Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Default single or solo?

HEY, I KNOW THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN SPOKEN ABOUT FOREVER, BUT I HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM THESE BOARDS FOR A FEW MONTHS SINCE MY LAST CRUISE IN NOV. 07. I HAVE CRUISED SEVERAL TIMES SOLO AND HAVE LOVED IT. NOW I AM THINKING ABOUT A ORGANIZED SINGLES CRUISE ON THE FREEDOM OF THE SEAS IN OCT. ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS TO COMPARED TO THAT WOULD HELP. THANK YOU.... KC
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Default Let us know when??

Great idea
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Hey KC,
Just got off the "Freedom". Probably older than you, (I'm 60) I enjoyed it immensely although there are many small children in tow. It's a family-oriented ship, beautiful, almost every imaginable amenity available, immaculate, nice service personnel, etc. No complaints whatsoever except a dearth of ship activities on sea days. Did the R/T MIA to St. Maarten route, two weeks ago. I'd go again as I like to travel solo at times and am very imaginative: a necessary ingredient for older adults on this beautiful ship.

Flow rider anyone? Rock climbing? Ice skating? Boxing? Basketball? Ben & Jerry's or Johnny Rockets?

Be interested to hear back from you.

Dennis
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Kevin- yes, i was thinking of doing the same exact cruise! I just posted a reply in another subject... ill paste it here.. maybe you can answer my question..

I have a question, i belong to vacations-to-go cruise news e mails and they posted singles cruises for 2008- was thinking of doing one... so i looked up a specific singles cruise sailing date with RCI on Freedom ots and found the same cruise sailing on their web site- only the web site just looked like it was just an ordinary cruise.. so my question is- are these "singles cruises" solely single cruises, or are they 10% singles and 90% family??

Because if I didnt get the news letter, by looking at the RCI site- I would NEVER Have known it was a singles cruise sailing.... Thoughts? Answers?

Im a somewhat shy person when alone, so I feel like I owe it to myself to break out, meet LOTS of people and just party a week away and do something totally out of my comfort zone .. So i think I really want to do a singles cruise!

This is the cruise im looking at
http://www.vacationstogo.com/singles_c11.cfm

there is even a match program to find a roomate. cool... or prices listed if you want to room solo.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
Kevin- yes, i was thinking of doing the same exact cruise! I just posted a reply in another subject... ill paste it here.. maybe you can answer my question..

I have a question, i belong to vacations-to-go cruise news e mails and they posted singles cruises for 2008- was thinking of doing one... so i looked up a specific singles cruise sailing date with RCI on Freedom ots and found the same cruise sailing on their web site- only the web site just looked like it was just an ordinary cruise.. so my question is- are these "singles cruises" solely single cruises, or are they 10% singles and 90% family??

Because if I didnt get the news letter, by looking at the RCI site- I would NEVER Have known it was a singles cruise sailing.... Thoughts? Answers?

Im a somewhat shy person when alone, so I feel like I owe it to myself to break out, meet LOTS of people and just party a week away and do something totally out of my comfort zone .. So i think I really want to do a singles cruise!

This is the cruise im looking at
http://www.vacationstogo.com/singles_c11.cfm

there is even a match program to find a roomate. cool... or prices listed if you want to room solo.

Animal Rites Advocate here...Dennis is my name

Enjoyed your comments. Check with RCI on the single status of this sailing, however, I can bet, being a family/children oriented ship that your percentages are correct. There is no way they are going to attract 4000 singles that agree to double-book each stateroom or singles that will accept a single supplelment fare. She is a fantastic ship if you can deal with all the tots!
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just dont want to feel lonely, ya know... I feel really uncomfortable even eating alone in a restaurant, im not sure how I would feel going on vacation alone!! Im not necessarily looking to find a partner or hook up... just want to meet lots of people, and make myself approach people and party the night away.. I am an outgoing person when with friends, but if alone, I tend to feel isolated and shy to approach anyone... so I want to test myself and force myself to losen up and meet lots of people on my own without the security of another friend by my side.. make sense?

Also I have the problem that I am a cruise phene- I think I need help! lol but since I am addicted its hard for me to find any one to go with.. friends and family are broke and most dont like cruising, which sucks for me! But i NEED to cruise or I cant live!!! I have been on 3 cruises in the past YEAR!! I ran out of friends to go with ... I even begged my grandmother to go on my last one!!
Im planning a 15 night Hawaiin cruise in October and thinking of a singles.. see Im addicted!!
Actually my newest idea (This is a fairly recent idea brewing in my head lol) is to take 6 months leave off my job and get hired by RCI as a security officer on a ship. It certainly would NOT be for pay, since they barely pay their employees, it would be for a life experience and waking up in a new country/island every day is one heck of a perck! Im young, single, no kids- why not right? Im going to look into it! =D
I just dont know if I could go and leave my life behind for 6 months, my house, animals, etc.. But again, Im having a mid 20s life crisis and trying to "find myself" ya know... so I might just do the complete oddest thing i could do.. and that would be work on a cruise ship!
I just need to figure out where to apply.. I have a friend who works for RCI, next time I talk to him, I am going to bombard him with a zillion questions!
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
I just dont want to feel lonely, ya know... I feel really uncomfortable even eating alone in a restaurant, im not sure how I would feel going on vacation alone!! Im not necessarily looking to find a partner or hook up... just want to meet lots of people, and make myself approach people and party the night away.. I am an outgoing person when with friends, but if alone, I tend to feel isolated and shy to approach anyone... so I want to test myself and force myself to losen up and meet lots of people on my own without the security of another friend by my side.. make sense?

Also I have the problem that I am a cruise phene- I think I need help! lol but since I am addicted its hard for me to find any one to go with.. friends and family are broke and most dont like cruising, which sucks for me! But i NEED to cruise or I cant live!!! I have been on 3 cruises in the past YEAR!! I ran out of friends to go with ... I even begged my grandmother to go on my last one!!
Im planning a 15 night Hawaiin cruise in October and thinking of a singles.. see Im addicted!!
Actually my newest idea (This is a fairly recent idea brewing in my head lol) is to take 6 months leave off my job and get hired by RCI as a security officer on a ship. It certainly would NOT be for pay, since they barely pay their employees, it would be for a life experience and waking up in a new country/island every day is one heck of a perck! Im young, single, no kids- why not right? Im going to look into it! =D
I just dont know if I could go and leave my life behind for 6 months, my house, animals, etc.. But again, Im having a mid 20s life crisis and trying to "find myself" ya know... so I might just do the complete oddest thing i could do.. and that would be work on a cruise ship!
I just need to figure out where to apply.. I have a friend who works for RCI, next time I talk to him, I am going to bombard him with a zillion questions!
You write a fascinating story!
Cruising alone can be difficult if you're not imaginative, inventive and outgoing. You come across as a gregarious/outgoing & sharp person that can solo well. I've done it several times (having exhausted my list of friends that might sail) and you just need to plan differently. I just came back from RCI's "Freedom"; great cruise except for myriad of children constantly underfoot. Check on this website and cruisecritic.com as you will see occasional blogs/threads from present and past crew members. Cruise life is tough but you're in your 20s and can change your course of direction in a heartbeat, being so young. I'd apply too if I were your age. You have everything to gain, particularly with the new ships coming on board in the next two years and with our poor economy; finally, the US populace is seeing how reasonable it is to sail in comparison to other forms of travel! I also think your idea of applying for a security personnel position is an excellent one; the other, more service-related ship jobs, are very laborous and almost thankless. Kudos for your insightful idea. In closing, RCI will intro Independence later this year (Freedom/Liberty-class ship) and Genesis in 2009. Also, RCI is a partner of Celebrity, a ship line that I endorse highly. Good luck. Brave the waters! You can do it!
Dennis
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
First Mate

animal rights, and dennis. thanks for writing. there probably will be between 300 and 400 singles on the rcl halloween cruise from what i hear. i have cruised 4 times solo and really enjoy it. this will be my first singles cruise, i am looking forward to it. animal rights, i think you should book the cruise and have a blast for a week. there are things to do with the group and also time for yourself. any other questions PM me. KC
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
First Mate

i am booked on the freedom in oct. animal, follow my lead and book your cruise.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default single or solo

i cruise solo cause of bad experiences traveling with friends, plus most of my friends are to cheap to spend the money. i would love to meet a person of the opposite sex on the cruise, but when you get over 50 and a little overweight, most men want the young skinny women.i went on a theme cruise (soap opera cruise). that way i will be on the ship with 300 other soap opera fans. i spend time with people that are soap opera fans. if i ever do get the chance that some man actually likes me, i would be thrilled to death. 11 months till the next soap opera cruise.