Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Default Single-Parent cruising w/child

Someone throw me a life-ring please!!!! I'm a young 40-something single-dad who wants to do a cruise with my 12 y/o son. I'm desperatly looking for/hoping to find a hosted-cruise for single-parents traveling with their kid(s). I am by no-means a fuddy-duddy (sp?), thus a cruise with a bunch of 50+ empty-nesters (as was my brief experience with Parents Without Partners) is far too paleolithic for me, my style, and my squire-in-tow.

Though there is nothing wrong with jello shots and/or a wet t-shirt contest (lol); I think the 20-something beer-bong, puking in the bushes crowd isn't my style either. Someone help me... I'm trapped in a niche!!!

Does anyone know of anything I should know about??

Many thanks

jc 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Yeoman

I have noticed that VTG Singles did have a cruise planned for Single parents with kids. You need to call them up and find out when they plan to do another cruise.
My advise is to invite a cousin to spend time with your 12yr.old child so they can hang out together on the cruiseship. I have noticed that teens/kids have the best time ever on a cruise ship. I heard that the crew workers say that the kids fall in love with cruising and they leave the ship kicking and screaming that they don't want to leave the ship.

I think it would be great to take your child on a cruise with you.

BELIEVE ME.... SINGLES CRUISES ARE FANTASTIC you can't compare it to Parents without Partners.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I suggest you call VTG Single Cruise dept. I am booked on one of their singles cruise (Carnival Glory 09/29/07). I am 48, very youthful at heart but with the common sense that grows with age. I was told that the average age for this cruise was 47. I don't know if VTG would forbid you and your son from booking this cruise b/c he is a minor but something like this will be more your style. I think we will be youthful enough to have fun and party late but mature enough not to need to "chuck in the bushes" and God knows my wet t-shirt days are over and I now realize that I don't have to wet my t-shirt to get the attention I want.

I assume and would suggest you look at Carnival. They will have a better age mix with more teens for your son to socialize with.

Good luck and happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Single-Parent cruising w/child

Hi Jeff:

BTDT cruising with my now 12 year old kiddo almost a dozen times. What do you need to know? Destinations, excursions, lines, budgets, what to pack? Kiddo and I do Jimmy Buffet proud. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC
Someone throw me a life-ring please!!!! I'm a young 40-something single-dad who wants to do a cruise with my 12 y/o son. I'm desperatly looking for/hoping to find a hosted-cruise for single-parents traveling with their kid(s). I am by no-means a fuddy-duddy (sp?), thus a cruise with a bunch of 50+ empty-nesters (as was my brief experience with Parents Without Partners) is far too paleolithic for me, my style, and my squire-in-tow.

Though there is nothing wrong with jello shots and/or a wet t-shirt contest (lol); I think the 20-something beer-bong, puking in the bushes crowd isn't my style either. Someone help me... I'm trapped in a niche!!!

Does anyone know of anything I should know about??

Many thanks

jc 8)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I suggest you call VTG Single Cruise dept. I am booked on one of their singles cruise (Carnival Glory 09/29/07). I am 48, very youthful at heart but with the common sense that grows with age. I was told that the average age for this cruise was 47. I don't know if VTG would forbid you and your son from booking this cruise b/c he is a minor but something like this will be more your style. I think we will be youthful enough to have fun and party late but mature enough not to need to "chuck in the bushes" and God knows my wet t-shirt days are over and I now realize that I don't have to wet my t-shirt to get the attention I want.

I assume and would suggest you look at Carnival. They will have a better age mix with more teens for your son to socialize with.

Hey IB,
Thanks for taking time to respond to my query.

You sound like a pretty cool-dude to hang with on one of these adventures. I didn't mean to suggest or imply single-parents or single-parents cruising with their kids are all 50-something PWP empty-nesters. Since taking custody of my young squire, I haven't focused much time or attention to rescuing local damsels-in-distress. Subsequently, I'm still a pathetic bachelor and wet t-'s (I'm guessing) would still catch my eye and attention.

Though I have checked-out VTG's Singles Cruises area, I'll check it again, more thoroughly. I'll also contact VTG directly to see what they can recommend.

Thanks again for taking time to write. I hope you have a fantastic summer and an excellent September cruise.

Regards,

Jeff
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'

Hey IB,
Thanks for taking time to respond to my query.

You sound like a pretty cool-dude to hang with on one of these adventures. I didn't mean to suggest or imply single-parents or single-parents cruising with their kids are all 50-something PWP empty-nesters. Since taking custody of my young squire, I haven't focused much time or attention to rescuing local damsels-in-distress. Subsequently, I'm still a pathetic bachelor and wet t-'s (I'm guessing) would still catch my eye and attention.

Though I have checked-out VTG's Singles Cruises area, I'll check it again, more thoroughly. I'll also contact VTG directly to see what they can recommend.

Thanks again for taking time to write. I hope you have a fantastic summer and an excellent September cruise.

Regards,

Jeff
I am a girl. However, call VTG and speak to someone about your interests. I think you would be a wonderful addition to any one of their singles cruises. I believe their groups are less on the "looking for love" and more on the "just here to have a good time" mode. Some of the other single cruise organizers place a bit more emphasis on "look for love" which can be a major downer if all you want is a good vacation.

I go for the fun. Anything else would be an added bonus.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yeoman

Hi Jeff, I noticed that VTG has three cruises coming up this summer.
I had told you to cruise on the Carnival Valor in August but that is not a good time since your son will be going back to school. So delete the August cruise.
VTG has June 17th, July8th, and July 21st for singles groups cruising.

My advise is that your son is more important and I think that Alaska would be fun for him and a cousin to see Alaska. You can get them walkie-talkies so they stay in touch with eachother on the ship.
Don't book with the singles group.... just book regular with a VTG agent
on the date the group is going to Alaska or the Carribean. You will be running into the Singles group on the ship anyway. When the kids are in the Kids Fun Club you can be hanging with the other singles on deck.
It is best to eat dinner with the kids so you have quality time with your son and his cousin. You will notice that they will want to run off to be with their new club friends or they may want to hang out with you on the first few days. That has been my experience with my two teen grand-children when I took them to Alaska a few years ago. I will always have that memory of how much fun we had together. That is my advise.
Since you have the money.... get a cabin with a window instead of a balcony. Balconies are dangerous because kids like to sit on the rails and make believe they are the king of the world like on the Titanic.
So let me know what you decide.

My advise is to just jump in and go for it and book a cruise. Angelgal
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Very good advice from Angelgal, Jeff. With the walkie talkies I'd add some $20-30 binoculars. Alaska is cool - whale watching, otter watching, eagle nest watching (very cool when they catch a salmon), fish hatcheries, panning for gold, salmon bakes, float planes (fun to watch even if you do not fly on them) and kids love seeing salmon runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Jeff, I noticed that VTG has three cruises coming up this summer.
I had told you to cruise on the Carnival Valor in August but that is not a good time since your son will be going back to school. So delete the August cruise.
VTG has June 17th, July8th, and July 21st for singles groups cruising.

My advise is that your son is more important and I think that Alaska would be fun for him and a cousin to see Alaska. You can get them walkie-talkies so they stay in touch with eachother on the ship.
Don't book with the singles group.... just book regular with a VTG agent
on the date the group is going to Alaska or the Carribean. You will be running into the Singles group on the ship anyway. When the kids are in the Kids Fun Club you can be hanging with the other singles on deck.
It is best to eat dinner with the kids so you have quality time with your son and his cousin. You will notice that they will want to run off to be with their new club friends or they may want to hang out with you on the first few days. That has been my experience with my two teen grand-children when I took them to Alaska a few years ago. I will always have that memory of how much fun we had together. That is my advise.
Since you have the money.... get a cabin with a window instead of a balcony. Balconies are dangerous because kids like to sit on the rails and make believe they are the king of the world like on the Titanic.
So let me know what you decide.

My advise is to just jump in and go for it and book a cruise. Angelgal
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Jeff C,

I cruise with my boys every year. I am 43 and my boys. I just go and there are always plenty of single moms, singles without kids, ect... I always have a great time. In fact I am leaving in less than two weeks with my boys 10 and 14 on the Mariner for a week and have met people online that are going. While there is merit to booking with a group, I don't think it is necessary in order to meet single women and have a good time. Let me know if you have any questions.

In fact I need your help and Divemaster too or anyone else that will support me to go here and vote YES!

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576025

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Admiral

dtw still soliciting votes huh? can i vote again for you?? acutally this topic is of interest to me as well since i am a 38 soon to be 39 year old single mom with an 8 year old. my first cruise will be with the folks and sister and her dh and my son. i have heard that camp carnival cruise lines is the bomb. i have done some research and they seem to have something for kids of all ages! even after hours babysitting for those late nights!!

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Thanks, sis. I was campaigning. I have not taken advantage of Camp Carnival. My one Carnival cruise was with out the kids. But I hear it is great. That is what hooked me on cruising as a way for a single dad to vacation with the kids is Adventure Ocean on RCI. Similar program. The kids have fun in a controlled environment while I can have adult fun.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to lizgoldcoast
Default Hi from down under...

I'm a 36 year old single mum and have just booked my first cruise and I'm taking my two daughters 14 & 7. We're going on the P&O cruise line Pacific Sun over the New Year period and from everything I hear it is going to be an awesome experience! I invite all of you from 'the other side of the world' to fly to Australia and come and see how the Aussies party - lol - I am sure you would have an amazing time!!!
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
First Mate

I'm a single mom (48) going on my first cruise with my son (14) this July. We're going sop we can have a great vacation together, not for him to go off with the teenagers or for me to look for love. He will probably want to spend some time on the "at sea" day (4 day cruise) with the other teens playing bball, etc. and I'll be nearby either writing or reading. I will be taking a cruise solo next year (haven't booked as yet) so I can do all the things I want to go - disco, beach time, etc. without the worries of motherhood along with me. Then, in 4 years when he graduates high school and will be 18, we'll cruise again, a 7-8- day cruise, and we'll be able to do more things together that we'll both enjoy.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Bahamas? Suggest you chum your teenage son to the dolphins or strap a tank on him for an intro to scuba class. Cool! 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
I'm a single mom (48) going on my first cruise with my son (14) this July. We're going sop we can have a great vacation together, not for him to go off with the teenagers or for me to look for love. He will probably want to spend some time on the "at sea" day (4 day cruise) with the other teens playing bball, etc. and I'll be nearby either writing or reading. I will be taking a cruise solo next year (haven't booked as yet) so I can do all the things I want to go - disco, beach time, etc. without the worries of motherhood along with me. Then, in 4 years when he graduates high school and will be 18, we'll cruise again, a 7-8- day cruise, and we'll be able to do more things together that we'll both enjoy.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
I hope you and your baby have the bestest bestest time imaginable!!! He will love it. You will love it. Take loads of pictures.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I don't know of any but I'm looking. Let me knoe if you find one and I'll do the same.
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Beginner

Hi Jeff, had any luck finding a cruise to take your child on? I am a single mom 40 with two little girls desiring to take a cruise aswell. Was looking into the disney cruise but I'm not big on doing the adult functions alone on a family oriented cruise and since this is vacation I will need a little alone time if just for a drink after a long day of activities with my active girls.. If you have any tips or advice I would really appreciate your comments.

thanks from the lonestar state, karrie
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Yeoman

Karrie, I know you are looking for other singles with kids but I would like to give you some advise about your two little girls. Most all cruise ships put a wrist band on the child with a barcode. If your child doesn't know her last name.... be sure to write their last name down in case of an emergency if they should get lost on the ship. Just tell them to go to the Lobby front desk. I once found a 5yr. old lost child crying in the Lobby area. I took her to the Front desk and she didn't know her last name so they had to do a search in their computers to find the parents. I sat with the child til they found the parents... but it would have been a lot faster if she had her last name on it. Angelgal
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Carnival is probably going to be your best bet as a single parent on a cruise with kids. Most single parents are on tight budgets so they will opt for Carnival over Disney because of the huge difference in cost.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Karrie:

The RCCL's out of Galveston can be good for the kiddos when the prices are right. Cuts out the price of 3 flights.

Dave
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrielg
Hi Jeff, had any luck finding a cruise to take your child on? I am a single mom 40 with two little girls desiring to take a cruise aswell. Was looking into the disney cruise but I'm not big on doing the adult functions alone on a family oriented cruise and since this is vacation I will need a little alone time if just for a drink after a long day of activities with my active girls.. If you have any tips or advice I would really appreciate your comments.

thanks from the lonestar state, karrie
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yeoman

Hi Diver guy, I just saw a photo of Carnival Conquest in Galveston Port.
It looked awesome. There was a news story in the L.A. Times that the leaders of Galveston want to tear down the sea wall that protects the town from hurricanes so they can have a larger port and make more money but people are saying that is a dangerous move because Galveston could be devastated by a hurricane if there is no protection wall.
I don't remember my Texan history that well but I do remember that some rich man chose not to use Galveston as a port city for his company. Instead he chose Port Arthur. He must have had a high level of intuition because a few years later Galveston got devastated by a hurricane that killed 6,000 people. The fear is still there by the local people that Galveston can get washed over by the ocean if there isn't any protective sea wall. Plus they said it could break apart.
I think it was J.P. Morgan who didn't choose Galveston. I have a vague memory of that story that I read years ago.

My sister says there is only one highway to get into Galveston. I saw the map and I noticed the road from Houston to Galveston.

Do you think if there is a possibility that Port Arthur could be used as a cruise port? Angelgal/Luci
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Default Port Arthur

Hi Luci:

Port Artur is a maybe if the homeport trend continues. Galveston is our version of New Orleans - a city with an inherent site problem.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Diver guy, I just saw a photo of Carnival Conquest in Galveston Port.
It looked awesome. There was a news story in the L.A. Times that the leaders of Galveston want to tear down the sea wall that protects the town from hurricanes so they can have a larger port and make more money but people are saying that is a dangerous move because Galveston could be devastated by a hurricane if there is no protection wall.
I don't remember my Texan history that well but I do remember that some rich man chose not to use Galveston as a port city for his company. Instead he chose Port Arthur. He must have had a high level of intuition because a few years later Galveston got devastated by a hurricane that killed 6,000 people. The fear is still there by the local people that Galveston can get washed over by the ocean if there isn't any protective sea wall. Plus they said it could break apart.
I think it was J.P. Morgan who didn't choose Galveston. I have a vague memory of that story that I read years ago.

My sister says there is only one highway to get into Galveston. I saw the map and I noticed the road from Houston to Galveston.

Do you think if there is a possibility that Port Arthur could be used as a cruise port? Angelgal/Luci