Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Yeoman

Default Do you tip lousy tour guides?

delete
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do you tip lousy tour guides?

Angelgal:

Its it always a good day to see alligators in Texas! We even have some that will crawl right under your car down at our nuclear plant. There's a baby 15 footer for you at http://www.stpnoc.com/gallery3.htm. Our plant tour guides are real friendly, well, so long as you don't stray from the tourgroup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I really don't like bus tours. I mostly find the tour guides very controlling and mostly want to talk about what they want to talk about. I like to sit in the front and ask questions. Recently I had a tour guide just wanting to tell us about all the different types of palm trees in the city of Miami. He pointed out all kinds of palm trees. When I tried to ask a question he told me nicely to be quiet that he had things to say. So I took a nap. It was a tour to the Everglades. I love the Everglades but didn't see much because the water was at low level and it was muddy. Not a good day to see alligators. But it was still nice. I went back to the bus and ate my lunch in the bus. Then everybody came back and we all left for the airport.
The tour guide talked about tipping the bus driver and hinted that tips were appreciated. When I got off the bus he told me to be careful stepping down but didn't offer to help me with my tote large bag. I usually just throw it down on the ground so I can get off the tour bus easily.
I didn't tip him because most people are polite and will tip them.
I am not a cheap skate because I do tip the cruise ship workers beyond the amount required for service provided. But I totally dislike tour guides who will not let me ask questions. It really gets me upset. They also tell me to be quiet when I whisper to a friend sitting next to me.
I don't like bus tour guides who don't let me ask questions.

On another tour of Boston.... it was supposed to be a tour of the Harbor but instead it turned out to be a tour of the city streets. I imagined in my mind that I was going to see a beautiful ocean harbor. I asked where the water was? The bus driver and the tour guide said, "You are on top of the water. It is underneath this land fill. Then they laughed at me.
I asked if we could stop somewhere to buy a bottle of water since I was thirsty. The tour guide said, "NO", because she said she would lose some of us if we stopped somewhere to get something to drink.
Everybody on the bus were very quiet but they were listening to how badly the bus driver and the tour guide were answering me.
When we got back to the ship..... I didn't see anybody tipping them. One lady complained that we got back too early and we got cheated out of some time. I didn't care...... I was just glad to be back to the cruise ship.
I have had other bad experiences with tour guides. They expect you to be quiet and just listen to their speech that is all planned out in their minds. Angel gal
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Never Tip if you don't like the service, Maybe they may get the message..