Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yeoman

Default WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE!!!!

OK,

This has been discussed on other cruisemates forums but I know everyone in the Singles section has been anxiously awaiting this topic.

Just ask Karon about the April 1st Singlescruise, I had warm chocolate melting cake practically every night except the supper club visit on formal night #2.

So, what do you think about this desert, love it, hate it, can't get enough of it, your thoughts please?

Bill

PS - Angelgal I already know you like this kind of desert at the dinner table from last Halloween, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Never had the pleasure. I am not a chocolate lover but so many people rave about it that it is now on my "must have" list.

What exactly is a chocolate melting cake? Milk Choco or Dark Choco?

What is it?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeoman

All I know is it is sooooo goooodddd!!! 8)
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM
booboo4031

Bill... that was my favorite dessert last fall on the Pride! I had it everynight. I had it in a restaurant in Boston and it was nowhere near as good as the one on Carnival!! Can't wait for October!!!

BTW... nice pic!

Diane
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Yeoman

Hi Diane,

Thanks, see you in October.

Bill
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klawrence

I swear our whole table had this desert each and every night and it became a standard running joke throughout the week.

I had it for the first time this past April. It started a few years ago on the Mexican Riveria cruise in 2005 when a dear friend of mine and Bill's started to flip out on this desert and she suggested we order it the first night and the rest is history they say.

I googled the recipe and forwarded it to my dinner companions from that cruise.

Now can we get it in Chicago? .

By the way...great pic!!!!

Karon/NY
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Admiral

So, what is it? A layer cake? A choco pound cake? What is it?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
So, what is it? A layer cake? A choco pound cake? What is it?
Tell her Karon you have the recipe!
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Yeoman

Hi Everybody and cruiser gal,
The warm chocolate cake is really a souffle in a small custard cup. I heard that it doesn't have any flour. It is served with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream on the side. So you dig into the souffle with a spoon and then you dip your spoon into the ice cream and eat it that way.
I like to eat the top fo the souffle first because it is tastier and chewy than the bottom of the cup. It is not really a cake... it is more like a souffle. Carnival cruise line makes it and I think other ships also make it.
Another favorite dessert is the Grand Manier souffle that has a vanilla custard on top. Carnival and Princess serve that dessert.

Princess ships has the best New York Cheese cake because it is so fluffy with strawberry sauce on top.

Holland America has the best free real home-made style ice cream and frozen yogurt on a chrispy sugar cone. Great way to gain weight if you eat one every day.

Norwegian-NCL is number one for their Chocolate buffet filled with many great desserts. My favorite is the white chocolate covered strawberries and the chocolate covered bananas.
No other cruise-line can compare to NCL for home-made chocolate.

Celebrity ships brings a tray of desserts at dinner time so you can see for yourself what to order as a dessert.

RCL has great desserts too. They have the sugar-less cream puff SWAN that is very popular with cruisers. Very cute swans.

Costa ships - I don't remember any dessert that stood out. Does any body have a favorite dessert from Costa? Angel gal/Lucy
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klawrence

Google Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and you will have the recipe.

Have a good weekend folks.

Karon/NY
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Yeoman

Lucy,

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeoman

You can get this very same cake at Trader Joe's -- it's called Lava Cake

It's only about a $1.50 per cake and takes 1 minute in the microwave

Awesome stuff!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
You can get this very same cake at Trader Joe's -- it's called Lava Cake

It's only about a $1.50 per cake and takes 1 minute in the microwave

Awesome stuff!
Thanks for that info, I'll definitely check into it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Admiral

I ordered that 3 times last week on the Valor. SO good !! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Yeoman

Most of us who cruise on Carnival like to order the cake for desert almost every night since we all know we can't go wrong in choosing this cake..

Hey thoth.... What did you think of the painted eyes at Roses buffet and on deck. Those eyes really looked tacky to me and they were painted all over the deck too.
Did you have fun on the ship? Angelgal
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Default oh my gosh!

I love it! I ate it every night on the Carnival Liberty! Actually my whole table did.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeoman

I had this to-die-for melting chocolate cake almost every night on the Triumph last month, and I saw it served at our table every single night. Absolutely delicious. So many of the other desserts are just pretty and too, too sweet. This one makes you say to heck with calories!

Duncan Hines has a mix in their "Signature Desserts" line called "Chocolate Molten Lava Cake." The picture on the box looks exactly like the dessert on the ship. The kit includes the chocolate lava cake mix and chocolate fudge sauce. It calls for three eggs, 1/4 cup water, and 1/3 vegetable oil added with the mix, then poured into muffin tins (either 6 cup or 12 cup), depending on the size cake you want. The chocolate fudge sauce is squeezed on top of the batter of each lava cake. I haven't tried it yet but am going to.

If anyone cares, the calorie count for one small cake is 320 and 140 of those are fat calories. And that is before the big scoop of vanilla Haagen- Dasz, but when it comes to chocolate, who does care, right?

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Yeoman

"OH.....Pat..... I would rather have the ships FIX it for me..
It is bad enough that I eat too much on the ships and then to come home and eat like I am on a cruise ship is the way to get fatter.. Angelgal
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Ok, I am hearing so much about this dessert I am going to have to try it. I didn't have any when I was on the Victory. If it is served in the dining room I would have missed out because 4 of the 7 nights I did the grand buffet. We didn't have a great table and the table mates were more into themselves (two sisters) than the others at the table (only three of us).

Heck, I might even try the desserts you have to pay for at the cafe when I go in September!!! I'm going to have fun. I won't worry bout gaining weight cuz I can't sit on a deck chair for too long, I'd rather stroll around the decks and sit for a few here and there....
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Yeoman

Hey misguided..... did you try asking for another table? Sometimes the people you are sitted with at dinner time are not truly compatiable so it is best to ask to be moved to another table. I have suffered before with lousy table mates. One time I was seated with three female gals who drank too much and critized me and said mean things to me so I got changed to a better table with a compatiable group.
Another time, I was with a friend and we got seated with a super boring couple and I am sure they thought we were boring. I told them that first night that I preferred to eat at a larger table for 8 persons. So we moved to a much better group of people. That couple chose to stay at their table by themselves.
When I cruise with a Singles group we are able to table hop and sit with different singles. So it is much easier to choose who to sit with each night.
I like to sit with different people for dinner. But most of the time the same group of people want to sit together so they start saving seats for their favorite new cruise buddies. I had a friend and we always saved a seat for eachother. Angelgal
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Warm chocolate melting cake is a "must have" desert on each & every one of my cruises.

Have tried making it at home from the recipe found on google but it's just not the same. I think it's one of those things that just tastes much better while on a cruise.

(also called "warm flourless chocolate cake" on the supper club menu)

Enjoy!

Annie<----long-time fan of the warm chocolate melting cake:-)
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yeoman

Hi everyone,

Previously amidst all the discussion about the delicious warm melting chocolate cake, I posted that there is a cake mix available at the grocery store. I tried it and it was nothing like the ones served on the cruise ships. So don't even bother. Maybe someone going on Carnival can ask the chef for the recipe and whether it could be posted here.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Passenger

Default Melting Chocolate Cake

Hope it is not a big secret. Enjoy:

Semi Sweet Chocolate 225 gm
Butter 225gm
Fresh Eggs 4 ea
Sugar 80gm
Flour 100gm

Method:

Melt Chocolate & Butter
Mix half egg & Sugar and whisk for few minutes & add flour. Then add the balance egg.
Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.
Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups.
Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups.

Maybe someone going on Carnival can ask the chef for the recipe and whether it could be posted here.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor[/quote]