Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Default The Rumors Were True

:evil: Unfortunately, the rumors are true. Carnival has decided to stick it to the solo cruisers by charging them 200% of not only most cabin fares but also the port charges, effective 09/29/07 for all cruises that begin after 12/01/07. Previously they only charged a solo for one port fee, using the theory that they charged port charges by the person and not the cabin occupancy. :evil:

I tried to book the John Heald Bloggers cruise today and was given a cost of $719. After not receiving my confirmation, I sent an email to the TA and was told over the phone about the new port charge policy at Carnival. I even called Carnival myself and was told the particulars. It seems as though they want to make a few extra dollars off of solo cruisers who are already paying more because they occupy a cabin alone. (Spending more on Sail and Sign too -- if I am any example)

Well it is not the money but the principal (part of it is the money). Therefore, I went looking for another cruise and found that, as it now stands, many of Carnivals cruises are now more costly for solos than RCCL and in a few cases, even Century.

Hence, I found a 4 nighter on RCCL Navigator for $425. I booked it. I will now look for a cheapie last minute 3, 4 or 5 nighter to join with this one and do a b2b (any cruiseline that ports near the Navigator). If not, this is a good short test run for RCCL.

Truth be told, I have been on so many of Carnival's ships that it is all starting to be the same ole thing. My last cruise on the Glory lacked some spark because the ship is a twin to my Liberty cruise right down to the same identical performancers, comedians, same jokes, tricks, songs, and show productions.

I figured that my cruise on the Freedom would be another identical twin but for the price of $719 on a brand new ship, what the heck.

In all honesty, I have been wanting to try RCCL, Century, NCL and Princess (maybe not Princess) out for a while and this may be just the motivation to make me do it.

Also, RCCL does not charge 200% for their bottom category cabins for a solo. They were only charging 150% for this particular cruise and many of their others. ($249 cruise went solo for $379 plus tax)

Carnival is gonna lost a few customers because of this new policy. Oh well.

I am not sure of the logic of alienating a market that you had almost exclusivity to while RCCL has finally decided to try to woo them away from you. Makes no sense. It seems as though no one in the Carnival Camp was watching RCCL but the RCCL Camp was surely watching Carnival.

I guess I will never become platinum now

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
First Mate

There's a workaround for this problem, but I am afraid to share it.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCalBear
send me a pm.

However, I just looked at Regal Majesty Cruiseship. It is the little cruiseship that does 2 days to the Bahamas for less than $200. I may add that to my RCCL cruise. Kill two birds with one stone. That gives me 6 cruise days and one day to spend in South Beach just chilling out.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Passenger

Default solo cheaper on RCCL

I called VTG yesterday. Maybe because of the state I live in (sc) I got a great price. (they called it a residence savings) For Feb, on the Maj. of the Seas, I could get a tiny 1A int. cabin for a total cost of $305 or an OV cabin for $385. I couldn't believe it!!!! This is 4 nts out of Miami. I have been on RCCL and Carnival before. RCCL is definitely a few notches up. I am going to book this one for April 14, 08. Hope to see some more solos onboard.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: solo cheaper on RCCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet
I called VTG yesterday. Maybe because of the state I live in (sc) I got a great price. (they called it a residence savings) For Feb, on the Maj. of the Seas, I could get a tiny 1A int. cabin for a total cost of $305 or an OV cabin for $385. I couldn't believe it!!!! This is 4 nts out of Miami. I have been on RCCL and Carnival before. RCCL is definitely a few notches up. I am going to book this one for April 14, 08. Hope to see some more solos onboard.
Wow, great price. I will go do some more rccl shopping.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
send me a pm.

However, I just looked at Regal Majesty Cruiseship. It is the little cruiseship that does 2 days to the Bahamas for less than $200. I may add that to my RCCL cruise. Kill two birds with one stone. That gives me 6 cruise days and one day to spend in South Beach just chilling out.
Unfortunately, I cannot share this info. I do not want this info spread out like a virus. I hope you understand my position.
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
send me a pm.

Unfortunately, I cannot share this info. I do not want this info spread out like a virus. I hope you understand my position.
Absolutely.

No problem. I think I am ready to venture out and try a few other cruiselines.

I even investigated the two nighters that Imperial Regal offers from Miami to Nassau. They are a steal and may be the perfect add-on to my 4 nighter with RCCL.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Cal bear, If you refuse to share it, then why even mention it ?? Thats pretty selfish if you choose to mention the workaround and not share, or just plain stupid in my book. I guess you need the ego feed to let everyone know that you know a way around it but refuse to say. Just keep it to yourself next time.
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan910
Cal bear, If you refuse to share it, then why even mention it ?? Thats pretty selfish if you choose to mention the workaround and not share, or just plain stupid in my book. I guess you need the ego feed to let everyone know that you know a way around it but refuse to say. Just keep it to yourself next time.
Well said Bryan910!!!!! Mary49
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
First Mate

please cal-bear, how do you beat the system? i don't think so.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin c
please cal-bear, how do you beat the system? i don't think so.
He doesn't beat the system. There is no beating the system. He just does like the rest of us and wait for the price to drop.

The workaround is to wait until the price goes down. Then it won't matter how much they charge for port charges because you have gotten a great deal anyway.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would go back and check again as to how much difference it is. I am planning a solo cruise in Sept 2008 on Liberty. The single rate for 8D balcony ifor cruise/air is 2287 (plus tax/fees). This works out to 157% if single fare (1458 each person), not 200%. Perhaps the lower decks and inside cabins are priced higher because the trend may be that solo cruises book inside cabins on lower decks (on the cheaper end),

I am not willing to have a low deck inside cabin, so I will pay for a cabin on a higher deck, preferable Deck 8, 9, or 10. I spoil myself when I go, this way I get a absolutely fabulous holiday!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I would go back and check again as to how much difference it is. I am planning a solo cruise in Sept 2008 on Liberty. The single rate for 8D balcony ifor cruise/air is 2287 (plus tax/fees). This works out to 157% if single fare (1458 each person), not 200%. Perhaps the lower decks and inside cabins are priced higher because the trend may be that solo cruises book inside cabins on lower decks (on the cheaper end),

I am not willing to have a low deck inside cabin, so I will pay for a cabin on a higher deck, preferable Deck 8, 9, or 10. I spoil myself when I go, this way I get a absolutely fabulous holiday!
See, now I just learned something new. I never looked higher than Cat. 1A because I thought that all the other categories were 200% no matter what.

I really have to broaden my horizon.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. I am afraid to go with a balcony because what if I get hooked.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Hmm...I've been in every category of cabin and yet I like the stability of inside and low on ships and near the wing on planes. I guess I am more practical or just cruised and flown more interesting trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

In spite of my displeasure with Carnival with the increased port charge, I did go ahead and book the Destiny for this summer.

The itinerary on this ship cannot be beat. The Destiny is not one of Carnival's best ships but when you are on a itinerary with no sea days and a different island each day for 6 days, how much are you really utilizing the ship?

I got a price I can live with well within my vacation budge and I expect to be able to get at least a couple of hundred dollars in OBC by watching and waiting for this cruise price to drop. In the meantime, I was able to snag one of those "to die for" Cat 1A with the two picture windows in the back of the ship.

Yeepee.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

My vacation budget is not great, but yet I still can manage to find a good deal cruising solo or with two of us in the cabin. I have gone without decent holidays for so many years I will splurge for the next five cruises. I will have less to spend on the 6th cruise, thus, I will need to find a darn good deal or live with a Cat 8A cabin instead of a 8C or 8D.

As for the extra fees and charges, I do not worry, they stick it to us in other ways like airport improvement fees, security fees, baggage handling fees--all hidden in the cost of your airline ticket

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....