Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klawrence
Default In perspective....

There has been much discussion between different cruise agencies that specialize in singles cruises on these boards these last few months. Singlescruise.com, VTG and Cruising for Love to name a few.

In 2006 I took a year off from cruising for personal reasons. I wish I could take more than one cruise a year but realistically I could only take a cruise every twelve to eighteen months.

I look for location, location, location as far as where I want to cruise to and also the people cruising on each cruise; I want to meet new people as well as cruise with dear friends like Bill/NVA and others. One of the most appealing reasons why I choose the April 1st Singlescruise was because of the itinerary (St. Kitt's and St. Lucia - enjoyed each port of call) and that we were celebrating a friend's special birthday. I have no regrets that I went on this cruise even though there were complaints about the two different age groups on this cruise. I hope Singlescruise learns from this in the future.

I will continue to look at cruises each agency offers; I would like to try VTG one of these days but I don't see any cruise they offer that's really different and exciting! I am speaking of Ports of Calls. I am sure they are a fine organization; I have had many friends cruise with them and like how they operate their singles cruise.

Just my .02 cents worth....

Until my next cruise - possibly in 2008.

Karon/NY
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Yeoman

Hi Karon, I like to cruise out of Los Angeles Ports or west coast ports because it is so easy just to be dropped off at the port and not have to book a pre-cruise hotel or have to pay for a flight.
I totally just enjoy being on a ship and the experience of being with a Singles group. I don't care if I cruise 100 times to the same ports either... since I have been to all the ports in the Carribean, Mexico, Hawaii, Canada and Alaska.
I am not in the mood for traveling/cruising to Europe or other countries.
I would like to go back to the east coast and cruise again to the Canada/New England cruise soon this year. I might have to cruise solo to do that.
I love Canada and plan to visit Canada as much as possible until I get bored.
Since I have cruised 20+ times...... I see myself as an advisor for the new cruisers who know nothing about cruising. I notice most travel agents don't tell you what to expect and I had to learn things on my own as I have cruised over and over. On each cruise I learn something new.
Or I learn that what used to be free is nolonger free like cappuchinos at dinner time in the dinning room. On some ships they are free and on others they are not.
Some new cruisers may say "What snacks should I bring on the ship"?
That tells me that new cruiser needs to know what to expect on a cruise ship and not to pack any snacks unless she can't go one week without her favorite snacks. I have seen cruisers pack their own snacks and joyfully eat them on the ship. I pack small bottled cokes. I also pack a small fan for my cabin to circulate the air in the cabin. I don't know of any other cruiser that does that. All ships have air-conditioning but I still like my small fan blowing air on my face as I put on my make-up.
I think since you are planning to cruise once per year then yes it is important to choose a group that is planning to go to a port you want to visit.
"Travelin Singles group" does book cruises to all over the world like China, Middle-east, Greek Islands, Australia, etc. These are the big time cruises that cost lots of money.
There are several Singles group agencies that plan exotic cruises.

There is one port I would like to visit someday and that is Tahiti island.

It is true that VTG Singles mostly plans cruises to the same ports over and over. They just barely got started a few years ago. I am sure they are looking ahead and planning new ports for 2008 which will also include land Resorts for Singles.
Presently, I totally enjoy cruising with VTG Singles and I don't care if they cruise to the same ports over and over. Besides the vendors/salespeople already are starting to know me in each port and I have fun talking with them and buying things from them. One time one of the sales guy went to town and bought me some special hair oil for my dad that my dad wanted from Mexico. It only cost me $4.00. I call that great service. The Mexican people give me great deals because they know me already. My dad has now requested a special blend of Mexican coffee that he wants me to buy when I go back to Mexico. It's funny because I told my dad I would buy it for him at Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta in October when I cruise there for Halloween..

Yes, I am pro VTG because that is the only recent singles cruise group I have been cruising with and I totally enjoy crusing with them.
I think in the future I will also be cruising with other singles groups too.
I don't plan to limit myself to just one singles group. Angelgal
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

To the OP, what was wrong with the Singlescruises.com cruise that you went on. What were some of the complaints?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: In perspective....

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence
There has been much discussion between different cruise agencies that specialize in singles cruises on these boards these last few months. Singlescruise.com, VTG and Cruising for Love to name a few.

In 2006 I took a year off from cruising for personal reasons. I wish I could take more than one cruise a year but realistically I could only take a cruise every twelve to eighteen months.

I look for location, location, location as far as where I want to cruise to and also the people cruising on each cruise; I want to meet new people as well as cruise with dear friends like Bill/NVA and others. One of the most appealing reasons why I choose the April 1st Singlescruise was because of the itinerary (St. Kitt's and St. Lucia - enjoyed each port of call) and that we were celebrating a friend's special birthday. I have no regrets that I went on this cruise even though there were complaints about the two different age groups on this cruise. I hope Singlescruise learns from this in the future.

I will continue to look at cruises each agency offers; I would like to try VTG one of these days but I don't see any cruise they offer that's really different and exciting! I am speaking of Ports of Calls. I am sure they are a fine organization; I have had many friends cruise with them and like how they operate their singles cruise.

Just my .02 cents worth....

Until my next cruise - possibly in 2008.

Karon/NY
Hey Karon,

How right you are and even though I have mentioned some negative things about Singlescruise.com in no way do I want people to think I don't recommend them or will not sail with them again. Even with the negatives if the ports and ship are right I will be back onboard in a New York minute. I just wish they would get rid of the silly charges and fees.

By the way did you happen to see where VTG is going to Aruba next year onboard HAL? Granted it is a 40+ cruise but as you well know I'm now 10 years past that one.

Bill 8)
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default 2008 VTG Cruises

Just looked at that itinerary Bill and it's a great one; I like the fact of going back to Aruba and then seeing Curacau. One of the better itineraries that I have seen so far.

I also checked out the one in late April (your birthday cruise) and I like that its on a Princess cruise line.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, lol. I do hope to go to London with everyone in June but I have a feeling I will not be able to. I am also making a job change so I really will not know when I will be able to vacation in 2008.

See you in Chicago my friend.

Karon
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: 2008 VTG Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence
Just looked at that itinerary Bill and it's a great one; I like the fact of going back to Aruba and then seeing Curacau. One of the better itineraries that I have seen so far.

I also checked out the one in late April (your birthday cruise) and I like that its on a Princess cruise line.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, lol. I do hope to go to London with everyone in June but I have a feeling I will not be able to. I am also making a job change so I really will not know when I will be able to vacation in 2008.

See you in Chicago my friend.

Karon
Thought you might like that one it has some great ports.

Chicago my dear!!
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Yeoman

I also want to try Princess some time, just as long as it has a reservations only supper club and of course;

WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE, YUMMIE!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think Carnival honed the "Warm Chocolate Melting Cake" theory!!! .

Would love to try Princess, NCL and Royal one of these days!!! Does that mean no elite status anymore since we try new cruise lines, lol. You spoiled me on the last cruise entering the ship with you. We literally were the first people to get on the Legend:-)

Karon/NY
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Yeoman

That's right being on a new cruise line means working your way to the top again.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have sailed with Carnival seven times so I am getting closer to elite status:-)

I also want to go to Bermuda too one of these days.

Dreaming here at work - thinking of the fun I had on the Legend!

Karon/NY
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Yeoman

Yes indeed, but it seems so far in the past now and it was only 1 month ago today.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Charlie and I were talking on the phone last night; it does seem like awhile ago but it was a month my friend.

Everyone is looking forward to Chicago; keep me updated with the countdown!

Also, bit confused; when do you arrive...Thursday evening or Friday morning!

Karon/NY
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Yeoman

Chicago for me will be Friday about midday to Sunday morningish.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I may come in Thursday evening but my return flight home is 3:30 pm on Sunday.

This will be a great time for all of us to see each other!!!
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Goldfish crackers come to mind. Always pack an emergency supply for the kiddos.

[quote="Angelgal"][That tells me that new cruiser needs to know what to expect on a cruise ship and not to pack any snacks unless she can't go one week without her favorite snacks/quote]
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Yeoman

Snacks, snacks, are we now talking about snacks?