Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Default Native Hawaiian Cruising in Hawaii

Aloha,
Anyone booked on NCL Pride of Aloha 11 Night Hawaii Cruise embarking in Honolulu on 12.01.07?
It would be nice to meet other singles on board. Let me know if you would like to get together and socialize.
I am a Native Hawaiian and could possibly help you with the local Hawaiian culture.
aloha, verna
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Where does the 11 night Honolulu cruise go? I thought those Hawaiian Island cruises were all 6-7 nights long.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Beginner

Default Aloha from Hawaii

Aloha e IBCRUIZIN',
This particular 11 Night cruise visits the major Hawaiian Islands and Fanning Island (Kiribati) in the South Pacific. There are other 7, 10 or 11 Night cruises which basically cruise only in the Hawaiian Islands.
aloha, verna
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohahula
Aloha e IBCRUIZIN',
This particular 11 Night cruise visits the major Hawaiian Islands and Fanning Island (Kiribati) in the South Pacific. There are other 7, 10 or 11 Night cruises which basically cruise only in the Hawaiian Islands.
aloha, verna
I was on Pride of America in Oct, 2005. It was a 7 night. It did not go to Fanning Island which I would have loved to visit.

I did POA solo and I believe I was the only solo cruiser on the entire ship. Between the passengers being quite a bit older and freestyle dining, it was not the best cruise for a solo passenger. However, I was still able to find my party posse and the sightseeing made up for whatever else was lacking.

Enjoy and happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be on Pride of America 12/1 and solo as usual. I've chatted with folks on another board that'll be on the cruise, but so far haven't come across any other solo cruisers. Somehow, I think freestyle dining will work for me better than traditional dining. I won't be on the ship much, but I've got my iPod and book ready to enjoy some great quiet alone time when onboard.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Default See You On the Ship

Aloha e BornToCruise,
Well, hopefully we'll be able to meet on board the ship.
I've never done Free Style dining however, it sounds totally doable.
Being from Hawaii, I'll probably not participate in the land excursions on the major Hawaiian islands. I would like to take the Fanning Island excursion.
aloha, verna
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Yeoman

Hi Everybody. I just returned from the NCL Star ship and had a great time.
NCL is in the habit of hiring Fanning Island employees. When you get on a ship that has their employees please try to say hello to them because they are wonderful people to meet.

When you get to Fanning Island be sure to get your passport stamped for fun because you really don't have to have your passport stamped by them. It will just be a momento for you to keep.

IT has been predicted that Fanning Island will be sinking into the ocean in approx. 20 years and the people will have to be relocated before it sinks.
Try to take them some small gifts for the children. A lot of cruisers take the kids some school supplies, toys and candies.
The Austrailians & NCL have been helping them built a church that is still in process of being built. You can donate at least one dollar to help out.
They do have a Tribe Leader who makes sure that gifts are distributed among their people. They know how to share their things.

I donated some money and I also took some of the soaps and small bottles of shampoo and lotions from the ship that was given to me each day on the ship. I gave it to a lady who then gave it to the tribe leader.
I found that interesting.
Next time I visit Karabiti, Fanning Island I plan to take them some practical gifts they can use. Angelgal
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yeoman

Hi, Born to cruise, I just returned from the NCL Star and I had a great time eating lots of good food on the personal choice system.

I would read the times that each restaurant was open and go eat there.
The AQUA Restaurant is super casual wear and you can dress sports casual.
The Blue Lagoon cafe has some great COMFORT FOODS and is open until 2 a.m.

The buffet always has food from 6:30 a.m. til 11 p.m.

The main dinning room is also open sitting. Since you are traveling SOLO just say that you want to SHARE A TABLE and you will be seated right away. They will love you for saying that.... plus you will meet some interesting people to eat with.

I ate lots of good foods. The Hawaii cruises offer plenty of fresh fruits on their cruises during most of the day at the buffet.

They also serve free ice cream at their ice cream station.

HAVE LOTS OF FUN EATING AND HAVING FUN EXPLORING THE ISLANDS.

Angelgal/Luci
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal
Hi, Born to cruise, I just returned from the NCL Star and I had a great time eating lots of good food on the personal choice system.

I would read the times that each restaurant was open and go eat there.
The AQUA Restaurant is super casual wear and you can dress sports casual.
The Blue Lagoon cafe has some great COMFORT FOODS and is open until 2 a.m.

The buffet always has food from 6:30 a.m. til 11 p.m.

The main dinning room is also open sitting. Since you are traveling SOLO just say that you want to SHARE A TABLE and you will be seated right away. They will love you for saying that.... plus you will meet some interesting people to eat with.

I ate lots of good foods. The Hawaii cruises offer plenty of fresh fruits on their cruises during most of the day at the buffet.

They also serve free ice cream at their ice cream station.

HAVE LOTS OF FUN EATING AND HAVING FUN EXPLORING THE ISLANDS.

Angelgal/Luci
Angelgal,

Glad you enjoyed Fanning Island as well, haven't you been there before? I would like to go back and perhaps I will now that the old Wind has been replaced. When I did go on the Wind one of the crew members bought a soccer ball in Hawaii and took it to the kids, they loved it. I rented a bike and rode it all around the island for close to 2 hours and that was the best way to see the place.

Welcome back
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Hi Vince, I had a great time on my cruise. People keep asking me which was my favorite cruise ship but that is not a fair question because there is always a special memory from each cruise ship. I plan to give that answer from now on.

That was a great idea of riding a bike around Fanning Island.

The people are so poor and lack so many things that we take for granted.
It was a great idea to take them a soccer ball.
I think next time I visit I will take them some small balls to play with for the small children.

I am the kind of person that knows that I will return to the ports that I have visited again in my future. So yes, some day I will return to Fanning Island. Angelgal/Luci