Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Default liberty for singles

just wondering how the liberty is for singles? i'm in my low 50's looking for a group to hang with. i be crusing on nov. 10.
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: liberty for singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin c
just wondering how the liberty is for singles? i'm in my low 50's looking for a group to hang with. i be crusing on nov. 10.
I was on an 8 day Liberty a few weeks ago. I cruise solo. There are less singles/solos than on a shorter cruise but plenty of singles who were on the ship as are part of a group.

If you are looking for shipboard romance, it depends on what is your fancy. The challenges on the ship will be the same that would exist in the real world.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yeoman

Due to cruise lines offering big discounts to large groups, more and more families are onboard and fewer solo travelers. That is why I no longer recommend traveling by yourself. Book an organized singles cruise and you will be guaranteed lots of companionship as well as nearly non-stop activities. These days, it's the only way to cruise for a single. Check out our Cruisemates' singles calendar in the singles section, and also read my article about my latest singles cruise on Carnival's Triumph. You will find it on Cruisemates' home page.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
Due to cruise lines offering big discounts to large groups, more and more families are onboard and fewer solo travelers. That is why I no longer recommend traveling by yourself. Book an organized singles cruise and you will be guaranteed lots of companionship as well as nearly non-stop activities. These days, it's the only way to cruise for a single. Check out our Cruisemates' singles calendar in the singles section, and also read my article about my latest singles cruise on Carnival's Triumph. You will find it on Cruisemates' home page.
I beg to differ. Cruzin solo and cruzin in a singles group both offer opportunities and challenges.

Cruzin solo is for people that do not mind their own company, are not intimated if left alone and/or are personable and fun to be around so that people will naturally gravitate to and want to be around them. Cruzin' solo is the ultimate in self-indulgence. This is only for the self-confident and adventurous.

Cruzin' in a singles group is for everyone else. In a singles group, you already have your ready made set of friends, temporary shipboard romance is more likely and for those who do not have or want to cruise with personal friends or family, you have a group setting with none of the "after cruise" ramifications. A singles group is good if you are not comfortable alone, want to be around a lot of people or need a little help in getting into the swing. However, I imagine it is a bit like sleep away camp with someone around 24/7 to tell you what "is next on the schedule".

I am taking my first singles group cruze in September but I don't expect it will replace my love for cruzing solo. They are two very different things. One is not to the exclusion of the other. To be honest, I foresee me eventually breaking away from my singles group after a few days. The togetherness of it all will start to wear on me. I am a social butterfly but a lone wolf, if it is possible to be both.

P.S. With the exception of one NCL cruise, all of my solo cruzin has been aboard Carnival. They make it easy to cruise solo b/c so many of their activities are group participation and they put all of the solo cruisers at the same one or two dinner tables so there is a temporary bond formed from day 1.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
First Mate

thank you pat and IBCRUZIN FOR YOUR THOUGHTS. I AGREE WITH IB i can cruise anywhere solo.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
First Mate

pat, where on the home page is your review of your latest singles cruise? i can't seem to find it? thanks
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Yeoman

pat, where on the home page is your review of your latest singles cruise? i can't seem to find it? thanks
>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Romance Or Friendship At Sea" is article #2 on the home page, having dropped from #1 by a newer article. It will keep dropping with each new article and eventually go into the archives in Cruisemates' singles section.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yeoman

I beg to differ. Cruzin solo and cruzin in a singles group both offer opportunities and challenges.
>>>>>>>>

You misunderstood my point. What I am saying is that if someone minds traveling alone then they should book an organized singles cruise where they will be assured of the company of other singles. Due to cruise lines discounting prices for large groups, ships are crowded with families these days, so there are not a lot of singles to "mingle" with. But if someone wants to be alone, then there is no problem.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Boy

I sailed the Valor after thanksgiving last year, travelling solo. I was placed at a 'singles' table with seven of the most interesting and fun people I have ever met. One man was my age, or close too it, and we ended up hanging out quite a bit, two other guys were probably late 50's, great guys, one was a bodybuilder, the other a phamacist who enjoyed Karaoke. Two women were about same age as me, lots of fun in the Disco, and a lady a few years older, she was a nurse, so always made sure I was getting plenty of water, and one night checked my pulse. Although we all didn't hang out all of the time together, and sometimes had heated discussions at our table, we called ourselves a 'family'. Last cruise, aboard the Conquest I was seated with a bunch of Married Couples, I asked the Matre D if he could find me a table with Singles, he said there wasn't any. The people I dined with were nice enough folks, but there were very few single women on board that were in my age group, mostly early 20's spring breakers. So I decided that I'll try a 'singles cruise', in hopes that there will be more singles, men and women. I don't know if I'll participate in all of the activities, as sometimes I do like being alone, but will probably attend some of the functions. I think Pat is the expert, and was feeling the same way, don't expect alot of singles while travelling solo, it may not be the case.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
>>>>>>>>

You misunderstood my point. What I am saying is that if someone minds traveling alone then they should book an organized singles cruise where they will be assured of the company of other singles. Due to cruise lines discounting prices for large groups, ships are crowded with families these days, so there are not a lot of singles to "mingle" with. But if someone wants to be alone, then there is no problem.
I guess I don't get the need for my cruise companions to be "single". I don't have a set demographic that I look to socialize with. I often start to make ship friends while standing on line waiting to get on the ship. I am very friendly and fun. I am only alone long enough to eat lunch before the muster drill. After that, I am rarely without some sort of companionship. I do not only socialize with singles. I am not looking for a weeklong shipboard romance so a person's marital status is a non-issue. I spend time with couples, families, single parents, at times I become an honorary member of a group. A lot of times, couples are glad for the company and an added conversationalist. I may enjoy the shows with the wife while the hubby is sleeping and then party the night away in the disco with the hubby. That happens often. I am benign and by far a safe bet to dance the night away with your hubby. Single cruises are fine but, I have never needed one and have had a ball on every solo cruise I have ever taken.

I have always been seated with other singles in the dining room but usually within a night or two, since I am only one person, I am often invited to join other people for dinner.

I am cautiously optimist about this upcoming singles cruise but I don't want to be carrolled into socializing with only this one group. When the lonely hearts go to work on trying desperately to find "shipmates", it is time for me to make myself scarce. It is only when you really want or need semi-romantic companionship that it matters who someone else is on the ship with.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Wow, i sure hope you dont spoil your trip by allowing yourself to socialize with us needy lonely hearts losers that are traveling with a singles group. !!!
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan910
Wow, i sure hope you dont spoil your trip by allowing yourself to socialize with us needy lonely hearts losers that are traveling with a singles group. !!!
You should never take another person's personal preference as a personal affront to your style and habits. I never hinted that there was anything wrong with it. It is just not why I cruise.

Face it, a lot of people (mostly women) go on these singles cruises with the sole purpose of looking for Mr./Ms. Right. We can pretend everyone takes them just to socialize with their marital equals but we all know better. To each its own.

This group cruise is an experiment for me. I may come back and be hooked on the idea of single group cruises forever. However, I am also prepared to find out that single cruises are the newest version of the old "meat market" pick up bars of the 70's. In which case, I will make myself scarce. I can only go by what I read on these various forum boards re: what people seem to look for and get out of singles cruises.

This is why I think cruising solo and cruising with a singles group are two totally different approaches to the same vacation. I don't think one is an improvement over the other nor do they cancel each other out.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

Hey Cruiser gal, I really admire your spunk because I have been inspired lately to have the guts to cruise alone. In the old days I didn't have the money to cruise alone but now I do and I plan to start cruising solo too. I have already cruised twice alone and now I am cruising again solo. I truly enjoy just choosing a cruise I really like and just go and have fun. I am a lot like you in the sense that I talk to everybody. I also like to choose when I want to be with people and when I want to be alone on the ship.

I think when you cruise on the Singles cruise you will have fun at times with the group and then when you feel like it you will go off on your own and do your own thing. I truly enjoy the company of the singles groups because we have so much fun together. I love playing the Trivia games and the other ice breakers. I have so much fun laughing.
It is also great when two guys are chasing after me and wanting to get to know me better. I have had that experience with the singles groups. Some guys chase me and it does feel good. Humm......

I do consider myself part hermit where there are times when I just want to be alone...... then there is the other part of me that is a social butterfly where almost everybody in the group knows who I am.

I hope you do a cruise review here on the singles section after your singles group cruise. I would like to read what you have to say about it.
Luci
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

My spunk was borne out of necessity. In my world, if I wait for someone to vacation with, I will never go anywhere. If I wait for a man to vacation with, my next vacation may well be to the Pearly Gates with Jesus

Therefore, at the point in my life that I realized that my enjoyment of life was solely up to me, I just started to surf the web and book little vacations. My vacations started out as 2 days little junkets Vegas and Atlantic City, NJ. My last cruise was an 8 day long baby on the Liberty. So, I am growing.

When I get the nerve up, I want to go on a safari in Africa. Maybe for my 50th b-day in a couple of years.

However, to each their own likes and pleasures I grant them.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
First Mate

the liberty will be my 4th solo cruise and i have really enjoyed the first 3. i have met some very nice people. including some i still keep in touch with. what i like about cruiseing solo is the adventure of it and the idea i can do what i want when i want. IT'S AN AWESOME IDEA. i really like IBCRUZIN'S idea on cruzin. she just loves it weather she meets anyone or not. just have a good time. after my liberty cruise in november maybe i also will look into a organized singles cruise. i will read pat's review. to anyone single out there. a cruise is the best vacation you can have.
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
First Mate

pat, i just read your review of the singles cruise you were on. doing an organized singles cruise does sound like a great time. i will find out more onsome future sailings, thanks
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Larryb3

I have never been on a cruise, but I am looking forward to doing both singles group cruising and solo cruising. I travel a lot on business/pleasure trips so I am used to doing things by myself. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both. For my first cruise, I just felt like being with a group of people mostly who have cruised before. The Halloween cruise should be a unique experience for a first timer.

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Yeoman

Hi Larry, a Halloween singles cruise is the best fun ever.. I am talking like a little girl......(best fun ever)...... I am a mature gal but when it comes to cruising I become child-like with the joy in my heart on being on a ocean on a cruise ship.
My most recent cruise I played Trivia and won several gifts from Princess. I received a beautiful Princess bag, a calulator with a clock that says Princess on the cover and a Princess luggage strap that I really wanted. I felt like a greedy little girl with all the prizes I won. Sometimes I share my gifts with others on the ship if the person came in second best in playing trivia. One time our group got all the answers wrong and we still got a prize for just playing against another group. yeah!!
I can hardly wait for my halloween cruise. Angelgal
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Beginner

I'm going on the July 7th Liberty cruise as a Single haha

Anybody else?
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatorGuy
I'm going on the July 7th Liberty cruise as a Single haha

Anybody else?
check with www.carnivalconnections.com. for my 5/26/07 liberty cruise we got a nice little group together to meet up after the mustard dill. most didn't show but the 6 or 7 that did were good company during the cruise. in fact, i am trying to convince a couple to go with me on the vacationstogo singles cruise on 09/26/07.

You will have the bestest time ever.

Carnival put all of the singles on the ship at the same table. It was a very nice mix of 9 people. We enjoyed each other's company sporatically throughout the cruise and had lively fun conversations during dinner every night. A few nights we helped keep the dance club lively until the very wee hours. It is very interesting to meet the solo cruisers. They are usually some of the most interesting people on the ship. (IMHO)

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
First Mate

hi IBCRUZIN, where is the vacations to go singles cruise sailing to?
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Yeoman

Hi Kevin, just go to vacationstogo.com and click on Hosted Singles location on the top of the website. Then click on the cruises available.
You will be able to see the ports. Luci
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
First Mate

thanks lucy
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
First Mate

lucy, i did checkout the vacationstogo site and they do have some interesting cruises. i might have to look into changing my current plans.
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I am on the 09/29/07 Glory cruise. I am cautiously optomist about this cruise.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM
Yeoman

Hi Cruiser gal, I think you will have fun because if you don't like the group you can just do your own thing. I have seen some singles do that. I think the main reason some solo cruisers cruise with a group is because sometimes the singles groups have a better rate for single suppliment or the person just wants to save money by having a roomie assigned to them. Then they just do their own thing.
I always ask for the Cat.4-A rate if on a Carnival Cruise. I enjoy having my own cabin. Luci
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Admiral

I had a great Cat 1A cabin reserved when I discovered that VTG was going on this cruise. After some thought, I opted to cancel my original reservation and rebook through VTG. Their inside cabin is going to cost $125 more than my Cat 1A cabin which was one of the two 1A cabins on the ship that have two picture windows. I sacrificed the window for the single group cruise experience. I have a cabin to myself booked. I don't want to share a cabin just to save a few hundred dollars.

We will see what happens. I will absolutely have a ball. With or without participating in the singles' group.

Of course, I will have a complete review of both the ship and my single group cruise experience.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yeoman

Hi cruiser gal, I sent you a private message. Luci
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
First Mate

now i'm torn. cancel my liberty in nov. and go on vtg singles cruise? what do you think?
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin c
now i'm torn. cancel my liberty in nov. and go on vtg singles cruise? what do you think?
It is up to you. Do you want to go with a group or go solo. As a man, you have options either way because there are always a lot of single women on these ships. There are single women travelling with family members, single women travelling with their elderly parents, single women travelling with other single women.

If you are torn, go for the singles group, that way you have a cluster of singles to socialize with.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes