Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser Confused!

Greeting To All,

Alittle about me, I'm a 39 year old, african-american, single mom, looking to go on a solo/single cruise for the first time.

I'm finally tired of all the work and no play that I do, so I decided to finally take a break.

Most of my friends and family are either married, or have longterm boyfriends/girlfriends and aren't interested in going on any solo/singles cruises without their mates.

That means I'm the odd man/woman out and I hate being the third wheel!

Previously on, (Cruise Companion Needed) I posted that I was looking for a female to share the cost of a cabin to the Caribbean.

But, someone responded that I try this message board to look for singles cruises, instead of trying to go with a stranger.

However, I read the different posts on this message board about the differences of solo vs single cruises and someone's latest problems with VTG and now I'm more confused then ever.

I'm just looking forward to enjoying myself on my first cruise with fun, down-to-earth and compatible person/people so I have company.

Sounds almost impossible now though, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
First Mate

MOMMA, IF YOU CAN AFFORD A INTERIOR CABIN BY YOURSELF, THAT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. YOU WILL ENJOY YOURSELF MUCH MORE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU DESERVE IT, TREAT YOURSELF.
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
First Mate

ALSO MOMMA, GO SOLO
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Beginner

I am from NYC, 36 and African American, I have been “lurking� and noticed Ibcruisin’s problem with VTG. Don’t let that experience turn you away from group cruises. Racism happens everywhere and you don’t have to leave NY to experience it.

I have been on 3 cruises 1 with family(never again) one solo and the last one with singlescruise for NYE. The reasons I decided to go with a group was they had open seating for dinner(bad tablemates before),I wanted a balcony cabin and since it was the holidays the price was the same for a solo or group cruise.

I loved it!!!! I had so much fun and met a lot of people. While singlescruise could have done some things better, I still had fun. I have signed up for the Halloween( my roommate is a friend I met @ my 1st singlescruise) and NYE .

singlescruise did not force you to go to any events (some people never saw their roommates).
This is not a dating service,

I think you should try a group cruise for your 1st cruise, even if you don’t like the people you can always stay solo.
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Yeoman

I concur with the advice to make your first cruise an organized singles cruise. Get the experience then decide if you want to go it alone on your next cruise.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates' Singles Editor
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Passenger

The main thing is PLEASE DO NOT let one person's experience ruin your judgement with ANY company. There are two sides to every story and on this board we are only getting one.....

Now having said that, going on a group cruise with WHATEVER company you decide on is a BLAST. I've gone on 5 and saw how much fun people had, got the chance to really see people let loose, and let their hair down. There are ALWAYS single parents, divorcees, people from every part of the US along with Canada, and the UK, people of different races, social stature and backgrounds. The majority of these people hadn't cruised before, hadn't done any kind of singles group thing, and some had never even been on a vacation by themselves! (GASP!) You are NOT forced to do anything you dont want to, and no it is NOT a dating thing---Yes anytime you get 300 single men and women in one room hormones are going to fly but all in all its just single people enjoying their vacation without being completely by themselves. I seriously think you should give it a shot whether or not you get a cabin by yourself or if you do a share. if you have any questions please feel free to IM me. Also if you choose a cruise out of NY then chances are there will be some New Yorkers on there. Best of Luck, Logan
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Admiral

IBCruzin' here. Solo vs. Single Group is a matter of preference. Going solo requires more work but no excuses. If you go with a singles group and find it (they is not to your taste, it may be a bit uncomfortable for you.

Purely your personal preference. I am an empty nester, former single parent, recently divorced, African American female from Brooklyn, NY. I do a lot of things solo and usually am quite happy with just me or maybe one other person along for company. I will attend a function with a group but prefer to come and go as it suits me. (a bit narcisstic, I know)

I have never been on a singles group cruise and only have what I have read on this board and a few others, as well as observing a singles group for all of one day on a cruise as my basis for my likes and dislikes about single group cruises. There are reasons why I have always shyed away from the group cruise thing but if you are not extremely extroverted, you may find going solo too isolating.

The choice is yours.

However, I recommend you start with a short Carnival cruise and book a Cat. 1A cabin (inside) alone. 3-5 days is more than enough for your first cruise, Carnival is the Fun Ship and is a bit more consistent with the upbeat tempo on ALL of their ships. The other cruiselines are hit or miss depending on the passenger demographics (a lot of couples, seniors, etc.) Avoid any ship that offers free style dining. As a solo, you will eat alone at just about every meal.

I can almost guarantee if you book a cabin to share with a stranger, you will regret it. Maybe not regret it badly, but you will find the lost of privacy and personal space control is simply not worth the savings.

If you can live without a window or balcony, stick to the bottom category available (on Carnival it is usually Cat. 1A)

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Let me start by saying I have never cruised before, and I decided to go with an organized singles cruise for my first one. From what I have read, SC and VTG seem to have a lot of satisfied customers. There are a few people on here that seem to jump up and cheer and sing their praises anytime you type the letters VTG. This company is either the best thing since sliced bread or these cruisers may get a comp or two. Either way, I want to give them a try on my next cruise. To get to the point, go for it, do yourself a favor and just go. Im sure your experience with either cruise group will be fun if you want it to be.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:34 AM
booboo4031

Hi Baylee

No none of us get comps from VTG.. we've just had very good experiences traveling with them and have made many great friends. Go with the attitude that you'll have fun and I'm sure you will!

Diane
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Yeoman

Hi Baylee, did you say VTG? !! Since I cruise so much with VTG you would think I would get some type of discount but I don't.
I have been a group cruiser for many years and recently last year I discovered VTG HOSTED SINGLES!!!! I was born in Houston, Texas, VTG is a travel company located in the state where my roots are from..... eventhough I now live in Los Angeles. I truly enjoy meeting people from the other states and have developed a friendship with some great cruiser friends from cruising with VTG.

My friend Showcat from Chicago and my friend Katie from Los Angeles are on a VTG Cruise to the caribbean presently.
My friend Lisa from Yonkers, N.Y. and some other friends from Los Angeles will be cruising out of Miami for Halloween. They want to see the caribbean. They cruised with me to the Mexican-Riviera last Halloween.
Angelgal
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

A group single cruise may be the thing for you.

However, understand that the only criteria to online singles group is the ability to pay for the cruise. In fact, you don't even have to be single to go on a singles cruise that is advertised and sold over the Internet. Anyone can book those cruises and go.

There are also other theme cruises that may be of interest to you. There are all kinds of organizations and groups that will organize cruises. Perhaps there are some in your area. (In NYC, the Corrections, Police, Postal, Transit Workers' Unions are always sponsoring cruises. There are churches, Eastern Star and Mason cruises. Every black radio station sponsors at least one cruise.) On these type of theme cruises, you will be around people that either have something in common or have some resemblances of connection to the group/company so that you are not dealing with complete strangers put into very familiar/intimate settings. Also when you do a theme cruise, there are almost always plenty of singles in the group to socialize and hang out with during the cruise.

However, whatever you do . . .

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Beginner

WOW...

Thanks everyone for all the information you gave me. I really appreciate it!

I've decided to try a group cruise first to see how I like cruising and be around others, "Im so called with."

Then, I will "graduate" up to maybe going solo next. Because who knows, I may become a "group cruising groupie."

I will keep you guys posted on which group cruise I will go on first.
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMomma
WOW...

Thanks everyone for all the information you gave me. I really appreciate it!

I've decided to try a group cruise first to see how I like cruising and be around others, "Im so called with."

Then, I will "graduate" up to maybe going solo next. Because who knows, I may become a "group cruising groupie."

I will keep you guys posted on which group cruise I will go on first.
Which group are you going on?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes