Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default Who has a high risk personality?

delete
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Who has a high risk personality?

Low risk taker over here. I'm an auditor/fraud examiner/master diver/divemaster/life guard/dive control specialist (last test a few hours ago - yipee!). Yet I manage to travel the world taking a 1 through 11 year old in tow, diving with sharks and rays, camping with grizzly bears, rattlesnakes, fire ants, and etc. with all our fingers and toes intact.<g> Its all about managing risk and mitigating controls. I don't take kiddo anywhere I have not scouted out real well. Both kiddo and I are also CPR/First Aid/AED certified and able to handle emergencies. Twenty years before Cruisemates cruise folk were exchanging info and that is the name of the game. Know where you go before you arrive there. Know your local areas so you walk like a local and can focus on suspicious people and the surroundings. Always have contingency plans. Learned this well in the days when exit interviews were required to get permission to go abroad.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I am the type of person that hopes and dreams of going places but a lot of the times I don't go because I am not a high risk taker. I am more of a person who wants a sure thing where I am guaranteed that everything will go smoothly. BUT TODAY...... I decided to take my chances and booked a hotel with no refund if I change my mind. But I said to myself that I wasn't going to change my mind even if things go wrong. It is time for me to change my personality and take risks. I have been wanting to visit Victoria BC for three years now.... and finally I have taken the risk of buying my cruise/hotel/air.... and I hope that everything works out for me. My intuition tells me it will.
Every year I hoped I could find a friend to go with me but I feel that even if I have to go by myself..... I am finally going.

I like cruising because once I am on the ship everything is there for me to enjoy including the ports. I don't have to worry about packing or unpacking for each port if I was traveling by land. I don't like making decisions for myself but I have to if I want to travel. Angel gal
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to Larryb3
Default

I'm a lot like you angelgal, I like for everthing to be confirmed and in order when I travel. Lately, I have done what you just did, I booked my air so I couldnt change my mind. Go for it and dont regret it or worry about it. Just go and have fun.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

delete
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

Yes, I'm both (spent most of my summers in Montana's grizzy bear country as a kid but lived the rest of the year on the California coast).

Vancouver is relatively safe, as you know, but some of those cheapy hotels are iffy. Best city on that coast - sorry, San Francisco. Bus should be OK and the sky train is much better than the red line. The blend in approach is good although Californians are more accepted there than in other places.

You might consider a night view from the tower (Vancouver Lookout), ala Seattle, or the garden at night at Victoria, although it is probably too cool right now.

For fun go for a seaplane ride or I dare you to walk on that notorius suspension bridge! More tamer fun is the ferry across to the northside or the Aquarium.

Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Diver guy, it looks like you are the outdoors type of land and sea.
You are so right about checking things out before heading out to some place. I feel comfortable going to Vancouver because I have been there before. I wanted to stay at a B&B but I didn't want to risk staying in a location outside of the city. I am more of a city gal where the day action is located for me. I prefer the city area since I can take the local bus to take me everywhere. I like the local buses because I get to see the people as they get on the bus and off the bus and I get to see the neighborhoods. I like shopping in the Malls too. I am able to picture myself in my mind that I am there already.

I plan to dress simple with dark colors so I can blend in with the local people. No fancy clothes or jewelry that makes me look like an outsider. I walk and act as if I belong in any city. I am not a night person so I like to stay in my cozy hotel room and watch t.v. and read the local newspaper.
I am more of a coach potato in the evenings and just like to stay home and I make my hotel room like a regular night at home which is great for me.

Hi Larry, most of the time I like to book directly with the airlines in case I need to make changes. I also like to book directly with the hotels too because if there is a problem with a reservation it is their problem and they need to fix it.
I don't mind buying my cruises from travel agents on-line because sometimes they have better deals than the cruiselines. I protect myself from scamm artists by using my American Express card. I also ask for my booking number and cabin number as I make my deposit. Then I go to the cruiseline website and I find myself on the website and I register myself.
I like to have everything planned out in advance so I don't have to worry about anything. I plan to make myself at home in Vancouver. I can hardly wait to get there.
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

I am less high risk but more adventurous.

I am usually game for any adventure once as long as it doesn't appear to be overly dangerous or unwise.

My adventurous spirit is how I learned to travel solo. I tend to feel hampered by travel companions b/c then I have to confer with someone before I plan my time.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

delete
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: Who has a high risk personality?

Angelgal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am the type of person that hopes and dreams of going places but a lot of the times I don't go because I am not a high risk taker. I am more of a person who wants a sure thing where I am guaranteed that everything will go smoothly. BUT TODAY...... I decided to take my chances and booked a hotel with no refund if I change my mind. But I said to myself that I wasn't going to change my mind even if things go wrong. It is time for me to change my personality and take risks. I have been wanting to visit Victoria BC for three years now.... and finally I have taken the risk of buying my cruise/hotel/air.... and I hope that everything works out for me. My intuition tells me it will.
Every year I hoped I could find a friend to go with me but I feel that even if I have to go by myself..... I am finally going.

I like cruising because once I am on the ship everything is there for me to enjoy including the ports. I don't have to worry about packing or unpacking for each port if I was traveling by land. I don't like making decisions for myself but I have to if I want to travel.
Yes, cruising should be the ideal vacation for you!

I also am a believer in not taking undue risk, but I refuse to sit home and do nothing. If one believes the statistics, the most dangerous place to be is in bed. So many more people die there than anywhere else that it overwhelms any statistical weighting by the number of hours that we spend in various places!

I do the "pay in advance" hotel discounts quite often, and have "lost" only once. Unfortunately, my mother died quite unexpectedly on the day that I had planned to leave on a trip. Overall, I'm way ahead on those deals.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Who has a high risk personality?

REV22:17:

Will be over your way after I fly to Seattle, train to Canada, take a 1 day trip on the Noordam back to Seattle and fly to Manchester, New Hampshire. Can you advise what to expect concerning midday traffic around the Hingham, Massachusetts area? My kiddo's a Lincoln on his mother's side and I'm planning to swing by the old church and cemetery to take pictures while I'm there.

Thanks,

Dave
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Angelgal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am the type of person that hopes and dreams of going places but a lot of the times I don't go because I am not a high risk taker. I am more of a person who wants a sure thing where I am guaranteed that everything will go smoothly. BUT TODAY...... I decided to take my chances and booked a hotel with no refund if I change my mind. But I said to myself that I wasn't going to change my mind even if things go wrong. It is time for me to change my personality and take risks. I have been wanting to visit Victoria BC for three years now.... and finally I have taken the risk of buying my cruise/hotel/air.... and I hope that everything works out for me. My intuition tells me it will.
Every year I hoped I could find a friend to go with me but I feel that even if I have to go by myself..... I am finally going.

I like cruising because once I am on the ship everything is there for me to enjoy including the ports. I don't have to worry about packing or unpacking for each port if I was traveling by land. I don't like making decisions for myself but I have to if I want to travel.
Yes, cruising should be the ideal vacation for you!

I also am a believer in not taking undue risk, but I refuse to sit home and do nothing. If one believes the statistics, the most dangerous place to be is in bed. So many more people die there than anywhere else that it overwhelms any statistical weighting by the number of hours that we spend in various places!

I do the "pay in advance" hotel discounts quite often, and have "lost" only once. Unfortunately, my mother died quite unexpectedly on the day that I had planned to leave on a trip. Overall, I'm way ahead on those deals.

Norm.
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: Who has a high risk personality?

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Will be over your way after I fly to Seattle, train to Canada, take a 1 day trip on the Noordam back to Seattle and fly to Manchester, New Hampshire. Can you advise what to expect concerning midday traffic around the Hingham, Massachusetts area? My kiddo's a Lincoln on his mother's side and I'm planning to swing by the old church and cemetery to take pictures while I'm there.
Midday traffic should be fine. When you are in eastern Massachusetts, tune your radio to AM 1030 for traffic reports every ten minutes during the daytime.

I should warn you that the entire length of the Yankee Division Highway (Boston's inner beltway extending from Gloucester to Braintree via Waltham) is known as "Route 128" in local speak even though your road atlas labels segments of it as I-95 and I-93 because... well, because it was built as Route 128 before there was an Interstate highway system and did not get Interstate highway signs until the 1980's, when a governor and former presidential candidate named Dukakis decided NOT to complete the Interstate Highway System according to the original plan. The locals have never really bought into his kludge, which routes I-95 over exit ramps and has directions for I-93 routed the wrong way (the "southbound" side of I-93 is the northbound side of the Yankee Division Highway and vice versa).

I hope that you will plan to spend a few days in eastern Massachusetts while you are here, as there's a lot to see and to do. Your son probably will enjoy attractions like Plimoth Plantation, a recreation of the original Pilgrim settlement, and the Mayflower II, the ship that brougth them to Massachusetts, the Adams National Historic Park, which includes the birthplaces of two presidents, Boston's historic Freedom Trail, a tour of the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"), the battle green in Lexington and the Old North Bridge in Concord which were the sites of the first combat of the Revolutionary War, the Witch Museum in Salem, and both the Museum of Science (including Hayden Planetarium) and the Computer Museum in Boston. If you want to inspire your son to high academic achievement, a tour of the campuses of both Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology would be worthwhile, and both campuses have some unusual museums. And not far away, there's Battleship Cove in Fall River, great beaches on Cape Cod, and Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge. But that's enough to keep you and he occupied for about three or four weeks....

And if I'm in town when you are here, it would be an honor to show you and your to one of the restaurants along the coast where we locals go for fresh seafood. Please do let me know when you are coming to town!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Who has a high risk personality?

Norm:

Many thanks. This is one of my notorius speed cruises and whirlwind trips. I start in San Antonio after work Friday and play tourist on both coasts with trains, planes, and automobiles a plenty before returning to town Tuesday. I scout places in advance of taking the kiddo.

Looks like I need to keep awake on your roads. I will study the maps beforehand. BTW, up your way, kiddo's kin were the folks behind Underwood Deviled Ham, but I don't know that I have time to dig around the Underwood family sites. Kiddo's a Yankee on his mother's side and Jamestown on mine.

Seafood sounds good as I'm an old Seattlite who used to work a block from the Pike Place Market. Will be heading over there after disembarking the Noordam. Will keep you posted as I start to plan the New England leg of the trip.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Will be over your way after I fly to Seattle, train to Canada, take a 1 day trip on the Noordam back to Seattle and fly to Manchester, New Hampshire. Can you advise what to expect concerning midday traffic around the Hingham, Massachusetts area? My kiddo's a Lincoln on his mother's side and I'm planning to swing by the old church and cemetery to take pictures while I'm there.
Midday traffic should be fine. When you are in eastern Massachusetts, tune your radio to AM 1030 for traffic reports every ten minutes during the daytime.

I should warn you that the entire length of the Yankee Division Highway (Boston's inner beltway extending from Gloucester to Braintree via Waltham) is known as "Route 128" in local speak even though your road atlas labels segments of it as I-95 and I-93 because... well, because it was built as Route 128 before there was an Interstate highway system and did not get Interstate highway signs until the 1980's, when a governor and former presidential candidate named Dukakis decided NOT to complete the Interstate Highway System according to the original plan. The locals have never really bought into his kludge, which routes I-95 over exit ramps and has directions for I-93 routed the wrong way (the "southbound" side of I-93 is the northbound side of the Yankee Division Highway and vice versa).

I hope that you will plan to spend a few days in eastern Massachusetts while you are here, as there's a lot to see and to do. Your son probably will enjoy attractions like Plimoth Plantation, a recreation of the original Pilgrim settlement, and the Mayflower II, the ship that brougth them to Massachusetts, the Adams National Historic Park, which includes the birthplaces of two presidents, Boston's historic Freedom Trail, a tour of the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"), the battle green in Lexington and the Old North Bridge in Concord which were the sites of the first combat of the Revolutionary War, the Witch Museum in Salem, and both the Museum of Science (including Hayden Planetarium) and the Computer Museum in Boston. If you want to inspire your son to high academic achievement, a tour of the campuses of both Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology would be worthwhile, and both campuses have some unusual museums. And not far away, there's Battleship Cove in Fall River, great beaches on Cape Cod, and Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge. But that's enough to keep you and he occupied for about three or four weeks....

And if I'm in town when you are here, it would be an honor to show you and your to one of the restaurants along the coast where we locals go for fresh seafood. Please do let me know when you are coming to town!

Norm.
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
boston, deviled, family, ham, high, low, personalities, personality, risk, system, taker, underwood, verus

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruisers Are Unknowingly At Risk Mean Dean Chit - Chat for Cruisers 4 March 15th, 2009 08:33 AM
Flight Delay: Risk or no risk!?!? xCalBear Singles 10 August 8th, 2007 10:53 AM
at the risk of sounding stupid! vtkd Chit - Chat for Cruisers 2 May 24th, 2004 07:17 PM
Risk Free Tastings Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 13 April 16th, 2004 12:46 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1