Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
First Mate

Default US Airlines charging additional fees while CEO/Exec' make

US airlines charging additional fees while CEO and other exec employees make millions in salary. America is driven by GREED!!

Delta Air Lines plans to begin charging most passengers a $25 fee each time a second bag is checked.

The new fee, which takes effect on May 1, 2008.

Delta Medallion members and passengers traveling in first- and business-class cabins will still be allowed to check up to three bags at no additional charge.

If you have questions about this policy, please call Delta Air Lines at 1-800-221-1212.

=============

TEMPE, Arizona (AP) -- US Airways says it will begin charging passengers extra for an aisle or window seat on some of its planes.

President Scott Kirby has told employees Wednesday in a letter that the carrier needs to find ways to offset high fuel costs that are plaguing the industry.

The new Choice Seats program, which begins May 7, will charge passengers $5 per flight for an aisle or window seat in the first several rows in coach.

Passengers will be able to buy the seats on the Web for all US Airways-operated flights except the US Airways Shuttle and Colgan-operated Saab 340 aircraft.

Dividend Miles Preferred members will be offered the Choice Seats program for free. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/04/17....ap/index.html
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Delta is charging additional fee

XCB:

There's definitely trouble in paradise with the airlines. Having to plan long range with a RTW trip and really paying attention to how much airline service has degraded over the past few years. Getting hit with a $25 fee is no biggie - heck miss a payment on a credit card and it is a $40 fee. How about planes flying with cracked windshields, stranding passengers for 3 days on Christmas Island, or going out of business midway on a round trip ticket? Heck I try to carry all my luggage aboard since Frontier lost my bags for 4 days and SWA lost them for a few hours. No wonder luggage forwarding has grown so big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCalBear
This is terrible!!! I REFUSE to fly Delta!!

Delta Air Lines plans to begin charging most passengers a $25 fee each time a second bag is checked.

Delta Medallion members and passengers traveling in first- and business-class cabins will still be allowed to check up to three bags at no additional charge.

If you have questions about this policy, please call Delta Air Lines at 1-800-221-1212.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
XCB:

There's definitely trouble in paradise with the airlines. Having to plan long range with a RTW trip and really paying attention to how much airline service has degraded over the past few years. Getting hit with a $25 fee is no biggie - heck miss a payment on a credit card and it is a $40 fee. How about planes flying with cracked windshields, stranding passengers for 3 days on Christmas Island, or going out of business midway on a round trip ticket? Heck I try to carry all my luggage aboard since Frontier lost my bags for 4 days and SWA lost them for a few hours. No wonder luggage forwarding has grown so big.

Quote:

This is the reason why I don't check in my luggage anymore. I carry just a back-pack and I will sneak in my hair gel, toothpaste, and mouthwash. And, if I get caught, then I will buy it when I arrive at the destination. this is a bloody hassel lameness!! Flying European Airline is much better. Flight att is much sexier than US airline carriers, plus and European airline carriers offer FREE liquor on coach-class.

on a lighter note, thank goodness people still accept bribe these days!! Last week, I offered American Airline gate agent $150, and she gave me first class seat. I also got her phone #s. I plan to take her to lunch when I return 8)
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

XCB:

Bribery? Afraid us auditors aren't big on that. Yet Louisiana and Texas seem to find the practice acceptable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
XCB:

Quote:

This is the reason why I don't check in my luggage anymore. I carry just a back-pack and I will sneak in my hair gel, toothpaste, and mouthwash. And, if I get caught, then I will buy it when I arrive at the destination. this is a bloody hassel lameness!! Flying European Airline is much better. Flight att is much sexier than US airline carriers, plus and European airline carriers offer FREE liquor on coach-class.

on a lighter note, thank goodness people still accept bribe these days!! Last week, I offered American Airline gate agent $150, and she gave me first class seat. I also got her phone #s. I plan to take her to lunch when I return 8)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I do think it is highway robbery for sure. I am glad the airlines in Canada have not sunk that low yet, at least for the forseable future it won't be that way. Charging for an extra bag AND for seat selection in the first few rows of coach class. No, that is wrong. I don't think it is the cost of fuel that is the only problem, no, the landing fees for each airport is a pricy too.

I can't pack ALL that I need in one 24" suitcase and have room left over for stuff I buy. My clothes alone would stuff it full. I don't bring more than I need and I wear everything I bring at least twice or more (capris & shorts).

I have a solution, insteading an airline running four flights a day on smaller jets run one or two on 747 or larger jets that accommodate more people. The air is crowded with planes, why not use larger jets and less flights. Sure it will/can be a pain in the arse for connections, but think of how they can save fuel that way!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I do think it is highway robbery for sure. I am glad the airlines in Canada have not sunk that low yet, at least for the forseable future it won't be that way. Charging for an extra bag AND for seat selection in the first few rows of coach class. No, that is wrong. I don't think it is the cost of fuel that is the only problem, no, the landing fees for each airport is a pricy too.

I can't pack ALL that I need in one 24" suitcase and have room left over for stuff I buy. My clothes alone would stuff it full. I don't bring more than I need and I wear everything I bring at least twice or more (capris & shorts).

I have a solution, insteading an airline running four flights a day on smaller jets run one or two on 747 or larger jets that accommodate more people. The air is crowded with planes, why not use larger jets and less flights. Sure it will/can be a pain in the arse for connections, but think of how they can save fuel that way!
First and foremost, your idea will not work for many business travelers. Second, Canadiens will NEVER practice this type of business tactic. ONLY American companies. Again, America is driven by GREED.