Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Guncowboy
Default First cruise questions and being single cost's

I am glad I found this site.

I have always flown directly to place of travel and have never been on a cruise before and find this website very informative on traveling Solo.

I just got back from Cancun on Sept 21, 2007 after a week in the sun.
and ready for another trip. I started searching for my FIRST cruise to go on in the next couple of weeks (October 2007) and VERY surprised of the cost difference traveling solo, I guess being single has it's cost's ...

Since I have Frequent Flyer miles that I can use to fly to any port for free(I’m in Texas), Do you have any recommendations on a certain port for the Eastern Caribbean?, (I’m looking for a 7-14 day cruise). Does the cruise lines have transportation from/to airport?

What kind of dress attire? I assume business casual is required for the restaurants?

If you get an ocean view or balcony is it worth the additional costs? Or is an interior room enough and most of your time would be on deck outside?

How expensive are the drinks (alcohol)?.

Any other costs besides drinks? How much can I expect to pay in addition to the cruise itself? (Excluding off ship costs and excursions).

Without scheduling one of the Single trips seen on VTG website, What can I expect in meeting other singles? Or do most travel with a companion?
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First cruise questions and being single cost's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncowboy
I am glad I found this site.

I have always flown directly to place of travel and have never been on a cruise before and find this website very informative on traveling Solo.

I just got back from Cancun on Sept 21, 2007 after a week in the sun.
and ready for another trip. I started searching for my FIRST cruise to go on in the next couple of weeks (October 2007) and VERY surprised of the cost difference traveling solo, I guess being single has it's cost's ...

Since I have Frequent Flyer miles that I can use to fly to any port for free(I’m in Texas), Do you have any recommendations on a certain port for the Eastern Caribbean?, (I’m looking for a 7-14 day cruise). Does the cruise lines have transportation from/to airport?

What kind of dress attire? I assume business casual is required for the restaurants?

If you get an ocean view or balcony is it worth the additional costs? Or is an interior room enough and most of your time would be on deck outside?

How expensive are the drinks (alcohol)?.

Any other costs besides drinks? How much can I expect to pay in addition to the cruise itself? (Excluding off ship costs and excursions).

Without scheduling one of the Single trips seen on VTG website, What can I expect in meeting other singles? Or do most travel with a companion?
Can't answer them all but here we go. Most answers are my personal opinion. . . . .

Most cruiselines charge double when you book solo as do most land vacations. However Carnival and Holland America will give solo passengers a break if they book the bottom category cabins on the ships. These cabins are inside cabins usually at the very front or back of the ship. I book them all the time and find that they work well for my purposes. Spending the extra money for a window that doesn't open is useless to me and I am not in the cabin enough to make it worth the extra $$ for a balcony cabin. However, it all depends on how much time you will spend in your cabin and whether not having a window bothers you.

If you have never done a cruise before, depending upon the cruiseline you select, you may be better with a 4 to 5 day cruise just to get the feel of being on a ship. Anything longer than that may burn you out before the cruise ends.

Every cruiseline tends to cater to a different type of passenger from blue collar to wealthy, young to very senior, partiers to bird watchers.

Cruising solo is the ultimate in self-indulgence because it is all about you. I highly recommend it.

Depending on the cruiseline, the drinks are comparable to a land resort.

Your bill at the end of the cruise will depend on your activities. Lots of drinking, gambling, etc will result in a high sail and sign balance. More reading and sleeping will be significantly cheaper.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yeoman

Please go to Cruisemates Singles Section and read all my articles on singles cruising, and I think most of your questions will be answered.

As for port of departure, I like Miami and always go a day or two before so I can enjoy Bayside and South Beach. Other ports, like Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral at Cape Canaveral have nothing close by.

But I really think you should opt for an organized singles cruise. Check out the Singles Calendar in the singles section.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Admiral

If you can wait until after 10/7 to make decision, I will be back from my first organized singles group cruise. I normally cruise solo but have taken the plunge for this next cruise.

I will be back with "A Solo Cruiser's Experience on a Single Group Cruise" report.

I am cautiously optimistic that it will be a good experience.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yeoman

Hi Cowboy, I was born in Houston, Texas but live in Los Angeles, Calif.

There is a port in Galveston, Texas, where you can take a cruise from.

Try to cruise on a 7 day cruise on a Carnival or Royal Carribean because they attract a younger crowd as compared to a 14day cruise that mostly attracts a older senior crowd.

A lot of us on this message board are all planning to cruise with a SINGLES GROUP for a Halloween cruise. It is the most fun ever!!
Halloween is super popular with us singles.
I am cruising with vacationstogo.com singles that is located in Houston, Texas, on the Golden Princess ship out of Los Angeles. Some of my friends are cruising out of Miami.

Please check out the SINGLES CALENDAR if you want to plan a future cruise. You have lots of options.
YOU SAVE A LOT OF MONEY BY doing the MATCH PROGRAM with a singles group. They will find you a roomie so you can save money.
I have saved lots of money that way for many years. Angelgal/Luci
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Default Hi Cowboy

I am new to this site as well. I am a travel agent for almost a year now. Just a side business. Over the years I have been on 9 cruises, never solo till now. (new concept for me!).
I can just pass along to you that going out of Miami Fl seems the cheapest route for a singles cruise. There is a great one leaving 12/30 for 7 nights on Carnival through the singlecruises.com site that I just inquired about today for rates. I may have to check it out myself.
Unsure when you are looking to go again? If you have flier miles then you can hop a plane and cruise either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami pretty inexpensively. I don't know Ft Worth (never been to Texas) but I have a friend moving to San Antonio!
If you need any cruise advice feel free to email me sunnbeachgrl@gmail
Smiles from Florida.
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Hey Cowboy guy:
Its sunnbeachgrl again. I just wanted to tell you that they emailed me right back. This Miami cruise is Carnival Valor. It leaves 12/30 and is a 7 night cruise. First to Bahamas and then USVI. I hear older singles do this at holidays cause they can afford the higher cabin costs versus the younger crowd which makes me wonder will anyone around my age go that time of the year? They assure me there is a mix. Not that it matters but it would be nice to meet new people and make friends. I get a travel agent rate so doesn't affect me so much. Drinks are like $5-$8 ea on any cruise. Depends what you drink and how much! Carnival is a "party" ship typically from my experience. I personally like less of a club party scene but since I am single again why not.... If you book through singlescruises they give you a badge to I.D. you with other singles. You have private tables and they sit you all together for 8 p.m. dining. You can go to the mixers and even some excursions just for the singles group. They even have a meet before the cruise party and dinner usually. I am seriously thinking about doing this particular cruise for NY's and hoping to meet up with someone like myself whom has never journeyed out on a cruise alone before. I hope to meet some people on this site who go at NY's. I have a son whom spends holidays with his dad for visitation so I go away since I am alone for holidays now. Best of luck to you on your first time.
You'll love it easy to get hooked.
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yeoman

Hey Beachgirl, I was on the Carnival Valor last year for New Years and there were lots of young singles, married couples, families, seniors, gays, etc. It will be a great mixure of people so I am sure you will have lots of fun.

THE DRESS IS MOSTLY SPORTS CASUAL for NEW YEARS since it will be a POOL PARTY EVENT outside. Angelgal

P.S. If you do decide to cruise on that date please tell the buffet manager to serve lots of GRAPES. The Latino cruisers believe that it is good luck to eat 12 grapes for New Years. I saw them get real happy when they found the bowl of grapes on the Buffet. Maybe all the cruise lines should be informed.