Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Default Essential Items while traveling overseas

1) VISA credit card

* check with your credit card company before traveling overseas. Some banks charge $20 to $50 for conversion fee.

2) GSM mobile phone (you won't find any cheaper place for GSM phone!)

* http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

These are the most important things I bring. Feel free to add/share your insights on this topic.

Cruise well!! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeoman

edit
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:17 PM
First Mate

I don't really need to notify 'em. Most secured card holders have to.
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

yes, I agree, bring at least 2 credit cards with lots of available credit! Use one for ship charges, one for port and other charges.

Keep one on board at all times in case the one you're in port with gets lost.

And if you don't inform your credit card bank that you will be out of town, they may think it's been stolen and freeze your account. Not the best thing to happen when you are travelling!
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

I always keep my credit card company informed of my travel plans. AG
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Familiar Face

American Express Travelers Checks: Great to have if you need them, will be replaced if stolen and if you don't use them all, cash them when you get home. Worth the service fee, excepted almost everywhere and safer than cash. I use my credit card mostly but like to have the travelers checks as a back up.
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Yeoman

When packing for an overseas cruise always take your own over-the-counter items for upset stomachs, headaches, etc. And if you take prescription meds, carry your prescription with you.

Another idea: instead of taking regular deoderant, buy a box of little alcohol wipes. Alcohol is the perfect deoderant as it has no potentially harmful chemicals and keeps you totally dry. These are much more convenient than bottles and sprays. It is also a good idea to take the little wrapped moist towelettes for freshening up. And does anyone not take antibacterial cleansers with them these days?

Anybody else got a suggestion?

Pat Hagan,
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
When packing for an overseas cruise always take your own over-the-counter items for upset stomachs, headaches, etc. And if you take prescription meds, carry your prescription with you.

Another idea: instead of taking regular deoderant, buy a box of little alcohol wipes. Alcohol is the perfect deoderant as it has no potentially harmful chemicals and keeps you totally dry. These are much more convenient than bottles and sprays. It is also a good idea to take the little wrapped moist towelettes for freshening up. And does anyone not take antibacterial cleansers with them these days?

Anybody else got a suggestion?

Pat Hagan,
Cruisemates Singles Editor
I've seen OLD people take anti cleansers. Personally, I don't carry 'em. I also made a mistake of wearing fanny pack..will never do that again!! I looked like a dork with fanny pak!! it doesn't matter if I have a nice body, girls look at guys funny with fanny pak!! On that note, this is a Young and Stupidd generation...we only care about appearance and fashion 8)
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

My travel essentials:
Backpack: gotta love it. I fly all the time and a backpack allows you to have both hands free. It also distributes the weight, opposed to bags that go over one shoulder, and they are easier to run with should you be running late. Also, someone mentioned the ever cool fanny pack. Backpacks are more "socially acceptable," and you can carry more in it.

Certain toilettries, but in particular, a hairbrush, toothpaste, and toothbrush. I nearly always fall asleep on the plane, and depending how long I sometimes get morning breath. I've also found myself staying overnight twice due to flight delays.

Earplugs: this is a personal thing because I can't stand certain noises like gum chewing, laptop typing, snoring, annoying kids, so these little wonders at least help minimize the noise when I'm taking my plane nap.

No matter what time of year it is, I always take a sweatshirt hoodie jacket when I fly. 9 times out of 10, the plane is cold.