Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Default don't know what to do!!! Help me make the decision!

Hey everyone,

So, I've decided that although my original cruise didn't work out, I'm still going to go at some point. This is my dilemia now. Help!

I could go on a non-hosted single cruise at the beginning of September for 5 nights to the E. Carribean for cheapo, and have my own room.

OR

I could wait until the end of October and go on the hosted singles cruise for halloween for 7 days to the W. Carribean for almost $200 more, but have to share a room.

Plus side for going in Sept:

having my own room
cheaper cruise
possibly less crowded ship
getting to go sooner (closest to actual summer)

Downside for going in Sept:
not a singles cruise, and afraid that I would have to do a lot of things alone, and that there won't be people my age (late 20's early 30's) to dance with, etc, in the evenings.

Plus side for going for Halloween:
2 extra days
hosted singles cruise
more ports that I want to see

Downside for going for Halloween:
LOTS of people
sharing a cabin
$200 more
Having to wait until end of October!

What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Have you ever shared a cabin before with a stranger?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Passenger

I have never cruised before, so no.

However, I have lived with roommates for the past 10 years (around 15 different people over the years...and many who I didn't know at the time when I moved in), so I consider myself to be pretty flexible in that regard.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I don't want to persuade you one way or the other. I would never share a cabin with a stranger. However, that is my issue. It may not be yours. Take the cruise you enjoy the most and work around the cabin sharing/not sharing issue.

If you have never cruised before take the group cruise. It is more important that you enjoy your cruise 1,000% than that you have you own cabin. You can spring for your own cabin on your second cruise.

There are threads on this board about sharing cabins. Perhaps you should read some of them and then make up your mind.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessm
I have never cruised before, so no.

However, I have lived with roommates for the past 10 years (around 15 different people over the years...and many who I didn't know at the time when I moved in), so I consider myself to be pretty flexible in that regard.
One thing to keep in mind about a roommate, not only will you not know the person, but these rooms are SMALL, unless you are paying more for a bigger cabin! So if you are a night person, and they are a morning person, you will be crawling over each other every day.

However, if you aren't comfortable traveling my yourself, then the group cruise may be the way to go. Personally I have no problem going by myself and doing my own thing--you can meet people over dinner, or on the excursions...or just spend some time reading and doing your own thing.

But if you aren't comfortable with that, then go for the Oct trip, and try to get as big a room as you can afford.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Passenger

my advice is to drag a girlfriend along and make them go-- The Halloween cruises are SOOOO Much fun, but the shorter cruises usually attract a younger crowd too---We match people up all the time and hardly ever have problems unless you are a problem person--more so than not they end up being friends and traveling together in the future---Read about sharing a cabin and if you have questions feel free to pm me, Thanks, Logan
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Admiral

I agree with Logan! I actually know a whole bunch of people from 3 past cruises going on the Halloween cruise. I went last year and can honestly say it may have been the best Halloween of my life! It was such a fun experiance the whole ship went all out with costumes and was decorated. Im so glad I did it. To be honest almost all the singles I spoke with had good cabin mates and became friends. Yes I have heard a a few horror stories but to be honest the good stories far out weight the bad. You will make friends, you will have great memories, go for it! Read my review of the Carnival Pride Halloween singles cruise for more info.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Boy

My advice is to get a room of your own. I have been on a few cruises, and I have shared a room with someone I KNOW,, and in the future I plan on rooming alone. My cruising buddy and I have been friends since Jr. High, and even with a balcony cabin, I feel that is just too close of quarters for two non gay men in there 40's to be for 7 nights. Next cruise, he's coming along because he is a great wing man, but we won't be rooming together. Enjoy your first cruise, My first cruise is my favorite so far.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Passenger

thanks to all of you...I still don't know what to do, but either way, I'll be on a boat, going somewhere in the sun. I can't really lose, right?

Angelgal, where can I find your review from the halloween cruise?

I'm nervous about there being such a huge crowd for halloween, but nervous about there not being enough people my age if I go in Sept.
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Admiral

My review is under reader reviews highlight ship reviews above and you will see a link, look for Carnival Pride Halloween singles cruise by Showcat.I also reviewed the Costa Mediterrenia ship which was also a singles cruise. Angelgirls might be somewhere in the singles section not sure she is on a cruise now I think, but should return shortly.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks Showcat. I actually meant you, not Angelgal, but got the two of you mixed up. Sorry. I will go check out your review. Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Passenger

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but I still can't find the review. I looked under ship reviews, readers reviews, carnival pride, but couldn't find it.
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Yeoman

I can see why you are having trouble making up your mind. Both options have good and bad points. But as I have said dozens of times before on this board: Sharing a cabin with a stranger is a crap shoot. I suggest you go to Cruisemates' singles section and read my article on sharing with a stranger.

On the other hand, I have been on cruises when there were not any other solo travelers. It was all couples and families, and I did not have a wonderful cruise.

It just depends on what someone else has already said--how flexible you are with sharing with a stranger and how much it means to you to go earlier. By the way, I love the Halloween singles cruises. They are my favorite. Something about Halloween puts everyone in a festive mood, even more so than New Years IMHO.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I suggest goingby yourself because you never know who you willg et stuck with. I went on single share back in 1991 and I was supposed to get a single woman around my age (22 at the time) who was a non-smoker. I got a 31 year old smoker who was sick most of the time and liked to lock the cabin if I wasn't back before midnight!!!!! She also tended to take the botton bed most of the time, even though we agreed to take turns.

I had a great time, she didn't.....GO with a cabin all by yourself and you won't have any problem meeting people on board, afteall, depending on the ship there could be 2000 people.

I am going single in September and I am so looking forward to it, yes, it will suck to not have someone hold my stuff while I go swimming in the sea, but if I am lucky I will find a waterproof backpack or bag so I can go in the water and not worry about someone stealing my valuables.