Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Default Recently Separated

Hello. I have been reading a few posts and have a question. Since i will soon be single, I may look into a cruise (enjoyed one back in Sept07 with my then wife). I will probably not go to find romance, but it would be great to meet some new friends. I am very much an introvert, so i am not sure about going by myself on a cruise, or going with a group like singlescruise.com. I will be 40 in July, but think I will wait until later in the year or next year. What are some thoughts on the singles group trips or maybe even just, hey were going as a group, singles, couples etc and where would I find those type of websites or group travel posts? I don't have many single friends, so booking on one of the cruise line sites can be a little more, while the singles cruise sites offer to find roommates.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Recently Separated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENcruise
Hello. I have been reading a few posts and have a question. Since i will soon be single, I may look into a cruise (enjoyed one back in Sept07 with my then wife). I will probably not go to find romance, but it would be great to meet some new friends. I am very much an introvert, so i am not sure about going by myself on a cruise, or going with a group like singlescruise.com. I will be 40 in July, but think I will wait until later in the year or next year. What are some thoughts on the singles group trips or maybe even just, hey were going as a group, singles, couples etc and where would I find those type of websites or group travel posts? I don't have many single friends, so booking on one of the cruise line sites can be a little more, while the singles cruise sites offer to find roommates.
You have loads of options.

You can go with a group. Think of what are some of your interests or maybe your occupation or union affiliation, then do a search on the web for those interests coupled with the word "cruise". For instance, if you enjoy country & western music, do a search for "country music cruise", race car enthusiaist would be on Nascar cruises, christian cruises, or perhaps your favorite radio station. A lot of the radio shows and/or their dj's organize group cruises. Just add the words of your interest to the word "cruise" on an internet search. For every imaginable interest and hobby, there is a group organizing a cruise.

You can do a singles cruise. There are drawbacks to these. The larger singles group cruises (Vacations to Go) may leave an introvert or shy person in the same situation as if they got on the ship alone. With groups that can number in the hundreds, it is harder to find individual cruise buddies and really get to know anyone, especially if you are quiet and not outgoing. The smaller single group cruises (cruising for love, singlecruises.com) may be good for you in that there are far less people to try to meet and interact with.

However, with single group cruises, there is a strong emphasis on "hooking up" among many (majority?) of the people that frequent these single cruises. It is much less a group of people looking to hang out platonically and more a bunch of people hoping/planning on hooking up with someone in the group. This type of environment may leave an introvert more alone than cruising solo.

Most of these internet forum boards (cruisemates, cruise critic, cruise-chat, cruise crazies) organize group cruises. This is another great way for someone to cruise "not alone" but who may not want to try to navigate through the hassles of the heavy dating scene that is part of most "single" group cruises. This way, you will cruise with singles, couples, small families. IMPO, I would recommend you go this route.

There is, of recent, a budding travel industry that looks to pair people up with empty slots in group cruises. If a cruise organizer reserves 30 cabins but only sells 25 or so, there are travel agents that will try to fill those last 5 cabins. This is something that I have just started to come across on the internet so I know very little about it.

Good luck and happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Default You will be ok

First and foremost- Sorry for your marraige situation. Secondly you will make "FRIENDS OF A LIFETIME" on a cruise.I have been cruising since 94 and have met so many wonderful people from all walks of life. Becasue of this I am venturing on a solo long cruise coming up soon. I was afraid at first even though I am an outgoing person. But i just signed my DIV paoers and am ready to move on with my life. Life is about living it to the fullest. If you have specific questions aboutlines, services, ports etc let me know. This will be my 16th.Try to avoid carnival at all costs. HAL has single share which keeps costs traveling alone down.
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: You will be ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndolly
First and foremost- Sorry for your marraige situation. Secondly you will make "FRIENDS OF A LIFETIME" on a cruise.I have been cruising since 94 and have met so many wonderful people from all walks of life. Becasue of this I am venturing on a solo long cruise coming up soon. I was afraid at first even though I am an outgoing person. But i just signed my DIV paoers and am ready to move on with my life. Life is about living it to the fullest. If you have specific questions aboutlines, services, ports etc let me know. This will be my 16th.Try to avoid carnival at all costs. HAL has single share which keeps costs traveling alone down.
steer away from Hal ...HAL attracts senior. Additionally, they do not list their toll free number on their website.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

DENcruise, if you take a cruise with Holland or Norwegian it will be you and 3,000 senior citizens. It's very simple. Take a cruise with Singlescruise.com or Vacations to Go. They will pair you up with another single guy traveling alone and there will be anywhere from 100-500 guys and gals to hang with for the week. You will love it.

(Be very cautious about taking a cruise only with people that have a specific interest similar to yours. The group could be small, and a whole week with everyone that has the same interests as you could become very boring very fast. Besides, there might not be anyone your age or even single).

And the ship doesn't matter. It's the people you're with. You can travel with the nicest, biggest, most expensive cruise line. If there's no one to be with, what's the point. Go on a singles cruise.

Phil
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

hi, Ron here in Charlotte NC.Recently separated myself and trying to find a cruise buddy. I am a 48 wm, separated about 3 months, have 2 college age kids and I am a college instructor, I am easy going and laid back who likes to travel but doesnt like to pay the higher single supplement. I just tried to book on a singles cruise out of San diego for June 28th, 5 nites and am to late for a cabin mate. I am on vacation from june 17t till july 5th and am looking for someone that would like to share a cabin on a cruise. If that timeframe is no good, perhaps another time. thanks Ron
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to chetter

Greetings & Saluatations

The best time you will ever have is on a Singles cruise , You meet the best people from all over the world . I have been on 19 singles cruises and I had the best time ! Vacationstogo.com singles cruises are the best !

See ya Soon

chetter
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Beginner

Hey, I was just reading the responses and was wondering why they did not recommend carnival. I have not determined which one I wanted to go on yet but would like to know why it was not recommended.
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Most singles cruises are on carnival. That is probably why no one has recommended that cruiseline.

I cruise solo and I find that I met more interesting, engaging people when I am alone on the ship than when I was part of the singles group. The other passengers may be a bit gun-shy when it comes to a "singles" group because of what impressions a person may have of the purpose of a singles group.

It really depends on what you want on a cruise. You have a much better chance of cultivating a relationship with a member of the opposite s*x but these relationships rarely survive debarkation.

Most people on this board will recommend a singles cruise. I don't recommend it for me or anyone like me. However, it might be a perfect fit for your vacation.

Again, it is really a matter of what you want out of your cruise experience.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Passenger

DEN, my 1st singles cruise was last year on VTG; I had only been divorce for 6 months, and was NOT interested in the "hook up" scene. Luckily, many of my fellow cruisers were like me; in it to meet fun people and have a good time. 7 of us had do darn much fun we got together in June for a weekend, and we're cruising together in October.

I think you would enjoy a VTG singles cruise.