Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Shipboard romance with a crew member?

I have read several articles lately saying that it is against the ship's rules for crew members to have romances with passengers. Has anybody had one lately without problems? If so, please tell us about it. I, personally, believe it is still happening.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yeoman

Well..... I remember in the old days when the crew members would invite gals to go in their cars for a tour of a port because the crew member lived in that port. Last year this lady told me her adult daughter took off with a crew worker for a car ride of Puerto Vallarta. I don't know if a romance got started or not..... but when a crew worker takes the time to take a passenger for car ride.... I consider that he is serious about the gal.
Recently, two Canadian gals were flirting with the handsome crew workers and the Captain announced for the passengers not to be going into the crew workers living space.... something like that.... I think the gals got caught spending time with the crew. I didn't ask if they were the ones caught because every time I spent time with them they were chasing the crew workers.. The ship's comedian was super handsome and he was chasing after me on that cruise but I didn't show interest. He was planning to get off the ship and move to Las Vegas because he got a job there.
On the NCL Star ship I did flirt with one of the Captain's officer who was one of the ship's pilot and we would meet at the buffet area openly. I told him that if I was a crew worker on the ship that I would become his girlfriend. He loved the idea. I didn't have a fling with him but I could have if I had wanted to. I cut off the friendship when my gal roomie got super jealous and started talking bad about him. I decided just to back off to keep the peace with her.
I am going back on the NCL Star this coming Sept. so I may see him again and be free to talk with him since I am cruising alone. Humm....
Last time he had invited me to go visit him in the pilot room but I never did. Maybe this time I can go see the pilot room. Humm....
"Bad gals go everywhere". Angelgal
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

I forgot to mentioned that my neice had a two year romance with our cabin steward. She was working in San Diego at the time and was staying in a plush hotel. When the crew worker would arrive in port he would spend some time with her. He was serious about her but she was just having a fling. He truly loved her but she broke it off.
Since the ship is located in L.A. I take him nice gifts every time I go on a cruise. My neice would also send him gifts of CD music, photos and a love letter. He would almost cry with joy with her little gifts for him. I once gave him a beautiful jogging suit and he totally loved it. He gave me a bottle of wine in return.
I am planning to go back on that ship again this Fall and I will take him another nice gift because he is such a nice young man.
My neice is young and single and likes to just date guys. Angelgal
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Luci:

Hmmm - pilot room? Think the navigation relelated areas are now off limits after 9/11. Miss the good ol' days when kiddo could go on the bridge and steer under dual control. He's actually been under single control in Alaska on several other ships and has done boating classes.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Well..... I remember in the old days when the crew members would invite gals to go in their cars for a tour of a port because the crew member lived in that port. Last year this lady told me her adult daughter took off with a crew worker for a car ride of Puerto Vallarta. I don't know if a romance got started or not..... but when a crew worker takes the time to take a passenger for car ride.... I consider that he is serious about the gal.
Recently, two Canadian gals were flirting with the handsome crew workers and the Captain announced for the passengers not to be going into the crew workers living space.... something like that.... I think the gals got caught spending time with the crew. I didn't ask if they were the ones caught because every time I spent time with them they were chasing the crew workers.. The ship's comedian was super handsome and he was chasing after me on that cruise but I didn't show interest. He was planning to get off the ship and move to Las Vegas because he got a job there.
On the NCL Star ship I did flirt with one of the Captain's officer who was one of the ship's pilot and we would meet at the buffet area openly. I told him that if I was a crew worker on the ship that I would become his girlfriend. He loved the idea. I didn't have a fling with him but I could have if I had wanted to. I cut off the friendship when my gal roomie got super jealous and started talking bad about him. I decided just to back off to keep the peace with her.
I am going back on the NCL Star this coming Sept. so I may see him again and be free to talk with him since I am cruising alone. Humm....
Last time he had invited me to go visit him in the pilot room but I never did. Maybe this time I can go see the pilot room. Humm....
"Bad gals go everywhere". Angelgal
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yeoman

Hi Diver guy, it is really interesting but all I have to do is go to a certain entertainment stage during the day and open the curtains and I can see the navigation area through a glass window.
Hey.... I am a female and us females go everywhere.... hummm.....
Since when do people not break the rules? I am sure there have been places and times when people break the rules even after 9/11.

Here is an example; remember the rule about only carrying 3oz liquids through airport security? The security gal was searching my things and even looked into my lipstick and then we noticed a large bottle of perfume in my carry on bag. The security guy looked at it and said to me 'that's okay you can take it." This was a time during a high security alert when almost everybody was being checked and many things were being thrown away as found in the carry-on's. They even had the rule that only quart sized baggies could be used for the 3oz liquids. I was using a gallon size baggie and they got all upset but they still let me pass. Strange huh!

It would be funny if the Captain makes a public announcement...."No people in the navigation area... it is off limits.". humm......
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Navigation under glass

Yeah, rules are not always followed which makes for job security for us auditors. 8) Guess my profession is genetic since my I come from a line of auditors, assessors, recorders and the like. Records-R-Us since the 1600's.

Have had various small tools make it around airports only to get pulled off
in the stricter ones. Usually have an interesting time with the carry on regulators since our knives go in scabbards attached to our hoses and the pointed scabbards get scanned at least twice.

Guess you females can still charm your way around the ships. And a smile works on the TSA folk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Diver guy, it is really interesting but all I have to do is go to a certain entertainment stage during the day and open the curtains and I can see the navigation area through a glass window.
Hey.... I am a female and us females go everywhere.... hummm.....
Since when do people not break the rules? I am sure there have been places and times when people break the rules even after 9/11.

Here is an example; remember the rule about only carrying 3oz liquids through airport security? The security gal was searching my things and even looked into my lipstick and then we noticed a large bottle of perfume in my carry on bag. The security guy looked at it and said to me 'that's okay you can take it." This was a time during a high security alert when almost everybody was being checked and many things were being thrown away as found in the carry-on's. They even had the rule that only quart sized baggies could be used for the 3oz liquids. I was using a gallon size baggie and they got all upset but they still let me pass. Strange huh!

It would be funny if the Captain makes a public announcement...."No people in the navigation area... it is off limits.". humm......
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Passenger

Default I know one!!

I know, first hand, of an ONGOING relationship btwn. a guest and a staff member. Now, I will not name names or ships b/c frankly, I am not that big of a gossip however...They have been seeing each other for years. She goes on his ship about 2-3x/yr. and they spend their time together. She travels w/ two companions who help defer the cost of the cruise and spends a large amt of time in his cabin/quarters. He is not a lower staff member either.

On the other hand, certain, single episode "hijinks" have also taken place of which I am aware. A young woman had quite a fling w/ a young crew member and it was SUPER juicy. And when they were done w/ each other, that was it. No strings, just fun and sports.

So YES, there are ongoing romances of the long and short term w/ crew. HTH, or at least was an eye-opener!

LadyDi
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I know one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi
I know, first hand, of an ONGOING relationship btwn. a guest and a staff member. Now, I will not name names or ships b/c frankly, I am not that big of a gossip however...They have been seeing each other for years. She goes on his ship about 2-3x/yr. and they spend their time together. She travels w/ two companions who help defer the cost of the cruise and spends a large amt of time in his cabin/quarters. He is not a lower staff member either.
If he is not a lower staff member, he could get his girlfriend a discounted rate so that she doesn't have to drag her friends on a cruise.

I am willing to bet a foo-foo that she is one of many. The crewmember probably has them scheduled throughout the year.

There is a reason why she books her cruises with her girlfriends.

IMHO, I would pick a short fling over a long term relationship (not marriage) that exists primarily only on a ship two or three times a year.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Well...... LadyDi...... I do love to gossip because it is fun to watch people and what they do on cruise ships.. I am a voyeurist who truly enjoys observing people as if they were fish in a fish bowl.
WHAT HAPPENS ON A SHIP DOES NOT STAY ON THE SHIP! Almost everybody finds out things about other cruisers that is going on the ship.

I have a nose for news so I also do an informal interview of cruisers.
I once met a young gal who would cruise often so she could be with a certain cabin steward. He was super handsome and didn't really have an interest in her. She wanted to marry him and was totally unrealistic. I could tell he was not interested in her. She was just a "Booty Call" for him.
I think the booty calls are still happening today. Angelgal/Luci
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Yeoman

Oh, yes, there are still romances with the crew going on. I see them every time I cruise, but not as frequently as back in the 80s when officers would don their special white evening uniforms and go out and mingle with passengers. On NCL's Norway, for instance, officers were encouraged to "shmooze" female passengers. They even had a drink allowance to spend. And they were allowed to take the female to their cabin, but if they went to hers--and got caught--they were fired.

Another rule was that if they took a female to their cabin and then decided, for whatever reason, they did not want to see her again, they were not allowed to fraternize with a different female passenger for the duration of that cruise. The reason being the first female might feel rejected if she happened to have liked that officer, and if she saw him with another woman it would not only hurt her feelings but also make her very angry. I personally witnessed an unpleasant scene in the Disco one night when an officer walked in with a female passenger and the one he had been with the night before was also in the disco and went ballistic. I had a couple of officers tell me they hated that rule, because it was the same as being confined to their cabins for the remainder of the cruise. To go out in public meant possibly encountering the girl they were no longer interested in, plus they could not socialize with another.

Nowadays it is more likely that crew members romance other crew members. That way things don't have to end with the cruise.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yeoman

Hi Pat, you gave us true information about the Officers. I think they are still spoiled guys because it is so easy to pick up on them.
I would be really angry if an Officer dumped me and then I would see him with someone else. That would totally ruin my cruise and I would get him fired because it is not fair to romance a gal and then dump her because then she becomes a booty call gal and her feelings will get truly hurt because she was stupid enought to think that she was special.

It has always been my policy that I never, ever pick up on any guy crew or passenger for a romance on the cruise because if they change their minds about me I would be totally hurt and it would ruin my cruise for me. If a guy really cares about me and is really interested in me they will have to pursue me outside of the ship after the cruise is over.

I have seen too many gals have the experience of getting envolved in a romance in their brain and the guy just sees her as a sexual fling.
The same thing has happened to guy cruisers too. It happened to a guy friend of mine. He became obsessed in watching her every move with other guys and talking bad about her.

I am looking for true love and that is not possible on a 7 day cruise. It can only happen if the guy is willing to call me after the cruise is over and we start to date and get to know eachother better as time passes.

If I ever truly wanted to have a fling on a cruise ship I would wait until the last night of the cruise because the next morning we all are busy getting off the ship and nobody will know what I did... in the night... in the dark.....in my solo cabin....with some delicious, yummy candy guy....huumm...... Drama Queen, Luci
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Yummy candy guy !!! mmmmmmm sounds like fun !!!
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Default Girls gone ballastic!

Yikes, girls gone ballastic! Better to swim with the jellyfish, sharks, and stingrays than to dive into that disco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
I personally witnessed an unpleasant scene in the Disco one night when an officer walked in with a female passenger and the one he had been with the night before was also in the disco and went ballistic.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Yeoman

YES, Baylee, there are all kinds of guy candies on the "Good Ship Lolly Pop". Take your time in choosing a candy because you may get a sour candy instead of a sweet compatiable candy. Yummm. Luci
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Passenger

I know Luci, I just went thru the last 8 months with a sour candy. First year was good then , blahhhh. I'm just going to celebrate my freedom and do something I have always wanted to do all of my life..GO ON A CRUISE and have a great time !!!!! NO DRAMA. I have always dreamed of tropical islands and a cruise and now its gonna be a reality !!!! Needless to say, IM READY
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Yeoman

Baylee, what ship are you cruising on? Luci
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Passenger

We will be on the Carnival Glory !!! I hear its pretty big.
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Yeoman

I know you will have a blast!! Yes, it looks like a great ship to cruise.
I will be cruising with VTG Singles on the Golden Princess, Oct. 27th Halloween cruise. I know I will have a great time too. Luci
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cim56 Send a message via Yahoo to cim56
Default crew dating

If there is Man and there is Women it is happening
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: crew dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cim56
If there is Man and there is Women it is happening
Huh??????

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)