected that time for my 7 day on the Amsterdam leaving Seattle and was not disappointed there or up in Alaska. There is no guarantee on the weather, but the odds for good weather increase the closer you are to this time period. Unfortunately the prices increase then, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Weather wise I would choose the later summer cruise.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeoman

I cruised on Princess, July 6th week, to Alaska and the weather was nice and warm except when the ship got real close to the glaciers and I was right in front of the crowd. But it was nice. I could also see blue pieces of ice in the water. I wanted to take a piece home.lol. After we left the glaciers almost everybody craved ice cream and I saw lots of people eating ice cream cones.lol. I thought that was cute. It was as if since they couldn't touch or eat the glacier at least they could eat second best.
We did have some spotty warm rain that would come and go and the warm sun would come out. But nobody wore heavy coats into the ports. They just wore jogging outfits and windbreakers. We left our heavy coats on the ship.

The weather in Alaska is like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you are going to get. I heard that the week after my cruise they had strong winds come into the inside passage and it was hitting the ship and making it rock and roll. Sometimes it just rains in every port. Sometimes the fog comes in and makes it impossible to go to the glacier areas. This is something that can happen any week. But most of the time the weather is really nice.

Both ships are NOT mega ships. But my travel agent told me a long time ago that the food was not great on the RCL Vision. I don't know if that has changed. I also read on this website that Cruising for Love attracts Dorks. But that doesn't mean that things havin't changed. I think each singles group always has a few dorks. A dork is someone not compatiable with the group.

Princess has great food and they have been working on making it better. I like to eat great foods and I also like VTG Singles. I have already cruised with them 4 times and I have already booked 2 more future cruises with them.

My advice is to follow your intuition which is your gut feelings on what ship and singles group you want to cruise with and you will have a great time nomatter which ship or group you want to cruise with. Angel Gal
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Admiral

One thing about glaciers is that they are alive in a sense. You can hear them moaning which is eery where you approach them by sea and it is misty or snowing and the sound is muffled, or if you camp, say at Mt. Rainier, and hear them echoing off in the distance. 8) Hope to take my son to see some this summer because, as with the coral reefs, most will not survive his lifetime. The lower 48 glaciers are retreating fast.

Quote:
I cruised on Princess, July 6th week, to Alaska and the weather was nice and warm except when the ship got real close to the glaciers and I was right in front of the crowd. But it was nice. I could also see blue pieces of ice in the water. I wanted to take a piece home.lol. After we left the glaciers almost everybody craved ice cream and I saw lots of people eating ice cream cones.lol. I thought that was cute. It was as if since they couldn't touch or eat the glacier at least they could eat second best.
We did have some spotty warm rain that would come and go and the warm sun would come out. But nobody wore heavy coats into the ports. They just wore jogging outfits and windbreakers. We left our heavy coats on the ship.

The weather in Alaska is like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you are going to get. I heard that the week after my cruise they had strong winds come into the inside passage and it was hitting the ship and making it rock and roll. Sometimes it just rains in every port. Sometimes the fog comes in and makes it impossible to go to the glacier areas. This is something that can happen any week. But most of the time the weather is really nice.

Both ships are NOT mega ships. But my travel agent told me a long time ago that the food was not great on the RCL Vision. I don't know if that has changed. I also read on this website that Cruising for Love attracts Dorks. But that doesn't mean that things havin't changed. I think each singles group always has a few dorks. A dork is someone not compatiable with the group.

Princess has great food and they have been working on making it better. I like to eat great foods and I also like VTG Singles. I have already cruised with them 4 times and I have already booked 2 more future cruises with them.

My advice is to follow your intuition which is your gut feelings on what ship and singles group you want to cruise with and you will have a great time nomatter which ship or group you want to cruise with. Angel Gal
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

Hey Dive guy, I agree with you. My little grandson said he wants to see Anartica. He didn't say why he wanted to see it. But I think I will take him to see Alaska next summer so at least he can see the glaciers. I don't want him to miss out on at least seeing Alaska. He will be 10yrs old next year.
Angel Gal
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Passenger

ok thanks everyone for your great input! they helped.

i just got back from a cruise on the Grand Princess. the crew was great. however, the food on the trip was somewhat less than desirable. buffet line seemed to be the same day after day. i was stuck eating the buffet line most of the time because princess messed up my meal request. i am a vegan - told the wiat staff this but they could not anything about it while on board. i wrote a letter to princess afterwards. they only they have said was...we got your meal requests but OOPS we goofed. that was it. in fact, thinking about it now, this ship didn't have that "must see/have" midnite gala with all the chocolate, ice or food carvings, etc.

i've been on RCCL 2 times beofre and loved them both! the only complaints are the rooms are smaller room. but the food was fantabulous on the ships and i'd take great good any day!!! :-)

so with the crap shoot i may get in company, i may bring my niece along on the trip and share the room with her. however, outside of these organized events, does anyone know if the cruise lines have their own organzed singles events. i mean, my niece and i are close, but there are times i want to either be by myself or with other singles....
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Antartica is a hard continent to see - trips are rare and usually involve some seas that can get rough (might want to check past cruisers on the itinerary and cosider inside and middle rooms for stability).

BTW, grandkiddo can learn to dive next year. My kiddo learned at 10. You could do worse than chum him to the manatees in Crystal River, Florida or toss him into the Living Seas Aquarium at Epcot. 8) Can provide details if you go that route.

Alaska is cool for the kiddos, especially the eagles, whales, otters and salmon runs. If in Seattle, you want to see the aquarium and possibly the locks, if kiddo has not seen locks and fish ladders.

Be sure to take in a Salmonbake in Juneau near a river with a salmon run in it.

BTW, I do the Oceanography Merit Badge for the scouts, Diving for Science with Texas State and my kiddo is Project AWARE certified. This global warming thing is for real folks, as is the collapsing state of most of the world's fisheries. See National Geographic's latest issue for an update on the your kiddo's inheritance.

Quote:
Hey Dive guy, I agree with you. My little grandson said he wants to see Anartica. He didn't say why he wanted to see it. But I think I will take him to see Alaska next summer so at least he can see the glaciers. I don't want him to miss out on at least seeing Alaska. He will be 10yrs old next year.
Angel Gal
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yeoman

Hey Jen, it would have helped if you had told us that you are a Vegan. The best ship for that special diet is the Norwegian ships because they have a vegetarian buffet every day. I know that Vegans have a super reristricted diet and it is hard to keep you happy.
I think that people in special diets are supposed to let the restaurant manager know in advance. I have seen a lady who was on a special diet because she was alergic to wheat plan her meals every day with the Matri-di. It wasn't a problem with Princess.
But I guess mistakes can happen if you don't remind them the day before about your special diet.
I love the salads on the Princess ships. I love to ask for a salad with lettuce, tomatos, cucumbers and sliced avocado with the dressing on the side. yum.

Hey Diver guy, my grandson swims like a fish and also does high diving. His father almost joined the Navy Seals but decided to come home. So my grand-son has a great role model for ocean swimming. I love swimming too. When I was a teenager my mom wouldn't let me learn how to dive. I only learned to snorkle. But now it doesn't matter anymore since I just love to swim as much as possible. The oceans are getting too dirty too for snorkling. Angel gal
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Cool, my kiddo hasn't gotten into high diving yet, although he does a mean giant stride from the dive boats. Some of the ocean areas are indeed a bit polluted for snorkling (and fishing, too). Do you go out to the beach in LA? I used to live in RPV and the only area I would swim was down in Newport Beach. I lived, went to school and played beach blanket bingo in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Los Angeles Counties before I was condemned to live in Texas, a place I assure none of you in California or the East Coast want to move to. About 6 of my son's cousins died at the Alamo, so I've grudgingly been issued a temporary visa and remanded into my native born Texan's custody. 8)

Quote:
Hey Diver guy, my grandson swims like a fish and also does high diving. His father almost joined the Navy Seals but decided to come home. So my grand-son has a great role model for ocean swimming. I love swimming too. When I was a teenager my mom wouldn't let me learn how to dive. I only learned to snorkle. But now it doesn't matter anymore since I just love to swim as much as possible. The oceans are getting too dirty too for snorkling. Angel gal