Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Default Eastern vs Western Carribean

I know it's a tough question b/c I could be comparing apples to oranges...but have any of you visited both, and like one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Eastern vs Western Carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessm
I know it's a tough question b/c I could be comparing apples to oranges...but have any of you visited both, and like one over the other?
I have been to both and you are correct, difficult to compare them. There are ports in both that I like and don't like. I am not a fan of Jamaica (Western) or San Juan (Eastern) so I look for cruises that don't stop there. After that both sides have great places. I guess if I had to make the call I would say, Eastern for me. Some of the islands there are really nice and St. Johns is my favorite. St. Maarten is now a great place for shopping and of course St. Thomas is nice. As I said though, I like them both but the Eastern gets my vote.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Have been all over the Caribbean. A simplistic suggestion - western if you are a history buff and have not seen the Mayan ruins in Mexico and eastern if you are more a beach person?

Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Have been all over the Caribbean. A simplistic suggestion - western if you are a history buff and have not seen the Mayan ruins in Mexico and eastern if you are more a beach person?

Quote:
Interesting that you would say that b/c I am a beach person.

I have done both Western and Eastern and for my vacation pleasures, I prefer Eastern. Many of the Western ports are newer stops on the cruise circuit and therefore, the port city's economic imbalance is more evident. Call me what you will but I just can't seem to enjoy a port visit when everywhere I look people seem so destitute. It bothers me -- a lot. And, please God -- no hungry-looking or shoeless, dirty faced children in tattered clothing. I know it exists, I truly do but I do not want to see it while I am gorging myself on a cruise ship. A girlfriend once went to Belize and she said it was horrible. She said she had never seen people so poor in her life. She warned me that if I ever go to Belize, don't get off the ship. She was so haunted when she told me this that it stuck with me.

The Eastern port cities are more tourist "polished" so it takes some doing to see their most improverished citizens.

And then there is the language barrier on many of the Western Carib ports.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Hi IBCRUZIN:

Regarding dealing with poverty - the coolest thing I ever saw aboard ship was the dropping of drums filled with food and clothing off the stern of a HAL ship for the Cuna Indians of the San Blas Islands (Panama). Seems we had passengers aboard as well as the line supporting the relief drop off.

I'm raising a cousin of one of your own New York folk, the celebrated world humanitarian, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, so I do not shield my son from poverty while travelling. The images of poverty he retains should inspire action, rather than revulsion. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:

Quote:

I have done both Western and Eastern and for my vacation pleasures, I prefer Eastern. Many of the Western ports are newer stops on the cruise circuit and therefore, the port city's economic imbalance is more evident. Call me what you will but I just can't seem to enjoy a port visit when everywhere I look people seem so destitute. It bothers me -- a lot. And, please God -- no hungry-looking or shoeless, dirty faced children in tattered clothing. I know it exists, I truly do but I do not want to see it while I am gorging myself on a cruise ship. A girlfriend once went to Belize and she said it was horrible. She said she had never seen people so poor in her life. She warned me that if I ever go to Belize, don't get off the ship. She was so haunted when she told me this that it stuck with me.

The Eastern port cities are more tourist "polished" so it takes some doing to see their most improverished citizens.

Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

Hi Jess, I prefer Eastern and Southern carribean islands. The problem with the Western Islands is if the weather gets bad then the ship may not stop at that port. The ocean is unpredictable. Sometimes they have to use Tenders to get the cruisers to the ports and that can be a real hassell for the crew workers when the waves are too high.

Jess, once you start cruising with the singles group you will see the Eastern, Western and Southern islands.

On a good note, NCL cruise-line and Some of the Australian people have been helping out the people who live on Fanning Island/Kirabati which is super primitive. NCL has given them food and jobs to some of the islanders. They don't have electricity or cars or electrical appliances, etc.
They know how to share their things with eachother like a large family.
I told my teen grandson that he would never ever see primitive people in his life again when we went to visit the Island when I took him to visit the Hawaiian islands on a NCL cruise ship. He had his passport signed by their customs just to have it as a momento.

The poor people on the islands is that they get really bored stuck on an island and not being able to leave unless somebody sponsors them.

The poor people of Mexico and Latin America are able to cross the border to USA. They are able to come to America through special work permits, legal and ilegal ways.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about Latinos coming to America because it will take volumes of words to discuss it. My favorite subject is cruising. Angel gal
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hi IBCRUZIN:

Regarding dealing with poverty - the coolest thing I ever saw aboard ship was the dropping of drums filled with food and clothing off the stern of a HAL ship for the Cuna Indians of the San Blas Islands (Panama). Seems we had passengers aboard as well as the line supporting the relief drop off.

I'm raising a cousin of one of your own New York folk, the celebrated world humanitarian, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, so I do not shield my son from poverty while travelling. The images of poverty he retains should inspire action, rather than revulsion. 8)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I believe you read a slant in this post that does not exist. Please re-read my post.

Never in all my days would I feel a micro second of revulsion. I do not believe I used that word. Revulsion is your word for it. I would more call it compassion and heartfelt wish that I could fix it. I wish you would not have re-interpreted my comment to include the word revulsion.

I just would not have the ability to step around such basic human lacking while I board a bus to my zipline/snorkeling excursion and I know that handing out pencils and erasers would not relief my feeling of in adequacy.

Also, the livestyle of some of the citizens of these emerging markets is not a geographical lesson for my children in "oh, honey look how other people don't have while you cruise, let's drop them a bucket of food."

That is offensive but mighty liberal.

What my girlfriend was haunted by was that for her it is one thing to see it on TV, it is another thing to see in living color how poor some humans really are. We in this country live in La-La Land of plenty. She was not repulsed by the people, she was horribly, horribly shakened up to see how poor people really are and totally unprepared for it. There are some things she shared with me that she saw that I did not and will not include in this post. But once she explained what she thought she would see and then what she saw, I understood her lasting sadness.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Jess, I prefer Eastern and Southern carribean islands. The problem with the Western Islands is if the weather gets bad then the ship may not stop at that port. The ocean is unpredictable. Sometimes they have to use Tenders to get the cruisers to the ports and that can be a real hassell for the crew workers when the waves are too high.

Jess, once you start cruising with the singles group you will see the Eastern, Western and Southern islands.

On a good note, NCL cruise-line and Some of the Australian people have been helping out the people who live on Fanning Island/Kirabati which is super primitive. NCL has given them food and jobs to some of the islanders. They don't have electricity or cars or electrical appliances, etc.
I told my teen grandson that he would never ever see primitive people in his life again when we went to visit the Island when I took him to visit the Hawaiian islands on a NCL cruise ship. He had his passport signed by their customs just to have it as a momento.

The poor people on the islands is that they get really bored stuck on an island and not being able to leave unless somebody sponsors them.

The poor people of Mexico and Latin America are able to cross the border to USA. They are able to come to America through special work permits, legal and ilegal ways.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about Latinos coming to America because it will take volumes of words to discuss it. My favorite subject is cruising. Angel gal
The Fanning Islands is once place I have always wanted to visit. I think after a lifetime of life in NYC, I would probably fantasize about living on such a simple, primitive island.

When you get time, Angel, make a thread or send a PM and tell me a little about the Fanning Islands.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Hi IBCRUZIN:

No slant regarding your post intended. 8) The natural human tendancy is to look away from what we are not comfortable with. BTW, collections of materials were brought by passengers specifically for distribution to the Cuna Indians - that was the purpose of the trip for some of the passengers in the cruise referred to. When you are on the isolated San Blas Islands, you are wholly surrounded by poverty.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi IBCRUZIN:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I believe you read a slant in this post that does not exist. Please re-read my post.

Never in all my days would I feel a micro second of revulsion. I do not believe I used that word. Revulsion is your word for it. I would more call it compassion and heartfelt wish that I could fix it. I wish you would not have re-interpreted my comment to include the word revulsion.

I just would not have the ability to step around such basic human lacking while I board a bus to my zipline/snorkeling excursion and I know that handing out pencils and erasers would not relief my feeling of in adequacy.

Also, the livestyle of some of the citizens of these emerging markets is not a geographical lesson for my children in "oh, honey look how other people don't have while you cruise, let's drop them a bucket of food."

That is offensive but mighty liberal.

What my girlfriend was haunted by was that for her it is one thing to see it on TV, it is another thing to see in living color how poor some humans really are. We in this country live in La-La Land of plenty. She was not repulsed by the people, she was horribly, horribly shakened up to see how poor people really are and totally unprepared for it. There are some things she shared with me that she saw that I did not and will not include in this post. But once she explained what she thought she would see and then what she saw, I understood her lasting sadness.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:

The Fanning Islands is once place I have always wanted to visit. I think after a lifetime of life in NYC, I would probably fantasize about living on such a simple, primitive island.

When you get time, Angel, make a thread or send a PM and tell me a little about the Fanning Islands.
While I am not Anglelgal I have been to Fanning Island and loved it. I loved it because I got out for some adventure and rented a bike and went out in the middle of nowhere and got to see how things really are there. The young fitness girl on the Wind suggested I do this when I asked for some advise other than just sitting there in the NCL made area. The place is the closest looking thing to Gilligans Island that I have seen and the water was beautiful. The people were very friendly and really depend on what NCL has done there. There is talk that NCL may pull out someday and I hope they don't because these people really need the support. Now let me tell you a lot of older people on the ship hated the place and complained nonstop about it because it took 2 days to get there and 2 days back on the Wind. If I just got off the ship and ate lunch and then got back on without sightseeing I may not have enjoyed it but I did. The way they operate things is kind of like a Private Island but it isn't.
Hope that helps some and I am sure Angelgal has more.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

darn 'pooter :evil:

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hi IBCRUZIN:

No slant regarding your post intended. 8) The natural human tendancy is to look away from what we are not comfortable with. BTW, collections of materials were brought by passengers specifically for distribution to the Cuna Indians - that was the purpose of the trip for some of the passengers in the cruise referred to. When you are on the isolated San Blas Islands, you are wholly surrounded by poverty.
I understand and I apologize for coming off a bit snippy. We all have issues and this is one of mine. I can't vacation around people who are suffering or hungry.

I know nothing about San Blas Islands. I bet it is beautiful. I may not see these people as poor just lacking "stuff." That is how my mind's eye saw Dominica. I loved that island. It was so uncommercial. A lot of people referred to the population of that island as "very poor". I didn't see them that way. They just didn't have a lot of stuff. There were no masses of hungry children (as you can tell, I am a sucker for the little people), nor were there loads people that seemed to be living on the street. I am sure there are some but for the most part the people seemed to be making it. There was one old lady with no shoes standing outside of a grocery store begging for money. She was neither dirty nor particularly shabby. I gave her a dollar and while I walked around the area, I noticed a lot of people from the ship also gave her paper money. My guess is that she makes a good living standing outside of that store with no shoes on. I had no doubt that her shoes were in her house. Hahaha! Other than this old lady, I saw no beggars or hungry looking people. So therefore, I gathered that Dominican just don't have a lot of stuff.

Cozumel and Cancun were pleasant surprises b/c I expected the crowds of beggars and other signs of extreme proverty, I saw none of that at either locations.

Costa Rica, Belize, Costa Maya, D.R and a few other Western ports are still just shaping their ports cities so many of the locals have not yet found their niche in the money machine that are the cruiseship passengers that get off of each ship. The Eastern islands have been at the tourist business a lot longer.

I hope only the best for the citizens of these newer locations.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincev
Quote:
Quote:

While I am not Anglelgal I have been to Fanning Island and loved it. I loved it because I got out for some adventure and rented a bike and went out in the middle of nowhere and got to see how things really are there. The young fitness girl on the Wind suggested I do this when I asked for some advise other than just sitting there in the NCL made area. The place is the closest looking thing to Gilligans Island that I have seen and the water was beautiful. The people were very friendly and really depend on what NCL has done there. There is talk that NCL may pull out someday and I hope they don't because these people really need the support. Now let me tell you a lot of older people on the ship hated the place and complained nonstop about it because it took 2 days to get there and 2 days back on the Wind. If I just got off the ship and ate lunch and then got back on without sightseeing I may not have enjoyed it but I did. The way they operate things is kind of like a Private Island but it isn't.
Hope that helps some and I am sure Angelgal has more.
I considered that itinerary but I didn't want to spent the 4 days to and from that island. I read up on the island a bit and it seems that NCL has basically adopted the island providing financing for education adn healthcare in return for exclusive use of the breach and island.

I hope it continues.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Yeoman

Only the NCL Wind cruise ship goes to Fanning Island. All the other NCL ships in Hawaii only go to the Hawaiian Islands because most tourists want to spend more time on seeing the islands.

My experience on Kirabati, Fanning Island........ We were greated by a group of island people singing songs for us tourists from the NCL Ship.
They were asking for donations to built a Catholic Church. I gave a donation to help them out. I think their only school was a simple building. Most of the people live in tiny huts.
They have the custom of riding bikes and when they get off the bike someone else can then use the bike. They also share their pots and pans.
They most likely also share their foods too.

My teen grandson and I arrived around lunch time to the Island. I noticed that the cruise ship cruisers had taken the little kids lots of candies and toys and I noticed some of the kids were blowing soap bubbles. The ship's Captain told the cruisers not to take candies to the kids because they don't have a dentist on the island. The kids had never tasted ice cream until NCL gave them some. NCL has a big BBQ lunch party. They have to keep an eye on their pots and pans because some of the islanders think that NCL knows how to share the way they do.lol. They had to tell the islanders that they needed to keep their pots.

I had been saving my soaps, shampoo, hair conditioner little bottles that the cabin stewards puts in my cabin every day. I pack my own soaps.
So I handed them to an islander woman who then handed the bag of soaps to their leader so he could hand it out to the families.

There was a girl on the cruise ship who had a birthday party and was given a medium size cake. I asked her if I could have a piece of cake. She said you can have it all. I packed it with the NCL cake plate in a gallon size baggie that I had and I put it in my cabin refrigerator. The next day when I got on the island I looked for a family that I could give the whole cake to. There was a lady with two kids selling sea shells so I gave it to her. She sat down with her two kids and had a picnic with the cake and were eating when I passed them when I was walking back to the ship. That made me happy. Plus, they got to keep a beautiful NCL plate. I am sure they are all sharing that plate at special island parties with eachother.

I had also packed some pencils for the school kids and I gave them to some school girls. I think they wanted candies instead of pencils.lol.

The people were very happy to see us and we were happy to see them.

I went swimming in a really nice clean ocean beach and had a great time.

They say that in twenty more years Fanning Island will be sinking under the ocean. So I highly recommend to the adventures cruisers to go visit Kirabati, Fanning Island because most likely the islanders will have to relocate to a modern world.
I did meet a waitress who was from Kirabati, Fanning Island on the NCL Star ship that was cruising to the Mexican-Riviera. I gave her a big hug and I told her I had been to her island. Another time.... I was cruising on the NCL Dawn ship out of New York and I saw a girl who was from Kirabati do an island dance for the audience. I didn't get to meet her eventhough I tried to find her. She was working as a cabin steward I was told.
Well....... Vince..... this is what I remember about Fanning Island. Angelgal

My advise is to look for the crew workers from Fanning Island next time you cruise on a NCL ship and you will get to meet them.
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Angelgal,

Glad you liked it as well. I would go back and I believe NCL will be using a newer ship very soon (perhaps the Sun) which would make the trip even better.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Only the NCL Wind cruise ship goes to Fanning Island. All the other NCL ships in Hawaii only go to the Hawaiian Islands because most tourists want to spend more time on seeing the islands.

My experience on Kirabati, Fanning Island........ We were greated by a group of island people singing songs for us tourists from the NCL Ship.
They were asking for donations to built a Catholic Church. I gave a donation to help them out. I think their only school was a simple building. Most of the people live in tiny huts.
They have the custom of riding bikes and when they get off the bike someone else can then use the bike. They also share their pots and pans.
They most likely also share their foods too.

My teen grandson and I arrived around lunch time to the Island. I noticed that the cruise ship cruisers had taken the little kids lots of candies and toys and I noticed some of the kids were blowing soap bubbles. The ship's Captain told the cruisers not to take candies to the kids because they don't have a dentist on the island. The kids had never tasted ice cream until NCL gave them some. NCL has a big BBQ lunch party. They have to keep an eye on their pots and pans because some of the islanders think that NCL knows how to share the way they do.lol. They had to tell the islanders that they needed to keep their pots.

I had been saving my soaps, shampoo, hair conditioner little bottles that the cabin stewards puts in my cabin every day. I pack my own soaps.
So I handed them to an islander woman who then handed the bag of soaps to their leader so he could hand it out to the families.

There was a girl on the cruise ship who had a birthday party and was given a medium size cake. I asked her if I could have a piece of cake. She said you can have it all. I packed it with the NCL cake plate in a gallon size baggie that I had and I put it in my cabin refrigerator. The next day when I got on the island I looked for a family that I could give the whole cake to. There was a lady with two kids selling sea shells so I gave it to her. She sat down with her two kids and had a picnic with the cake and were eating when I passed them when I was walking back to the ship. That made me happy. Plus, they got to keep a beautiful NCL plate. I am sure they are all sharing that plate at special island parties with eachother.

I had also packed some pencils for the school kids and I gave them to some school girls. I think they wanted candies instead of pencils.lol.

The people were very happy to see us and we were happy to see them.

I went swimming in a really nice clean ocean beach and had a great time.

They say that in twenty more years Fanning Island will be sinking under the ocean. So I highly recommend to the adventures cruisers to go visit Kirabati, Fanning Island because most likely the islanders will have to relocate to a modern world.
I did meet a waitress who was from Kirabati, Fanning Island on the NCL Star ship that was cruising to the Mexican-Riviera. I gave her a big hug and I told her I had been to her island. Another time.... I was cruising on the NCL Dawn ship out of New York and I saw a girl who was from Kirabati do an island dance for the audience. I didn't get to meet her eventhough I tried to find her. She was working as a cabin steward I was told.
Well....... Vince..... this is what I remember about Fanning Island. Angelgal

My advise is to look for the crew workers from Fanning Island next time you cruise on a NCL ship and you will get to meet them.
As always, an excellent narration from Angelgal.

It sounds like a magical place. They share everything. That is what the "modern" world lacks.

What do the people look like? Polynesian? How do they support themselves besides the once a week/every other week visit from the cruise ship?

I may have to do that itinerary just to visit that island.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Yeoman

The KIRABTI Islanders were supporting themselves by fishing and eating the natural edible vegetation on the island. It is the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE who have been really helping them out financially. They are the first to expose the people to the modern world. Then NCL ships showed up with some extra help. Since NCL only has one ship going there presently..... the people and the kids must miss the excitement of US BOAT PEOPLE.. They speak their own language so I had to use sign hand language to communicate when I gave the lady the soaps.

The Islanders look Polynesian, Afican/caucasian. They also have native Indian face features. They seem to be a mixture of different races. But they look very primitive in their faces. They are dark skin. A one of a kind look that you don't see in the modern world.

I think they were having a normal tribal life before the Australians and the ships showed up. They looked well fed and happy. They didn't have that angry look that some of the Carribean people have. The Carribean people are pissed off that they didn't have a choice and were taken as slaves to the carribean islands. How do I know that? I had a young girl tour guide tell me that in Jamaica. She calls the beaches the bloody beach because many slaves were killed on the beach by their owners when the slaves tried to escape. I don't want to talk about slavery because we could talk volumes about it. I prefer to just tell everybody here my experiences with the islanders living on the lslands.

I thought it was great that the people knew how to share their things with eachother and took care of eachother. I had never seen that in my life before. Most of the people are now wearing cotton cloth clothes instead of the grass skirts they used to wear. They are very creative people and know how to use things creativly. I saw a young girl dancer who had made her skirt out of a large trash bag into a hula type skirt. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the skirt. She was dancing for us.

I believe that even if the ships don't stop at Fanning Island anymore the people will still survive with the help of the Australian people.

I have been cruising since the 1970's and one of my memories is of going to Manzanillo, Mexico on a Cruise ship and watching the Mexican people stand by the side-lines just watching us cruisers pass by them as if we were a "parade" of American cruisers. They used to love watching us as we passed by them and they wouldn't bother us for money either.
That may have changed presently with Mexican con-artists and taxi drivers and tour guides wanting to get our business. They wait for us in every port.

I have lots of fond memories of my cruise experiences. Angel gal
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The KIRABTI Islanders were supporting themselves by fishing and eating the natural edible vegetation on the island. It is the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE who have been really helping them out financially. They are the first to expose the people to the modern world. Then NCL ships showed up with some extra help. Since NCL only has one ship going there presently..... the people and the kids must miss the excitement of US BOAT PEOPLE.. They speak their own language so I had to use sign hand language to communicate when I gave the lady the soaps.

The Islanders look Polynesian, Afican/caucasian. They also have native Indian face features. They seem to be a mixture of different races. But they look very primitive in their faces. They are dark skin. A one of a kind look that you don't see in the modern world.

I think they were having a normal tribal life before the Australians and the ships showed up. They looked well fed and happy. They didn't have that angry look that some of the Carribean people have. The Carribean people are pissed off that they didn't have a choice and were taken as slaves to the carribean islands. How do I know that? I had a young girl tour guide tell me that in Jamaica. She calls the beaches the bloody beach because many slaves were killed on the beach by their owners when the slaves tried to escape. I don't want to talk about slavery because we could talk volumes about it. I prefer to just tell everybody here my experiences with the islanders living on the lslands.

I thought it was great that the people knew how to share their things with eachother and took care of eachother. I had never seen that in my life before. Most of the people are now wearing cotton cloth clothes instead of the grass skirts they used to wear. They are very creative people and know how to use things creativly. I saw a young girl dancer who had made her skirt out of a large trash bag into a hula type skirt. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the skirt. She was dancing for us.

I believe that even if the ships don't stop at Fanning Island anymore the people will still survive with the help of the Australian people.

I have been cruising since the 1970's and one of my memories is of going to Manzanillo, Mexico on a Cruise ship and watching the Mexican people stand by the side-lines just watching us cruisers pass by them as if we were a "parade" of American cruisers. They used to love watching us as we passed by them and they wouldn't bother us for money either.
That may have changed presently with Mexican con-artists and taxi drivers and tour guides wanting to get our business. They wait for us in every port.

I have lots of fond memories of my cruise experiences. Angel gal
O.K. I hate to hijack but this is too interesting to let go.

Just a few more questions. If there is no Dentist on the island, what abotu a doctor? and what exactly do the Australians do for the citizens of Fanning Island? If a citizen gets sick, are they allowed to try to seek medical attention elsewhere or is all they know and have on that island?

I read somewhere a while ago when researching that itinerary that there is only one pick up truck on the entire island. I also read that the cruise ship passengers could not eat their food or drink their water b/c it did not agree with our digestive systems. How do they communicate? Phones? Please don't tell me those citizens have cellphones?

So their basic, basic needs are met and the cruiseship passengers bring the "treats" or "goodies". Is that how it works? Do the citizens partake in the BBQ or just try to borrow the pots? That is priceless. Too funny!!!

I just looked up some pix on the internet. The people do look pretty fit, well-fed and happy.

Last question, if the island is sinking, does the Australian government have a plan on where to put these people? I assume it is the Australian government that will relocate them.

I am glad these folks seem o.k. I can go there and just enjoy their lifestyle for the day.

I believe Australia has its hands full with trying to police, babysit, care take, applease, and keep up with all of those small island kingdoms while dealing with illegal immigration and the like. For all of its internal issues, Australia seems to understand its current role in that part of the world. They are a bit of their brothers' keeper.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Yeoman

I have no idea why the Australians chose to help the Natives of Kirabati.
But I am pretty sure they must have had some Catholic missionaires on their island for them to be Catholics. The Aussie's are helping them with building a church and a school. I am also sure that they are the ones who take doctors and dentists to the islands. They most likely will be the ones to relocate the people too. I think the American Hawaiians will most likely also help out in relocating the people since the islands are close by.

I think the most important thing is that they are learning how to speak English and most likely learning new things from the Aussies and Americans who visit their island.

They don't have telephones or cell phones because they are in the middle of nowhere with no modern technology.
I am sure they communicate by sending a teen on a bike...... "The Americans are coming"!!!! "See the ship"!!! Maybe they have bike messengers to give eachother messages.

I didn't pay attention if the natives are invited to eat with the cruisers but I would think that they prefer to eat their own favorite types of food.
Most likely the ship takes the people barrels of food before the cruisers get on the island. Because when I arrived on the island at 12noon they didn't seem interested in eating but looking at us Cruisers. I remember passing a large wood house that had a balcony and I could see the women leaning against the rail just looking at us as we passed. They looked real happy. They had colorful clothes on. I noticed the teen boys were wearing brown pants and white shirts. They didn't bother us at all.... they just smiled at us. The young kids were also standing there eating candies and looking at us too. I just passed them by looking for a nice beach and I was walking down a dirt path as I walked as far as I could until I got tired and decided to walk back to the other side of the island.

I am pretty sure the ship leaves behind the fruits and vegetables for the people. I don't really know what they like to eat.

All I know is that SHALLOW LADY ME.... was just looking for a beach.lol.
I can only tell you what I saw and I knew that I would never ever see such primitive people in my life again. It was great that my grandson did go walk around the island where the natives were living and he got his passport stamped because Fanning Island is a foreign country.

The NCL WIND ship is a very old ship that sometimes has problems with their plumbing, electricity and terrible food to eat. I was on the NCL STAR ship when I went to visit. Presently the only ship that goes to Fanning Island is the NCL Wind ship.

So, it is best to wait until another ship is used to go to Fanning Island. It would be nice to cruise on a Princess ship. Angel gal
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Yeoman

Hey Cruiser guy, I did a google search and I found some history of KIRIBATI, FANNING ISLAND and also stories from cruisers who have visited the Island. They all loved their experience on the island.

They say that their language is English but it really isn't. Maybe the leaders speak English but the people I tried to communicate with didn't understand English. It chaps my hide when Historians choose not to tell the truth about people. They distort History. I have no idea what language they speak.

I had forgotten that NCL was the company that built their school buildings. But it is the Australians that are there helping the people.
Their history says nothing about the Australians. I guess I would have to do a deeper research to find out when the Aussies got there and when the Catholic missionaries got there on the island.
The people eat lots of coconuts and some fruits grown in their island.

I also read that Hawaii sends shipments of food and other items to the people. Angel gal
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hey Cruiser guy, I did a google search and I found some history of KIRIBATI, FANNING ISLAND and also stories from cruisers who have visited the Island. They all loved their experience on the island.

They say that their language is English but it really isn't. Maybe the leaders speak English but the people I tried to communicate with didn't understand English. It chaps my hide when Historians choose not to tell the truth about people. They distort History. I have no idea what language they speak.

I had forgotten that NCL was the company that built their school buildings. But it is the Australians that are there helping the people.
Their history says nothing about the Australians. I guess I would have to do a deeper research to find out when the Aussies got there and when the Catholic missionaries got there on the island.
The people eat lots of coconuts and some fruits grown in their island.

I also read that Hawaii sends shipments of food and other items to the people. Angel gal
Thanks for all of your info. It was very informative. I did a cruise search on Expedia and it looks like one of the "Pride" ships will be taking over for the ship that is presently visiting this island. I think one ship every 10 days or so is more than enough. Otherwise that little island would get overwhelmed and distorted.

The kids were not supposed to eat candy but it seems like that was the most important thing to come off of the cruiseship. Children are children all over the world. When their teeth start to rot, Hawaii/Australia will just have to send a dentist over there to take care of the problem which I am sure they already do. I bet they have better teeth than most americans.

Sounds like life there is primitive, without a lot of stuff, maybe a little boring for the younger ones but it is not an unpleasant existence.

Question, why do you call me Cruiser Guy? I am a woman. Hahahahaha. No matter. Just keep writing your posts. I enjoy them all.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yeoman

Hi Cruiser gal, there are times when I think someone is male when they are females. I have noticed that about me. It has to do with the style of writing a person does. The words they use. You also seem to be very independent like most guys. I had a very sheltered life as a girl and I have barely started traveling on my own. I always had to travel with a group in order to not be alone but presently I am starting to travel alone which I think is great because it will open more doors for me to visit more places. I will not have to worry about what my traveling partner wants to do every moment of the day. Instead I will have the freedom to do what I want to do. It may be a little lonely for me since I do like having people around me. That is why I enjoy the vtg singles group because when I get lonely for company I am able to go talk to any of the group members. Then when I want to be alone I do my own thing too.

Presently my best friend who is high maintenance is angry with me because I didn't go to Palm Springs with her because I had a real bad cold and she was also ill with larangitis sp. She still wanted us to go to Palm Springs ill. I told her I wasn't going and for her to cancel the hotel.
I have a feeling she asked another friend to go with her. Then she had to go see a doctor in Palm Springs because she was seriously ill. She just said she went to see a doctor who gave her meds. She is the one I mostly travel with on land because she doesn't like to cruise.
But now I am glad she is angry with me because I really don't want to travel with her anymore because if she gets ill with a simple problem she wants to go spend the time at a Emergency hospital. Then she gets upset if the doctors tell her there isn't anything wrong with her. That is why I call her high maintenance.

You will truly like the vtg singles experience because most of the cruisers are happy mellow people. They are fun to spend time talking and eating dinner with because we are all singles and have the interests and life-style of singles.
But I also like the discovery of being able to cruise on a ship at a cheaper rate solo. I tried it once and I made friends with a few singles and had a great time. I will be cruising again soon on my own on May 15th on the Sapphire Princess cruising to Vancouver. I like Canada.
I already have a picture in my mind what I am going to do in Vancouver.
I have plan A and plan B ready in my mind. I will only be gone 6 days which is perfect for me. I don't like to be gone from home too long. Maybe in the future I will not mind traveling more days. Angel gal
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Default Eastern vs Western

I admit when I first cruised I thought the Eastern would be my favorite but I was wrong. I find the shore excursions and activitys in the Western to be much more exciting! Eastern ports has the following, snorkle, scuba, shop, party boats, glass bottom boats, beaches, San Juan has more to offer and was my favorite Eastern port because it has the historic forts, the biolumanestant bay (which I haven't done yet) wonderful old San Juan which was charming and very European. St. Thomas is breath taking but kind of laid back for me. Dominican republic was interesting but sort of scary the local venders were very pushy and the island smelled bad from Sugar Cane plant's or something. Nassau I loved.

Exotic Western Belize, the city is yucky get out to the Cays to snorkle, go cave tubing (one of the few places you can do this) go to a Mayan site or feed the Holler monkeys at the Baboon sanctuary. Lots to do here but it's a tender port. I have no interest in seeing the city but I will next trip on the way to the mayan sites. Xzunich or something like that which looks very impressive!

Costa Rica , very poor but like the Garden of Eden or Land before time. Lots of great shore excursions here, white water rafting was highly recommended, as well as a canopy tour. I went to the Sloth Sanctuary, I loved the ecco tours.

Panama also very poor but parts of it very beautiful the Gatun lake was my favorite the canal was interesting. I loved our tour guide here she had lived in the US and told me she prefers her country, she earns a good living and told me you can get a great breakfast for about $1 american money. Very interesting place.

Mexican Rivera (west coast of Mexico) my ports were Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta I loved all of them! The food was wonderful, I didn't get sick, the sites were beautiful. The shore excursions interesting.I snorkled with a sea lion, swam with a dolphin and did a whole day tour of Mazatlan and the Serrra Madre towns.
The venders were very pushy at all of these ports and that was my only complaint, the same ones would come back every 5 minutes on the beach, but they earn their living this way.

My advice is try new ports as often as you can, and you will find what you like and why. I want to go to Hawaii, Alaska, etc...

On my next cruise it's all about the Mayan sites with a beach day and perhaps my first scuba dive! Im very excitied!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:34 AM
Yeoman

Hey Showcat!! You just gave us some great informative info on some of the ports you have seen. I wish you had started a new topic on your favorite ports and your experiences in each port.

We should start a topic on different ports we have visited.

I am planning to visit Victoria, BC Canada in a couple of weeks. I plan to do the Haunted Houses and cemetary tour which is a four hour tour. My main goal is to ride around Victoria and be a looky loo at the old mansion houses and see the scenery sp. in Victoria. I hope to find a B & B so I can stay a few days in Victoria in the future . I do plan to write about my experience in Victoria and Vancouver as ports and also do a cruise review of the Sapphire Princess experience too.
Talk to you later. Hugz, Angel gal
P.S. Showcat and I are great cruiser friends. We have cruised twice together with VTG Singles. I hope to cruise again with her soon too.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Angelgirl, I would start a post for ports but there is already one on ports and shore excursions also so I post there too. But if anyone wants to add a topic here I would contribute gladly.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Hi Showcat, it is really interesting that I only visit the singles section of this wonderful website since you invited me to join this website. It is really strange that I only read and write on the Singles section only and I think it is because I want to stick to my own group of people who are singles too like me. This is why I have chosen to just write on the singles section so we as singles can read and learn from eachother.

On the other sections of this website most of the cruisers are couples or families who cruise together. I don't have anybody who wants to cruise with me except my cousin who will cruise with me when I really need a roomie. So I have to depend on singles group so I will not have to cruise alone most of the time. But now I am getting the courage to cruise SOLO too and I know there are other single gals who want to cruise but have nobody to cruise with.
I got started cruising when a friend of mine needed a roomie when her cruise friend backed out at the last minute. I was really afraid of getting sea sick but the funny part is that I have never gotten sea sick and my friend did get sea sick and she never cruised again.. This is how I got started in cruising all these years. Angel gal