Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Default Back from Vacations to Go Singles cruise-

Hi I just submitted my cruise review on this site. Give it a few days and look for it in reader reviews under the Carnival Legend ship by Showcat.
VTG did a great job, the singles activitys were a blast. I made some wonderful new friends I hope to keep in touch with.Our hosts Dixie, Dale and GC did a great job. Although our ports were switched due to hurricane Dean we all still had a fun vacation, which beats sitting at home any day!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Passenger

I'm glad that you had a great time, showcat. Where did you end up porting? Dale and GC will be on my cruise as well as Roseanne. What kind of activities did you guys do with the singles group?
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

We did Singles Pictonary, a Line Dance class, as well as a private Pirate party (people went all out with their costumes) there was also a Masquarade ball and some other activitys I didn't participate in so I don't recall what they were. On past VTG we did Movie Trivia and 2 Truths and a Lie those were a lot of fun. There was a group shore excursion also that I didn't do in Grand Cayman to swim with the Sting Rays I think. Hope this helps. Please post a review of your cruise when you return under reader reviews or in the singles forum thanks!
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Showcat, I posted this on the other thread shortly after you left.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh I guess I didn't look back to see when this cruise left. I was actually at the Port of Tampa this afternoon (the day your cruise left) and watched the ship sail off. Showcat, I was eating at Channelside right by the pier at Bennigans for a late lunch. That was my last weekend in Tampa so I just decided to go down there and watch the ship leave and I didn't realize this was the VTC cruise until I got back here in the hotel and looked. I think I heard some people talking about Key West so I guess they are going there. I will be in Key West next Saturday myself before flying back to St. Louis.

Going forward now: I did go to Key West for 2 days and had a great time and now I am back trying to get use to things after being gone all summer. My next cruise is right around the corner now and I never even had time to write much about the last one.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Vince funny I was at the Bennigans the night before for dinner during our pre cruise party which was at Bahama Mamas. I liked boarding at the Tampa port but this maybe was due to the fact my cabin mate is a VIP so we got on the ship first and off quickly with no lines. Try to write some reviews after you return happy cruising!
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM
First Mate

hi showcat, good to hear the cruise was a blast. looking forward to read your review.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Yeoman

Hi Showcat, I just finished reading your cruise review and it was great. You did a great job of giving us the hi-lites of your cruise.

I am happy you had the balcony experience because now you can say, 'Been there....done that". I only like having a balcony when it is affordable. I like them because it makes the cabin look bigger. But I don't really use the balcony so it is better to save the money for things to buy in ports.

You could have asked the waiter to get you another prime rib dinner when you noticed it wasn't cooked enough. I would have done that. It is any easy thing for them to do.

Your deep sea ocean tour experience was a rip-off because they didn't take you on a boat to the location of the sunken ship. The tour said sunken ship and you didn't get to see it. What a rip-off!!
I don't see how the tour people can expect people to swim from shore all the way into deep waters with inexperienced divers. That was not fair.

Key West is beautiful. Luci
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM
booboo4031

Hi Carol

Good review... doesn't sound like shoretrips did a good job on that excursion. I would email them and let them know what happened.

Our Halloween cruise is going to have an itinerary change but we don't know what it is yet. Costa Maya was wiped out by Dean.... and Carnival hasn't set the itinerary yet.

I always do a balcony cabin. I don't like the fact that most of the new ships put the oceanview cabins on the bottom deck and I like to sleep with the door open!

Diane
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Hi Showcat:

Please get certified and then you can dive with kiddo and I anytime. Could do worse than diving with a pro and life guard who does scouts and scuba rangers and his 12 year old master diver kiddo who was born with flippers. 8)

You are right that 15-20 minutes prep is only adequte for Intro in confined water. When doing that with ROTC folk (closer to your age), we have 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 and I don't take my eyes off the participants. The idea is for folks to have fun and by a half hour folks do, given alot of attention.

Sounds like what you were doing going to the wreck was a tour. Trust me, you were probably not streamlined, or properly balanced, nor did you have adequate buoyancy skills. Equipment is not cumbersome when trained and you hover. Also, water moves at different speeds in the column, and you probably were up near the top where you fight current most.

You should have been taught to clear your regulator and you should have been in view of your instructor.

Hang with us and we'll get you 3,500 fish up close. My kiddo is game to dive Epcot again which is one place I would toss you. Jenne, too (fellow cruisemate) when she certifies. Samantha, another fellow cruisemate diver, would love it for the high vis (water clarity) versus west coast, but then they don't allow your own camera gear in there.

Hi Angelgal:

Looking into a Mediterranean cruise in 2008. Probably originating or hitting Rome. Might have a few folks interested to organize a group. Looking into logistics and establishing connections in Europe. You have done Rome - overland or from the sea? Can you assist with tips?

Thanks,

Dave
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Yeoman

Hi Diver guy, I heard that this year two females from cruise ships have drowned while swimming in Gran Cayman ocean area. They drowned because people think the currents pulled them in or got tangled in something. It is a dangerous area to swim in for some people who don't know the area. The ocean can look so innocent and then all of a sudden the winds show up and the ocean gets real choppy and dangerous in that area. I have been there many times.

It was years ago when I went on a land tour of Europe. I forgot a lot of stuff. I can't advise you..... sorry.

I just remember seeing a ship in Venice, Italy, and I wanted to cruise on it so bad. I hope to do that someday. AG
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Admiral

Glad you liked my review. Diane I plan to contact shore trips soon I just haven't gotten around to making the phone call yet, but I think they need to be aware. Dave thanks for your offer, at the moment Im still freaked out about diving. Do you use a marker board under water to communicate? I think it sounds like a good idea. Angelgirl good to see your back writing on the boards you have much valuable knowledge to share with cruisers, don't let a few internet trolls keep you from posting!
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Angelgal:

Your story kind of tells why you want to ocean swim where there are life guards. Water safety when swimming is a big thing we drill into our scouts. Pertains to safety when diving, too - when drift diving currents, you stay together as a group, carry safety sausages (4 foot red inflatable markers), quackers (air horns) and loud whistles. You, keep your snorkel on in choppy and single distress if you are in danger.

As with diving and travel with kiddo, I always scout out places before he goes there. Hence many solo cruises or around-the-world-in-a-day trips. Same attitude if going with scouts or even a group of divers which is why I am gathering as much firsthand info as I can before doing Europe. May even take a quick recon trip.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Diver guy, I heard that this year two females from cruise ships have drowned while swimming in Gran Cayman ocean area. They drowned because people think the currents pulled them in or got tangled in something. It is a dangerous area to swim in for some people who don't know the area. The ocean can look so innocent and then all of a sudden the winds show up and the ocean gets real choppy and dangerous in that area. I have been there many times.

It was years ago when I went on a land tour of Europe. I forgot a lot of stuff. I can't advise you..... sorry.

I just remember seeing a ship in Venice, Italy, and I wanted to cruise on it so bad. I hope to do that someday. AG
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Showcat:

I fault inadequate training and supervision for your experience. Yes, I do have several sized slates, navigation boards and pencils, but I'm in process of becoming an underwater sign instructor (SeaSign) for communication. For you, right now, writing on a slate would probably be a distraction (except perhaps if standing in confined water). You really need command of basic dive signals and better supervision.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Your experience is why we have so many one time "divers" the sport never sees again. Properly trained and tossed in the right aquarium you would probably have alot of fun. 8)

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Dave thanks for your offer, at the moment Im still freaked out about diving. Do you use a marker board under water to communicate? I think it sounds like a good idea. Angelgirl good to see your back writing on the boards you have much valuable knowledge to share with cruisers, don't let a few internet trolls keep you from posting!
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Yeoman

I just want to say to everybody reading this message topic that in Mexico and the Caribbean islands..... it isn't always safe on those swimming tours.... and some of the tranquil looking beaches can be super dangerous.
Many people have drowned in those ports through the years.
My thinking has always been that the local people say, "OPPS, another tourist just drowned". The local people don't warn you of the unsafe beaches unless you ask them..... then they will tell you how some of the area beaches are so dangerous.
In Cabo San Lucas, the Lovers Beach area is super dangerous even for strong swimmers who have drowned. The area looks real peaceful but it has a strong undertow current.
There are other beaches in Cabo where the waves are so strong that they can grab you while walking on the edge of the waves and drown people. There are warning signs in Spanish but not in English. Luci
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Showcat? Couple of questions. . . .

How large was your group?

What was the demographic breakdown of the group? (race, gender, age)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Showcat? Couple of questions. . . .

How large was your group?

What was the demographic breakdown of the group? (race, gender, age)
For me my concern would be the balance of sex (hopefully, they are equal) as for age I prefer people closer to my age (46, who are in good shape) for race it's not important to me being African-American I just want to experience cruising.

As for how large the group, you can get an idea by what Showcat wrote in her Trip Report. Both Single Cruise and VTG have large attendance (about 100 per ship) but remember even on a well attended cruise you still can be lost.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yeoman

When I sailed on the Oosterdam which left San Diego on 1/20/07, the VTG group that was on our ship was primarily white, which I found surprising.

I had made friends with Denise on this website and met her for dinner the night before our cruise, and she was the only person of color in the whole VTG group (200+) which was surprising. She had been told by her VTG sales rep that it was a "mixed demographic" and I think she felt that she was a bit misled.

I tried to look at the most recent Yahoo board for the upcoming VTG cruise and they denied access to me as I wasn't booked through them.

I have to admit that I'm finding VTG to be somewhat elitist in their policies and not as forthcoming as one would hope for. It makes me wonder what exactly they are hiding!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
When I sailed on the Oosterdam which left San Diego on 1/20/07, the VTG group that was on our ship was primarily white, which I found surprising.

I had made friends with Denise on this website and met her for dinner the night before our cruise, and she was the only person of color in the whole VTG group (200+) which was surprising. She had been told by her VTG sales rep that it was a "mixed demographic" and I think she felt that she was a bit misled.

I tried to look at the most recent Yahoo board for the upcoming VTG cruise and they denied access to me as I wasn't booked through them.

I have to admit that I'm finding VTG to be somewhat elitist in their policies and not as forthcoming as one would hope for. It makes me wonder what exactly they are hiding!
I will be able to tell you in about 10 days.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Companies can't ask race when they make a reservation, nor do they really have a reason to. I'm sure they can speculate based on past experiences about what the demographics usually are but of course no one can predict who will actually book a cruise.

I've met people of many races and from many countries including Scotland, Australia, Germany, Japan on the singles cruises.

As far as the chat room - I know they restrict that to reserved guests. I would think the reason for that would be obvious - they have to keep spam out and the forum is for people that are going on the cruise.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

GWYDiana...

Your post doesn't appear to make any sense to me. Not only do you contradict yourself, but you make an insinuation you can't really back up.

Quote:
I am not a regular singles cruiser, but I have read through these boards and been on plenty of ships. Why would you be surprised that a VTG singles group would be primarily white? On any cruise I go on the passenger contingent is primarily white. VTG is a "singles" cruise operator, not an "Black cruise" operator. Why should their demographics be any different than the average cruise? This statement just doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
No one is allowed to ask a booking passenger what race they are, nor would they keep records of past cruises based on race. "Mixed demographics" encompasses many aspects other than race.

Quote:
How has anything that happened reflect an "elitism" by VTG? They accept everyone who books, and according to you above they encouraged a black lady to take the cruise so you are contradicting your own post. It looks like you are just trying to stir the pot, because otherwise your comments just don't make any sense.
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

Paul,

Obviously, since I was there and you weren't, I have a different perspective than you.

By calling them "elitist" I was referring to the fact that they absolutely *refused* me access to their Yahoo chat board for cruising. I thought that if they really wanted to sell spots on their VTG hosted cruise, they would allow prospective cruisers to read the excitement on their chat boards. Again, this is my opinion.

I was surprised that the VTG group onboard the Oosterdam was primarily white because when Denise booked her cruise, she disclosed that she was African-American and specifically asked about the demographics of that very cruise as well as their average demographics across the board. She felt misled when she boarded the cruise and discovered she was the only person of color in the group. I was surprised at this outcome.

Paul, you accuse me of stirring the pot, but if you were to read your own post thoroughly, I'd say you do an amazing stir job yourownself

Legal Disclaimer: *This post was written with a smile on my face*

Old September 27th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Yeoman

Quote:

By calling them "elitist" I was referring to the fact that they absolutely *refused* me access to their Yahoo chat board for cruising. I thought that if they really wanted to sell spots on their VTG hosted cruise, they would allow prospective cruisers to read the excitement on their chat boards. Again, this is my opinion.
Hi Gwydiana,

Just a little clarification about your post. I have sailed with VTG once and Singlescruise.com 9 or 10 times and neither one of them will allow you to join in on the chat sight or any of the onboard activities unless you are booked in the group.

"Elitist", hardly, it's just a way of only giving the perks to those who are booked with them and I think that's the way it should be. Why should anyone else reap the benefits that I and others in the group have paid for if they themselves are not part of that group?

Bill 8)
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:

Hi Gwydiana,

Just a little clarification about your post. I have sailed with VTG once and Singlescruise.com 9 or 10 times and neither one of them will allow you to join in on the chat sight or any of the onboard activities unless you are booked in the group.

"Elitist", hardly, it's just a way of only giving the perks to those who are booked with them and I think that's the way it should be. Why should anyone else reap the benefits that I and others in the group have paid for if they themselves are not part of that group?

Bill 8)
Your point is well taken

However, my point was the Yahoo chat board is a public chat board, I didn't consider it a "benefit" of cruising with VTG -- it's doesn't cost a thing. I'm not asking to partake in a dinner, social event or party that costs VTG $$$. It's a "message/chat board" for goodness sake 8)

I had written VTG an email asking for access to the messageboard stating I was interested in booking the cruise with them and just wanted to read the commentary of the people that were going. They denied me access and stated I had to "book" the cruise with them prior to getting access to the chat board. I found that elitist.

Again, this is my opinion only!

Old September 27th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Gwydiana,

Bill 8)
Your point is well taken

However, my point was the Yahoo chat board is a public chat board, I didn't consider it a "benefit" of cruising with VTG -- it's doesn't cost a thing. I'm not asking to partake in a dinner, social event or party that costs VTG $$$. It's a "message/chat board" for goodness sake 8)

I had written VTG an email asking for access to the messageboard stating I was interested in booking the cruise with them and just wanted to read the commentary of the people that were going. They denied me access and stated I had to "book" the cruise with them prior to getting access to the chat board. I found that elitist.

Again, this is my opinion only!
A while back Singlescruise.com had a policy of allowing past cruisers to join any of the chat sights for upcoming cruises. I found this quite nice as I could keep up with some of my friends going on that cruise when I couldn't.

To my dissappointment they dropped that policy and now will only allow cruisers on that cruise to join the board. Bummer!

Bill
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Admiral

California and New York are pretty diverse places - I might expect a ship out of either state to have a Heinz 57 Blend of folks. Certainly Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, some foreign nationals. Probably real light on Australians, South Americans, Native Africans and Native Americans, but I bet you could find a few on a 2,000 passenger ship. That said, I would expect Heinz 57 on a Carnival line which appeals more to the native port population (length of cruise, routes). On HAL, Heinz 57 need not apply since the ships appeal to a different segment of the population (older, more affluent?) than Carnival. HAL is also heavy on repeaters who will be drawn to the ship from out of the native port area so the diverse demographics of San Diego might not be reflected in the demographics of a HAL ship leaving San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
GWYDiana...

Your post doesn't appear to make any sense to me. Not only do you contradict yourself, but you make an insinuation you can't really back up.

Quote:
I am not a regular singles cruiser, but I have read through these boards and been on plenty of ships. Why would you be surprised that a VTG singles group would be primarily white? On any cruise I go on the passenger contingent is primarily white. VTG is a "singles" cruise operator, not an "Black cruise" operator. Why should their demographics be any different than the average cruise? This statement just doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
No one is allowed to ask a booking passenger what race they are, nor would they keep records of past cruises based on race. "Mixed demographics" encompasses many aspects other than race.

Quote:
How has anything that happened reflect an "elitism" by VTG? They accept everyone who books, and according to you above they encouraged a black lady to take the cruise so you are contradicting your own post. It looks like you are just trying to stir the pot, because otherwise your comments just don't make any sense.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Gwydiana...

I think maybe the way you stated things in your post reads differently from what you intended. It happens, so I won't parse it.

I can understand someone wanting a sample, but if the supplier says no it is because what you are asking for has intrinsic value to the supplier. People cruise in single's groups for the companionship of it. You were asking for a major component of what people pay for for free. I can understand them not allowing it.

I have no idea what anyone is "led to believe" but if she didn't get what she expected that is unfortunate.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

I just find it hard to believe that any cruise company would take a racist attitude when everyone's money is the same color "GREEN" and it helps their bottom line!
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
I just find it hard to believe that any cruise company would take a racist attitude when everyone's money is the same color "GREEN" and it helps their bottom line!
very well worded *applause*

You definately have a flair for writing concise, cohesive, understandable *stuff*!

I didn't mean to imply that they are racist. I just think that their sales rep will say anything to make the sale. That's pretty much everywhere, I guess.

It all worked out great because Denise hung with us and we had a blast together!

Old September 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
There is only a tiny segment left of the American population that does anything intentionally racist. Most times it is probably more of a case of untentional cultural insensitivity. Ask Pat Riley from FOX News.

However, some members of various groups (including Euro-Americans) are not comfortable when they are the "odd" man. Other people it doesn't bother. For me, until someone else makes it an issue, it is not an issue in my book. A lot of the things I do for entertainment has me as the odd man. As long as no one else notices it for me, I am fine.

However, if this young lady was hoping to find a male companion on the cruise or was looking for someone who had a similar background, then the demographics are an issue.

It is no different than if a 20 something is looking to cruise in a singles group, it behoove the sales people at these organizations to steer or direct the 20 something away from HAL, etc because of the "general" demographics of the passengers. I think that is where VTG failed this minority female passenger. When she asked the question about ethnic makeup of their passengers, she could have/should have been told the demographics of who "usually" attends the VTG HAL cruises then re-directed to a Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL cruise out of NYC or L.A. where there would have been a better chance of getting more of what she was expecting. It seems as though (for whatever reason) this lady feels that VTG misled her. Perhaps their salespeople work on commission and the person she talked to didn't want to lose the sale. Who knows.

Also, a vast majority of Euro-Americans would not attend or participate in a function or event if they thought they would be the only "white skinned" people there. No way Jose, they ain't going. This woman felt the same way which is why she asked upfront.

Again I ask the question, what are the demographics of this past cruise?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Admiral

IBC:

I doubt whether a reputable travel agent would steer a customer based on demographics for the same reason I doubt a real estate agent would so steer a customer. It just is not good business and in some cases is illegal.

That said a real estate agent could drive you through a neighborhood and let you draw your own conclusions. Unfortunately, you cannot just drive through the ports to gain insight on the shipping neighborhood. Hmmm, but you can virtually do that drive by on the cruise boards where we freely trade advice and observations under the guise of free speech.

Were demographics a big issue, I would suggest someone hit the boards and talk to known cruisers. Surely the 20 something would find out a 12 day Cunard's Australian cruise is not going to have the same demographics as a 7 day Carnival New Orleans cruise.

IBC, you or I can steer folks to and from cruises because we have no skin in the game, nor a professional obligation to be impartial. I would not expect a travel agent to have such freedom. Now if cruiselines were to publish demographic statistics based on voluntary surveys, relating such information it would be a different matter and our travel agents could just point to the stats?

Personally, demographics don't mean much to me on a cruise as I can identify millions of kin in all races, colors, religions and nationalities. But if it means something to another cruiser than a query placed on the various cruise boards seems appropriate. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
There is only a tiny segment left of the American population that does anything intentionally racist. Most times it is probably more of a case of untentional cultural insensitivity. Ask Pat Riley from FOX News.

However, some members of various groups (including Euro-Americans) are not comfortable when they are the "odd" man. Other people it doesn't bother. For me, until someone else makes it an issue, it is not an issue in my book. A lot of the things I do for entertainment has me as the odd man. As long as no one else notices it for me, I am fine.

However, if this young lady was hoping to find a male companion on the cruise or was looking for someone who had a similar background, then the demographics are an issue.

It is no different than if a 20 something is looking to cruise in a singles group, it behoove the sales people at these organizations to steer or direct the 20 something away from HAL, etc because of the "general" demographics of the passengers. I think that is where VTG failed this minority female passenger. When she asked the question about ethnic makeup of their passengers, she could have/should have been told the demographics of who "usually" attends the VTG HAL cruises then re-directed to a Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL cruise out of NYC or L.A. where there would have been a better chance of getting more of what she was expecting. It seems as though (for whatever reason) this lady feels that VTG misled her. Perhaps their salespeople work on commission and the person she talked to didn't want to lose the sale. Who knows.

Also, a vast majority of Euro-Americans would not attend or participate in a function or event if they thought they would be the only "white skinned" people there. No way Jose, they ain't going. This woman felt the same way which is why she asked upfront.

Again I ask the question, what are the demographics of this past cruise?