Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Yeoman

Default Who misses their pets when you go traveling?

My Jack Russell terrier/terrior knows two important words, "Palm Springs". The minute she hears me say "Palm Springs" she starts packing her doggie suitcase.. We have stayed at the Hilton Hotel in January when the weather is nice. My doggie Winnie the Pooh didn't like that hotel. She prefers the Motel 6 because I can take her for walks right outside the door. She is very quiet in hotels and loves to go for car rides.
She will stay in the car while I go shopping. She becomes a guard dog and barks at anybody who gets near my car. I love my dog.

When I am getting ready to go cruising she gets depressed. The minute I start packing her bags she gets real happy because she loves her dog sitter. She loves him more than she love me.. She loves guys.
It makes me happy to leave her with him because I know that she is also on a vacation too.
Whenever I am on cruise ships I meet other cruisers who also miss their pets at home. They tell me they don't take long cruises because they would miss their pets too much.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could take our dogs with us on cruise ships?
The ships could create a Doggie Sitter area where the dogs could play and eat with eachother during the day. At night time we could pick them up and take them to our cabin. We could put wee-wee pads in the bathroom for them. In the morning we could take them to an area of the ship where they could do their business and clean it up. Each deck could have a area like that for our dogs. I could cruise forever!.
IT IS JUST A FANTASY THAT SOMEDAY MAY BECOME A REALITY!!

Do you have pets? Angelgal/Luci
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Who misses their pets when you go traveling?

Actually, the Titanic had a kennel as I recall from the large LA Maritime Museum model down in San Pedro. Of all the pets lost I do recall the Astor's dog "Kitty." Alas, being allergic to dogs and cats, I'd have to bring a parrot. 8)

"The Norwegian Blue prefers kipping on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, eh, major? Beautiful plumage!" -- MONTY PYTHON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Wouldn't it be nice if we could take our dogs with us on cruise ships?...IT IS JUST A FANTASY THAT SOMEDAY MAY BECOME A REALITY!! Angelgal/Luci
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Passenger

Queen Mary 2 does have a kennel onboard.

http://www.cunard.com/AboutCunard/Ne...ontentID=5547&
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Yeoman

Paul, "WOW", Thank you for this information. I can see it in my mind because the ship most likely has a large room with cement floors instead of carpet that can be washed.
I read the info and I found out that they have spaces for 12 pets either cats or dogs. They have a full-time worker to take care of them. They also have a walking space inside and outside where the owners can spend all the time they want with their pets.
They only carry the pets on their cruises that go back and forth the Atlantic.
Hey, this is a beginning for us pet lovers. It needs to go one step further and that is maybe a deck for just the cruisers with their pets near the Kennel where they can drop off or pick up their beds for the night or day to spend some time in their cabins.
I think that will be possible in my future. Hotels like the Hiltons allow dogs so why not ships..... Luci
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I missed my two boys, Persian cats, when I went away in January. I did take a picture of each of them and had the pics where I could see them. My pet sitter told me the boys didn't miss me at all. My one boy, Rio, did probably miss me because judging by how fast he came racing around the corner into the kitchen, he was glad to see me.

I do like cats and dogs, but cats are easier to care for. If I could bring my boys with me I would. All I would need is a litterbox. Rio is superfriednly, so he could wander around the ship greeting everyone and anyone....
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yeoman

I think cats are easier to take care of because they don't bark. But they are Houdini's because they can find places to hide in. It would be easy to have your boys on the ship as long as they stay in the cabin. Cats are high jumpers and they know how to run and hide if they get loose.
I guess your boys would need to learn to be on a harness which is too late for them because they have most likely never have been harnessed. Luci
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Yeoman

Yes, yes, yes I miss my wire-hair fox terrier when I travel. She would be wonderful on a cruise...and well-behaved. Recently on a cruise I observed a little boy of perhaps 4 or 5 years old (old enough to know better) having fun on the open part of the Lido deck by running back and forth to the stacks of clean dishes in the buffet line and then running to the railing to throw them overboard! Of course, security finally stopped him. The parents were nowhere around. Anyway, my point is: I can't imagine my little dog doing something like that, yet they let kids cruise, right?

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Admiral

I too miss my kitty cat when I cruise. My brother watches him and is glad for the visit as he enjoys animals. But I know my cat prefers to be at home. If they allowed cats on a ship I would bring him along. Actually it would be flying him on an airplane that I would worry more about then him being on a ship. I have considered taking a cruise on the Queen Mary to England. That would be awesome to have him along, but I'd much rather him be in my cabin, it's the cabin stewarts (secret ninjas) who would scare him. I call them secret ninjas cause that's how a comedian described them, because they know when your out of your cabin and suddenly appear to clean it. As for destructive children I think the parents should be held accountable, and should have been charged for the lost dishes this would make them keep an eye on their little one the next time.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Passenger

I miss my pup-pups when I'm away from home, but they don't miss me too much. My sitter is an animal trainer, so she keeps them busy running, jumping, fetching, etc when they're at her house. The only part they aren't crazyabout is the bath she gives them right before I come home.

They do NOT react well when I start packing to go somewhere. I can't move the suitcases at all without them getting pretty clingy.