Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Default singles activitites onboard

do any cruiselines organize activities for solo travelers? I know Carnival does a meet and greet, but what else? Is there a sign up sheet for solo travelers to sign up to do an excursion with other solo travelers?

I think it would be great if solo travelers who want to , let's say, do a group walk-about of the shopping area near the port. No need to pay for an excursion for that, and you kow everyone else in the group is travelling solo like you are. Or, all take a cab/van together to the port to a beach, museum, garden, zoo, or other attraction and back again.

Do any cruiselines do this?

Is there a message board on the shops where a passenger can post a message like this? I dont' recall seeing one on Carnival Sensation.
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Yeoman

All cruiselines do a "Singles Mingle" where you can meet singles to hang out with. I will be cruising SOLO on the NCL STAR on Sept.23rd and I will attend the "Singles Mingle" plus other activities where I can meet some wonderful people to hang out with. NCL is the only cruiseline that has a Murder Mystery game. You really get to know the players in your group. It is so much fun.
I like playing TRIVIA too where I also get to meet people. The cruise lines have lectures, and other word games that people like attend.
There is a game named "Pictionary". I just like to watch them play.
Then there is Karaoke where you can also make friends with. I don't sing but I dance behind the singer with other dancers. That is so much fun for me. Angelgal
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Angelgal, thanks, a murder mystery DOES sound fun! I'm 48 so I would hope to find activities more geared to a more mature crowd, such as a wine & cheese party, or where they have someone singing while a band plays dance music... etc... I think this would be great for cruises to do.

I would enjoy Trivia, and a few of the other "Lido deck games."
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Yeoman

I think you said you were cruising on a Carnival the fun ships!!! For sure you will have a great time dancing the night away. I have stayed up til 3a.m. on a Carnvial. By that time the dancing becomes rated X by the young people dancing. It is very interesting to watch. Plus, their parents go grab their young ones out of the night clubs.They do have top security but some parents are too conservative. Dirty Dancing in the wee hours.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Passenger

I'm looking at going on the Dec 30 trip on Carnival. The website on singlecruise says there is an organizer and things to do with the singles on a daily basis. You said you went on Carnival and it wasn't like that. Anyone been on Carnival with the singles group before? Is there only the one meet and greet for the group in the beginning and no organized activities after that?
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Admiral

If you just book as a solo cruiser and not with a group (single or otherwise), the only thing that Carnival does is plan a single mixer that is not well attended (I have been on 8 or so cruises solo and never attended). Other than that Carnival will seat all of the solo cruisers at the same table for dinner. This is an excellent, non-pressure way to start to meet people on the ship to pal around with.

On my solo cruisers I found that when people find out you are on the ship solo, they all seem to want to take you under their wing. Invitations to see the shows together, dine together, gamble together, party together are plentiful. Especially once they realize you are not on the hunt and are benign. As a solo on Carnival I have been alone for perhaps lunch on embarkation day, if that long. It doesn't take long for people to just include you in their groups or families.

Side note, none of the above applies if you are on the prowl. If you are flirtation, looking to hook up or prone to wear provocative, very revealing, suggestive clothing (swimwear), you will probably be ostracized and left alone except for your dining tablemates.

Whether you cruise in a group or solo is purely a personal preference. Many of the solo cruisers I have come across are first time cruisers who just wanted to go on a cruise. I don't know any that regretted travelling solo on a cruise. You have to work real hard to be lonely on a cruise, especially on a Carnival cruise.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks IBCRUZIN, for your reply. Did you book through a singles cruise site, or Carnival direct? I went on VTG, and the itinerary says singles activities every at sea day and a singles activites director. Does that mean the norm the ship offers to all passengers?
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha
Thanks IBCRUZIN, for your reply. Did you book through a singles cruise site, or Carnival direct? I went on VTG, and the itinerary says singles activities every at sea day and a singles activites director. Does that mean the norm the ship offers to all passengers?
Since 2003 I have always cruised solo and loved it. Based on recommendations that I read on the web, I booked my next cruise 09/29/07 with VTG. I am not a "group" person and plan to spend most of this cruise as I usually do, as a solo cruiser.

If you want scheduled singles activities every day, then you have to book a singles group cruise. If you want to just go on the ship and wing it, which is an adventure in and of itself, then you book solo through the cruiseline website. I cruise Carnival b/c it is a much more lively bunch and the people on this cruiseline are friendlier and more inviting (IMHO).

That is the shortest way to explain the difference. VTG has the best prices for single cruises but does mainly 7 night or longer cruises. Cruising for Love does shorter cruises (3-7 nights). I was on a ship with a Cruising For Love group. It was a small group of less than 50 people and they seemed very nice, well rounded and not particularly rowdy or the like. Just a bunch of people cruising together was my take.

If you do Carnival and do not mind an inside cabin, you can get a Cat. 1A single for less than any of the single cruise companies charge for a Cat. 4A single which is the lowest category most of them will book.

Just think about how you envision your vacation, what is important, your $$ budget and make a decision based on your needs and not the personal experience and opinion of anyone on the Internet.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)