Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
IBC:

I doubt whether a reputable travel agent would steer a customer based on demographics for the same reason I doubt a real estate agent would so steer a customer. It just is not good business and in some cases is illegal.

That said a real estate agent could drive you through a neighborhood and let you draw your own conclusions. Unfortunately, you cannot just drive through the ports to gain insight on the shipping neighborhood. Hmmm, but you can virtually do that drive by on the cruise boards where we freely trade advice and observations under the guise of free speech.

Were demographics a big issue, I would suggest someone hit the boards and talk to known cruisers. Surely the 20 something would find out a 12 day Cunard's Australian cruise is not going to have the same demographics as a 7 day Carnival New Orleans cruise.

IBC, you or I can steer folks to and from cruises because we have no skin in the game, nor a professional obligation to be impartial. I would not expect a travel agent to have such freedom. Now if cruiselines were to publish demographic statistics based on voluntary surveys, relating such information it would be a different matter and our travel agents could just point to the stats?

Personally, demographics don't mean much to me on a cruise as I can identify millions of kin in all races, colors, religions and nationalities. But if it means something to another cruiser than a query placed on the various cruise boards seems appropriate. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
I just find it hard to believe that any cruise company would take a racist attitude when everyone's money is the same color "GREEN" and it helps their bottom line!
There is only a tiny segment left of the American population that does anything intentionally racist. Most times it is probably more of a case of untentional cultural insensitivity. Ask Pat Riley from FOX News.

However, some members of various groups (including Euro-Americans) are not comfortable when they are the "odd" man. Other people it doesn't bother. For me, until someone else makes it an issue, it is not an issue in my book. A lot of the things I do for entertainment has me as the odd man. As long as no one else notices it for me, I am fine.

However, if this young lady was hoping to find a male companion on the cruise or was looking for someone who had a similar background, then the demographics are an issue.

It is no different than if a 20 something is looking to cruise in a singles group, it behoove the sales people at these organizations to steer or direct the 20 something away from HAL, etc because of the "general" demographics of the passengers. I think that is where VTG failed this minority female passenger. When she asked the question about ethnic makeup of their passengers, she could have/should have been told the demographics of who "usually" attends the VTG HAL cruises then re-directed to a Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL cruise out of NYC or L.A. where there would have been a better chance of getting more of what she was expecting. It seems as though (for whatever reason) this lady feels that VTG misled her. Perhaps their salespeople work on commission and the person she talked to didn't want to lose the sale. Who knows.

Also, a vast majority of Euro-Americans would not attend or participate in a function or event if they thought they would be the only "white skinned" people there. No way Jose, they ain't going. This woman felt the same way which is why she asked upfront.

Again I ask the question, what are the demographics of this past cruise?
You are right DM, it would have been a lose/lose for the sales rep.

However, I asked the question twice so far in this thread and have not gotten an answer. Oh well.

The topics of race, religion, ethnicity, gender preference, and the like are so tender to the touch that most people just don't want to be bothered.

If I, as an Caribbean-American women get on my cruise Saturday and find that I am the only "person of color" in the VTG group, that will be fine. I will hold electric slide, cha-cha slide, cupid slide and hip/hop dance classes every night in the dance club immediately following the evening performance in the big theater I was one of just a handful of "people of color" on my NCL cruise. It was never an issue. In fact, it wasn't to the end of the cruise that I even came to realize this. It had no effect whatsoever on my cruise experience. But, that is me. 8)

Oh well, what can you do?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yeoman

I have cruised on 30+ cruises and I have never been asked by a travel agent what is my race? They only ask for my legal name, age, and what country I am from for passport and booking reasons.

All organized HOSTED SINGLES GROUPS are set up to allow only the group of people who are cruising with them as a way for people to get to know eachother in advance of the cruise. Usually the message boards are set-up two months in advance.
The main reason OUTSIDERS are not allowed to participate in the message boards is because the people are in the process of getting to know eachother better so when they get on the cruise they have already met part of the group. Not everybody participates in the message board because they are too busy with their lives. But it is really fun when we get to meet the rest of the cruisers on the ship who are part of the group.
I am presently part of the vtg singles group Halloween message board. Some of us are planning the hotels to stay at, what tours to take, who is from what State, we are exchanging cell phone numbers, we are doing private e-mailing, asking what to pack, etc. ALL THAT IS PRIVATE INFO. that only the people going on our cruise should have. Angelgal
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
I have cruised on 30+ cruises and I have never been asked by a travel agent what is my race? They only ask for my legal name, age, and what country I am from for passport and booking reasons.

All organized HOSTED SINGLES GROUPS are set up to allow only the group of people who are cruising with them as a way for people to get to know eachother in advance of the cruise. Usually the message boards are set-up two months in advance.
The main reason OUTSIDERS are not allowed to participate in the message boards is because the people are in the process of getting to know eachother better so when they get on the cruise they have already met part of the group. Not everybody participates in the message board because they are too busy with their lives. But it is really fun when we get to meet the rest of the cruisers on the ship who are part of the group.
I am presently part of the vtg singles group Halloween message board. Some of us are planning the hotels to stay at, what tours to take, who is from what State, we are exchanging cell phone numbers, we are doing private e-mailing, asking what to pack, etc. ALL THAT IS PRIVATE INFO. that only the people going on our cruise should have. Angelgal
Well said! 8)
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
booboo4031

Besides, do you know how quickly they'd get sued for asking what race someone is for a cruise booking??

Diane
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeoman

Whenever I go cruising on any ship I always ask where are you from? I don't ask what race are you from? That would be such a stupid question.

I think most of us are soooo happy to be on a cruise that we just go around the ship having as much fun and relaxation as possible. We seek out people who are compatiable with us and not based on race or whatever country the person is from. I once had a lady say she didn't like it that I was from Texas. For some reason she didn't like Texans. I told her that I was a proud Texan and all of my ancestors were born there and I wasn't going to deny my ancestry just to make her happy.

Some people are so strange about stupid things that are not important to consider in life. What is important in my life is to have joy and love in my heart. If I come across angry bitter people I just move on to meet other people who have a better outlook on life. When I meet happy people on cruise ships I get soooo happy to meet them. It brings joy to my heart.
Angelgal/Luci