Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Yeoman

Default "Today Show" 10/23/07

Did anyone see the feature on the subject of "Theme Cruising" on The Today Show 10/23? They mentioned singles cruising as being a "theme" and made reference to Singlescruise.com, but, of course, there are many more agencies that do organized singles cruises (check out the Singles Cruise Calendar in Cruisemates' singles section if you are not familiar with it).

The reporter went on to talk about how expensive it is to cruise in a cabin by yourself due to the singles supplements that cruise lines charge. They mentioned how Singlescruise.com--and others--would "hook you up" with a cabinmate to save money but it was always a gamble to share with a stranger. Well, we've been talking about that on this board for years, right?

Anyway, it was a very informative feature, and I found it quite interesting that so many different cruise lines are offering such a variety of themes. If you missed it, you might find something about it on the Today Show website.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pat,

I didn't see the recent segment you're referring to, but remember seeing something about a year ago that cast solo cruising in a very unflattering light.

First of all, they chose to feature a married man with kids who was about 40 years old. As we both know, that's not you're typical solo cruiser. To make matters worse, they put him on the Disney Magic.

Had I never taken a solo cruise, this segment on one of those morning news shows would have completely turned me off to the whole idea. He kept dwelling on the fact that being solo amongst all those families made him homesick.

Shelby
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Shelby, that is interesting that the show would report the Solo Cruiser's experience in such a distasteful light.

When I am around families and watch parents try to calm over-stimulated little ones, I raise my foo-foo glass high and thank the Good Lord that my days for that are over.

Solo, singles group, special interest groups, family groups, with friends or what have you. Each one fits each of us differently.

I have tried land resort vacations as a solo and found that it is not the same as cruising solo. I found the people at the resorts on land not nearly as friendly and open as the people I come across on cruiseships. It was my experience that, unlike on a cruiseship, on a land resort, unless you meet someone romantically interested in you, you will spend most of your vacation alone.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: "Today Show" 10/23/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hagan Singles Editor
Did anyone see the feature on the subject of "Theme Cruising" on The Today Show 10/23? They mentioned singles cruising as being a "theme" and made reference to Singlescruise.com, but, of course, there are many more agencies that do organized singles cruises (check out the Singles Cruise Calendar in Cruisemates' singles section if you are not familiar with it).

The reporter went on to talk about how expensive it is to cruise in a cabin by yourself due to the singles supplements that cruise lines charge. They mentioned how Singlescruise.com--and others--would "hook you up" with a cabinmate to save money but it was always a gamble to share with a stranger. Well, we've been talking about that on this board for years, right?

Anyway, it was a very informative feature, and I found it quite interesting that so many different cruise lines are offering such a variety of themes. If you missed it, you might find something about it on the Today Show website.

Pat Hagan
Cruisemates Singles Editor

Anyone interested in a replay go to msn.com, click on video highlights, then type in "theme cruises" and hit search sight and there it is for viewing.
8) [/b]
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Also find people pretty friendly on long train trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I have tried land resort vacations as a solo and found that it is not the same as cruising solo. I found the people at the resorts on land not nearly as friendly and open as the people I come across on cruiseships.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Also find people pretty friendly on long train trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I have tried land resort vacations as a solo and found that it is not the same as cruising solo. I found the people at the resorts on land not nearly as friendly and open as the people I come across on cruiseships.
I agree. When living in Atlanta, I used to travel to NYC via Amtrak. It was always a fun ride with people very socialable and friendly. Many of us stay up all night playing cards, etc. in the Club Cars.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)