Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Default Living Will

Just curious if any of you have a Living Will when you travel for long extended period. A wise friend said I should have one since I travel a lot. To be honest, I am not familar with the property legality. I heard if something were to happen to me (death), then my property will automatic go to the Government? Is this true even if my sibling has the legal deed(s) of my property/home? Any of you have any additional information on this?
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Yeoman

You should talk to an attorney. The singles message board is not the place for that type of discussion.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

edit
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

True. But if each cruise I have sailed averaged 2,000 passengers and I sailed about 15 times, that would be 30,000 passenger units of potential death exposure (assuming no duplicates). Out of that group one gentleman went off an emergency boat on the Mississippi (I'll assume he died).

The odds seem to me then to be 1 in 30,000 to bite the dust while cruising. About the same odds as dying from a fall or narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens] per the NSC.

That said, the odds probably vary slightly by cruise line. Carnival ships may have a higher chance for death because people there seem to have an elevated risk of falling overboard.

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
We never know when we will bite the dust in the middle of a cruise or traveling.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had one gentlemen pass away while snorkeling in Costa Maya on a RCCL cruise I was one. I was with someone on the ship that I met who spoke spanish and we were in the old fishing town where it happened right on the beach. We were right there when the rescue workers pulled the blanket over him. The whole thing was really sad because his wife had to get off the ship to assist in getting his body back to the US and one can only imagine how awlful that would be. My friends had a balcony and we saw that the Capt was there at the Gangway as she gathered her belongings and left the ship. Some ofter people traveling with them got off the ship as well and this was the last port of a 13 day cruise. After that cruise I realized even more how important insurance can be. If you die in port and not on the ship they will NOT put your body in the morque onboard to take back so that means you and your family are responsible and this can be expensive.
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Indeed return of a body is expensive as are medical bills incurred abroad or rescue bills. For divers there are varous insurance packages and the same is true for travelers. I would think the extrapolation I made earlier is relatively accurate and, while I am a aware that more than a few of the veteran cruisers on this board have seem a fellow passenger depart, the total mumber of passengers who have sailed with them is probably high.

One of the good things in scouting adult leadership is that beyond a certain age annual physicals are required. Diving leadership also requires physicals. Certain activities also require certain body weight height ratios because being very out of shape can prove deadly in certain activities, especially in remote areas or demanding environments.

Just a note - as the population ages, the need to have more people skilled in CPR and AED increases. Some of you might want to take a class, especailly as you will be seeing more and more AED units about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincev
We had one gentlemen pass away while snorkeling in Costa Maya on a RCCL cruise I was one. I was with someone on the ship that I met who spoke spanish and we were in the old fishing town where it happened right on the beach. We were right there when the rescue workers pulled the blanket over him. The whole thing was really sad because his wife had to get off the ship to assist in getting his body back to the US and one can only imagine how awlful that would be. My friends had a balcony and we saw that the Capt was there at the Gangway as she gathered her belongings and left the ship. Some ofter people traveling with them got off the ship as well and this was the last port of a 13 day cruise. After that cruise I realized even more how important insurance can be. If you die in port and not on the ship they will NOT put your body in the morque onboard to take back so that means you and your family are responsible and this can be expensive.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas