Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Default SINGLES/SOLOS/SINGLES/SOLOS

I am wondering if it is time for Cruisemate to break this Singles forum into two different forums. One that is primarily about Singles Cruises and another one for Solo cruises. They are two totally different experiences.

I have noticed on a couple of other cruise forum boards the two are separate.

I would love for Cruisemates to have a section just for tidbits of advice for those that are cruise solo. There are so many "did you know you could" tips that hardly ever get touched upon here.

Just a thought.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: SINGLES/SOLOS/SINGLES/SOLOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I am wondering if it is time for Cruisemate to break this Singles forum into two different forums. One that is primarily about Singles Cruises and another one for Solo cruises. They are two totally different experiences.

I would love for Cruisemates to have a section just for tidbits of advice for those that are cruise solo. There are so many "did you know you could" tips that hardly ever get touched upon here.

Just a thought.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I would love to see a "solo cruising tips" topic board.

Awesome idea!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
First Mate

hey cruzin.... i agree. good idea
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Moderators?? If you are out there, can us solos get our own forum?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

IBC:

I agree that a new section is needed.

BTW a solo cruiser, and fellow auditor, I met on the Statendam last year has done a book about Spontaneous Tourism. Seems there is a subset of us solo world travellers that are partial to going where the wind blows us. Author James 'Jamie' is about to make a weekend trip to Israel, a few weeks back I did a day trip (26 hours) to Maui, and my brother is always travelling somewhere around the globe on short notice. The common thread is that we have travelled so much in our lives on short business trips that we can be very efficient as tourists with compressed travel times. Some of us have perfected the art of living out of a suitcase and always have one packed and ready.

Spontaneous traveller, spontaneous tourist, escape artist, last minute traveller, adventurer, explorer - there are alot of names for us folks who seem to cluster in sports like motorcycling, mountain biking, climbing, bungi, scuba diving, sky diving and the like...

Quote:

Just a thought.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Just a thought.
I second that idea and what a great idea IBC. I just started traveling solo and have taken so far 3 cruises on my own and would love the idea for a special section for us. Mary49
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

Quote:

Just a thought.
Hi IBCRUIZIN,

This is an excellent idea, at the risk of stirring things up, which I'm not trying to do by any means, it may alleviate some of the past misunderstandings on this board.

Bill 8)
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:

Just a thought.
Hi IBCRUIZIN,

This is an excellent idea, at the risk of stirring things up, which I'm not trying to do by any means, it may alleviate some of the past misunderstandings on this board.

Bill 8)
You are not stirring up the pot and are absolutely correct. There are many many reasons why a person would chose to cruise alone. Not having to explain something that may not come across correctly on an internet forum board would be heavenly.

On my last cruise there was 9 diners at my dinner table of solo cruisers. Of the 9 of us, there were no two reasons for being alone that were the same. Each of us had our own reason for being solo and each of us enjoyed our cruise in our own way. There were two gentlemen at my table who were very socialable and chatty during dinner but whenever I saw them throughout the cruise, they were alone. They were not lonely but just seemed to enjoy the quiet and tranquility of sitting in a quiet location reading a book or looking out at the sea. I would join them for a few minutes of "how are you, are you enjoying your cruise" and then I would be off to find fun and adventure. They would return to their book or window watching, as happy alone as I was in the mix.

It would be nice to be able to talk in detail about our experiences without have to "thank you but no thank you because . . . " to the constant reminder that "you should really consider a singles cruise" pitch by single cruise enthusiasist.

There are just so many things about doing the solo cruiser act that could be learned from each other that I think this board is big enough to support a separate forum.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yeoman

I also agree that a SOLO SINGLES section would be great because the solo singles have lots of handy hints for the solo cruisers.

I personally truly enjoy the SINGLES GROUP CRUISES. I am a cheer leader for singles cruising with a group. The best thing that has ever happened in the history of cruising. There are presently lots of singles groups that we singles can choose from to cruise with a group. I totally love it and I am so happy to be part of a singles group.

I have been land traveling and cruising on ships with a singles group for many years. If it wasn't for that singles group I wouldn't have gone anywhere since I come from a sheltered life of family members who have always protected me and have been there for me.
When I travel with a singles group I know that the group leaders will handle any major problems I may have to face while traveling. They know who to call in case of an emergency. Plus, they keep an eye on me and they care about me. I have had that experience.
In all the years I have traveled with a singles group I have never had to face any major problems. I guess I have been lucky with my ANGELS and GOD taking care of me. Plus, I have created some travel friendships that are fun to stay in touch with them.

I like SOLO cruising too but prefer to cruise with a singles group. Angelgal
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

I think the newbies would not realize the difference between solo and singles cruising. Sometimes I tell people about booking with a group if meeting other singles is there goal and they want to increase their odds, then if they traveled solo. I enjoy cruising with a group, but I have also been considering some solo or non singles group cruises. For me the reason I go is to travel and and experiance new places, and activitys in the ports.

I have a very outgoing side and a quiet keep to myself side. I actually spent the first 3 days of my recent singles cruise trying to escape from would be suiters I was not interested in at all. It was getting on my nerves that some men cannot read body language. While some would say it's a compliment I was not amused. And while I like the group activitys at times between the group activitys and those offered on the ship, it's simply too much to do and frankly exhausting. Therefore cruising with friends or going solo is looking better to me. Though I have made some life long friends as a result of singles cruising.I would welcome another board for solo cruisers, as well.

Please note RCL has some great rates for solo cruisers now.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:26 AM
Yeoman

Hey Showcat, you know that you are free to do whatever you want on a Hosted Singles cruise. You don't need to participate in every activity unless you want to. You know that for a fact.

Solo cruising is super expensive and most of the cruisers are seniors and couples on most ships. That isn't any fun. Luci
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Kind of depends. Some of us were raised with older relatives so we enjoy the older folks. Agree soloing it can be expensive but Showcat hits it on the head that the reason for many of us to travel is mainly to experience new places and activities. I also do alot of quick scouting trips to check out places where I can throw my fish (kiddo) in the water. Never yet went on a cruise I did not enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal

Solo cruising is super expensive and most of the cruisers are seniors and couples on most ships. That isn't any fun. Luci
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If any of you have read my articles about solo cruising you probably know I am not a big fan of it for several reasons.

First of all, as a male I believe it is very difficult to meet new people on a ship, especially a large one, because most people are traveling with their family units and don't really want to include a single cruiser in their group.

You might sometimes meet the "right people" but as a solo male myself a few times, after trying to make conversation with a few different people and just getting odd looks, I just realized I didn't like trying to befriend strangers even though I actually wanted some company.

I do understand there are some men who might enjoy the solitude of a solo cruise as IBCruzin describes in her message above, but what worries me is a newbie male taking a cruise solo with the idea that he is going to meet lots of new people and have a very social time. Not likely to happen, to be honest with you.

There are probably some older men who cruise solo, but they can afford it, and they don't mind the solitude. I just think it is important to forwarn single men who are not cruise experienced what it can be like.

If they are actually single and thinking about their first cruise, I believe they should try a singles group cruise - keeping in mind they are free to not participate if they so choose, and to have a solo cabin even. The point is that there is a social connection there if they want it.

That's my 2 cents
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

[quote="IBCRUZIN'"]
I would love for Cruisemates to have a section just for tidbits of advice for those that are cruise solo. [quote]

What??? go to this page and scroll to the bottom, we have at least 10 articles on solo cruising:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/single/
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Would agree with Paul that the free, young, single and looking guys would be better served with a singles cruise. Women, being benerally more social, are likely to show up more with a singles group than as solos. However, as a dive pro, life guard and scouter, I don't get odd looks going solo or talking to folks, well, at least if folks don't know I am also an auditor.

Don't know who the "right" people are to meet on a cruise - Ms. Right, perhaps? Ships aren't really the best place to meet and mingle since they are heavily filled with couples. Better odds in your local supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
There are probably some older men who cruise solo, but they can afford it, and they don't mind the solitude. I just think it is important to forwarn single men who are not cruise experienced what it can be like.

If they are actually single and thinking about their first cruise, I believe they should try a singles group cruise - keeping in mind they are free to not participate if they so choose, and to have a solo cabin even. The point is that there is a social connection there if they want it.

That's my 2 cents
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
If any of you have read my articles about solo cruising you probably know I am not a big fan of it for several reasons.

First of all, as a male I believe it is very difficult to meet new people on a ship, especially a large one, because most people are traveling with their family units and don't really want to include a single cruiser in their group.

You might sometimes meet the "right people" but as a solo male myself a few times, after trying to make conversation with a few different people and just getting odd looks, I just realized I didn't like trying to befriend strangers even though I actually wanted some company.

I do understand there are some men who might enjoy the solitude of a solo cruise as IBCruzin describes in her message above, but what worries me is a newbie male taking a cruise solo with the idea that he is going to meet lots of new people and have a very social time. Not likely to happen, to be honest with you.

That's my 2 cents
My experiences, and possibly my expectations, have been different than yours. I am a 48 year old single man who travels solo most of the time and loves it. I'm not rich, I work hard every day and save my money for the trip. It's a great way to get away.

It's not my intent to hook-up on the cruise and I'm not looking to meet new lifelong friends. I look for a way to relax, to be pampered, to have good food served to me. I look for someone to make up my room for me. I look for itineraries that go to pleasant weather and have opportunities for fun excursions in port even though I like sea days more than port days. On a cruise I can relax and not worry about anything. I have no work, no phone to answer, no crisis to solve, no one imposing on me. It's an escape. And I believe that I deserve it. I work very hard and I have a lot of “real-life? going on.

I just got off the Carnival Miracle about two weeks ago. I had the time of my life. The service on the ship was absolutely perfect. Compared to real-life, I was treated like a king on the cruise. My waiters and stewards were friendly and helpful. I met a lot of very nice people everywhere I went. Some people that I just met on the cruise were so nice it was like we've known each other for years. I spoke to different people at breakfast and lunch everyday at my table. They were quite happy to talk to me; I think they just wanted to share what they did, how their vacation was going, and from there, we got to know each other. No, not I did not become best friends with everybody I sat with, but I did become friendly with a few people this way. I took excursions from the ship with people I had met. I met other people on the excursions. I was never lonely, but I was also never compelled to hang out with anyone.

The social connection is built into the cruise. It's there if you want it, but you are not forced into it. The deck parties, the contests, the bars, the games, everything built into the daily itineraries is social and you can do as much or as little as you choose. And this is where you meet the most people.

If the idea of the cruise is, as you wrote, to “meet lots of new people and have a very social time,? that is not a solo cruise, that is a singles cruise. I believe that misconception is exactly the reason the OP supported a separate section for solo cruisers.

Solo's may want to get away, singles might want to join in. That may be one big difference between the two.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Solo1959, well said. I love traveling solo also. I have been on 3 cruises so far and I really enjoy myself. Doing what you want; when you want.
We work; save our hard earned money every year and then excape for a week or so. Love it. Mary49
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't think we are in disagreement at all! All I said was *IF* a person is going a cruise as a solo expecting to meet a lot of new people and make friends then they need a reality check.

As long as you are happy in your solitude and feel comfortable among couples and families then I see no reason to even make it a separate topic. You all are meeting here anyway.

I think it is valuable for the person reading this board for the first time to ablre to see all side of the single cruiser condition in one place. If I made a solo cruiser board then I feel it would be an artificial segmentation of a topic, like if I made separate boards under the cruise lines for couples & families. They all have pretty much the same experiences and can learn from one another.

I also want the singles cruise group enthusiasts to be able to learn something from your solo cruisers about appreciating the solitude and enjoying their own company. I think some guys who go on singles cruise groups sometimes still don't connect with anyone, and they benefit from hearing your thoughts.

I can tell you, when I worked on the Norway there was a singles cruise company that came on at least once/month. I remember talking to one guy in the group - just because he looked so sad - and he admitted to me that he was desperate to meet a lifetime companion and had come on the cruise almost as a "last ditch effort." he said if he didn't meet someone on the cruise he "didn't know what he was going to do."

I felt really sad for him, but not as bad as he felt for himself. Loneliness is a tough emotion to deal with. Some people are much better at it than others, I believe, depending on what stage of life they are in or what they may have recently experienced.

But, if you are a solo cruiser and you regularly meet people on ships, I don't see why you wouldn't want to chat with some of the singles cruisers here - even if they tend to go in groups. It doesn't mean you couldn't meet them onboard if you want to (you just can't go to their activities).
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Yeoman

I totally agree with what Paul is saying about solo and singles group cruising. I have tried both and I prefer to be with a singles group because I am most likely to find a cruise buddy to hang out with most of the time and also hang out by myself when I want to be by myself.
I truly love the activities planned out for us singles when we cruise together. It isn't any fun looking in from the outside of the singles group because they do have rules that only singles who signed up with the singles group gets to participate in their activities.

I recently cruised solo and it was okay but not great. I met a senior single man who had three heart surgeries and wanted to keep me company but he couldn't keep up with me as far as dancing every song. He had to take a break more than dancing. He wasn't great company either.
Then I met another single senior man who was great company but he wanted to be alone because he was in the process of writing a book and wanted to be alone.
I didn't meet any single gals to hang out with because they all had their cruise buddies with them. The gals thought it was odd that I was cruising alone.
The ship was filled with retired seniors, families with babies, married couples. I would meet them during dinner and they were nice to talk with.

I did create a somewhat friendship with the people who liked to play Trivia. But that is the only time I would get to see them. The rest of the time I was totally alone. I am more of a singles group personality that likes to meet people.
There was a rude lady who said she wanted to eat breakfast alone with her husband. I said, "OK" and moved to another table. Sometimes when the married gals get jealous of me I have to stay quiet most of the time at dinner time because they are afraid I may pick up on their husband which is so silly of them. I prefer to have the married gal sit next to me at the dinner table than have their husband sitting next to me.
I don't consider myself beautiful but most women in my age group consider me a threat.
I had personal choice dinning on my cruise so sometimes I would choose to just sit by myself at dinner time than to have to sit with the married couples. Married couples can be friendly but only for the moment that I am eating with them. The retired seniors are sometimes fun to talk with but only for the moment that I am eating dinner with them.

That has been my personal experience. This is why I prefer to book with a singles group. I always have people to talk with when I want to spend time with them. It is nice being surrounded by other singles with a singles life-style like I have. Angelgal/Luci
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Still think solos and singles are different folk. Put a single guy looking for a hookup on a solo trip and he's the fish out of water. Put a solo gal writing a book in a singles cruise and she is the fish out of water. For that matter, couples and families are seperate, too.

BTDT as a couple on a cruise, with extended family on a cruise, as dad with kiddo on a cruise, as a guest lecturer on a cruise, and solo on a cruise. Have met shut-ins who shut the world out, such as working authors, business owners or executives momentarily escaping 24x7 (virtual slavery), those recovering from trama, such as the newly widowed or death-in-the-family folks, the sad folk Paul refers too, those with angst over growing old without a life companion, and the frustrated folks looking for love in all the wrong places (cruise ships aren't floating singles bars).

That said, traveling as a married couple (couples) and as dad with kiddo (families) is just not pretty much the same experience. Couples are about romance, kiddos are about safety and fun. Singles are about looking and hooking, solos are about running away to sea and having an adventure.

All us folks on planes, trains, automobiles and ships just don't have the same travel objectives. 8)

Quote:
I don't think we are in disagreement at all! All I said was *IF* a person is going a cruise as a solo expecting to meet a lot of new people and make friends then they need a reality check.

As long as you are happy in your solitude and feel comfortable among couples and families then I see no reason to even make it a separate topic. You all are meeting here anyway.

I think it is valuable for the person reading this board for the first time to ablre to see all side of the single cruiser condition in one place. If I made a solo cruiser board then I feel it would be an artificial segmentation of a topic, like if I made separate boards under the cruise lines for couples & families. They all have pretty much the same experiences and can learn from one another.

I also want the singles cruise group enthusiasts to be able to learn something from your solo cruisers about appreciating the solitude and enjoying their own company. I think some guys who go on singles cruise groups sometimes still don't connect with anyone, and they benefit from hearing your thoughts.

I can tell you, when I worked on the Norway there was a singles cruise company that came on at least once/month. I remember talking to one guy in the group - just because he looked so sad - and he admitted to me that he was desperate to meet a lifetime companion and had come on the cruise almost as a "last ditch effort." he said if he didn't meet someone on the cruise he "didn't know what he was going to do."

I felt really sad for him, but not as bad as he felt for himself. Loneliness is a tough emotion to deal with. Some people are much better at it than others, I believe, depending on what stage of life they are in or what they may have recently experienced.

But, if you are a solo cruiser and you regularly meet people on ships, I don't see why you wouldn't want to chat with some of the singles cruisers here - even if they tend to go in groups. It doesn't mean you couldn't meet them onboard if you want to (you just can't go to their activities).
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Default Single/Solo Confusion.........

Having read the posts on this forum, I'm a bit confused. Is there a right answer when it comes to the choice, or is it just one man's/woman's opinion ? I'm travelling on my first cruise ever and solo. Have I bitten off more than I can chew ? I'm a young 58 yr. old guy who isn't necessarily looking to "hook-up", but female companionship would certainly be welcome. My TA advised me that for the length of time I was going to be cruising,(8 days) the Liberty would give me a good flavor of what cruising is like. At least on Carnival. Was I given bad info ? I've travelled alone many times before and never had trouble meeting people. I guess my question is, could I be considered some type of pariah or can I fit in ?
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Yeoman

Hey Diver guy, I totally agree with everything you have said too.

When I go cruising I like to meet up with people who are compatiable with me. This is why I like to go cruising with the singles groups because I can meet up with future possible cabin mates. I think the prices of cruises are going to go up soon and I may need to get a compatiable cabin mate to save some money.
I truly enjoy meeting as many singles as possible on my group cruises.
I don't go looking for love or chasing men like IBC thinks I do. She sent me a private message saying I must be an older woman who goes on cruises to chase after men. I don't need to chase after men because the men on the singles cruises want to meet me after I spend time talking with them on the private vtg message boards. By the time I get on the cruise ship a lot of singles including the lurkers come up to me to say hello and they spend time with me. They thank me for all the advice I have provided them about cruising.
Even here on this message board there are some singles who want to meet me someday on a cruise. I also want to meet some of you singles on a cruise too. I will be meeting some of you on my Halloween cruise and on the Dec. 1st. cruise. It will be fun.

IBC is a strong SOLO cruiser and I truly believe she will return giving vtg singles group a bad rap because she has already stated that she is cruising as a SOLO cruiser doing her own thing with vtg singles group.
I am sure she will return with stories to tell us about her experience cruising as a solo looking into the singles group from the outside.
She will be returning Sunday from her cruise and by Monday I am sure she will write about her cruise experience. AG
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Single/Solo Confusion.........

Do the cruise, just be sure to attend the first singles mixer. Your TA is not off base and as you have travelled solo you should be fine. Solos may hang toward the library, track/promenade and gym, singles the bars, pools, and organized shipboard activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo17
Having read the posts on this forum, I'm a bit confused. Is there a right answer when it comes to the choice, or is it just one man's/woman's opinion ? I'm travelling on my first cruise ever and solo. Have I bitten off more than I can chew ? I'm a young 58 yr. old guy who isn't necessarily looking to "hook-up", but female companionship would certainly be welcome. My TA advised me that for the length of time I was going to be cruising,(8 days) the Liberty would give me a good flavor of what cruising is like. At least on Carnival. Was I given bad info ? I've travelled alone many times before and never had trouble meeting people. I guess my question is, could I be considered some type of pariah or can I fit in ?
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Single/Solo Confusion.........

Quote:
You are correct, there is no etched in stone answer to this question and it is completely dependent on the person giving you their opinion.

My personal opinion based on my own experience is that if you take an 8 day cruise on the Liberty, you will most likely have a wonderful time. You are only 58 years old, you say that you travel by yourself, you have no problem meeting people.

If you want to be social, there are many opportunities to do so comfortably. They are built into the daily schedule. If you want alone time, you can have that as well. If you are traveling by yourself, there is no pressure to participate, to join in, or do do anything. But if you do, then you will meet some very nice people. They are all there to have a good time. They all expect to talk to new people. If you are open and friendly, they will be as well. Angelgal wrote that she was able to meet people during the trivia games, but didn't see them afterwards, for me that's a plus. We are all different.

But, as far as meeting a lady friend.... It might happen, it might not. If that is the one reason you are going, you will be happier if you stay home. If making best friends with people and staying in touch for ever is a goal, you may be disappointed.

However, you will meet plenty of friendly people, you will feel welcomed and comfortable participating in any of the activities (except maybe the newly wed game, lol). Your dining companions are a good resource, people from the message board roll calls are a good resource, people from RIGHT HERE are a good resource.

Your cruise will be a nice vacation, good food, excellent service. Expect that much. Do not go for the purpose of meeting someone special. But do go for a great time.
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Diver & solo, thanks for the advice and info. I feel a bit more comfortable in my choice & time of travel.

Bill
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Diver & solo, thanks for the advice and info. I feel a bit more comfortable in my choice & time of travel.

Bill
I am back from the Singles Cruise!!!!!!!

Bill, you will have a blast. There are many, many, many women on the Carnival ships who are not solo cruisers but are on the ship with friends and family thus making they quite available for non-committed companionship throughout your cruise. The best place to strike up friendships is on the Lido Deck or the Promenade Deck. Solo men are almost never alone for lone unless they want to be.

I am going to start a quick thread on my "solo cruiser's experience on a singles group cruise." However to put it quickly, it was by far more isolating than any solo cruise I have ever taken.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:

When I go cruising I like to meet up with people who are compatiable with me. This is why I like to go cruising with the singles groups because I can meet up with future possible cabin mates. I think the prices of cruises are going to go up soon and I may need to get a compatiable cabin mate to save some money.
I truly enjoy meeting as many singles as possible on my group cruises.
I don't go looking for love or chasing men like IBC thinks I do. She sent me a private message saying I must be an older woman who goes on cruises to chase after men. I don't need to chase after men because the men on the singles cruises want to meet me after I spend time talking with them on the private vtg message boards. By the time I get on the cruise ship a lot of singles including the lurkers come up to me to say hello and they spend time with me. They thank me for all the advice I have provided them about cruising.
Even here on this message board there are some singles who want to meet me someday on a cruise. I also want to meet some of you singles on a cruise too. I will be meeting some of you on my Halloween cruise and on the Dec. 1st. cruise. It will be fun.

IBC is a strong SOLO cruiser and I truly believe she will return giving vtg singles group a bad rap because she has already stated that she is cruising as a SOLO cruiser doing her own thing with vtg singles group.
I am sure she will return with stories to tell us about her experience cruising as a solo looking into the singles group from the outside.
She will be returning Sunday from her cruise and by Monday I am sure she will write about her cruise experience. AG
I am back now and just checking the board before I go to bed.

Yes, AG, I have stories to tell. I will get to them as the need arises.

Will I do another single group cruise. Highly unlikely. It is just not my cup of tea. VTG did an excellent job of organizing and planning fun events and the hosts were excellent. I have nothing bad to say about VTG. However, the nature of these VTG singles cruises is where they fall short (not the fault of VTG). Without going into too detail, I have never seen behavior like what I witnessed during this cruise. It was bizarre. Almost twilight zone.

There were 167 people on this cruise. Of that number, not less than 120 or more "managed" to get into instant, hot and heavy, "oh so committed" weeklong relationships (many within hours of entering the ship). The first meet and greet was not to be believed!!!! Another member of the group labeled it the "Running of the Bulls" Hahahahahahaha! By the first night's dinner, many of the group were already coupled off and tried to behave as through they were actual couples rather than strangers who just met. So bizarre. Kind of like Match.dot on steroids!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha

The people on this group (especially the women) were decidedly older than I would have expected. I am 49 years old and was one of the youngest in the pack -- and this was on Carnival. I doubt if there was 15 people in the group younger than me. For a man under 50, I would not recommend a VTG singles cruise unless he is into older women well past their prime (and very aggressive). Most of the women were well north of 55 with many having fond memories of their 60th birthday.

and I will stop there for now.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Yeoman

[quote="IBCRUZIN'"]
Quote:

"The people on this group (especially the women) were decidedly older than I would have expected. I am 49 years old and was one of the youngest in the pack -- and this was on Carnival. I doubt if there was 15 people in the group younger than me. For a man under 50, I would not recommend a VTG singles cruise unless he is into older women well past their prime (and very aggressive). Most of the women were well north of 55 with many having fond memories of their 60th birthday.

and I will stop there for now."

You just described her!!!!! !!!~!!!!!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I will respond to this in detail. I am a solo cruiser. I just got back from my first "singles group" cruise last night. This was by far the most isolating experience of all of my cruises. I have met many people on my solo cruisers and made friendships that have lasted years. In fact, on my return yesterday, one of the people I met in May on my solo on the Liberty met me at the dock, picked me up and drove me all around and to several beaches before we had a late lunch and she dropped me back off at the airport. In contrast, I didn't meet any one on this cruise that I would consider contacting after the cruise. There was just not enough comraderie and good times.

I am not on the ship to mate or hook up. I enjoy cruises because of all the colorful array of people that you meet onboard. Since my conversation is so benign and respectful to all, it doesn't really matter a person's marital status, love life situation, family composition or who they got on the ship with. I can sit on the Lido Deck and share a table with anyone and we can enjoy innocent conversation as we people watch and enjoy the activities. The same with the dance club. I know I am returning to my cabin alone so when I dance with a man (or woman), it doesn't matter who they are on the ship with. I am not going to do or say anything that cannot be said in front of their spouse or family. As a result of this, I am always warmly welcome to any table or situation on these ships.

And then there are VTG single cruises . . . . . . .

Simply put, this cruise was all about meet up to hook up. Most of the people in this particular group had no interest in anything other than hooking up. For purposes of socializing, a single person might as well as cruise with a group of honeymooners. Even that may have been an improvement. The majority of these people hooked up on the first night or at least by the second night. Mission accomplished, they had no interest in anyone else in the group other than to parade around like honeymooners in love. The women in these situations were too insecure to allow their chosen mate to socialize naturally in a group setting so most of these couplings would sit off to the side by themselves with a definite "you are not invited to be around us" attitude. The men who found themselves in this position were so pressed to "prove" their "devotion" that they were afraid to talk to any of the other women and were not really given enough breathing room to bond with any of the men for fear of making their "new sweetie" feel bad. The newly coupled women were threatened by any sort of attention paid to other women by their new "Honeys".

Many of the people (women) in this group would only join others long enough to extract their intented target. After that, it was sit off the side because we are a couple now.

I danced a lot with an older gentleman during the first night of the cruise in the dance club. By the second night, when I approached him to dance with me (purely club fun), he informed me he could not dance with me because he was "with someone". I looked at him and laughed out loud in his face because he had to have been 70 if he was a day. I told him, "You are sleeping with her. You will only get to dance with me!!" He didn't speak to me for the rest of the cruise. Hahahahahahaha

That was the flavor of the group.

By midway through the cruise, most of the men that were not entwined in some woman's web were so shell shocked and skiddish that they were afraid to talk to anyone.

Then came the breakups. What started out as a happy group was corrupted by the unsuccessful coupling that went on and now this person was ducking that person and that person was looking for this person and getting angry at everyone because they think someone else is spending time with their honey which is why they can't find them. It was surreal!!!

There was also a small contingent of women in the group who were just hopping in and out of the bed with a whole collection of different men. And then these same men would hit on another woman and are now afraid that the new woman will find out he is (was) sleeping with the other chick. Therefore, he had to keep his distance for fear that the two women would find out about each other. It was a mess!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if a man wants to get guaranteed laid on a ship, take a VTG singles cruise. However, you will probably end up with someone well north of 55. If a woman just wants a boyfriend for a week, then this is the way to go and I would suggest you aggressively grab one during the Running of the Bulls (a.k.a The First Meet and Greet).

On the other hand, if a man likes a bit of spontanuity and wants things to progress in a more natural way without any expectations, skip the VTG singles cruise. Also, if he wants to meet someone younger than 60, he would do a lot better solo or in some other type of group cruise. The "available" women in this VTG group were a bit long in the tooth.

Now if these single cruises offer a better price than you can get on your own, go for it. Their activities are fun. However by halfway through the cruise, I pretty much lost interest in attending all but the open bar events because there was just too much tension, drama and not enough comraderie for my taste.

I found my fun bunch outside the group once I stopped trying to participate in "group" stuff.

Simply put, these people were not interested in socially in a group setting. They were ony interested in finding someone they could hook up with and pretend to be a couple, if only for a week.

It was actually a bit sad to watch because the participants were so old and still so very desparate.

In summary, a cruiser who is internet suavy and can compare cruise prices can do much better than all the drama offered by VTG singles cruises.

Side note, this is not the fault of VTG. They tried their darnest to have group fun activities.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes