Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Default EATING CROW TO CM AND SINCERELY APOLOGIZING

Let this thread be a sincere apology to any and all toes I stepped on in my rant and raves a few days ago. If I have burnt any bridges, I apologize for that also and will live with and accept the consequences.

VTG's customer service is not up to my standards, however, I wish anyone who chooses to partake in their adventures the best.

After speaking with their Customer Service Manager, I am even more disappointed in VTG. This is not the fault of anyone there at Cruisemates. It is more my fault than anyone else's. When I got caught up in other CM members happiness with VTG single cruises, I stepped completely out of my comfort zone. There are things that I know I am not comfortable with and I disregarded all of them when I booked the singles cruise.

Some of these things are:

I dislike doing anything in a group. I am a social singular person. In other words, I am very social but like to do it as one person and not part of an organized group. I have a pretty large and diverse social circle but will almost always "meet you there."

I do not like dealing with middlemen. I book directly with Carnival because it eliminates any chance of my vacation being compromised by aforementioned middleman (middle company).

Since I live in NYC, I have access to a social life that a lot of people in other parts of the country do not. Therefore, I did not take the social scene (flirting, speed dating, dancing, drinking, partying, comraderie and the like) as an important part of my cruise experience. I do these things on a regular basis in NYC. I am very active in meetup.com which has a huge following in NYC and many, many groups and functions. Therefore, since I knew I wouldn't get anything out of the singles scene on the ship that I couldn't get back in NYC, I arrogantly and ignorantly turned my nose up to the whole idea. This was almost unforgiveable and wrong. I am sorry if I offended anyone or hurt anyone's feelings.

I found that I have to do something every few years to remind myself why I don't do them. I have been invited on many group cruises and always give a thank you but no thank you. I now remember why. It is great for some people but I am such an odd duck that I rather do things solo. It works for me.

P.S. I have not got back to the other thread and do not plan to go back. It is a dead issue.

Once more, I apologize for my rant.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Passenger

It's never a good feeling to step out of your comfort zone, and when you do venture into that unfamiliar territory, things can get confusing and take a wrong direction. This is my first cruise, and, I too was second guessing doing a singles cruise. I have received a few pm's that I would consider inappropriate, but I am not gonna let this ruin my cruise. I will just stay away from those people and enjoy myself with the many good people that are on the CM boards that will be traveling with me. Its MY vacation and plan to ENJOY it !!! You should do the same !!

Baylee
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: EATING CROW TO CM AND SINCERELY APOLOGIZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Let this thread be a sincere apology to any and all toes I stepped on in my rant and raves a few days ago. If I have burnt any bridges, I apologize for that also and will live with and accept the consequences.

VTG's customer service is not up to my standards, however, I wish anyone who chooses to partake in their adventures the best.

After speaking with their Customer Service Manager, I am even more disappointed in VTG. This is not the fault of anyone there at Cruisemates. It is more my fault than anyone else's. When I got caught up in other CM members happiness with VTG single cruises, I stepped completely out of my comfort zone. There are things that I know I am not comfortable with and I disregarded all of them when I booked the singles cruise.

Some of these things are:

I dislike doing anything in a group. I am a social singular person. In other words, I am very social but like to do it as one person and not part of an organized group. I have a pretty large and diverse social circle but will almost always "meet you there."

I do not like dealing with middlemen. I book directly with Carnival because it eliminates any chance of my vacation being compromised by aforementioned middleman (middle company).

Since I live in NYC, I have access to a social life that a lot of people in other parts of the country do not. Therefore, I did not take the social scene (flirting, speed dating, dancing, drinking, partying, comraderie and the like) as an important part of my cruise experience. I do these things on a regular basis in NYC. I am very active in meetup.com which has a huge following in NYC and many, many groups and functions. Therefore, since I knew I wouldn't get anything out of the singles scene on the ship that I couldn't get back in NYC, I arrogantly and ignorantly turned my nose up to the whole idea. This was almost unforgiveable and wrong. I am sorry if I offended anyone or hurt anyone's feelings.

I found that I have to do something every few years to remind myself why I don't do them. I have been invited on many group cruises and always give a thank you but no thank you. I now remember why. It is great for some people but I am such an odd duck that I rather do things solo. It works for me.

P.S. I have not got back to the other thread and do not plan to go back. It is a dead issue.

Once more, I apologize for my rant.
Personally, I think you're very sweet and thoughtful person. And, don't put too much thought and effort on those folks...just move forward and stay away from negative and ignorant people. I've learned you cannot reason with closed minded people. Live free and cruise well, iBcuz'n
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
First Mate

IB don't sweat it. all is well with me as far as i am concerned. thanks for answering all my cruise questions. i am a very single person such as yourself, love it to.
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yeoman

IBC I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience and I truly hope all was not as you thought, keep your chin up! 8)
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Thanks for your kind words. I was blindsighted (??) by the negative vibe I received on the VTG Singles message board. I do a lot with meetup.com in NYC. This is simply a website that people go to in order to find other people that are doing fun stuff in NYC. It is very similar in principle to the single cruises that VTG, CFL and SC host except it is generally not cruises. Although there are several cruise groups in this organization.

Since I have been so successful on meetup.com and Cruisemates and the people I have encountered have, without exception, been very pleasant and inviting, I naively jump into VTG Single forum with both feet.

Oh well. I love Cruisemates and I love meetup.com.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words. I was blindsighted (??) by the negative vibe I received on the VTG Singles message board. I do a lot with meetup.com in NYC. This is simply a website that people go to in order to find other people that are doing fun stuff in NYC. It is very similar in principle to the single cruises that VTG, CFL and SC host except it is generally not cruises. Although there are several cruise groups in this organization.

Since I have been so successful on meetup.com and Cruisemates and the people I have encountered have, without exception, been very pleasant and inviting, I naively jump into VTG Single forum with both feet.

Hey IBC,

I just checked out meetup.com in my local area, pretty cool, thanks for the info>

Bill 8)
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:

Hey IBC,

I just checked out meetup.com in my local area, pretty cool, thanks for the info>

Bill 8)
It is the best thing since sliced bread. It is so jumping in NYC. I am in at least 20 different groups. It is perfect for singles because you don't have to know anyone and everyone is on an even playing field. There are no cliques or pretentious people because everyone is participating because they don't want to go straight home from work or spend the weekend in the house doing nothing. It is not so much for dating and hooking up but for enjoying events that singles usually miss because they have no one to go with. I love it.

I have gone to dance clubs, happy hours, movies, dinners, plays, amusement parks, beaches, Atlantic City, you name it and always have good company to go with. Many venues offer deep discounts and great happy hour specials so that they can host a meetup.

Went to see Bourne Ultimatum on opening night with 27 strangers. We all sat together and shared popcorn. After the movies 12 of us went out for a late dinner. Great fun, Great movie, Great company. All ages, all colors, all genders, all nationalities. It was awesome.

There are a lot of single people in the country and the shame of it is that so many of us are not partaking in the many things that every and any city or town has to offer because we don't want to go alone. This organization on the Internet has solved that without the pressure of a blind date or a pickup bar.

NVA PM me when you go to a meetup and let me know how it goes.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:

Hey IBC,

Bill 8)
It is the best thing since sliced bread. It is so jumping in NYC. I am in at least 20 different groups. It is perfect for singles because you don't have to know anyone and everyone is on an even playing field. There are no cliques or pretentious people because everyone is participating because they don't want to go straight home from work or spend the weekend in the house doing nothing. It is not so much for dating and hooking up but for enjoying events that singles usually miss because they have no one to go with. I love it.

I have gone to dance clubs, happy hours, movies, dinners, plays, amusement parks, beaches, Atlantic City, you name it and always have good company to go with. Many venues offer deep discounts and great happy hour specials so that they can host a meetup.

Went to see Bourne Ultimatum on opening night with 27 strangers. We all sat together and shared popcorn. After the movies 12 of us went out for a late dinner. Great fun, Great movie, Great company. All ages, all colors, all genders, all nationalities. It was awesome.

There are a lot of single people in the country and the shame of it is that so many of us are not partaking in the many things that every and any city or town has to offer because we don't want to go alone. This organization on the Internet has solved that without the pressure of a blind date or a pickup bar.

NVA PM me when you go to a meetup and let me know how it goes.
Will do, thanks again for the info. 8)
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Admiral

IBC, I understand completely. I like the idea of the safety of a group environment when travelling alone, but I'm sorta shy and more likely to stay on the outskirts of the group, just experience things on my own. I don't like to be "forced" to join in activities that I'm truly not interested in and know I would not find to be fun; also to be part of a gorp where the peole are mostl really loud and obnoxious or otherwise a bad personality clash with me. I'm pretty quiet, soft spoken and a tad on the shy side. I tend to keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut unless I have something to say that's not already being said by others. That's why I decided to book solo on my next cruise rather than go through VTG or singlecruises.com or any other group. I will go to the singles meet & greet, hopefully strike up a friendship with another woman, or flirt with a guy should there be one who I find attractive.... but I'm hoping to find other solos to go into port with rather than myself. I can do it myself, but in a strange place I'd feel safer in a crowed or at least with another person.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
IBC, I understand completely. I like the idea of the safety of a group environment when travelling alone, but I'm sorta shy and more likely to stay on the outskirts of the group, just experience things on my own. I don't like to be "forced" to join in activities that I'm truly not interested in and know I would not find to be fun; also to be part of a gorp where the peole are mostl really loud and obnoxious or otherwise a bad personality clash with me. I'm pretty quiet, soft spoken and a tad on the shy side. I tend to keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut unless I have something to say that's not already being said by others. That's why I decided to book solo on my next cruise rather than go through VTG or singlecruises.com or any other group. I will go to the singles meet & greet, hopefully strike up a friendship with another woman, or flirt with a guy should there be one who I find attractive.... but I'm hoping to find other solos to go into port with rather than myself. I can do it myself, but in a strange place I'd feel safer in a crowed or at least with another person.
Carnival will put all the solos at the same dining table. Go to the shows, activities and hang around the Lido Deck. There are many singles and cruise widows/widowers that did not come on the ship alone but are just as solo as you. In cases like that, a person like you would be a God sent gift from heaven.

Since you are a bit quiet and laid back, I think you will love, love, love the solo cruise experience b/c, like you said, you are not forced to participate.

Also, if you have not found a cruise buddy, book at least your first port's excursion with the ship. You are guaranteed to make a buddy or two on the excursions. For solos, the ship excursions may be worth the extra $$ in the added safety and security.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yeoman

In all the years I have cruised with SINGLES Groups I have NEVER BEEN FORCED TO PARTICIPATE in any planned acitivites. It has always been up to me whether I want to participate or not. We all have the option to do whatever we want. Several singles on hosted singles groups on every cruise choose to do their own thing and you don't see them again until the end of the cruise. That has been my experience.

There is a real misconception that some singles think that they will be forced to participate. These are the people who have never cruised with a singles hosted group.
I don't always attend all of the group activities because I don't want to or I forget to attend. That has been my experience.
Singles who have cruised with Singles groups can also add that the door is always open to attend an activity or not. Angelgal
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Greetings Everyone,
I am a single mom from NYC interested in a solo/singles cruise. This would be my first time cruising, so i'm trying to learn as much info about each one of them, so I can choose which one to go on first. Thanks for the info about your experiences and the link to meetup.com (IBCruzin) too.
Have a great weekend!