Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Beginner

Default single ladies have question please

Hi,
First off what a great website. I am brand new to this and it is just amazing the amount of information that is offered.
We are two singles ladies planning a January/February cruise for 7 days.
We have never cruised before and are looking for suggestions on cruiselines & ports. We love to shop and lay on the beach; these are are cruise priorities. So we are looking for ports that will have good shopping and safe beaches.
After reviewing your site it looks like Carnival or Royal Carribean fit us best. We also want to try the Carribean so any suggestions regarding ports?
I looked at one itinerary and it left from San Juan and went to Babados, Curaco, Aruba, etc and it looked great but you folks are the experts so any help would be appreciated.
Bye
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: single ladies have question please

Gals:

One tip - your total cost will likely be higher leaving out of San Juan than say Florida.

Tip two - use the *www.vacationstogo.com* website to plug in your dates and desired lines and see comparable cruises.

For the price, check the Carnival Triumph. Trust me on this - hard to find a better beach, safer than Half Moon Cay and the rest of the locations on the itinerary also have good beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareng1967
Hi,
First off what a great website. I am brand new to this and it is just amazing the amount of information that is offered.
We are two singles ladies planning a January/February cruise for 7 days.
We have never cruised before and are looking for suggestions on cruiselines & ports. We love to shop and lay on the beach; these are are cruise priorities. So we are looking for ports that will have good shopping and safe beaches.
After reviewing your site it looks like Carnival or Royal Carribean fit us best. We also want to try the Carribean so any suggestions regarding ports?
I looked at one itinerary and it left from San Juan and went to Babados, Curaco, Aruba, etc and it looked great but you folks are the experts so any help would be appreciated.
Bye
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks for replying but port & itinerary are priorities; price is not a consideration.
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Carnival's Triump is for a comparable price tier, assuming you are already considering her sister, Destiny. I would say her itinerary is more beach and shopping friendly unless you are looking for delftware in the Antilles. If embarking from the port of San Juan is your constraint, then Destiny is your only choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareng1967
Thanks for replying but port & itinerary are priorities; price is not a consideration.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Admiral

I have thoroughly enjoyed the beaches on Barbardos (the best), Antigua, St. Thomas and Aruba.

I am pretty Carnival loyal because their product is pretty consistent across their fleet and has the high energy that I like.

If cost is a factor, Carnival is generally a bit less expensive than the others with RCCL a close second.

I don't know your age but do a little research. Expedia.com is good for finding out actual cruise prices without having to call anyone (something that is required to get a firm price at VTG) and at the bottom of each price quote is a very detailed review/summation of each ship (regardless of the cruiseline). It is a great first step in trying figure out which line is best suited for you ladies, the price range, itinerary, etc.

After you have narrowed your choices, then you just either book with teh cruiseline directly, use a TA or go with one of the many reputable internet websites that sell for about the same price as the cruise line directly (sometimes less).

Whatever you choose, wherever you go, . . .

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Admiral

IBC:

Half Moon Cay is the best of the private island beaches IMHO. Some Carnival and some HAL ships stop there. Access is by tender. Reef balls (artificial fish habitats) lie offshore for snorkelers. 8)

Dave
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
IBC:

Half Moon Cay is the best of the private island beaches IMHO. Some Carnival and some HAL ships stop there. Access is by tender. Reef balls (artificial fish habitats) lie offshore for snorkelers. 8)

Dave
Never been there. Will add it to my "must visit" list. I also enjoyed Labadee, Haiti, private RCCL beach

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yeoman

Hi Karen, I think whatever ship you choose you will be super happy. We are all different in our likes and dislikes. I have also noticed that some ships were great on my first cruise and then on my third time on the ship things had changed. So it is best to make your own choice of a ship based on what you are both looking for in a cruise and you will have a great time. Angelgal
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yeoman

You can also browse through Cruisemates for reviews of different ships by passengers. Those are always interesting...and very helpful in planning your cruise.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Default Good advices

Hi Ladies, If it's great shopping you are looking for, in the Caribbean you would do well to book a cruise with a day in St. Thomas. The shopping is excellent and the beach at Magens Bay is gorgeous. Also, Grand Cayman has great shopping as well and Seven Mile Beach is beautiful and safe. Please do yourself a favor and skip Carnival. Celebrity is great for singles in the Caribbean. Also, Princess is a fun one.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would agree and Carnival Triumph is the way to go. I don't know if any other Carnival ships will hit the same four ports (HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk), but the triumph is doing that route for now. I think Carnival Liberty is going to do that route too, but when, not positive.

I just got off the Triumph two weeks ago and I can tell you I have a marvelous time, and I cruised solo (no one to bug while creeping into the cabin!). If you are looking for beaches you CANNOT beat the beach at Half Moon Cay--it is amazing. I can safely say that the I wish I could stay here forever bar on the beach is a statement I would like to say about the isnald itself--paradise!!!! St Thomas was gorgeous, San Juan was better than I expected, and lastly, Grand Turk was not too shabby! The beach at Grand Turk was nice, but it did have a fair amount of shells, coral, and other items any beachcomber would want to find. I heard the beach further up was nicer, but the beach by the pier was very popular.

If ports and beaches ar important than the itinerary that the Triumph does will please you. Carnival Liberty doesn't pick up that route until April of 2008 (I just checked).

Holiday 1991
Victory 1/2007
Triumph 9/2007
Conquest 2/2008
Alaska 2008? Panama 2008? not sure yet...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....