Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Default Air/Sea Package Vs Booking own flight?

Hi All,

I usually lurk but I'm considering the VTG Mardi Gras Cruise on RC Voyager next Feb. I'm a 43 year old single female, and I've cruised before a number of times on HAL's Rotterdam, but it was always with my mother and she always made the arrangements. I'm looking forward to some fun on my first singles cruise, but I concerned about a couple of things.

I would normally consider booking my own flight and flying down a day early, (the ship leaves on Feb. 15th) because I live in the Northeast, and Murphy's Law, there would end up being a snowstorm the day I leave.

However, the port of embarkation as of now is still the Galveston/Houston area. I really don't know how much of the area will be restored/rebuilt for me to stay overnight, eat and get to the port. I'm not familiar with Houston at all.

Would it be better to take VTG's Air/Sea package in this case, rather than book my own flight and go down early?

Another thing I was wondering was cost - had anyone compared the cost of making your own arrangements vs a cruiseline's Air/Sea package? I'm assuming the VTG's air/sea arrangement is that you fly down the same day you embark. They say on the website that in extreme cases of flight delays they will hold the ship if there are a lot of passengers on the flight, or they will arrange a flight to the next port.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.
Thanks!

Bailey's Irish Creme

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

I would book on my own and fly down a day early. By then, the Galveston/Houston area should be in a better situation and hotel rooms should be available. Bob
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Bailey, one more thing. It is usually cheaper to book a flight on your own vs having the cruiseline package. Bob
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would first suggest to do some homework to find out how much air would cost to do it on your own. If you can get it cheaper than cruise air, then go for it. I am in the opposite boat, I know they can get iairfiare for way cheaper than I can find it, so I just go with it. Also, I have to factor in hotel cost and cab fare, so if I can find airfare to Miami, hotel, and cab fare for under $700 I would go on my own, but the cheapest airfare I have found to fly to Miami is $800 (Canadian) and then tack on $300 for hotel/transfer costs.......so, cruise air may suck because I usually get a red eye flight, at least it is cheaper!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Bailey, one more thing. It is usually cheaper to book a flight on your own vs having the cruiseline package. Bob
Quote:
I would book on my own and fly down a day early. By then, the Galveston/Houston area should be in a better situation and hotel rooms should be available. Bob
Thanks Bob. I'm starting to lean in that direction.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I would first suggest to do some homework to find out how much air would cost to do it on your own. If you can get it cheaper than cruise air, then go for it. I am in the opposite boat, I know they can get iairfiare for way cheaper than I can find it, so I just go with it. Also, I have to factor in hotel cost and cab fare, so if I can find airfare to Miami, hotel, and cab fare for under $700 I would go on my own, but the cheapest airfare I have found to fly to Miami is $800 (Canadian) and then tack on $300 for hotel/transfer costs.......so, cruise air may suck because I usually get a red eye flight, at least it is cheaper!!!!!!
Good point! I did some checking for flights on my own and so far it's about $400- $500 RT from New York's LaGuardia to Houston, and between $70 to $100 for a room close to one of the ports. So I'll have to see if cruise air can beat that.

Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Bailey, for information on flight prices, check out airfare watchdog.com Sign up your departure and arrival city. Lots of good information there. Bob
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Bailey, for information on flight prices, check out airfare watchdog.com Sign up your departure and arrival city. Lots of good information there. Bob
Thanks Bob!
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Passenger

I would go down a day early, get a hotel room and relax. Even if the cost is more, that way I won't be stressed out. If there are any problems with the flight, you still have a day to arrive.

Have a great trip.