Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Hey Showcat and other VTG cruiser friends!!!

I just got an e-mail from Dixie who plans the cruises for VTG Singles. She said she is working on planning an affordable cruise to Europe for next year 2008. I told her to count me in for that cruise. I have a group personality and would love to cruise to Europe next year with VTG.
Showcat... I would like for you to be my roomie. Save your money for that big time cruise. Most likely it will happen during the summer months.

Dixie doesn't have any real plans yet so don't contact her. As soon as she gets more information she will contact all of us in her VTG Singles newsletter that she e-mails us. Lucie
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Yeoman

Dixie is one of the most energetic cruise hosts I have ever met. Lots of fun. And if VTG does a singles cruise in Europe next year it will surely be a winner...and I want to go, too!

Pat Hagan
Singles Editor
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from a Baltic cruise a couple of weeks ago and it as fantastic. The cruise was totally different than the Carib and even Alaska or Hawaii. The main draw was the history and experiencing different cultures. I enjoyed every port especially some of the smaller ones. The only thing I can say is, bring plenty of $$ and a Visa or Mastercard. Leave your American Express and Discover cards at home unless you are using them for your onboard ship account.
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Yeoman

Please give us more details about your cruise. What ship? Did you travel solo? It sounds very interesting, and I'm sure all our singles here would love to hear about it.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hey Showcat and other VTG cruiser friends!!!

Any idea on the itinerary? I'm looking to nail Africa, Asia and Europe in one swoop. Probably Italy, Turkey, and Egypt or Tunisia....
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I just got an e-mail from Dixie who plans the cruises for VTG Singles. She said she is working on planning an affordable cruise to Europe for next year 2008. I told her to count me in for that cruise. I have a group personality and would love to cruise to Europe next year with VTG.
Showcat... I would like for you to be my roomie. Save your money for that big time cruise. Most likely it will happen during the summer months.

Dixie doesn't have any real plans yet so don't contact her. As soon as she gets more information she will contact all of us in her VTG Singles newsletter that she e-mails us. Lucie
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yeoman

Hey Vince, why was the American Express and Discover card turned down by the vendors in ports? I only have those two cards.
Please do a cruise review on the Singles section so we singles can read it.

Hey Diver guy, I think that the VTG Europe cruise will be a simple cruise of England, Italy, France and Spain. I don't think it will include Africa or Asia. So go ahead with your personal plans. Angelgal
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the update. May do a last minute solo cruise over there to scout out the territory for kiddo.

Dave

Quote:
Hey Vince, why was the American Express and Discover card turned down by the vendors in ports? I only have those two cards.
Please do a cruise review on the Singles section so we singles can read it.

Hey Diver guy, I think that the VTG Europe cruise will be a simple cruise of England, Italy, France and Spain. I don't think it will include Africa or Asia. So go ahead with your personal plans. Angelgal
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Familiar Face

Divemaster, Princess has a great cruise out of Rome going to Naples, Turkey, Greece and 2 days in Egypt.
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Angelgal,

I will write something up but probably not a full review because I really don't do that anymore but I will write something later when I am back in my hotel, using Wifi at a Panera right now. Let me say this, no the Vendors will not take American Express or Discover for the most part so if I were you I would see about getting at least one Visa or MC before going to Europe. You can use your Amer Express or Discov on the ship for your onboard credit. Remember before you go no matter what card you use, call them and let them know you are going to be in Europe so they don't lock your card or cards out.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yeoman

Hi Vince, you don't have to do a full cruise review of the ports or ship because that is easy to read from the regular cruise writers.

I am more interested in reading about your personal experience on the cruise as a single person or if you went with a friend. I like to read personal type cruise stories. I think they are more interesting.

Well.... I guess I better revise my Mastercard and get a new one for when I go to Europe. I am not in the habit of using credit cards in ports but you never know when I will need to use one.

You are so right about letting all of my credit card companies know I am going to Europe. I have to remember to do that each time I cruise. Angel gal.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks, will look into. HAL has somthing leaving Athens, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToCruise
Divemaster, Princess has a great cruise out of Rome going to Naples, Turkey, Greece and 2 days in Egypt.
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Yeoman

Remember! We LOVE to hear ship reviews from passengers...and especially single passengers here on this message board.

Pat Hagan
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Default Star Princess

Thanks again. Very interesting - VTG shows the Star Princess running the cruise over Kiddo's Thanksgiving break with a majority of the days in my custody interval.

Hmm...potential to see the remains of 3 of the 7 ancient wonders, 1 of the modern wonders, and 2 modern wonder runner ups; sail 1 sea, and visit 3 continents. All on a familiar line kiddo has cruised before.

Anyone with tips on travel in the Rome, New Rome and Alexandria triangle? Any particular security or safety issues?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToCruise
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Yeoman

Hi Diver guy, this is the advise I am always given by friends, "Watch out for the Gypsy Kids who surround you and take your money'. I never saw any Gypsies in Europe but they could be there.
Watch out when someone spills a drink on you as you are walking and they take your wallet.
Watch out when someone tries to take your backpack. That actually happened in to a gal that was on our group tour but she was a big gal and fought back and kept her backpack.

The worst thing I ever saw was a Japanese man from Japan had arrived at the hotel in Paris and was sitting in the lobby when a young man was showing him some cards to sell him. The man had put his carry on bag behind his back but when he leaned over to see the cards the thief stole his bag that had all his money in it. He was carrying lots of cash.
It all happened in a few minutes and I was sitting close by.

I did notice young men trying to sell small items on the TUBE transportation in London. I also noticed that the prosperous men would just say no to buying the cards but would give the young men money to send them on their way.

In Venice I dropped a $10. bill in a food store and the owner saw it and gave it to me as I was leaving with a wrapped sandwich. This is a positive story.

Some people say that tourists should not wear gold chains because thiefs on bikes drive by and grab the chain and take off.

Does anybody else have a story to tell?
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rome is know to be one of the worst places and I know several people who have been pickpocketed there. Of course I will be heading there next spring so I need to get ready. If you are in a car there, NEVER leave anything of value sitting on the seat because people on bikes or scooters will ride by and reach in and grab and they are gone. This happened to a women friend of mine. As Angelgal said, watch the kids they crafty. Don't underestimate old women, a very good friend of mine who travels everywhere said an old lady got his wallet out of this front pocket before he knew what happened but he caught her and got it back by grabbing her arm firmly and pulling her back. As mentioned even in the Baltic you need to watch, especially the Museums in Russia. A guy on my ship had his passports and wallet taken in a Museum in Russia. He had a very hard time getting back to the ship because the Russian officials claimed they lost the copy of his Passport that he gave them. I had yet another copy of mine and everything else importanted locked in the safe on the ship. I take lots of pictures and was warned by our guide in Russia to really be careful because they get you while you are concentrating on pictures. In Copenhagen there were even signs warning of Pickpocketers in the areas where you get the Riverboat tours (anyplace crowded).
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Familiar Face

Everything being said can also be said about any major city in the US - New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and even small-town USA. Crime happens. Just remember to pack some common sense and don't wear a "victim" sign across your forehead. Just cause you're on vacation doesn't mean you can let your guard down. But Divemaster is a seasoned traveler, so I'm sure he's aware of what might occur but might want to know if there's any potential terrorist or major crime-ring activity in that area. From reading the excursions, it seems that in Egypt the buses travel in a convoy with an armed guard. Friends I know that have recently gone to the Mediterranean and Egypt said there was never any trouble. And Kuki's review not long ago didn't mention any kind of trouble. When I go on the Princess Aegean/Egypt cruise next year, I plan to do only ship excursions (which is no guarantee that crime won't occur). I'm sure I'll meet other people on the ship that will be doing the same excursions and I can tag along with some of them. My only concern will be my post-Rome stay where I'll be on my own and don't know the language or the money.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeoman

Ditto on everything said about the dangers of shoplifting in Rome. On my last visit there we were told to beware of "gypsies."

One woman in our group had a backpack and she never felt a thing when the straps were being sliced and by the time she realized it was gone, the robbers had disappeared in the crowd. But, hey, the crime isn't all in Rome. In a local grocery store last week I was about to drop a $20 bill in my purse but a gust of wind caught it, blew it to the floor, and before I could pick it up a grown man snatched it and ran right out the door!

Also, summer is miserably hot in Rome. Also Florence. I felt like my feet were melting right down into those beautiful old cobble stones.

But I love Italy, anyway, and leap at a chance to go there!

Pat Hagan
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

Rome takes American money because I used American money for the taxi's. I would just have the hotel front desk workers tell the taxi driver where to take me and what it would cost me. I went to the Vatican to take a painting I had done for the Pope John Paul II. It was in 1996. It was early in the morning and hardly anybody was there as I have seen on the t.v. news. Since I speak a little Italian I was able to speak to the guards in Italian and I was allowed to go up to the Pope's Apt. When I got there I was greeted by American Priests. They told me the Pope was ill that day. So they gave my painting to him and I went shopping in their small religious store and bought some things. I then asked a taxi driver to take me to my hotel.
It was really funny because the taxi driver drove around the town and hills so it was a very interesting sight seeing tour of Rome. I knew he was taking me for "a ride" like they say in L.A. when a taxi con artist is driving around to make extra money. When I finally arrived back to the hotel I got out real fast and just gave him my money with a tip and ran into the hotel lobby. The taxi driver ran after me but the Italian hotel workers stopped him and told him I had given him the right amount of money. They argued for a while and then he left.

I did receive a letter from the Pope thanking me, blessing me, and saying that I was in his prayers. The painting is of Blessed Mother holding baby Jesus. The Vatican plans to display all of his paintings someday for the public to view.

Carry antibiotic meds because you never know if you will catch a germ from someone in your group. A young girl got on the tour bus with a strep throat infection and she passed it on to several of us. I ended up with a super high fever and had to see a doctor in Florence. Some people got ill with colds.... so take preventive meds. Angel gal/Luci
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Default Antibiotics

Good advice. As allergic reactions to drugs run in the family, it pays us especially to bring a supply with us of what we know to be (currently) safe.

Quote:
Carry antibiotic meds because you never know if you will catch a germ from someone in your group. A young girl got on the tour bus with a strep throat infection and she passed it on to several of us. I ended up with a super high fever and had to see a doctor in Florence. Some people got ill with colds.... so take preventive meds. Angel gal/Luci
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

One time I was in a caribbean resort and one day all of a sudden I felt ill with a cold. I had packed just one super cold tablet and I took it and it took the cold away. "WHEW". I remember packing my meds when I saw the cold tablet I said to myself, "why not".... and I packed it with my meds. Lucky I packed it.
I do regret not having packed some antibiotics for my European trip. I am now in the habit of packing antibiotics everywhere I go. Angelgal