Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Default GOOD experience sharing a cabin with a stranger?

Okay, so I know it's not preferred, but has anyone had a good/neutral experience getting matched up with a roommate???
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: GOOD experience sharing a cabin with a stranger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessm
Okay, so I know it's not preferred, but has anyone had a good/neutral experience getting matched up with a roommate???
Although I've never had a roomate I have heard both good and bad stories from other cruisers, in other words, it's a crap shoot! 8)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
Yeoman

When I was in my thirtys I was willing to have a stranger as a roomie and I never had any problems being assigned to a nice roomie.
But then one day I got a lousy roomie who was critical of me and she hurt my feelings. I was too young to verbally be able to defend myself in a assertive manner. But now that I am super assertive I am able to afford my own cabin and will only book with people I know.

My advice is to go for it if saving money is important for you. Try to get to know your assigned roomie before you cruise together. You will have time to talk a couple of months before you cruise together. You will get a sense of your roomie's personality.
It's important to ask if they smoke or drink and also set some rules like not inviting company over to the cabin. Ask whatever else is important to you as a roomie.
I like to ask if they have any medical problems so I will know what to do if the roomie gets ill all of a sudden. Most people look normal but might have serious alergies, high blood pressure, diabetic, heart trouble, etc... or not have any serious medical problems.
Some roomies are early risers and others like to sleep late.

If you are a hang loose type of person then you will be able to get along with a stranger roomie if they are not weirdos..
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Beginner

Default How much is peace of mind worth to you?

I'd ask yourself that question. How much is your peace of mind worth? I know the single supplement can be about TWICE the price of a room. But if you're like me, unless the person is a known friend (and even then, something like being stuffed in a sardine can for 7 days could destoy that), I want my space. I like to spread my stuff out, come back for quiet naps, chill out when I need, go to bed early (alone, hahaha, but of course...) etc. I have heard such stories of horror! Weird habits, stealing clothes and makeup, midnight orgies (haha, but you know what I mean). I'm considering the VTG cruise in Jan, but unless one friend of mine wants to go to, I'll definitely take my own cabin. Sometimes it's nice to know you can get away to a quiet place, even to just recharge for a little bit!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to b4coco Send a message via Yahoo to b4coco

hey bill what were some of the bad things you heard?
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4coco
hey bill what were some of the bad things you heard?
On my 2 cruises I never thought of having a roommate but I have a list of bad things that my other fellow travellers had.

1. Fight for space and privacy
2. Catching your roommate illness
3. Roommate brings in an "overnight guest" and locks you out or have the guest staying over for the duration of the cruise
4. Sharing the room safe
5. Roommate "borrowing" you clothes
6. Having a RM who smokes
7. Having a RM who drinks too much or an alcoholic
8. A RM with emotional or mental issues
9. A RM who somehow runs out of money (yes I know it's impossible on a cruiseship, but it does happens; i.e. gambling, money on excursions)

There are more but you guys can add them.

The above list is one of the reasons I am willing to pay the extra suppliment to cruise alone . . . and I enjoy it.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Yeoman

THE BAD AND THE GOOD:

HERE IS THE GOOD:

YOU SAVE MONEY by having a roomie.

You could get lucky... because your roomie decides not to cruise so you have the whole cabin to yourself. Or... your roomie decides to move and be roomies with another friend who has her own cabin. That actually happened with one of my cruising friends. She got the cabin all to herself when her roomie moved out to be with her friend.

You become fast friends and hang out together.

You can do your own thing and not really have to hang out with your roomie if you don't want to do that.

You each set your room rules like no guests allowed. This is your space and this is my space and storage. Plus, other things that are important to each of you.

You lock your important things in your luggage with a strong lock. Or... you can ask the Front Desk to lock up your money in a safety box in their safe.

If your roomie hogs the cabin most of the time you tell the person to let you also have your own private time in the cabin.

Don't be shy in expressing your feelings and just be assertive and state what you want. You may get it or you may not. It doesn't hurt to try.

If your roomie is critical of you.... let it go into one ear and out of the other. I have done that with a critical roomie.

Try to find a private place on the ship to just sit and read or take a short nap during the cruise. I do that even when I have my own cabin because it is fun to do that. You can stay out of your cabin as much as possible by doing that.

You can take your showers at the SPA. I like to do that because the showers are bigger and I can take my time. Plus, I can blow dry my hair and get dressed at the Spa. I do that just for fun eventhough I have my own cabin most of the time. It is free to do that.

Get your clothes ready the night before so when you wake up in the morning you can take a fast shower and get dressed real fast and get out of the cabin and don't go back until it is time to sleep. Most people do that anyway. A cabin is just a place to sleep at night.

If you feel totally unhappy with your roomie then it is time to have a private talk with your singles group Host or Hostess and ask for advice.
If there are empty cabins available you may be able to move to one but have to pay extra money for it. I don't really know if that is possible but I would try that.

Overall.... there are some good things with having a roomie too. Most cruisers are really nice people. But if you get a lemon... make lemonade.
Angelgal
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Angelgal,

Your GOOD POINTS are interesting, but I had a smile on my face when I opened my cabin door to find a room to myself. The thought of "What if" I had a roommate never came crossed my mind during my cruise.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Yeoman

Hi Beetle, when I was younger in my 30's I never wanted my own cabin or hotel room because I didn't want to be alone. Plus, I saved money by having a roomie.

But now that I am a mature gal I do like having my own cabin because I can afford it. If I couldn't afford it I would get me a roomie because being on a cruise is better than staying home.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Passenger

deleted
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Passenger

deleted
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I had a roomie when I went on my first cruise and the only bad thing about that cruise was the roomie!!!!

I was 22, she was 31. I don't smoke, she smoked. I was up for having a damn good time, she was sick most of the time--and she even locked the cabin on me a few times. She even took most of the clothes storage space and left me to cram my stuff where I could. I was wishing they had me with the woman next door, she was a hoot!!!!

I would rather pay the premum to have my own cabin just to know I don't have to put up with a total strangers crap.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yeoman

Cruisers need to ask to be roomies with NONE-SMOKERS.

CRUISERS need to set rules of "this is your space and this is my storage space 50-50 "and have an agreement.
These are your towels and these are my towels.

Some singles do get sick sometimes on a cruise. That is something you can't control. I always ask if they have any medical problems so I will know what to do if the person gets ill all of a sudden.

Being locked out of your room.... you can call your cabin steward or front desk to open your cabin door. Plus, I would assertively tell my roomie not to do that again or I will do the same to her and lock her out.

By setting the rules right away and being assertive you avoid having serious problems.
I have had many nice roomies who were strangers and I only had one roomie that was not verbally nice to me and she would hurt my feelings. But that is a problem I have in any situation to this day. I get my feelings hurt sometimes but it is something I can't control.

I would still ask for a roomie if I wanted to save money because the money I save I can use to go on tours at the ports.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default Cabin mate success

My first experiance rooming with a stranger was a success story. I learned a lot, I learned never to judge a book by it's cover!

My cabin mate was older then me, was married unlike me, had kids unlike me, wasn't into working out like me, but it did not matter in the least, she was laid back and funny, we shared the same liberal political views, she was a blast, although we did our own thing on the ship (she was booked with a bachlorette party, me with the singles group by the same travel agent) at night we would talk and laugh our heads off comparing stories. She was a morning person Im a night owl but she slept soundly and didn't wake when I came in nor did she wake me when I was sleeping. She offered to give me the closet space I offered to split it with her 50/50 which is fair. Im so grateful for the wonderful experiance and memorys of meeting her. On the cruises that followed I have gotten my own cabin mates, from other passengers I meet from the singles groups and became friends with.

I think it's about compromise and communication, any problems you can't handle diplomatically go to the singles host and perhaps they can intervine, try not to argue with anyone or be confrontational, however don't let anyone take unfair advantage of you eather.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Passenger

I know I am booked with a non-smoker and someone close to my age so that is good. Like I said before, I am pretty laid back, so I don't think that is going to be a problem. I think I will try to establish some basic rules like: please no night companions to the room, and try to arrange times for the bathroom in the morning. I'm just hoping that she will be as comprimising and willing to make this work as much as I am.

We are both going to be on vacation, and we both want to have a fabulous time (I know I do at least) so if we can keep our minds on that, it will all be fine. And I'll bring ear plugs just in case
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Default Important packing items

Don't forget to pack a power strip cause the room only has one outlet for electricity, this is such a small thing and it makes a big difference. I also use a dim nightlight, since the cabins are pitch black this way you can find your way to the bathroom at night without turning on the light. A travel alarm is helpful as well, and I like a sleep mask for sleeping on planes, or if someone wants the curtains open and your still trying to sleep.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Yeoman

Hi Showcat, great advise for singles who need a roomie. Yes, some roomies can be super compatiable. But you must set some rules like you have said. Angelgal
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Passenger

showcat just leave the light on in the bathroom and leave the door cracked, and wow that sounds like me a night owl and not a early person, but you 2 must of been sound sleepers not to wake each other in such a small room.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I perfer the night light I brought a little blue one it's really soft and perfect for the ship. No one is going to get me up early in the morning if I can help it, but on shore excursions days, It comes in handy to have a cabin mate wake me.