Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Default Really worried about hurricanes during my cruise (halloween)

Okay, so I'm officially obsessed, and can't stop reading about the cruise. In looking through posts on this message board from last year, I noticed a lot of people advising to "be careful" about booking anything from Aug - December because of hurricanes and bad weather.

I would be really disappointed if I had crappy weather for my whole cruisee. I am from Seattle, and I am used to the clouds and the rain, and I REALLY just want a week in the sun.

I would have booked for early summer, but it was kind of a decision based on cost for me to book the halloween cruise. Now, I'm really nervous about it and having second thoughts.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yeoman

Hey Jess, I have cruised through many hurricanes and I never had a problem. Those were the good old days when I thought it was normal for the ships to rock and roll. I would walk around like if I was drunk..

BUT.... Most ships today have learned to avoid hurricanes. If a hurricane is getting near by the ship they will take the ship to a safer area of the ocean. They are not willing to risk damage to their multi-million dollar ships by going through a hurricane anymore in this year.

Last year the Carnival Pride ship went north instead of south to avoid a major hurricane. I wish I had been on that cruise... it would have been fun.

It does state in all the cruise-line rules that if a ship has to miss a port because of bad weather... they have the option to by-pass that port. Plus, they will refund your port fees that you paid.

There is no way that foul weather will mess up your cruise unless you have a shittttyy atitude and want things to go perfect. We do not live in a perfect world eventhough most of the time things are great in our lives.

Hey Jess, I think you are just afraid of the unknown... but if you let fear take a hold on you.....maybe you will never accomplish much in life because of your own fears that are unfounded.
It is normal to be afraid of new experiences. I also get afraid of new experiences but if I don't try it I will never know what I have missed.

I was also afraid when I went on my first cruise. But then I found out what a wonderful experience it was for me and I fell in love with cruising.
You may find out you really don't like cruising but at least you gave it a try. Or.... you may have the best time of your life!!!
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Larryb3
Default Seems to me....

My first cruise will be a Halloween cruise this year. The way I look at it is....They wouldn't keep having Halloween cruises and those cruises would not be some of the most popular cruises if they were normally ruined by hurricane weather. I am from Louisiana, and trust me, the LAST thing I want after the past 2 years is to cruise into a hurricane...yet I booked a cruise during hurricane season. I did that due to the several hundred posts I have read and people I have talked to that said they had a great time and were not affected. So ..I hope this makes you feel a little better about it.

Old May 28th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Passenger

Angelgal, you hit the nail on the head. I am terrified of the unknown. I need to just relax and determine right now that no matter what, I am going to have a fabulous time! It's my vacation and I've worked dang hard for it!!!! I better enjoy it!

Larry, you made me feel a lot better. Thank you!!!
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessm
Angelgal, you hit the nail on the head. I am terrified of the unknown. I need to just relax and determine right now that no matter what, I am going to have a fabulous time! It's my vacation and I've worked dang hard for it!!!! I better enjoy it!

Larry, you made me feel a lot better. Thank you!!!
Jess, just make sure you buy travel insurance!!!
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yeoman

Beetle is right about buying travel insurance. My medical insurance doesn't pay if I go on cruise ships so if I was to get suddenly ill with what ever.... my travel insurance with pay the bills.
Since I cruise so much I have decided to buy a yearly travel insurance plan because it saves me a lot of money.

Jess, you can buy "I INSURED" Insurance plan for about $30-40. Your agent can buy it for you. It has good coverage for different problems.
You are a young gal so I don't expect you to have any medical problems but if someone in the family gets ill you can cancel your cruise and get your money back.
Cruise ships never return money once their deadline date passes for getting your money back. Most Ships will give you back your money if you cancel before 70-75 days... so always read the fine print for deadline dates.
For many years I traveled without insurance but after the 9/11 incident and my parents getting old... I decided to play it safe and get travel insurance in case I have to cancel the cruise.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Admiral

In late October you should be just fine. I live hurricane territory August and September are the worst months. By Halloween the weather is generally a bit cool for the worst weather.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">