Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Yeoman

Default Multi-Cultural American Singles

delete
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

Personally, I dont think it fair or reasonable to say to any person and based on your quote "My answer to them has always been 'yes, you will meet other Asians and some other wonder singles to hang out with"

How do you know that? Do you have a copy of the ships passenger list in advance or is it a BIG guess and hope?

mmm
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Personally, I dont think it fair or reasonable to say to any person and based on your quote "My answer to them has always been 'yes, you will meet other Asians and some other wonder singles to hang out with"

How do you know that? Do you have a copy of the ships passenger list in advance or is it a BIG guess and hope?

mmm
DBG, there you go again!!!

There is no telling who will be on any particular singles cruise. For people looking to "hook up", they will gravitate to whatever strikes their fancy. At times, I am sure they will step outside of their usual box since it is a ship away from their circle. If it is important that you find your ethnic match, a cruise with a group of strangers may not be the thing. For me, as an African American woman, I specifically am not interested in the "African American cruises". I have many reasons why but mainly because I like diversity when I socialize. I don't need to stick to any particular demographic. I stated that in another thread.

It seems like these singles cruises are designed for people looking to "hook up" (mostly women). That is the one common denominator of most of the people that have been on these single cruises. Who they met that they liked and who flirted with whom and who was zooming who. Very little talk about the interesting platonic encounters. Just "who had the hots for who . . . ." I hope there is more substance to single cruises than that. If not, this will be a one hit wonder for me.

I think that is why I have avoided single cruises thus far. Getting on a ship solo avoids that whole assumption that you are available and looking. Some people may make that assumption when they first realize I am on the ship alone. However, after checking out how I conduct myself on these cruises, one would see that I am not trolling the ship looking for male companionship.

Worth noting, on every cruise I have been on, there are always more men travelling solo than women. A lot of men avoid those single cruises b/c of the preceived notion that they are meat (meet) markets.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Yeoman

edit
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeoman

I think the stigma of traveling alone is a thing of a past. No one thinks anymore that just because you are on a cruise by yourself that you are looking to meet someone, whether on a hosted singles cruise or not.

Most everyone nowadays is sophisticated enough to realize that there are bunches and bunches of solo travelers out there who travel by themselves rather than stay home and their only interest IS traveling. Not looking for someone. That is so 1980s.

And if there are any square heads out there who do think you are merely looking for someone, their opinion should not matter to you at all. So enjoy yourself.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
I think the stigma of traveling alone is a thing of a past. No one thinks anymore that just because you are on a cruise by yourself that you are looking to meet someone, whether on a hosted singles cruise or not.

Most everyone nowadays is sophisticated enough to realize that there are bunches and bunches of solo travelers out there who travel by themselves rather than stay home and their only interest IS traveling. Not looking for someone. That is so 1980s.

And if there are any square heads out there who do think you are merely looking for someone, their opinion should not matter to you at all. So enjoy yourself.

Pat Hagan, Singles Editor
Pat, this post is exactly what I am hoping for when I do my singles group cruise. Regardless of what others in this singles' group intentions are, my circle of cruisers will have the fun-est time possible.

When I tell people I travel solo, most are surprised because I am such a people's person. After I explain the upside to solo travel, they usually are in awe of the idea of just going. Many, many people sit home because they do not have anyone to vacation with. Those of us who vacation either solo or in groups of singles are the pioneers of what will be a ballooning vacation style. More people are unmarried, married couples are realizing that their vacation choices do not match and people are living longer, healthier lives. There is a large untapped number of single people just waiting for the right encouragement. A cruise is the perfect vacation for singles. You do as much as you want or as little as you want and are never left out of the action.

I got an email the other day from one of the singles cruise companies advertising RCCL cruises with little or no single supplement. It looks like RCCL may finally realize that they are frozen out of a juicy and growing market share. I have never seen a study but I am willing to bet that singles/solos spend more money per capita than people cruising in couples and family/friend/job groups. They more than make up for the lost in revenue from half of a Cat 1A cabin or half tip.

RCCL better catch up.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I got that same e-mail about reduced single supplements on RCCL, and I was truly amazed, as it's really against their long standing policy.

I agree that singles probably generate a good amt. of revenue for the cruise line. For instance, as a single female, I tend to book the ship's shore ex. I'm not interested in sitting in my cabin and drinking by myself, so I purchase drinks in bars. Since I'm by myself, I purchase an internet pkg. so I can "check in" on a daily basis so my family knows my whereabouts. It all adds up.

Shelby
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Yeoman

delte
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I remember when I first started going out to eat at restaurants as a single gal..... the waiters would ask "Are you all by yourselfff......." and give me a sad look. I was in my early 30's...... and I would say, "Poor me... I am all by myselffff......" Then they would proceed to put me at a lousy table near the kitchen door or some far corner.....that didn't have a window. I would then say, 'No, this table is not acceptable", "I want a window". They would say, "That area is closed". "Then I would start to walk out.... they would stop me and give me a window.
"It still happens today... but I get Assertive and say that I want a window table for one before they say anything to me.

On cruise ships when ever I am eating alone at the main restaurant.... I always say, "I want to eat with a large group of people." If they give me a table with a bunch of kids or a corner table without a window.... I say, "I don't like this table... please find me a better location." They don't like it but they do find me a better location with adults. I like kids but some ships have tables that have a long lounge sitting area...... and sometimes the 4yr.old kids start playing close to my table and start to slide towards me at my table. That's okay with me. I just watch the parents not controlling their kids as they jump around the lounge chair.
Funny you should mention this. On the Liberty last month, I book dinner at the upscale restaurant Harry's. When I arrived, the hostess put me all the way in the back of the restaurant in the corner. The restaurant was 80% empty!! :evil: I sat there for a few minutes and then told the waitress to get the hostess for me. When the hostess came to the table, I asked her why she put me in the back of the restaurant where I couldn't see the singers or anyone else for that matter when there were so many empty tables. She said, "I assumed since you are alone, you would want to be in the back." I asked her, "Why would you assume that?" She didn't have an answer for me. I told her, "For future referrence never assume someone eating alone wants to hide. I would like a better table please." She put me in front so that I could enjoy the singers while eating my meal. She was embarassed because Harry's trys so hard to exhibit class and proper decorum. She knew she failed miserably.

I do so many things solo now. My pet peeve is having to wait around for someone. I have many close friends but over the years, I have just found it easier and more pleasant to just go and do what I want or have to do. In my world most people that I know are still raising children, paying bills, working on or dissolving marriages. My child is grown, I am divorced and managed to survive that without self-destructing. Therefore, most of my friends are not in the position (mentally, financially, emotionally) right now to make travel and vacation a focal point in their lives. Hence, I just go. Ditto for enjoying a Broadway show, a nice dinner, a sale at the mall, day trip to Atlantic City, etc.

Solo is just so much easier.

Angel, you and I need to do a group cruise together one day. We would have a ball.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yeoman

delete
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

Everyday is a school day if you take the time to actually read posts...

To my embarrassment and to tell the truth, I actually misread the subject posted by angelgal ,,,the thread and the actual subject presented.

But pleased that by jumping in with two feet, we got a reaction to the post

I will now slip into the distance

Respect,
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Everyday is a school day if you take the time to actually read posts...

To my embarrassment and to tell the truth, I actually misread the subject posted by angelgal ,,,the thread and the actual subject presented.

But pleased that by jumping in with two feet, we got a reaction to the post

I will now slip into the distance

Respect,
Don't slip in the distance. Even though I don't always understand what you are saying, I am excited to see your posts because you stir up everyone's mental juices. Behave though, I need you around for a while.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Familiar Face

Nice thread about a topic that people in 2007 shouldn't feel uncomfortable talking about, but still do. I can always count on Angelgal to start an interesting topic that others are afraid to do. I always travel solo cause I spent way too many years sitting home waiting for somebody to go with me. And, whenever somebody would say they wanted to cruise, they'd always end up cancelling or not booking at all claiming that FAS and FV are too expensive, as if they're the only game in town (they're only too expensive to do solo). I finally realized that if I keep waiting on others, I'll never get to see any of this great big beautiful world. But, initially I had concerns about how I'd be treated or if I'd feel welcome. I certainly don't want to spend my vacation time and dollars around a lot of negativity. I've wanted to sail on HAL but had heard that the passengers were "snobby old rich white people" who "look down their noses" at people that don't fit their demographic. (Believe me, those are real quotes from folks I know who've sailed on HAL and fit the "rich white people" category.) That's why I was glad to see the 40+ singles group in December going on the Zuiderdam -- it would give me a chance to experience HAL with a group of like-minded fun-loving people. But, I've found that cruise people are a whole different breed altogether. There's a one-love atmosphere that you can't find on any other kind of vacation. Nobody cares what you are, where you're from or what your financial status is. Nobody cares if your formal night outfit is a designer original or from Ross. If you're alone on an excusion or at a meal, you're invited to join someone else's group -- or someone will ask if they can join you. And who cares if your makeup isn't perfect (on my last cruise I met a couple and the husband said he was glad to see that I wasn't wearing makeup cause he had told his wife she didn't need to wear any and that nobody would care -- he had no way of knowing that I never wear makeup, but his comment made his wife happy so I didn't say anything). Being "ethinic" on a ship doesn't mean you won't "fit in". With around 2000 passengers on a ship, how many people do you really need to befriend you. I wear a smile and I'm not afraid to be the first to say hello or to start a conversation (which is really out of character for me cause I'm such a loner at home). I've never gotten a negative response and sometimes it was just the ice breaker others were waiting for. I don't like giving out my phone number when I first meet people, but I gladly share my email address. People appreciate the honesty because usually they feel the same way but just didn't know how to say it without possibly offending somebody. I've met some wonderful people on cruises that I still keep in touch with and will hopefully see onboard a ship again.
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Yeoman

delete
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Good fun stories.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yeoman

delete
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yeoman

It is so great to read all these postings from very dedicated solo travelers. You are bound to be an inspiration to those who haven't made the "plunge" and booked that cruise, hosted or otherwise.

All it takes is one cruise, and you'll be hooked! Right, singles?
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Yeoman

edete
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Yes, Pat, I hope we are inspiration for someone who is so wanting to take the plunge. So many people, both men and women, sit at home during their vacation and on holidays because they have no one to travel with in their social/family circle. That is so unfortunate and unnecessary.

If talking up singles group cruises and singing the praises of solo cruising inspires just a few people to give it a try, then it is worth the time it takes to type these posts.

I once met a lady (39 yo - I nicknamed her Southern Belle b/c she was from South Carolina and had the cutest southern accent) on a 3 day Christmas cruise. She was an only child and both parents were deceased. She had no kids and had not yet been married. She said every holiday, she would spend Christmas Eve crying herself to sleep because she was all alone in the world. Anyway, Christmas of 2004, she decided that she was tired of trying to find a girlfriend to cruise with her and she was just going to go. As she walked on the ship, she said a prayer and asking God to send her someone she can be friends with so she wouldn't be by herself this year. By dinnertime she was getting worried because she had not yet met anyone that she could pal around with. Well, you know Carnival (in its infinite wisdom) puts all of the solo cruisers at the same table for dinner. She said she was just thinking that she was going to go back to her cabin and just stay in the cabin for the rest of the cruise rather than sit by herself for 3 days. Just as she was formulating that plan, I walked up to the table with my big smile and all my noise, yelling HO! HO! HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE - WHAT TIME IS THE PARTY GONNA START!!! 8) It broke the ice at the table and everyone started laughing at me and talking to each other.

She said when she saw me, she knew that God had answered her prayers and she was not going to be lonely this Christmas!!! She, a gentlemen from England who was also solo and I danced Christmas Eve away (I taught them the electric slide - we were all drunk ), closing the club down at 3:00. The next day was Christmas and she and I spent Christmas together, touring the Hotel Atlantis in the Bahamas and jumping the waves on the beach.

On our last night she hugged me and told me that "I didn't cry or anything at all this year. I am so glad you were on this ship with me." Last time I saw her, she was smiling and giving the English chap her telephone number.!!

She made my holiday and my vacation just a little more fun.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yeoman

edete
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hey Cruiser gal, we should start a new club named "The Angel Gals" because you answered that southern bell's prayer to God. You know what they say at Christmas time..... "Everytime you hear a bell ring an Angel gets their wings." I hear the bells ringing!! God gave us wings to give joy to others. I was just thinking to myself how important it is to meet people who believe in Angels and God. They say that people who believe in God live longer. So I guess we will both get to live a long life.

I come from a family where it is more about expensive gifts than thinking about the birth of Jesus. So I prefer to just get away for Christmas. Last year I had a wonderful time in Palm Springs with a friend.
I need to make plans for this coming year for Christmas time with new friends because that friend is high maintenance and self-centered. I need new friends that know how to give and take. It has to be 50-50% friendship in order for me to be friends with anybody.

I wish that Singles groups would plan a Christmas Cruise for us singles.
They have started planning only New Years cruises.

IF ANYONE HEARS OF A SINGLES CHRISTMAS CRUISE OR LAND TRIP PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! Angelgal
I have been eyeing two Carnival cruises that leave on 12/22. One from Tampa and one from Alabama. They are 5 day cruises. I am debating hoping on one of them. I come from an extremely dysfunctional, toxic little family and have long since given up on doing the family gatherings for the holidays.

However, then I look at the same cruise two weeks later and the price is less than half of the cost for the christmas cruise. So then I rethink cruising christmas.

If at a later date, Carnival lowers the price of their christmas cruises, I may decide to jump aboard.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

WOW! Okay now I am happy I did it! Booked my first singles cruise that is. I booked with VTG for the Feb 40+ on the Westerdam. This will be my 10th cruise but the have all been on Carnival. I was a little concerned about whether I'd have as much fun as I do on Carnival. I usually travel with a girlfriend of mine, but this year our schedules just didn't jive. I wondered about the minority issue with the group. But then I thought...what does it matter. I don't worry about it at any other time. I love diversity and meeting new people. Living and working in a very multicultural area, I have dated a variety of cultures and have friends and co workers from all over the world. I am not shy by any means and have a great sense of humor. That being said, I am sooooooo looking forward to my virgin singles cruise, not to be confused with the single virgins cruise!
I hope to see some of you guys one of these days on the high seas.

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Yeoman

edlete
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Angelgal,
I'd love to be an Angels Club Single. I have never vacationed over the Christmas holidays, unless it was a family thing. But I think it would be great or a New Year's cruise.

Oh you should definitely book with us for your birthday. You celebrate yours late and I'll celebrate mine even later. I'm Jan 5.

I agree with how to handle your family. You have got to do what you need to to maintain your own sanity. Fortunately, I have a very caring and communicative family. It is definitely a blessing to know they have your back.

Now go ahead and get to booking on that cruise.!!!!!

BOOKED CRUISES

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

Hi Lyn, Angel club member..... I am one of these persons that sometimes makes up things like a fantasy and then in the future it becomes a reality. So I think my idea for an Angel Singles Club will become a reality in our future.
I was the one that started the idea of the VTG T-SHIRT CONTEST just for fun among my new cruiser friends on VTG on my first cruise with them.
We really didn't have a contest on that cruise but then VTG decided to have a Crazy t-shirt contest that is presently in effect. It was also my idea to have a Decoration Door Contest and that idea was implemented by VTG on our cruises. Two of my ideas became a reality.

Lyn, you can now start thinking up creating a door decoration for your cabin door and create a beautiful t-shirt for the contests.

I created a simple poster for my cabin door that says, VTG Singles. I use that to find my cabin door. If I forget to pack it. I use the ship's post card on my door.

Since I have cruised 5 times with VTG I have several VTG t-shirts that I have redecorated. I save them so I can wear them on my VTG cruises.
The vtg contest allows people to decorate any type of t-shirt that is not a vtg t-shirt. The winners are always gals who have created some super beautiful t-shirts.

I just remembered.... you will also be given a name tag and a colored wrist band to wear. I started the idea of decorationg my colored wrist band with elastic ribbon so it would streach sp when I would wear it. I like to decorate things.

Hey cruiser gal, I checked the cruise rates for Alabama and Tampa. I don't care for the ports. I have been there many times.
I think I will just book a cruise on the RCL Monarch of the Seas located in my home port for a simple 4 day cruise. I don't like to fly during the Christmas holiday because of the bad weather and congested airports.
I am going to ask a friend to cruise with me for Christmas. If she changes her mind I will cruise SOLO. Luci, Angel Singles Club
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Admiral

If and when I finally cross over and do royal caribbean, it won't be for Christmas because they do not believe in giving solo cruisers a break on the supplement. Also, if you cruise with a girlfriend, Carnival will not put you at the solo cruiser's table. You will be put at a table with other women pairs.

Like you Angel, my family's dysfunction can be directly traced back to my mother. A person whom I now realize was inflicted with some form of mental illness or antipersonality disorder all of her adult life. Our childhood was so bizarre and because her behavior never changed or mellow, this weirdness has affect our adult lives and that of our children. It is an impossible task when the matriach/patriach of a family clan is the toxic, destructive one. That usually cannot be fixed. Most cases, the family just disintegrates over time and generations.

Anyway, I can cruise out of any port on Christmas but will only probably consider Carnival unless one of the others have a really good price. I am a partier and a cruise drinker so I am not interested in being on a ship that is asleep by midnight. RCCL, HAL, Princess, Century are hit or miss as far as nightlife is concerned. Carnival is usually pretty consistent.

That HAL Over 40 cruise may be very sedate. I am sure it would be too sedate for me. When they say over 40, they will probably see mostly over 60 passengers. I am 48 and would not cruise with an "over 40"crowd. Too old for a base age.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn_N
Angelgal,
I'd love to be an Angels Club Single. I have never vacationed over the Christmas holidays, unless it was a family thing. But I think it would be great or a New Year's cruise.

Oh you should definitely book with us for your birthday. You celebrate yours late and I'll celebrate mine even later. I'm Jan 5.

I agree with how to handle your family. You have got to do what you need to to maintain your own sanity. Fortunately, I have a very caring and communicative family. It is definitely a blessing to know they have your back.

Now go ahead and get to booking on that cruise.!!!!!

Hi Lyn!! You look pretty young in your picture. I was looking at your list of upcoming cruises and your list of past cruises. You do realize that the demographics of your future cruises will be vastly different from the demographics of your past cruises, right?

A 14 day cruise, regardless of the cruiseline, will be made up of mostly older, retired people. Holland America caters to an older passenger base.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCCL deal

Ok,

I need to ask where you found the good single rates on RCCL. The best I have ever found was 150% and have one of those this fall. Maybe I received this and missed it.

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yeoman

edited
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Passenger

[Hi Lyn!! You look pretty young in your picture. I was looking at your list of upcoming cruises and your list of past cruises. You do realize that the demographics of your future cruises will be vastly different from the demographics of your past cruises, right?

A 14 day cruise, regardless of the cruiseline, will be made up of mostly older, retired people. Holland America caters to an older passenger base.]

Yeah IBCRUSIN, I know the demographic will be different on the 14day cruise. My cousin is going with me. I am loading up my 80gb IPOD with movies,audiobooks and music. Also packing my scrabble game.This is a new experience. I am counting on the fact that it is a Carnival ship to be my saving grace. Actually my BIG Plan is to meet a hot Latin Luva on the 4th day, and we spend all of our days and nights together learning each other's language. My Italian is limited. On the last day I find out that he is independently wealthy and can't live without me! DANG, THEN I WAKE UP WHEN I HIT THE FLOOR!

As for my VTG cruise, its over 40, so there will be people my age and older I know. By then I'll be 44 so no worries. And I love Bahamas and Aruba. Curacao will be new.

[/quote]

BOOKED CRUISES

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory