Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Default Quality singles on board?

My sister & I are interested in trying out a singles cruise to the Western Caribbean. I've heard that the singles cruise crowd is either older or not so (forgive me) attractive. Anyone have good experiences to share on the 28-38 crowd?
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Quality singles on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal1
My sister & I are interested in trying out a singles cruise to the Western Caribbean. I've heard that the singles cruise crowd is either older or not so (forgive me) attractive. Anyone have good experiences to share on the 28-38 crowd?
I have only done one singles cruise. In my best guess I would say the average age of the men were 50 and the women were slightly older, say late 50's. Of the 167 people in my group, the youngest person that I ran into was 31 and the youngest woman was 34 and that was only two people. Everyone else was easily in their late 40's and over. I didn't see anyone that looked to be in their 20's or 30's besides these two people that I mentioned. I am 49 and I was one of the youngest in the group.

For cruising in your age group, I recommend taking a cruise on RCCL or Carnival for less than 7 days with or without the singles group. The general rule is the shorter the cruise, the younger the passengers. I have found this to be true on my cruises. Perhaps one of the single cruise companies that specialize in itineraries will have a younger client base. I was on a ship with a group from CruisingForLove for a 5 night cruise out of New Orleans. They were probably in their late 40's and 50's but it was a smaller group and seemed like very friendly, very nice people.

Go to some of these single cruise companies' website and look at their gallery of pictures from actual cruises. That will tell you the demographics that they usually attract.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There are cruises that specialize in younger crowds, and there are also groups that cater to "police, firefighters & men in uniform" which suggests a younger, more fit crowd.

If you and a friend go together on a short (3 or 4-day) Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean cruise, especially New Years or Spring Break, you will run into other single people most likely. I personally don't recommend sailing solo if your goal is to socialize, its better to have a friend along in case the cruise is a dud.

Shipboard romances are usually with people who live in other cities, and so continuing the relationship can be problematic (depending on who you are - some people can do it easily). But my point is, I think singles cruises should be about having some short term fun, a little flirting, whatever, but mostly about enjoying your vacation. I wouldn't personally go into them expecting to meet your soul mate, though anything is possible.

Once again, though, as Pat says, the shorter the cruise the younger the group will probably be.

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Quality singles on board?

Kiddo and I hang in Senior Frog's in Cozumel and can attest that Carnival hauls in a bunch of y'all in the right demographic. Many were attractive, many were young, all were pretty wasted.

You will do well on shorter, less expensive cruises.
8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal1
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I also recommend looking in your local newspapers for any travel agents advertising group cruises for people in the local area. For example, there are sometimes singles groups from Chicago taking a cruise. If they had one at a date that I could go on, I would do that as at least they would be shipmates from the local area and a relationship is more plausible. If not, at least you have other local people on board to talk to .
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Boy

I recently went on a hosted singles cruise, and there were alot of people in the same age range as you. I had a wonderful time cruising with these people, and the activities, and parties the hosts planned for us were great. There were people of all ages. And as far as quality people go, I met some of the finest people you'll ever meet. I'd be glad to share pictures , if you'd like. Bill
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to agirlontheloose

Well, I am not sure where you got your information, but I went on Singlescruise.com Halloween cruise on the Glory and we had a blast and the only ugly people I saw were on Halloween night and they were working towards that goal.

Yeah, there were plenty of young, good looking 20-30 yr olds, and many of the 40 to 50 yr olds weren't too bad looking either. I know that, as in real life, there were some average looking people in the group, but we allowed them to stay, since they had such great personalities. There were a few pathetic people in that bunch, but that was their attitude that made them unattractive and we had a good time inspite of them.

I suppose if you want party with only the beautiful people you will need to get your own yacht, but until then use a bit of common sense and maintain an open mind and you will have a good time!
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Admiral

Anyone who judges another based on superficial appearance isn't worth having themselves. Intelligence + character or personality are what counts, not waistlines. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Anyone who judges another based on superficial appearance isn't worth having themselves. Intelligence + character or personality are what counts, not waistlines. 8)
Hi Thoth, well said! Mary49
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Default single cruises

thoth hit the nail on the head. i am not young, i am slightly overweight, so i guess i shouldn't be allowed to cruise according to the people who don't want to cruise unless only attractive people are on board. i went on the soap opera cruise by myself. i had no desire to meet anybody, i was on the cruise strictly to meet and mingle with the stars for 4 days. i wouldn't have met anybody because most people first go my appearances.
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Admiral

kal1 - I hate to break it to you, because it sounds like you think you're "all that," but everyone has people who are attracted or not attracted to them. Including you. Wake up and grow up.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Glad to hear from others who see things the same as I do.
Personally, I find those obsessed with being visually "attractive" to be sad. It must be a miserable often neurotic life to judge one's self worth on how much they weigh, or hair issues, or being sexy. And age, what's wrong with being middle aged or even a senior? Seems like every day there is some obituary of a poor soul who will never see 40.

/ticker.png">
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Beginner

Cruises are for all ages. There are over 2000 guests on an average cruise, I am sure the age range is anything from pampers to walking sticks, what are you looking for on a cruise beside fun, meeting new friends, new places and most of all getting away from work, with over 20 years in the Military and still on Active Duty, I love to go on a cruise and get some R/R. # 12 on 22nd Dec.

Sweet Sailing
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM
Yeoman

I just got off of the Carnival Spirit today where I fell head over heels for the world's handsomest man (in my opinion). I didn't look for it, and it just happened.

They are out there -- people who cruise are usually the best people to get to know!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Passenger

WOW, you guys are harsh, maybe the poor gal just wants to make sure she is around people her own age.... Cruises are for all ages, but seriously the average age on the 7 days cruises are usually in the 40's. I would go for a 3-5 day cruise maybe over Spring Break or Memorial Day... That's your best best, Good LUCK!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDARLING
WOW, you guys are harsh, maybe the poor gal just wants to make sure she is around people her own age.... Cruises are for all ages, but seriously the average age on the 7 days cruises are usually in the 40's. I would go for a 3-5 day cruise maybe over Spring Break or Memorial Day... That's your best best, Good LUCK!
I was thinking the same thing. I think since the first impression of someone is a visual impression, appearance is momentarily important.

If a person is unappealing visually or polar opposite of "what you like", there is probably not enough time on cruises to get to know "how great" he or she may be.

It is fair to want to know the demographics of a group's participants. A 25 year old may not want to join a group of 50 year olds. A 40 year old may not want to be surrounded by people in their 70's or 20's.

The OP may be hoping for a pool of male counterparts that are in their physical prime. As is her right.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Familiar Face

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be on a cruise with people in your age group and interests.
I am single, I took a cruise to Alaska with my family and was not looking to meet anyone, though I did go to the dance club a couple times with another single lady. Good thing I wasn't looking for a date because there were no single interesting men on this cruise as far as I could find!
Took a cruise to Mexico the weekend after Thanksgiving on Carnival Paradise with family and met several interesting single men (and women) at the Meet and Greet in the piano bar the first night of the cruise! According to the Carnival Caper of events the Meet and Greet's were in different areas depending on your age, but at the piano bar there were lots of people there from 21 to 60ish, some single some not. I had a great time in the piano bar with Barry (the piano man), he encouraged people to mingle with those they did not know prior to the cruise, which made it easy and fun to meet new people. The adult comedy shows were really fun also, and I was able to attend the comedy shows with some of the single poeple I met at the piano bar which made them even more fun. By all means pick your cruise by who you think might be sailing, but make the most out of whatever cruise you choose, I did and loved them!
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Beginner

Default Quality Single Here!

Hi there,
I consider myself as a quality single, but I guess not everyone has the same definition.
I have cruised twice with singlescruise.com in the past 3 years, and I'm currently 35. I found plenty of early thirties people to hang out with out of the hundreds that were with the group. I even made some over friends over 45 (gasp!). hee hee
I don't go looking to hook up, or meet the love of my life, or even the lust of my life. I book with a group because most of my friends are married with children, or don't want to save up for a cruise and I want to know I have people to hang out with. I went on my first trip solo and had a total blast, met tons of cool people, and loved that I could just hang out alone too if I wanted it.
I think the quality of the cruisers and the quality of your cruise depends on your outlook. There were just as many people younger, older, thinner, taller, prettier, funnier as there were people who were half as witty, half as interesting, and 75% less fun to hang around with then me!
I have found that those who love to cruise and a fun bunch, and just like in land-life you find people you click with and people you don't. I hope you give it a try and remember to go with an open mind.

-Beth
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Quality Single Not Here!

Guess since I am over 35, I am not a quality single. Heck, I'm (gasp) over 45 and usually find myself hanging out with just the mermaids and fishies. What's land-life, anyway? Always thought any time away from sea was pretty much a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBeth
Hi there,
I consider myself as a quality single, but I guess not everyone has the same definition.
I have cruised twice with singlescruise.com in the past 3 years, and I'm currently 35. I found plenty of early thirties people to hang out with out of the hundreds that were with the group. I even made some over friends over 45 (gasp!). hee hee
I don't go looking to hook up, or meet the love of my life, or even the lust of my life. I book with a group because most of my friends are married with children, or don't want to save up for a cruise and I want to know I have people to hang out with. I went on my first trip solo and had a total blast, met tons of cool people, and loved that I could just hang out alone too if I wanted it.
I think the quality of the cruisers and the quality of your cruise depends on your outlook. There were just as many people younger, older, thinner, taller, prettier, funnier as there were people who were half as witty, half as interesting, and 75% less fun to hang around with then me!
I have found that those who love to cruise and a fun bunch, and just like in land-life you find people you click with and people you don't. I hope you give it a try and remember to go with an open mind.

-Beth
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Quality Single Not Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Guess since I am over 35, I am not a quality single. Heck, I'm (gasp) over 45 and usually find myself hanging out with just the mermaids and fishies. What's land-life, anyway? Always thought any time away from sea was pretty much a waste.
Everybody is high quality to somebody and not everyone is top notch to all.

The way of the world.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Interestingly enough I noticed that Kal1( the OP) hasn't returned to continue this conversation.

/ticker.png">
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Default quality singles

thoth, maybe they decided not to get into this site because we are normal people ant not of the beautiful people that she only wants to associate with.
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: quality singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECKYSOAP
thoth, maybe they decided not to get into this site because we are normal people ant not of the beautiful people that she only wants to associate with.
Could be !! 8)

/ticker.png">
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: quality singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECKYSOAP
No, I guess she didn't want to have to justify her original question. Smart girl.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Beginner

yeah I want to know whats it like on board and all
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingking
You have to take a cruise to see what it is like. I suggest Carnival if you are looking for younger, livelier passengers. Age group usually spans all ages if you stick with the Caribbean, 8 nights or less.

Royal Caribbean is more couples and groups. All the rest tend to cater to a more subdued passenger load.

Carnival is the "Fun Ship"

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingking
The time of year matters also. In the dead of winter, notwithstanding holidays, younger cruzers are in school, save spring break. It also appeared to me that the west coast cruises seem to have a more experienced crowd

Still looking for a roomie for Feb 3rd Conquest
21 Princess

"You may have less scars, but I'll have better stories"

facebook.com/buggystuff

Friend me if you like!
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default So how's that working out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
I just got off of the Carnival Spirit today where I fell head over heels for the world's handsomest man (in my opinion). I didn't look for it, and it just happened.

They are out there -- people who cruise are usually the best people to get to know!
Been almost a year now, are you "still" head over heels?

Happy Cruzin'!

G Brad
21 Princess

"You may have less scars, but I'll have better stories"

facebook.com/buggystuff

Friend me if you like!
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Since is post is bumped.

May I suggest a ClubGetAway cruise.

www.clubgetaway.com

Old November 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Have you tried the Groove Cruise? I went last year and it was a blast. It is more of a party cruise with the best DJ's around and private beach, pool and all night parties. Plus there are a ton of beautiful Men & women onboard. The groups age range is approx 21-40.

I found a coupon for $50pp off the cruise (Code: MEETUP)

they also will find you a same sex room mate if travelling alone and wanting to cut costs.

All the info is at www.theGroovecruise.com

Tons of videos and pictures on their web site from last year

Definitly a fun and exciting cruise expereince.

Hope this helps