Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cabin info needed on NCL Pride of America

Anybody ever had a category BG balcony? What are the balconies like -- covered; totally private; small/large. And what's all that empty space on Deck 7 near the rear -- is it a laundry room or something noisy and smelly?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

Hi, you need to get the brochure to know what is what on each level. As far as empty space is concerned...you will find out when you get on the ship. Most cruise-lines agents don't really know much about everything on a ship. If you really want to know about something on a specific ship you need to talk to your cruise agent. Your cruise agent will then try to find the answer for you.

I have cruised on NCL Ships 5 times already. I never used to pay attention to the catagories of balconies. I can tell you that I did book a balcony up on the Lido Deck of the NCL Star ship when I cruised to Hawaii. The cabins are small with a small sofa & t.v. near the small balcony mid-ship. I have noticed that the cabins on the NCL'S are smaller than other cruise-line ships.
This is what I have learned about balconies on all cruise-lines. The balconies on the rear of the ships are very popular but when I have interviewed cruisers about their AFT Balconies they tell me it is very noisy due to the engine making sounds. But I have heard there are some balconies that are larger because they wrap around the ship. So some cruisers have discovered that and I have seen a wrap around balcony on the rear of a ship.
The foreward balconies have more movement from the ship going up and down and hitting the waves.
Personally, I would never want to book a balcony on a AFT OR Forward because if the ship hits choppy waves those areas get a lot of movement.
It will be like riding on a see-saw the whole time. It isn't any fun to be going up and down day and night.

I prefer mid-ship cabins. The lower they are the less movement I feel from the ship.
I personally think the NCL Cabins are really small if you book an insider.
But the window and balcony cabins are larger. But that also depends on the catagory.
I have not answered your question because I think only a NCL agent can maybe answer your question.
But I have given helpful information to other cruisers who will be reading this topic. Sorry, Angel gal/Luci
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Familiar Face

Angelgal, you're always helpful. And just the fact that you took time out of your day to respond is appreciated. I can't seem to find much info on the boards about PoAm except negative reviews (I still can't believe somebody was upset about the ship running out of bananas. What the heck do bananas have to do with enjoying your cruise.) But no pics of the cabins like there are for other ships. I spoke to an NCL agent and you're right, she didn't know much about what's on the ship. The cabins are extremely small, that's why I went with a balcony -- hoping to feel like there's more space. But for this cruise I've decided it won't matter much about the cabin, or the balcony, or long lines, or lack of pampering (or any of the other negative comments I've read). This time, it's all about the ports. It's Hawaii so how bad can it be. This ship is just a means to an end -- to see the islands without all the extra sea days. I'll leave the pampering and full cruise experience to the other lines and cruises I'll take.
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Yeoman

Hi, I went to look at the vtg website to look at the P. America and it is a beautiful ship inside. You can see where the BG Catagories cabins are located. Ship was built 2004 which means it is still new.

Here is the MAJOR FLAW OF NCL Ships that have "American" crew workers. This is very factual..... Because they are American workers.... your cabin steward can jump ship any time they want on one of the islands if they get angry or too tired to work. That means that your cabin may not get cleaned every day.
Americans are not used to working more than 8hours per day.

But, recently NCL Managers are starting to hire the GREEN CARD permanent resident workers who are happy to have jobs on the cruise ships. They say that most of the crew comes from the Dominica Republic.
So if you see them on the ship you will get better service.

If you are willing to put up with poor service then you will have a great time. Cruising with NCL Hawaii cruises can be hit or miss.
Best time to cruise would be in the Fall and Winter when most of the families are not cruising. Cruise prices go down too.

Stay away from the OLD NCL SUN SHIP because that ship has many mechanical/electrical problems, lousy food, etc.

The Hawaii Honolulu cruise port is the worst cruise port to board the ship because it is hot and humid if you arrive during a congestion time of cruisers trying to board the ship. I have been there twice and I have learned to just be patient and wait for the long lines to move.
The main problem is that the Embarkation ROOM IS TOO SMALL so that is why it becomes a problem. Since I am a Latitudes member I was able to go into a super short line to do the paper work to embark the ship.

My advise is to go ahead with a positive attitude and roll with what ever goes wrong on the ship like the lack of bananas..
NCL ships in Hawaii have wonderful fruits every day. They even have a special fruit STATION where you can get all the fruit you want at the buffet.

As long as the balcony cabin is not obstructed.... you will be fine.
I prefer the Portside cabins because I like to see people leaving the ship and I can see what FREE BUSES are there to take us somewhere for free.

One morning there was a great movie on t.v. and my grandson and I decided to watch the movie until it was over. We could see the cruisers coming and going portside. There was no line when we walked off the ship. We took a free bus to Hilo Hattie and right across was a Wal-Mart. Then we just took a free shuttle bus back to the port.
We had a wonderful time.
I am sure you will have a wonderful time too. Luci
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Borntocruise, what Angel said is right on the money. Sailed on the Pride of Hawaii this past February. The worst service I have ever experienced on my 17 cruises, no pampering by the cruise staff, lousy service in the dining areas but it did not ruin my cruise because we were hardly on the ship and spent so much time on the islands. Price was really good and would do it again. Think of the ship as your floating hotel. I even booked an inside cabin which I never do but it just served as a place to sleep. Met up with some of the entertainment staff ( dancers in the shows) and they were very nice. As Angel mentioned, a lot of the service issues have to do with the all American staff but again a very economical way to see the islands. Bob
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yeoman

I am a big time cruiser like BOB is and I hardly ever ask much of the crew workers on any ship because I know they work hard for us cruisers.

Years ago, I remember there was a ship named the Constitution that cruised in Hawaii... that only hired Americans. I remember hearing stories about how the American workers would make it ugly for the cruisers when they would complain about all the work they had to do.
That ship went bankrupt all of a sudden sometime in the 90's.

When I heard that NCL was going to hire only Americans and have their ships registered in America.... I knew that they were heading for a disaster with the American workers.
Their first ship was the Pride of Aloha. They took a 3day sample cruise first and the American workers chose to jump ship. NCL said the crew needed to rest for a week. The truth was that they had to hussell to find more crew workers.

Presently, I think it is a hit or miss cruise will all of their Hawaii ships. Some people come home and say they had a great time and others come home and complain royally.

I was lucky to have cruised Hawaii on the NCL Star which is not a American registered ship. Their employees are fantastic because they are foreign born workers. They aim to please. They also have some real Hawaiian-American workers that are happy to be there working.

The Princess ships that leave out of Los Angeles for 14 days cruising to the Hawaiian Islands isn't any better because it is super cold outside on deck as the ship is cruising towards & back from Hawaii.
My cousin took that cruise this past April and he said most of the cruisers were seniors in their golden years like 90's. He said it got boring at times.

If a relative or close friend invited me to cruise with them on the Pride of America ship I would go because it does look like a beautiful ship. Since I don't ask much from the crew workers it would be okay with me. I know how to be self sufficent. They always have wonderful food at the buffet. They have the best bread pudding ever with custard sauce. Most of the deserts are better than on other cruiselines. They have lots of juicy fresh pineapples and papayas, and mangos...yum.
NCL ships have the Murder Mystery game that I love to play that game.
NCL also has the Blue Lagoon Coffee shop that has the best ever buffalo wings, Asian stir fry, chili, fish and chips and other American comfort foods.
NCL has the best Chocolate buffet than other cruiselines.

If I sound like I am advertising for NCL..... it is because eventhough they may have some lousy managers.... I still love NCL cruiseline....
In fact I can hardly wait until Sept.23rd when I will be cruising on the NCL Star for the 3rd time and it will be my 6th cruise with NCL.

If you look at the positive things about NCL Ships you will have a wonderful time because the HAWAIIAN PORTS are more important to most cruisers. A lot of people come home saying they had a wonderful time in Hawaii.
Have a great time in Hawaii! Angel gal
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Angel and Bob. It's great to have some positive reinforcement for a change instead of all the negative reports. Like Angel said, go with an open mind. Now, any suggestions on a nice affordable hotel for both pre- and post-cruise stay? Pre-cruise can be a 2star cause it's only for convenience, but I want the post-cruise a little upscale and on the beach (or really close).
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Yeoman

The best cheapy and expensive hotels are in Waikiki Beach. There are two main streets lined with hotels and restaurants. Kuhio Blvd. is just one block away from the beach and Kalakaua Blvd is located on the Beach.

Moderate rate of $140. Ala Moana Hotel, 4 star is located really close to the ALOHA TOWER which is the CRUISE PORT. It is also located next door to the largest SHOPPING MALL with a FOOD COURT. On your precruise night you can stay there or near there. The Hilton hotel is also close to the CRUISE PORT which is more expensive.

WHERE TO STAY...Post cruise..... There are two main streets in Waikiki beach.... the Kuhio Ave. and Kalakaua Ave. Choose one of those streets for a hotel. It doesn't really matter what part of Waikiki beach area you stay at because you can walk from one end to the other end or just take a local bus back to your hotel.

I suggest you do your hotel search for those two streets for your hotel search. There are many hotels to choose from.... there are many rates to choose from. Remember.... most of these hotels have been there for many years.... so try to choose a hotel that has been renovated and try to be happy if the rooms are too small for you. The rooms were built for small Asians not for us large Americans. This is a reality of most hotel rooms.. Japan owns most of the hotels. Do your search!!!

I have been to Hawaii many times and know the whole area.

LOCAL BUS - can take you to all the sights. I once took a local bus that went around the WHOLE ISLAND and I saw the pineapple plantations, coffee bean plantations, the famous North Shore, the edge of Diamond Head, Ala Moana Shopping Mall, etc. It only cost me $1.50 FOR THE WHOLE TOUR by local bus. They also have senior discounts..

LUAS - You can buy a ticket from your hotel. They are mostly cattle runs with hundreds of tour buses unless you pay top dollar for a Lua sp from an expensive hotel. ALOHA! Angelgal/Luci
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you a million times, Angelgal. That was exactly the info I needed. I was thinking about the Ala Moana because it was on the list from last year's Bar convention. I was also wondering where exactly the port is in relation to the the hotels. And, I wanted Luau information. Don't laugh, but I'm actually going to do the touristy thing and go to a Luau. It's tradition -- like going to the Statue of Liberty in New York or Eiffel Tower in Paris or Alcatraz in San Francisco -- it's all about being a tourist and the first trip there. You've been a TREMENDOUS help as usual!!!
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Yeoman

They say the Ala Moana Hotel is considered the tallest hotel and it has also been renovated. I am glad you like that choice.

Make sure you can make reservations in advance for the Luau and the Pearl Harbor tour. You can most likely check it out when you arrive in Honolulu and have it all pre planned so when you disembark the ship you can attend the Luau the first night and the Pearl Harbor tour early the next morning. Then go shopping at the ABC STORE..
You can also go to the International Market Place located on Kuhio Blvd. It is an open air FLEA MARKET. They have many things you can buy there that are inexpensive. Please bring me back a blue and yellow flowered purse/bag made out of a thin cloth material. Just kidding. Luci