Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default Senior Singles

I usually travel alone. All alone. Most women (and men) that I have met on cruises have been traveling with friends or relatives.

I meet compatible people but it takes TIME and that is of the essence.

The singles parties that are usually held on ship bring out younger singles. Do most people think two singles get togethers would be a good idea with a break-off of say - 20's - 40's and 40's and up??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Senior Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan13
I usually travel alone. All alone. Most women (and men) that I have met on cruises have been traveling with friends or relatives.

I meet compatible people but it takes TIME and that is of the essence.

The singles parties that are usually held on ship bring out younger singles. Do most people think two singles get togethers would be a good idea with a break-off of say - 20's - 40's and 40's and up??
I cruise Carnival and solo. A break off of ages would be a horrible idea because I am not particularly interested in meeting people my age or older (48). Most people are not cruising to hang with the "older and settled" group but want to meet the fun group which would include all ages especially the younger ones. I know that I am more energetic than most my age and still like to do the fun "young" stuff. In all of my cruises, I have never attended a single get together held by the ship. Not high on my agenda for a cruise.

Perhaps you could find single group cruises specifically for the age group you want to socialize with or target the cruiselines that cater to a slightly older set like HAL or Princess, etc.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

I am very energetic myself and although some "older" people may not be we cannot be categorized as dottering seniors. The idea in having two sets of groups (singles, especially) is to give we "oldsters" a chance to meet people our age who may otherwise opt out of the singles parties!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan13
I am very energetic myself and although some "older" people may not be we cannot be categorized as dottering seniors. The idea in having two sets of groups (singles, especially) is to give we "oldsters" a chance to meet people our age who may otherwise opt out of the singles parties!
Then it would depend on the cruiseline. Carnival attracts younger passengers and the young at heart. Holland attracts slightly older passengers.

I am only knowledgeable able Carnival and I would wager that any single more mature passengers on Carnival are either trying to be with the younger set or not looking for their age peers to hang out with for many reasons.

If it is companionship of the opposite gender that you seek, that is a whole other situation. Many mature women are very aggressive in letting their interest in a man be known and seeking male companionship. On the other hand, mature men are not always interested in that aspect of a friendship. Hence therein lies the problem. A mature man that is not interested in starting a relationship on his vacation would probably not go anywhere near a older singles get together. No way, no how. If I was a single more mature (senior?) gentleman, I would not go near it.

On one of my last cruises I enjoyed one of the solo performers in the lounge with a woman a bit older than me. She was in her early/mid 60's. The performer was a very handsome distinguished looking man also in his 60's. Her behavior at the end of the show was embarassing. She openly invited him (several times) to join her for a drink "and other things" (her words). She just drooled and hovered over him for the rest of the evening. He couldn't get away from her. She reminded me of a dog in heat to be honest.

Probably not your intentions but when you say "Senior Singles Get Together", people (men?) envision a Senior's Lonely Hearts Women's Club and run for the hills.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Joan, I have had the experience of cruising with vacationstogo.com singles and they DO HAVE AN ACTIVITY PLANNED for the under 40 age group and one for the 40 on up age group. The first time I attended that activity..... I had the best time ever with my age group. We all acted like kids in playing a card game...... The fun was when some people were cheating in the card game.... and we were all laughing and laughing at the people getting caught cheating. I laughed soooo much.

On another VTG SINGLES cruise I couldn'd find the older group but I found the younger group and hung out with them. I ended up hanging out with a really cute handsome guy in his 30's for the evening. I am 55+. You can choose any group you want for that one game. But usually we all hang out together. Luci
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Pat Hagan Singles Editor's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 553
Default

The best thing to do is go to the first get-acquainted party and try to spot your age group and make contact with them. Then if there is not a specific party for your "mature" group, i.e. seniors, then arrange your own. I am very big on organizing, and it does not bother me if I have never met the people before. That's what your cruise is all about--meeting people and having fun, and, whatever it takes, do it. A cruise is no place to be shy.

As for someone mentioning the "60ish" woman who made a fool of herself, well, believe me, I've seen plenty of solo cruisers of all ages doing the same thing. Don't take it personal and never label anyone. Just chill out and do what you came to do...HAVE FUN!

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates' Singles Editor
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hi Cruiser gal, yes there are some gals who can't control their need for a man. They do act really foolish. I once saw an older gal swooning over her Latino cabin steward who was totally ignoring her. She was in heat.. Wolff, wolff... I thought she was strange.

Another time there was this young handsome guy who had fun bedding three gals. Then on the last few days he met up with a gal who he spent the rest of the time with her. The funny part is that everybody in the singles group knew the names of the gals he had spent time with and the final gal also knew who those gals were too. That guy had four flings. He did good. I know for a fact that there are some young cruisers who go on cruise ships just to get laid. Those cruisers like the idea that they will never see those people again. BUT......when we cruisers see them again we all know who those people are and the jig is up. Luci
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
As for someone mentioning the "60ish" woman who made a fool of herself, well, believe me, I've seen plenty of solo cruisers of all ages doing the same thing. Don't take it personal and never label anyone. Just chill out and do what you came to do...HAVE FUN!

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates' Singles Editor
Sorry Pat but you were not there to see it in living color. I didn't label her. I described her behavior. She was way over the top, pushing the other passengers out of the way, trying to get to the front of the crowd that surrounded this singer as he attempted to sell CDs after the show. She kept interrupting the singer when he tried to talk to another passenger. It was pathetic to watch.

I have been single most of my life so I know the flirting, mating game and most of its nuances. What I witnessed was none of that. I was mortified because I was with her that evening and could only try to fade into the background when grandma when to work.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Cruiser gal, yes there are some gals who can't control their need for a man. They do act really foolish. I once saw an older gal swooning over her Latino cabin steward who was totally ignoring her. She was in heat.. Wolff, wolff... I thought she was strange.

Another time there was this young handsome guy who had fun bedding three gals. Then on the last few days he met up with a gal who he spent the rest of the time with her. The funny part is that everybody in the singles group knew the names of the gals he had spent time with and the final gal also knew who those gals were too. That guy had four flings. He did good. I know for a fact that there are some young cruisers who go on cruise ships just to get laid. Those cruisers like the idea that they will never see those people again. BUT......when we cruisers see them again we all know who those people are and the jig is up. Luci
Hahahaha. I know all about that aspect of cruising also but most times it is a two way street.

It is not to say that the older women are any more aggressive than the younger ones but it just looks odd to see someone that age so, so, so hungry for . . . . whatever it is they are after. In young women you can call it being immortal, promiscuous, charged up. In a senior woman it is just plain pathetic. The same with men - equal opportunity. To see a senior man chasing after a woman like a lost puppy is actually sort of stomach churning.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Wow - never was my intent to start a steamed up session. I am not one who goes cruising to mate, get laid or anything of that nature. I do, however, love to dance and since I'm not interested in hip-hop - I made the suggestion of separate groups.

A THOUSAND PARDONS!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan13
Wow - never was my intent to start a steamed up session. I am not one who goes cruising to mate, get laid or anything of that nature. I do, however, love to dance and since I'm not interested in hip-hop - I made the suggestion of separate groups.

A THOUSAND PARDONS!!!!!
No, no, no. We are laughing as we type. Don't pardon yourself.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Happy cruzin' and good luck!!!
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Joan, you really didn't start anything. Some of us singles here on this message board are big time cruisers with years of experience so it is fun to talk about our personal experiences.
Sometimes a topic can totally change to some other topic. I am guilty of doing that sometimes.

Yes, Joan the majority of singles are super nice and behave nicely. But it is the talk of the cruise when someone acts strange or wild. We all get to know who is acting bad, who is putting out, who is chasing who, who is a millionaire , who is a super dork, who is a weirdo, who is most popular, who is the beauty queen, who is mean and nasty, and who has done something out of the ordinary... like dancing on a table top after dinner. JUST LIKE HIGH SCHOOL!.

Yes, Pat, some of us do get labeled and all we can do is "CHILL OUT".. I once went to a party and a jealous gal said I was "Socialably Needy". I love that label because if someone says something mean to me I just use those words..
I am just expressing my own personal experiences on cruises and the way I am in life. I try to stay positive but it is so funny to watch cruisers making fools of themselves. I love to watch people. Luci
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Yes, Pat, some of us do get labeled and all we can do is "CHILL OUT".. I once went to a party and a jealous gal said I was "Socialably Needy". I love that label because if someone says something mean to me I just use those words.. Luci
Why in the world did she say you were sociably needy? You seem to be an extra extrovert in my opinion. Hahahahahaha

What does sociably needy mean anyway.

Yes, every cruise comes with its share of stories. That is what makes it fun. I won't see most of those people ever again so they (like me) are free to being the biggest butt-heads in the world for the length of the cruise and no harm is ever done.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

I'm somewhat of a different type of cruiser - I use it as a means of comfortable transport more than anything. I don't fly anymore (coward - with my bad experiences under my belt). I retired early and now have the luxury of crusing over and back. I do a back-pack type thing while in Europe and show myself around. I meet a lot of people on the cruises as well as in country and I love it!

Glad to hear the input from you guys!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Joan, please tell us more how you cruised to Europe and back?
I would like to do that next year.

I get bored flying all those hours to Europe. I would rather cruise to Europe and cruise back.

I have a friend who is afraid of flying so she flew back from Europe and ended up in Washington D.C. and then took the train home to Los Angeles because she couldn't take it anymore of the flying experience.

I am not afraid of flying at all. I just don't like getting bored and having my feet puff up with water retention.

Hey Cruiser gal, the woman who said I was sociably needy is super jealous of me because I have an entertainers personality and I was the life of the party. I was having fun dancing and singing. But the gal complained about me to my so-called friend who brought it to my attention. I nolonger associate with those jealous women. It is hard to be around critical people. It is best to just let go of them.
I am a verbal warrior which means I know how to fight with words but most of the time I choose to just move on to new friends. The world is filled with possibilites of making new compatiable friends.

I have wonderful memories of people I have met on cruise ships who were super friendly and accepting of me and my personality. Luci
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Well - it takes time. The first time I did it I took a re-positioning cruise to Portugal - toured around Spain, France, Germany and back to Portugal and caught a freighter home to the US.

The next time I took the Queen Mary II over, toured around through France and Italy and took Holland America back from Italy to NY.

This year I'm taking the Queen Mary II over, going to do England and Scotland and coming back on Celebrity.

The cruise lines don't make it easy - one has to be creative, use a freighter or count on spending quite a bit of time in Europe - but - I love running around. It's just that the exchange rate of the dollar makes it hard!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

What is it like sailing on a freighter?
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Joan, "WOW"!!! I am truly impressed by you especially taking a freighter ship. My male cousin has cruised on a freighter for a month. He said the cook would make special American meals for him. I didn't pay much attention to his info on freighter cruising because it never dawned on me that I would ever cruise on one.

Did you like your cabin and your food? What did you do with your time on the freighter ship? Luci
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

The freighter I was on was new to the passenger scheme and as I understand from talking to other passengers who were on the ship and experienced "freighterers" it was not up to par with other lines. I was on CGM-CMA Lines. It is French owned and had a Romanian crew. There were no special American meals but the food was good. It was kind of a riot that there were menus in English and French and at times we passengers couldn't make out the listings despite the fact that there were native speakers in both languages aboard.

There was not a lot to do on board. We did sit on deck and read initially but then it got too cold. There was a radio in the huge cabin (bathroom was huge - almost the size of a half of a cabin on a cruise ship). There was a tv in a passenger lounge and DVD movies available for sign out. There was a swimming pool but due to the weather - not in use. I did play table tennis in the crew's rec area (could use it when they were not using it) but the facility and equipment were poor at best. The cabin steward also was our waiter and he was very, very nice. Meals consisted of several courses and wine was served at lunch and supper. Oh, and there was a refrigerator and small kitchen available in the passenger lounge which I utilized since I'm a diabetic). I don't use any meds but I eat often - in very small quantities. I would save a yogurt from breakfast to eat later. All in all it was a good experience - but then again - to me it was a means of transportation. I would love to try a freighter again (different line) and have someone with me to play scrabble,etc.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Compared to a cruise, how expensive is travelling by freighter?
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Joan, thank you for the info. Let me know when you plan to go on another frieighter ship? It will just be interesting to know about it.
How many days was your frieighter cruise?
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 95
Default

Joan, I love your idea of a singles get-together for the over 40 crowd. As I age, that generation gap gets wider and wider and I find I have very little in common with the 20-30somethings of today. I love to have a good time, but the drunken rowdiness, followed by a lot of rude and/or lewd behavior, that I've observed from SOME of that set is not for me. I know not all youngsters act that way, but I've observed way too many for me to want to spend my cruise dollars and vacation time around it (which is why I avoid cruising during spring break or over children's holidays like Halloween -- those cruises are usually have a younger crowd). I'm glad to see a 60 yr old having a good time and still wanting to enjoy a lively romance. But, just like the 40 yr old that laughs and ridicules the 60 yr old for looking "pathetic", the younger set that the 40 yr old hangs with is probably laughing and ridiculing the 40 yr old the same way, and I'm sure the 60 yr old probably wonders why a woman of 80 would hold hands with a man or bother to get married at that age. It's all relative. By way of example: On one cruise, one of the women in our over 40 group was dressing and behaving like a 20something hoochie mama. Seriously. She was embarrasing. She kept throwing herself into the younger sets and draping herself all over the younger men. They let her join in. Behind her back one day at breakfast, some of us overheard a group of the men laughing about her and making bets which one would bed her first. She was a big joke to them and we felt sorry for her. I don't know who won the bet, but we knew she'd gotten "friendly" with somebody. Yes, some younger men are truly interested in older women. But those men usually gravitate toward the older crowd instead of the older woman having to seek them out in the younger crowd. But, to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

I always try to act my age and act like a lady but when it comes to dancing.... I am a dancing fool. Luci
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToCruise
Joan, I love your idea of a singles get-together for the over 40 crowd. As I age, that generation gap gets wider and wider and I find I have very little in common with the 20-30somethings of today. I love to have a good time, but the drunken rowdiness, followed by a lot of rude and/or lewd behavior, that I've observed from SOME of that set is not for me. I know not all youngsters act that way, but I've observed way too many for me to want to spend my cruise dollars and vacation time around it (which is why I avoid cruising during spring break or over children's holidays like Halloween -- those cruises are usually have a younger crowd). I'm glad to see a 60 yr old having a good time and still wanting to enjoy a lively romance. But, just like the 40 yr old that laughs and ridicules the 60 yr old for looking "pathetic", the younger set that the 40 yr old hangs with is probably laughing and ridiculing the 40 yr old the same way, and I'm sure the 60 yr old probably wonders why a woman of 80 would hold hands with a man or bother to get married at that age. It's all relative. By way of example: On one cruise, one of the women in our over 40 group was dressing and behaving like a 20something hoochie mama. Seriously. She was embarrasing. She kept throwing herself into the younger sets and draping herself all over the younger men. They let her join in. Behind her back one day at breakfast, some of us overheard a group of the men laughing about her and making bets which one would bed her first. She was a big joke to them and we felt sorry for her. I don't know who won the bet, but we knew she'd gotten "friendly" with somebody. Yes, some younger men are truly interested in older women. But those men usually gravitate toward the older crowd instead of the older woman having to seek them out in the younger crowd. But, to each his/her own.
There are always stories about the things people do on these cruises. Most of it is good harmless funny stuff. Sometimes people go overboard.

On my last cruise in the dance club. There was a woman on the dance floor just about every song. She had on a tiny little mini skirt and high high heels. Her hair was very long and fell in her face as she danced all over the floor - sometimes alone - sometimes with someone else.

Anyway, I noticed her because she never sat down. Well I finally got a good look at her. This lady must have been in her late 60's early 70's. Hahahahaha! She was up there in years and partying her happy butt off.

All I could think was GOOD FOR HER!!!! She danced them youngin's off the floor. She had really good time.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Wow - where to begin! First off the freighters cost about the same or more simply because they do not adhere to strict schedules and take a longer time getting from A to B, etc.

My freighter transatlantic was only 8 days in duration (not bad at all). They become more costly when they take longer - also - I wound up waiting in Lisbon for the freighter. Since I had a very cheap room in a "pension" in the heart of the city it wasn't a real hardship - but - it does add to the cost. Something to be considered....

As far as making a fool of oneself - that can be done at any age and everything is relative! I live near Tombstone, AZ (the "town too tough to die"). I go dancing every weekend (I LIVE to dance) and there are some weird characters but I just overlook (or chuckle about) them and dance myself silly.

I have to agree as far as not gravitating to the 20-30 set however. I find I don't have much in common with most. That's not to say there aren't exceptions but "partying hearty" is NOT WHY I CRUISE! As far as making a fool out of oneself making a play for someone of the opposite gender - it happens in all age groups and mixes - and can again be a matter of perception or jealousy. Have to judge by the individual circumstances and then again - what do I care!!!

Thanks all for the remarks and forgive the generic answer - I find this way easier.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WV
Posts: 16
Send a message via MSN to cim56 Send a message via Yahoo to cim56
Default senior single

My DW often states going on a cruises with me is often like going by herself or vice versa. However; we do everything together early in evening. She usually goes to bed early and I like to dance so I stay up. Of course I have always been with group and this allows me to fulfill desires of the evening. That plus the night "on deck parties" allows me to enjoy the cruise. I would have a problem doing a single cruise without some contact with a few before the cruise. Not enough time to feel comfortable(probably lying here). I do socailized well.

However: I know a few ladies I would love to take on cruise(this is not sexually) because I love their company, conversation, and their dancing.
Always have good time with them. Society would just frown upon us.

I am a senior not single
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Nice of you to write - DW - disabled? I'm sure that you do well as you sound personable and there are always plenty of single women wanting to talk and dance.

Hang in!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

I am glad I came across this thread.

My father will be 75 this year. I was hoping to get him on the Freedom cruise with Liz and I but he still doesn't have a passport!

He actually worked on Carnival (out of Miami or sailing from PR to Martinique) for a short time back in 1989-90 as staff musician (piano) and really enjoyed it. Even tho staff are not allowed to mix with passengers as one would like, he still managed to have a great time.

He frequents the VFW halls for the food, comradery (sp), but in particular for the ladies who wish to dance but their partner, if they have one, would not.

His latest visit to the doctors will be to discuss his sciatica but in particular a, ummmm... implant to, shall we say, augment his libido!!


75 and still rockin'. Thats my dad!

Phil & Liz
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey your 75yr old dad is still a youngster according to the older ladies. I heard them say that one day about men in their 70's.

Regarding his sexuality.... his body can't.... but his mind wants to. I wish him luck on his implant. There is a famous handsome Latino movie star in Mexico who does brag about his implant. He calls it "LA BOMBITA". He says he just pulls a string and it works for him. It is called the BOMB in English. The Spanish t.v. stations were advertising it.

When it comes to discussing sex..... I am very informed. .

Regarding the lastest news on passports is that if you have proof that you have applied for a passport you can fly to other countries with just that proof and your birth certificate. I don't know if the cruise lines have that same rule since U.S.A. doesn't rule them since they are foreign registered ships except for the NCL Ships based in Hawaii.
Why don't you ask that question to the moderators of this website. They may know the answer. The cruise ship personnel don't always know the answer to questions of any kind. Maybe your travel agent can check it out for you. Angel gal
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hey your 75yr old dad is still a youngster according to the older ladies. I heard them say that one day about men in their 70's.

Regarding his sexuality.... his body can't.... but his mind wants to. I wish him luck on his implant. There is a famous handsome Latino movie star in Mexico who does brag about his implant. He calls it "LA BOMBITA". He says he just pulls a string and it works for him. It is called the BOMB in English. The Spanish t.v. stations were advertising it.

When it comes to discussing sex..... I am very informed. .

Regarding the lastest news on passports is that if you have proof that you have applied for a passport you can fly to other countries with just that proof and your birth certificate. I don't know if the cruise lines have that same rule since U.S.A. doesn't rule them since they are foreign registered ships except for the NCL Ships based in Hawaii.
Why don't you ask that question to the moderators of this website. They may know the answer. The cruise ship personnel don't always know the answer to questions of any kind. Maybe your travel agent can check it out for you. Angel gal
! Hi,
Since at the time we were planning this cruise the old rules for passports were in effect we decided to just fly him in to Houston and have him house and pet sit for us over the cruise. We may very well bring him along on the CM Alaska in 2008.

He has house/pet sit for us for every cruise weve been on and he has lots of musician friends here to spend time with. Matter of fact, on his visit here in November he will be in the recording studio with his pals doing a music only (no vocals) record of WW2 era songs, so that will keep him busy.

On the last cruise he took many years ago he ended up coming out on stage dressed as a woman. I've seen the video !!!!

I have a video of the sailing on the Renaissance in Tahiti of a couple obviously in their late 80's just dancing all over the dance floor out on the Lido deck area. His dark hair toupe slipping and all !!!

I say let the elder folks have their fun while they can!!

Phil & Liz
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
75yr, crew, cruise, cruisers, cruises, laid, romanian, senior, single, singles, time

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alaska - August 3rd - senior F looking for senior F cabin mate roostershill Seeking Cruise Companion 3 May 28th, 2010 08:44 PM
Senior Cabinmate mystro Seeking Cruise Companion 13 December 2nd, 2008 08:29 AM
Senior Singles lovemydad Ask CruiseMates Staff 0 February 20th, 2006 10:45 PM
any senior citizen singles Lillian H Singles 0 August 11th, 2003 11:39 PM
Over 200 singles for July 4th Singles Cruisefor jul Pat Hagan, Singles Editor Singles 0 June 6th, 2002 10:53 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1