Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Baylee24's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 27
Default Formal Nights

How many formal nights are there on a halloween cruise ?? Are there any at all since it is a halloween cruise... also how formal ??? black tie, cocktail dress ??? work casual ??? I have no idea ..please help.

When do the formal nights occur ?? first night ?? last night ??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 321
Default

one formal nite if you cruise 7 days or less. And, if you cruise 13 nites or more, then it will be (at least) 3 nites...depending on the cruiseline.

Normally, the formal nite occurs full moon :-) j/k ...I think it depends on the cruiseline...check the schedule ...you should get a piece of paper in your cabin telling you when formal nite occurs.

I hope this answer your questions. enjoy and cruise well.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 69
Default

Not sure what halloween cruise you are going to be on. I'm booked with vtg out of Miami on Oct 28th. I believe there are 2 formal nights, and from what I have read (this will be my first cruise also) the formal nights are on the at sea days.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
chetter's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30
Send a message via Yahoo to chetter
Default

Greetings :

On a 7 day cruise there are 2 formal Nights and most Cruisers dress like they are "Putting On the Ritz " Men wear a Tux ot a nice Suit and the Ladies wear a Gown or a very nice dress . As you walk around the ship it is so Cool to see everyone dressed up . I m,yself wear a Tux and I recently bought Tux Tails . Darn I love to get dressd up !

Chetter
__________________
Chetter
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 321
Default

Here's an excerpt from Princess' website:

Formal Evenings:
• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies
• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

LENGTH OF CRUISE NUMBER OF FORMAL EVENINGS NUMBER OF SMART CASUAL EVENINGS
3-6 Days 1 1-5
7-13 Days 2 5-11
14-20 Days 3 11-17
21-28 Days 4 17-24
29 Days+ 5 minimum 24+

Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide. The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Pat Hagan Singles Editor's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 553
Default

If you are going on a singles cruise for Halloween you will be told by the agency how many formal nights there will be.

I also love to "dress up," but, unfortunately, not everyone does so. Especially on Carnival. I have seen people at dinner on formal night wearing jeans and tee shirts, even though the ship's newsletter firmly says that is not allowed. And what really irks me is how some people will wear their formals to dinner, then change back into shorts, etc., for the remainder of the evening.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Formal Nights

Might have up to two formals for a 7 day cruise. The level of formal depends on the line and the mood of the passengers. I go tux (with Stetson and boots when Texas formal), but many guys go suits or slacks and coat. I would think you would do fine in a cocktail dress and nice jewelery, although a few gals will do the formal gown bit. First night will not be formal (you gals have this thing about getting your hair done ) nor the last (after all that food the formal wear no longer fits )

You will do fine being a southern belle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylee24
How many formal nights are there on a halloween cruise ?? Are there any at all since it is a halloween cruise... also how formal ??? black tie, cocktail dress ??? work casual ??? I have no idea ..please help.

When do the formal nights occur ?? first night ?? last night ??
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 230
Default

As much as I enjoy formal night, I see it going the way of the chastity belt.

My favorite cruise line is HAL, and even they are loosening up the dress code, allowing jeans in the dining room on casual nights.

Every day at work I have to look at god awful employee dress, most of it on god awful bodies. For instance, women who could double as the Michelin Man wearing midriff tops and low slung pants.

Cruising is one of the few venues where dressing up is still part of the experience, but it's fast disappearing.

Shelby
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Baylee, don't pack a formal long gown because most people who wear long gowns run back to their cabins to change into comfortable jeans and tops for the rest of the evening. It is best to wear a cocktail dress that is comfortable that you can wear the whole night. I am in the habit of just wearing a evening type blouse with a black skirt so I can wear it to dinner and for dancing.

Formal night will be on the second night of the cruise and on the night before the last night of the cruise. On the last night we can wear anything we want including jeans and sportswear to dinner.
Most of the vtg singles like to wear pretty black dresses or black slacks with a pretty top. You are allowed to wear long pants too for dressy formal nights. Most single gals like to wear pretty outfits every night at dinner time. The guys like to dress up too on most nights with neat looking clothes.
The singles who don't like to dress up at all end up eating at the dinner buffet. But I have noticed that some guys just have to wear their jeans to dinner every night. It is allowed since we all eat dinner together in our own section of the reserved for us singles tables only.
I have met two millionaire single guys who loved to wear jeans all the time. One guy was from Texas and the other was from Arizona. They were country guys.

I do notice that the singles who get super dressed up for formal night.....most of them run to their cabins to change to comfy clothes.
Those that dress in comfy pretty clothes end up wearing their clothes for the whole eveing.

My advice is..... don't waste luggage space packing long gowns for your cruise. They do take up a lot of space. You will only be wearing the gown for just one formal dinner because you most likely will have planned another dress for the second formal night. We gals don't like to wear the same formal dress twice.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

Angelgal's advice is right on the money. When kiddo get tuxed, he will tolerate it for dinner but is soon headed to the cabin to ditch it for comfy clothes. Sometimes I do the same. Unless it is an inaugeration, charity ball, or funeral (weddings falling in that category ) formal wear often gets ditched since society has gone so casual.

Regarding the jeans everywhere millionaire types, at least in Texas it is OK for jeans to turn up at formal functions, especially galas. Usually they sit right above an outrageous set of custom boots.

While guy clothes improve with wear and age (like lucky fishing shirts) gal clothes are meant to be worn once and never seen again. Heaven forbid a guy sees a gal in the same outfit twice, even if we think she looks especially good in it.

Guys, we need to finance a movie about sweatshops in Asia to put the Blood Diamond hex on gals always shopping for new outfits much as the hex has been placed on guys buying diamond rings.

A good bass boat is forever, diamonds and dresses are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal

Formal night will be on the second night of the cruise and on the night before the last night of the cruise. On the last night we can wear anything we want including jeans and sportswear to dinner.
Most of the vtg singles like to wear pretty black dresses or black slacks with a pretty top. You are allowed to wear long pants too for dressy formal nights. Most single gals like to wear pretty outfits every night at dinner time. The guys like to dress up too on most nights with neat looking clothes.
The singles who don't like to dress up at all end up eating at the dinner buffet. But I have noticed that some guys just have to wear their jeans to dinner every night. It is allowed since we all eat dinner together in our own section of the reserved for us singles tables only.
I have met two millionaire single guys who loved to wear jeans all the time. One guy was from Texas and the other was from Arizona. They were country guys.

I do notice that the singles who get super dressed up for formal night.....most of them run to their cabins to change to comfy clothes.
Those that dress in comfy pretty clothes end up wearing their clothes for the whole eveing.

My advice is..... don't waste luggage space packing long gowns for your cruise. They do take up a lot of space. You will only be wearing the gown for just one formal dinner because you most likely will have planned another dress for the second formal night. We gals don't like to wear the same formal dress twice.
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Diver guy, the single men don't care what we wear. We gals dress up to show it off for other gals to see how great we look. We like to look at eachother to see what pretty clothes other gals are wearing so we can get ideas for our next cruise.
I think that some married men or men who have girlfriends like their women to dress nice so they can impress the people around them at some party. Some women like to dress to impress so their men will look at them with pride. I used to have a boyfriend like that who loved for me to look great in my clothes. I was his trophy girlfriend.

P.S. I live in Los Angeles that is second next to New York city that has a garment district that has clothes made in America. I don't need to buy my clothes from Asia. Angel
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

Angelgal:

Am aware that gals generally dress for gals. The reason being that guys will tell you gals you look good in anything you wear. Its a guy thing - we just hate sleeping on the couch! And, like the kid at the birthday party, we care more about the gift than the wrapping paper it comes in.

Am aware that y'all in LA have dressmakers (and we have some pretty good ones too in San Antonio), but you miss my point. If we men can unite and convince you gals that diamonds are bad and expensive dresses are evil, we need not fear ever being herded into churches and condemned to hear organ music, see flowers in unnatural colors like "fushia" and suffer through dollar dances.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hey Diver guy, the single men don't care what we wear. We gals dress up to show it off for other gals to see how great we look. We like to look at eachother to see what pretty clothes other gals are wearing so we can get ideas for our next cruise.
I think that some married men or men who have girlfriends like their women to dress nice so they can impress the people around them at some party. Some women like to dress to impress so their men will look at them with pride. I used to have a boyfriend like that who loved for me to look great in my clothes. I was his trophy girlfriend.

P.S. I live in Los Angeles that is second next to New York city that has a garment district that has clothes made in America. I don't need to buy my clothes from Asia. Angel
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

Hey Diver guy, I know for a fact that the Dallas, Texas, high society gals love to dress up with expensive clothes and jewelry.

In Los Angeles we have all types of dress styles because our movie stars dress in the most tacky expensive clothes I have ever seen.

I just like to dress nice with simple clothes. I guess if I was to get married again it would be a simple wedding with a simple beautiful wedding dress. I would just invite a small group of friends and family.
It's nice to dream but meanwhile I am doing great buying myself diamonds and flowers because those are the two things I must have.
Diamonds are forever.... but I do get bored with my jewelry so I am always buying me diamond cruise rings from the ships I cruise on. I have a collection of them. Flowers are forever too because I have a garden with lots of flowers that are always blooming.

It looks like you plan to stay single which is okay because I may stay single too because I love my freedom. AG
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

Yeah, and fur coats, too.

Was married in Hollywood so familiar with that scene.

Simple is good, but why is it that that those who promote The Simple Life live anything but?

BTW my dive buddies have been instructed to cut my air hose if I ever think of getting married again. There are plenty of mermaids in the sea.

I guess your diamonds and flowers are as necessary as my air and water. 8)

BTW if you enjoy gardens, try to get up to Ohme in Washington state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hey Diver guy, I know for a fact that the Dallas, Texas, high society gals love to dress up with expensive clothes and jewelry.

In Los Angeles we have all types of dress styles because our movie stars dress in the most tacky expensive clothes I have ever seen.

I just like to dress nice with simple clothes. I guess if I was to get married again it would be a simple wedding with a simple beautiful wedding dress. I would just invite a small group of friends and family.
It's nice to dream but meanwhile I am doing great buying myself diamonds and flowers because those are the two things I must have.
Diamonds are forever.... but I do get bored with my jewelry so I am always buying me diamond cruise rings from the ships I cruise on. I have a collection of them. Flowers are forever too because I have a garden with lots of flowers that are always blooming.

It looks like you plan to stay single which is okay because I may stay single too because I love my freedom. AG
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 910
Default

We have a bunch of bull shittterrs in Hollywood, California. I notice how the movie stars can wear simple rings that look like those little rings that you put on water spouts named washers. Most of the movie stars are millionaires and they love to dress down with white t-shirts and jeans everywhere they go.

A lot of cruisers are starting to really dress down on cruise ships.
Some cruise ships have double standards like they will not let someone young wear tennis shoes for dinner yet the old seniors can wear them.
But I think as time passes the dress rules on ships are going downhill because they can't tell all the people how to dress for dinner.

I have noticed that the gals in our singles group like to wear fancy flip-flops shoes to dinner and that includes dressy formal night. Totally unbelievable but true. It is a new style of shoes. AG
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Fancy Flip Flps

I say OK to the fancy flip flops, especially those high-heel ones - guess it is just the Parrot Head in me. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
We have a bunch of bull shittterrs in Hollywood, California. I notice how the movie stars can wear simple rings that look like those little rings that you put on water spouts named washers. Most of the movie stars are millionaires and they love to dress down with white t-shirts and jeans everywhere they go.

A lot of cruisers are starting to really dress down on cruise ships.
Some cruise ships have double standards like they will not let someone young wear tennis shoes for dinner yet the old seniors can wear them.
But I think as time passes the dress rules on ships are going downhill because they can't tell all the people how to dress for dinner.

I have noticed that the gals in our singles group like to wear fancy flip-flops shoes to dinner and that includes dressy formal night. Totally unbelievable but true. It is a new style of shoes. AG
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
29, amsterdam, carnival, cruiises, cruise, day, formal, nieuw, night, nights, occur, princess

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what nights are the formal nights on Carnival miracle arie Carnival Cruise Lines 2 October 12th, 2008 05:02 PM
what nights are the formal nights on Carnival Legend ? Scoootch Carnival Cruise Lines 8 October 10th, 2008 08:17 AM
RCL Splendour for 5 nights - how many formal nights? cheezz Ask CruiseMates Staff 2 February 18th, 2007 02:13 PM
RCCL Splendour for 5 nights - how many formal nights? cheezz Royal Caribbean International 1 February 15th, 2007 08:27 AM
How many formal and semi-formal nights on a 16 night cruise? rastaman Cruise Dress / Packing 3 November 12th, 2006 08:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1