Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Seattle to Alaska August 4, 2007

Any other solo cruisers going on this trip? Not looking to share a cabin or for romance, just a dining companion and to meet new people. I booked this cruise and am now a bit worried that meeting others will be hard because of the freestyle dining.

Jolynn
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Yeoman

Hi, I have cruised on the NCL Star two times and I plan to cruise solo again in Sept. 23rd.

DON'T WORRY.....All you have to do for breakfast, lunch and dinner is to ask to sit with a large group of people. Just say.... I am willing to share a table. Sometimes they will sit you alone and you will be the first at a table and then they will bring other people to your table right away.
I always do that in all ships.

When I decide to eat at the buffet.... I look around to join a couple who look like they are the only ones at the table so I ask if I can join them. Most of the time they say okay unless they are saving the table for some friends to join them. But if they are in the middle of their meal you can almost guess that they are alone.

Here is another great idea for eating at the buffet. Look for a table that is located against a long wall of a lounge seats. You will be able to have your own small table and still be close enough to carry a conversation with other cruisers sitting on your right and on your left.
The NCL ships have that type of seating at their buffet area.

I always say I don't want to eat alone and I always get seated with others. In fact they totally like that you are willing to share a table.
As a Solo cruiser you may get seated first if you are standing in a long line of people who are cruising together and need a large group table.
They have to wait until a large table is available. I just walk up and tell the matre di that I am alone and then I go back in line. He/she will come and get me to go into the restaurant. You have to be "Cheeky", like the British say.. I never try to get in front of other people it is just that when I get behind a large group of cruisers I say I am alone.

You are going to love your cabin and your cruise. You must participate in the Murder Mystery game. You will get to make some great friends when you play the game. At least I did. I loved playing the game. They do it over dinner time with 8 persons playing the game.

You must go eat at the Blue Lagoon Cafe that has great comfort foods like Buffalo wings, Asian stir fry, won-ton soup, Chili, hamburgers, etc.
The fish and chips is fantastic. It looks like a nothing little place located near their shopping store. Don't pass it up because you will miss out.

Play trivia, attend the lectures, etc. and you will have a great time.
The ship is the most beautiful ship I have seen. You will be really impressesd with the beauty of the ship.
The best surprise is in your cabin..... and that is they have the most beautiful bathrooms/washrooms/ the loo.. you have ever seen on any ship. Americans call it the bathroom but other countries call it the other names. The bedding is super nice and soft. They have a tea maker in your cabin too. I have never used it but I plan to use it next time so I can tell people how it works. Have lots of fun. Angelgal/Luci
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your advice. You have certainly put my mind at ease. The butterflies are gone and I'm back to being nothing but excited about my trip. I'm sure I'll get along just fine.
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Yeoman

I'm glad I was helpful to you.
LUCY