Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Default VTG Cruise Sept. 29-Oct. 6, Carnival Glory

Is anyone planning to go with the Vacations To Go singles' group on this cruise? I'm thinking about booking it. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

I am booked on this cruise. I just received my t-shirt and info packet today in the mail.

For many reasons, I am so not feeling the usual excitement of this upcoming cruise. Just don't have the same sense of utopia that is usually present this close to cruise day.

Oh well, I guess I am just not a group cruise type person. I think this cruise lacks the mystique of my solo cruises where just getting on the ship, figuring out the layout and design, making cruise friends, and wondering around unrestrained is a big part of the cruise experience for me. I didn't realize how important that was until I traded it in for the chance to do a group cruise. I feel limited by being part of the VTG group cruise. I looked over the "schedule" and it is just too "organized and planned" for my taste. The sky is not the limit this time. Oh well, I will have fun but I also now know better for my winter cruise in Jan/Feb. If not with a significant other, then it is solo all the way from now on.

Anyway, there are probably close to 200 VTG cruisers on this ship by now and I am sure if you book it you will have a ball. I am an odd duck in the pond.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Yeoman

Hi Evo, you will have more fun if you book a Halloween cruise. VTG HOSTED SINGLES GROUPS has one cruise out of Miami to caribbean and the other cruise out of Los Angeles cruising to Mex-Riviera.

VTG Singles group plans lots of activities and you can pick and choose which ones you want to attend. You are not forced to attend any activities if you don't want to. There is a mis-conception that people are forced to attend all of the activties when that is not true at all.
People are FREE to not participate in any activities at all.
I personally and other cruisers who have cruised with VTG Singles can tell you how much fun they had. But I guess some people are loners and prefer to do their own thing and they are free to do so. Angelgal
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi Evo, you will have more fun if you book a Halloween cruise. VTG HOSTED SINGLES GROUPS has one cruise out of Miami to caribbean and the other cruise out of Los Angeles cruising to Mex-Riviera.

VTG Singles group plans lots of activities and you can pick and choose which ones you want to attend. You are not forced to attend any activities if you don't want to. There is a mis-conception that people are forced to attend all of the activties when that is not true at all.
I personally and other cruisers who have cruised with VTG Singles can tell you how much fun they had. But I guess some people are loners and prefer to do their own thing and they are free to do so. Angelgal
Angel, you do not have to defend VTG at every turn. You are truly their No. 1 cheerleader. If I suspect that you work for VTG. Please allow me my posts without you feeling a need to correct any "misconceptions" at every turn. There are no misconceptions. There are just different opinions.

Like I told the OP, she will have a blast if she books the cruise. I am a lot of things but a loner is definitely no one of them. Perhaps more of a maverick would better describe me. Not wanting the sense of a pre-packaged adventure does not make someone a loner. I beg to differ, if I am so allowed.

There are people who do not like all-inclusive resorts because of the lack of spontanuity and raw adventure that often accompanies the experience at these resorts. Many cruisers dislike traditional dining and rather go for freestyle dining for the same reason. When visting a city on vacation, some people opt for a group tour. Others chose to go off on their own to explore. Which is better? Both, depending on preference. Same goes for cruising.

Singles can be solo cruisers, cruisers in family/organizational groups, friends cruising together as well as people cruising in organized singles groups. No one style is better than the other. It is just personal preferences.

Again, if the OP is thinking about jumping onboard, then I say go for it. I am sure she will have a great time.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Halloween would have been my preference, but the timing is better now. So I'm officially booked and ready to set sail in two weeks. I know many of you have used VTG and other agencies, and your comments were very helpful in my decision. I figure going with a group is the best way to have fun as a single. Even if I don't like it, I got such a good deal on my cabin it's worth it!
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Boy

IBCRUIZIN, you have made already made up your mind about VTG, and you have yet to sail with them. I understand how your feelings were hurt in the Yahoo Group, and how that may have soured you on wanting to be around certain people. Can I make a suggestion? Keep an open mind, doing that will only add to your cruise experience, not take from it. Save your review of VTG for after the cruise, when you have fully experienced what they have to offer. I wouldn't reccomend somebody take advice on cruising with VTG from someone who has never cruised with VTG, AngelGal has been on many cruises, with VTG, and without. I am inclined to listen to her advice, her experiences on cruises. If you are set on having a lousy time with VTG on this cruise, you will. I have had fun on each of my past cruises, and will only enhance this cruise experience. that is just a suggestion, that and 3 bucks gets you a pretty good cup of coffee here in Seattle. I will do what I want, on this cruise, I'm sure I won't participate in everything VTG has planned, but I'm openminded, and some of there itinery sounds fun, for me anyways. Have the experience, then write about it. You'll seem alot more credible. Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:

Angel, you do not have to defend VTG at every turn. You are truly their No. 1 cheerleader. If I suspect that you work for VTG. Please allow me my posts without you feeling a need to correct any "misconceptions" at every turn. There are no misconceptions. There are just different opinions.

Like I told the OP, she will have a blast if she books the cruise. I am a lot of things but a loner is definitely no one of them. Perhaps more of a maverick would better describe me. Not wanting the sense of a pre-packaged adventure does not make someone a loner. I beg to differ, if I am so allowed.

There are people who do not like all-inclusive resorts because of the lack of spontanuity and raw adventure that often accompanies the experience at these resorts. Many cruisers dislike traditional dining and rather go for freestyle dining for the same reason. When visting a city on vacation, some people opt for a group tour. Others chose to go off on their own to explore. Which is better? Both, depending on preference. Same goes for cruising.

Singles can be solo cruisers, cruisers in family/organizational groups, friends cruising together as well as people cruising in organized singles groups. No one style is better than the other. It is just personal preferences.

Again, if the OP is thinking about jumping onboard, then I say go for it. I am sure she will have a great time.
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy
IBCRUIZIN, you have made already made up your mind about VTG, and you have yet to sail with them. I understand how your feelings were hurt in the Yahoo Group, and how that may have soured you on wanting to be around certain people. Can I make a suggestion? Keep an open mind, doing that will only add to your cruise experience, not take from it. Save your review of VTG for after the cruise, when you have fully experienced what they have to offer. I wouldn't reccomend somebody take advice on cruising with VTG from someone who has never cruised with VTG, AngelGal has been on many cruises, with VTG, and without. I am inclined to listen to her advice, her experiences on cruises. If you are set on having a lousy time with VTG on this cruise, you will. I have had fun on each of my past cruises, and will only enhance this cruise experience. that is just a suggestion, that and 3 bucks gets you a pretty good cup of coffee here in Seattle. I will do what I want, on this cruise, I'm sure I won't participate in everything VTG has planned, but I'm openminded, and some of there itinery sounds fun, for me anyways. Have the experience, then write about it. You'll seem alot more credible. Bill
Funny you should say that because upon closer inspection of the VTG Schedule for my cruise it appears as though VTG has just one extra activity scheduled each cruise day. Outside of a game a day and a few 1 hour cocktail parties, VTG is part of the same activities available to everyone on the cruise with the exception that it seems like they try to have as many of their cruisers sit together when possible.

I am somewhat open but I get very tired of Angelgal's need to "correct" everything I say about VTG. Outside of my first thread on the subject, upon re-inspection, you will see I have yet to say anything negative about VTG. However, I am allowed my opinion. She just can't seem to respect that it differs from hers. That I don't get.

Now I have posted a thread offering to share the schedule with anyone thinking of doing a singles group cruise. No takers so far. This is by for more useful than a lot of lip service on the fun that can be had. Fun doing what???? If anyone wants to see if a single group cruise is right for them, have a look at what the group has planned.

I am pleasantly impressed that there is NONE of the speed dating, match mating that Angelgal and a few others have mentioned. Maybe VTG has tuned down that aspect of their single group cruises. I don't know but none of that is on the agenda for the Glory. This is where I have always been a bit concerned. It is the thought of being in a pick up/hook up environment where people are led to believe that one of the main purposes of being there is to set upon the opposite (or same) gender, all the while drinking alcohol -- possibly heavily. Bad mix IMHO. And, unless I spend my cruise in my cabin, this mentality would spill out into any activity on the ship with other members of the group assuming that if you are also in this group you are available and looking. I am neither. Instead, what they seem to offer is simple benign fun activities very much along the line of what the ship offers. That I like. Perhaps Angelgal and a few others are the only ones doing speed dating while everyone else is playing Pictionary. I don't know. It is either that or VTG has polished their itineraries a bit. If someone is going on board hoping for more of a matching environment, I believe they will be disappointed with what VTG has planned. However, to each their own.

I am not trying to be credible. No one responded to this OP until I added a post. It sat for days without a respond until I added one. If you read my posts, I have yet to ask anyone to follow my lead. I don't have to. People just seem to flock to me which is why I can cruise solo and never be without ample companionship. I am sure I will be part of the center of much of the best and most fun cruise moments. Read my other threads and posts and you will see that I am not trying to sway anyone nor gain credibility. My neighborhood supermarket does not accept payment in the form of credibility.

Now VTG gives the best prices and is pretty comparable to what the cruiselines offer directly. Therefore, the singles cruise is not a bad deal. However, some other organizations that do single cruises charge a bit more. If these other organizations are not offering more than what VTG is offering or significantly more activity, then I don't think a single group cruise is worth the added expense. However, until someone puts up (or shuts up) a list of actual events and activities as compared to the ship's regular slate of activities, the newbie will not be able to make a fair comparison.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_501
Quote:

Halloween would have been my preference, but the timing is better now. So I'm officially booked and ready to set sail in two weeks. I know many of you have used VTG and other agencies, and your comments were very helpful in my decision. I figure going with a group is the best way to have fun as a single. Even if I don't like it, I got such a good deal on my cabin it's worth it!
Good for you Evon. What type of cabin did you pick? Are you solo in the cabin or signed up for a roomie?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Yeoman

Hi Evo, you are going to have a BLAST!! I am really happy for you. Please post a cruise review of the VTG Singles Group when you return.
I know you will want to book another cruise in the future with VTG because you will develope friendships and have so much fun that you will want to see and meet up with your new cruiser friends again. Angelgal

Hey IBCRUISEN, I am sorry that I bother you a lot for being so positive about VTG Singles but I can't help it because it is a wonderful experience for most of us who have cruised with VTG several times.
My close friends here on this message board who have cruised with me know for a fact that I don't work for VTG. I live in California and VTG is located in Houston, Texas and all of their employees live in Texas.

If I wanted to.... I could go work for Princess cruiseline here in Valencia, Calif. But I don't need to work any more since I retired as a college professor who has worked at UCLA, and at L.A. Community Colleges for many years. I am finished with working for money unless I get a job working as a movie/T.V. script writer in Hollywood. I have lots of friends who work in the entertainment business in Hollywood. I may decide to go back and hang out with my Hollywood friends and then you will never see me again on this message board. I used to hang around with movie stars for many years and then I lost interest but I am seriously considering going back and hanging out with them again. I do miss my friends who work in the entertainment business. Presently, I am writing a book on my cruise experiences with another writer who is writing about Cruise stories and other travel stories. We both plan to write about our own experiences with traveling and have the book published soon. He is also a retired Psychology professor. I am having so much fun.

I REALLY LIKE YOU IBCRUISEN.... You can say whatever you want about me because it doesn't bother me at all because I am a positive person with high self esteem and it is really hard to bring me down when I feel so good about myself. I will pray that you have a wonderful time on your Sept. Cruise. Have fun, Angelgal, I hang out with Angels.
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Beginner

I am cruising solo, just a regular inside stateroom. This will be my third Carnival cruise, but first in nearly six years. Honestly I like the inside cabins because they're great places to sleep! That's about all I do in my cabin, so I never had much need for a balcony.

Angel, the one thing I have noticed about cruising (that differs from land-base vacations) is that EVERYONE'S having a good time, laid back, care-free... I can only imagine what the VTG group will be like. I'm sure I'll have an awesome trip and meet lots of people, inside and outside the group. Who knows... if things go REALLY well I might just end booking a Halloween cruise too!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good for you Evon. What type of cabin did you pick? Are you solo in the cabin or signed up for a roomie?
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I am cruising solo, just a regular inside stateroom. This will be my third Carnival cruise, but first in nearly six years. Honestly I like the inside cabins because they're great places to sleep! That's about all I do in my cabin, so I never had much need for a balcony.

Angel, the one thing I have noticed about cruising (that differs from land-base vacations) is that EVERYONE'S having a good time, laid back, care-free... I can only imagine what the VTG group will be like. I'm sure I'll have an awesome trip and meet lots of people, inside and outside the group. Who knows... if things go REALLY well I might just end booking a Halloween cruise too!!!
I agree about the inside cabins. I too have an inside cabin. In fact, Carnival upgrade me from a 4A guaranteed to a 4D. At the point that I got this cabin which was in a prime location, I called VTG and told them to advise Carnival that, unless I was going to be put in a balcony cabin, not to upgrade me any further. A window is useless to me. All that it will do is allow the sun into my cabin in the morning (or afternoon) and disturb my beauty rest!!!!!!

Oh well just 13 more days to go.

By the way Evo, my real world name is Netta. I am Caribbean American with dredlocks (they will be braided up) with a gap between my front teeth. Look for me on the ship some time, say Howdy!!! and we can toast our foo-foo's to happy sailing!!!!

I will surely be in the middle of the party group and the fun set!!! Hope to see you there. If not. . . .

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Oh well, I guess I am just not a group cruise type person. I think this cruise lacks the mystique of my solo cruises where just getting on the ship, figuring out the layout and design, making cruise friends, and wondering around unrestrained is a big part of the cruise experience for me. I didn't realize how important that was until I traded it in for the chance to do a group cruise. I feel limited by being part of the VTG group cruise. I looked over the "schedule" and it is just too "organized and planned" for my taste. The sky is not the limit this time. Oh well, I will have fun but I also now know better for my winter cruise in Jan/Feb. If not with a significant other, then it is solo all the way from now on.
** Deleted due to confrontational content**

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE GROUP!!! IT IS ENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE WHETHER YOU PARTICIPATE OR EVEN MEET ANYONE ELSE IN THE GROUP!!! **Deleted due to confrontational content**

I AM NOT TRYING TO BASH YOU OR SOUND RUDE BUT THE ONLY THING THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS TRYING TO GET THROUGH TO YOU IS THAT BEING PART OF THE VTG GROUP DOES NOT HAVE TO TIE YOU DOWN. YOU CAN DO THIS CRUISE EXACTLY LIKE EVERY OTHER CRUISE. THE ONLY TIME THAT YOU WILL REALLY HAVE TO BE "PART" OF THE GROUP IS AT DINNER, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CAN SIT WITH A DIFFERENT GROUP OF SINGLES EVERY NIGHT.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yeoman

Hi Paul, singles can choose to sit outside of the singles groups' tables by asking the table schedule supervisor to move them to a table with other passengers who are not part of the singles group. Plus, they can also be moved to an early dinner time if there is space in the early dinner time restaurant.
I have noticed in my VTG singles cruises that not everybody shows up for dinner. They must be eating dinner at the Buffet.

I am truly looking foreward to cruising on the Golden Princess for Halloween out of L.A. It is going to be a new experience for the vtg singles who will also have the option of eating dinner at different THEME RESTAURANTS. I am looking foreward to eating at the Mexican and also at the Asian restaurant. I will most likey find a group of single friends to eat dinner with me at those restaurants.
I LOVE PRINCESS CRUISE LINE!!! YEAH!!! Luci
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info Luci.

I can't wait until my next Princess cruise. I am an ELITE member so it's top of the line perks for me!!!
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOnJuly4th
Quote:
** Deleted due to confrontational content **

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE GROUP!!! IT IS ENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE WHETHER YOU PARTICIPATE OR EVEN MEET ANYONE ELSE IN THE GROUP!!! ** Deleted due to confrontational content **

I AM NOT TRYING TO BASH YOU OR SOUND RUDE BUT THE ONLY THING THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS TRYING TO GET THROUGH TO YOU IS THAT BEING PART OF THE VTG GROUP DOES NOT HAVE TO TIE YOU DOWN. YOU CAN DO THIS CRUISE EXACTLY LIKE EVERY OTHER CRUISE. THE ONLY TIME THAT YOU WILL REALLY HAVE TO BE "PART" OF THE GROUP IS AT DINNER, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CAN SIT WITH A DIFFERENT GROUP OF SINGLES EVERY NIGHT.
Anyway, as another one of my posts read, once I read the VTG schedule, I realized it was not busting at the seams with "rah, rah, rah, lets have fun activities." Nor does it have any of the speed dating, match up that I read on this forum. Either they have changed or the speed dating was a figment of imagination. In fact, it is almost identical to a regular cruise with the exception of one fun game a day to break the ice. Which means that it is a personal preference because you will more than likely have the same exact experience whether you go with a group or not. The only difference is that VTG gives you are a collection of cruise buddies without you having to seek them out on your own. It helps with someone who may be less outgoing or a bit shy. Purely personal preference. A word you are obviously unfamiliar with.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default VTG singles cruise Sept 29

Yes, I am going and we have a GREAT group!! JOAN M
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Yeoman

Hi Joan, How many singles are in your cruise?
Have a blast!! Angelgal/Luci
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Hi Joan, How many singles are in your cruise?
Have a blast!! Angelgal/Luci
As of last Friday, there were 170 signed up, according to VTG. Expecting 200 total. Sounds impressive to me...
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Passenger

That's a great sized group. Big enough so that you get lots of different people to mix and mingle with, yet small enough to be able to get to the bar and not have to wait too long for a drink!