Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rpostal
Default Cruising Alaska as a Single

I'm very new to the boards here (this is my first post). Been reading the posts for several months now and there seems to be a lot about single cruising to Mexico and the Carribean. I was suckered into an Alaskan cruise (long story) in Sep 08. I will most likely be the only one traveling solo (unless Demi Moore becomes available) among a group of several couples. Has anyone had any experience with cruising to Alaska? Is cruising single pretty much the same no matter the destination? Anyone know Demi Moore personally and wannna hook a guy up? (never hurts to ask)
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising Alaska as a Single

Mexico and the Caribbean will have more singles - cheaper, fun and the sun and all that. Have met many Hollywooders (even made the mistake once of marrying one ), but not Demi. She was Bruce's mistake.

Alaska is cool, but not hot, for singles. But you are cruising in bargain time, off season, so you can save for your next cruise south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpostal
I'm very new to the boards here (this is my first post). Been reading the posts for several months now and there seems to be a lot about single cruising to Mexico and the Carribean. I was suckered into an Alaskan cruise (long story) in Sep 08. I will most likely be the only one traveling solo (unless Demi Moore becomes available) among a group of several couples. Has anyone had any experience with cruising to Alaska? Is cruising single pretty much the same no matter the destination? Anyone know Demi Moore personally and wannna hook a guy up? (never hurts to ask)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
Passenger

Thanks Divemster, Thats kinda what I was afraid of Alaska seems like more of a family destination as opposed to singles. As you said we did get a great rate so maybe I'll try a shorter (3-4 days)Carribean cruise first to get my feet wet.

Quote:
She was Bruce's mistake.
What a great mistake. I've made much worse.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Familiar Face

have been on two alaskan cruises with my wife.They have more older poeple and familys,but the scenery is beautiful.Warm weather cruises are for fun for singles.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Traditionally, Alaska was one of your later (once considered exotic) cruises and attracted the senior element. That position is now held by Antartica. Older couples and extended families seem to be where Alaska is at now. Definitely check out the whale, otter and eagle watching. Your weather will be a bit cooler, so ask for a sweater, a light jacket, and binoculars for Christmas. Heck, ask for a good looking girl that wants to go up there with you.

As to Bruce, I suppose he could have married a Paris or Britney.

Quote:
Thanks Divemster, Thats kinda what I was afraid of Alaska seems like more of a family destination as opposed to singles. As you said we did get a great rate so maybe I'll try a shorter (3-4 days)Carribean cruise first to get my feet wet.

Quote:
She was Bruce's mistake.
What a great mistake. I've made much worse.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Familiar Face

Default Single on Alaska cruise

I cruised on HAL to Alaska in September 2006 from Seattle single and met ZERO single men on the cruise! I went to the dance club with another woman and no one asked us to dance, and we're not too hard to look at! I asked one man to dance and he looked embarrased and said "sorry I don't dance". I did not go on this cruise to meet any other singles...good thing because there were'nt any! Sorry for the bad news about singles but the cruise and ports were very nice and I had a great time with my family and friends on this cruise. I guess maybe I went 2 years too soon.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I guess maybe I went 2 years too soon.
Or maybe I'm going two years too late. Any chance you wanna go again?

Seriously, thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like I need to find someone to bring along.
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Default Your Alaska cruise in 2008

Too bad you're not cruising Alaska in August (8/17/08) via Seattle on the Star Princess. We (a group of 12 single female thirty-something professionals) are going then. Enjoy your cruise!
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
First Mate

Default I'm Cruising Alaska Solo June 1st - Princess Star

I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go or could afford to go...and I've always wanted to see Alaska, so I'm going anyway! Hope to meet friendly people..single or not. Looking forward to the beautiful scenery. Leaving Seattle June 1st for one week inside passage.

I've cruised to the southern, western and eastern carribean many times...favorite was eastern, southern, then western in that order.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Beginner

Hi, all.

First post, first Alaskan cruise. Always wanted to see, etc.

I'd love to try cruising to some of the warmer locations but am extremely sun sensitive. On top of that most sunscreens don't like my skin either. Any comments or solutions from people with the same problem appreciated.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, Alaska is pretty much a family destination. If you're looking to meet other singles on an Alaska cruise, I would suggest seeing if any of the large agencies (such as VTG) are sponsoring a group singles cruise to that location. Otherwise, I would steer clear of Alaska if your goal is to meet other singles onboard. What you're gonna get instead will probably be families traveling together and sticking together.

Caribbean or a Mexico cruise will probably be far more "singles friendly."

Blue skies ...

--rita