Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to StephN1966
Default Single Parents

Hi,
Does anyone know of if there are any hosted single parents cruises out there? My son is turning 13 and wants to go for his birthday. I can't find anything on the web. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The world sure has changed. When I was 13 I wanted to paint my bedroom my own color choice, naturally the asnwer was NO because the whole house had to be the same color--WHITE.

Vacations-my brother and I had no say whatsoever. We had RV vacations from the time I was 4 right until I was 18 and was old enough to stay on my own (without risk if general house destruction). My first vacation was at 21 when I went on my first cruise!!!!!!

Kids today are spoiled......

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

You can find hosted single parent cruises but you have to look. VTG may have one a year. However, with a 13 year old, you may find that the hosted single parent cruises to be more work than reward. What I mean is that your child is old enough to be on his own a bit on the ship which will give you a good amount of "me" time. You may end up saddled with a group that have smaller children and less "adult only" time than you.

Check with Vacations to go, singlescruises, cruisingforlove (don't let the name mislead you).

I suggest you stick with Carnival which is a more upbeat, laid back cruise experience and tends to attract more family groups, friends traveling together, single parents, singles and solo cruisers. Also, a single parent will have little or no problem finding a cruise buddy or two to hang out with on Carnival ships.

Good luck and happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Misguidedangel is right - you don't want a spoiled child. I kept mine from being spoiled by forcing him to cruise at age 1 and then gave him no say as to whether he wanted to see the world, climb pyramids, sail subs, freeze in Alaska or bake in Central America.

Have yet to see single parent cruises. What area of the globe are you considering dragging your kiddo to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
The world sure has changed. When I was 13 I wanted to paint my bedroom my own color choice, naturally the asnwer was NO because the whole house had to be the same color--WHITE.

Vacations-my brother and I had no say whatsoever. We had RV vacations from the time I was 4 right until I was 18 and was old enough to stay on my own (without risk if general house destruction). My first vacation was at 21 when I went on my first cruise!!!!!!

Kids today are spoiled......
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Wow DiveMater, what terrible parents we are huh? Someone call the Division of Youth and Family services. We might actually raise cultured, tolerant, well socialized children. Amazing the unsolicited advice parents get. Anyway, I was definately thinking Carnival for his age group. I'm also thinking just a 4 day to the Bahamas since it will be his first, I wouldn't want to spoil him too much after all. I will most likely just forget the group thing and take him on my own. I've already checked VTG and SC and they don't have anything.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Parent of the worst sort!

Carnival will have a younger group. There is a dolphin experince in the Bahamas which is cool, also try for some snorkeling. Carnival and HAL on longer trips visit Half Moon Cay which is my kiddo's favorite island.

You might also consider torturing your child with a train trip up to Providence, RI or Maine, in season. Being a Railroading Merit Badge Counselor I know how much guys 10-15 hate trains.

Stephen's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephN1966
Wow DiveMater, what terrible parents we are huh? Someone call the Division of Youth and Family services. We might actually raise cultured, tolerant, well socialized children. Amazing the unsolicited advice parents get. Anyway, I was definately thinking Carnival for his age group. I'm also thinking just a 4 day to the Bahamas since it will be his first, I wouldn't want to spoil him too much after all. I will most likely just forget the group thing and take him on my own. I've already checked VTG and SC and they don't have anything.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Beginner

He's already done Boston, Rhode Island, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, been whale watching, but he hasn't done the train...hhmmmm...sounds like a good idea for a summer trip. I'll keep the Half Moon Cay thing in mind though, If I'm going to hell for spoiling my kid, I'm gonna at least enjoy it! Thanks
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Cool. Might also toss him in an Atlantis submarine, drag him to the Atlanta Aquarium, or chum him to the manatees in Crystal River. Figure you have already dragged him through DC, Arlington, and Harpers Ferry, but might have missed the Caverns at Luray or Skyline Drive?

Over here my 12 1/2 year old kiddo is way into scouts, martial arts, basketball, orchestra, church, and scuba. 8)

Quote:
He's already done Boston, Rhode Island, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, been whale watching, but he hasn't done the train...hhmmmm...sounds like a good idea for a summer trip. I'll keep the Half Moon Cay thing in mind though, If I'm going to hell for spoiling my kid, I'm gonna at least enjoy it! Thanks
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Beginner

They're just about the same age. We've done Luray and skyline drive, he was only about 10 then and bored out of his mind! Kyle is way into sports, sports and more sports! This time of year it's basketball, but he also plays baseball in the summer. He's already been to Cooperstown with his dad. He actually only asked for the cruise after he did some research on Carnival because I was going with SC. He's just excited about Club C and NOT having to be dragged around by Mommy the whole trip! I actually think it's pretty cool that the kids get to be off on their own, makes them more self sufficient.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Bored? Sounds like he requires more action? Royal Caribbean ships, for example, with rock climbing walls, mini golf, ice skating, etc.? Zip lines, banana boats, climbing pyramids, snorkeling, hiking outdoors as shore excursions? Camp Carnival is good from what I hear, HAL has the HAL Club and several lines also have active kid's programs.

Self sufficient is where its at. 8) Sports are good since so many kiddos these days are onlys and don't have the sibling thing to teach leadership, teamwork, responsibility, and cooperation.

Quote:
They're just about the same age. We've done Luray and skyline drive, he was only about 10 then and bored out of his mind! Kyle is way into sports, sports and more sports! This time of year it's basketball, but he also plays baseball in the summer. He's already been to Cooperstown with his dad. He actually only asked for the cruise after he did some research on Carnival because I was going with SC. He's just excited about Club C and NOT having to be dragged around by Mommy the whole trip! I actually think it's pretty cool that the kids get to be off on their own, makes them more self sufficient.
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
A 4 dayer to the Bahamas will be great for your kiddo. Camp Carnival is where his age group meet but generally you find them taking over the pizza station, ice cream machine or in the teen dance club. Your child will have a ball. You will probably not see much of him unless you INSIST he join you for dinner once or twice. Most times the teens want to eat with their cruise friends in the buffet and not be bothered with Mom or Dad. He is at the age where you are an embarassment but he still needs to know that you are somewhere relatively close by. The awkward stage, if you will.

Oh yeah, and don't let him know how much fun you are having on the ship without him underfoot -- it hurts their feelings. Hahahaha!!

Have fun, and don't worry about spoiling your kid. They are not exact science and how they turn out in life can be more of a crapshoot than anything else. There is no perfect formula for perfect kids.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Taking a cruise with my children

OH NO! :o I am also guilty of producing spoiled children! I am a single mom who has taken my son and daughter on 2 cruises and have another one booked. If you were to take your son on a singles cruise during school holidays (spring break, Christmas or summer) I'm sure there will be lots of single parents for you to mingle with as well as plenty of kids in your sons age group for him to hang out with. Neither of the cruises I took were single cruises, however, the cruise I took Thanksgiving weekend had plenty of single parents and kids on board. Don't miss the meet and greet on Carnival cruises, a great way to meet other singles and fun people to visit with through out the cruise. Happy cruising and kudos for including your son in your vacations!
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Taking a cruise with my children

Yikes - my kiddo has been on 10 or more so I guess I'm either a rotten parent or a good source of information on cruising with a kiddo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha dancer
OH NO! :o I am also guilty of producing spoiled children! I am a single mom who has taken my son and daughter on 2 cruises and have another one booked. ...
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I took my 14 year old on on our first cruise this past July, a 4-day to Bahamas. Wee had a blast but he didn't want to hang out with any other teens. I am going to spoil myself on a solo cruise on Fascination in June 2008. Then, I'll spoil us both again in June 2011 with an Alaska cruise when he graduates high school.

Just keep in mind your kid may not want to do the kids programs, and if you want a cruise to edo adult things, save that for a solo cruise. My son and I went on excursions together, did mini-golf on the ship together, stood and stared out at the beautiful ocean together, and watched activities together. I did not want to drop him off at the teen center and not see him till midnight, and he didn't want that either.