Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Beginner

Default 2009 Singles Cruise Calendar

The 2009 singles cruise calendar appears to be missing as well the singles board editor, a updated calendar would be a useful tool in planning a future cruise with other fun loving singles

Perhaps one of the moderator's could find a new suitable person to lead this board, there has not been a singles related article posted here since August 2007

Could one of the caring and knowledgeable members such as Showcat take the helm and chart a better course?
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

this site is a ghost town. all the seasoned members switched to cruisecritic site.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Admiral

I believe that Pat Hagan is no longer around to post. Bob
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Hmmm I would suggest reposting your message on the ask cruisemates staff board. Or I will and we can see if they can get someone to take over the singles board.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Admiral

I know we've been running behind on this, and I sincerely apologize.

We've updated the singles calendar with all of the information we've received to date, and I am going to be acting as the new singles editor ...

We're also thinking about a CruiseMates singles cruise. How would you all feel about that? Any suggestions for what you would like to see in terms of cruise line, ship, itinerary?

Blue skies!

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Default Singles Calender 2009

That will be awesome, us singles thought we were forgotten. I'd love to see a cruisemates singles cruise!

No one ever does the Southern Caribbean, or Hawaii. There are some cruises now from Florida that go to the Southern ports, that would be the way to go even if it's an 8 day itinerary, as it's cheaper then flying to San Juan.

Another thing I'd like to see is a deal worked out on lower singles suppliments where getting a cabin to ourselves is affordable, these can even be 1A cabins. The other singles companys do not do this.

For those who wish to share a cabin roommate matching, or a message board where people can interview potenial cabin mates before matching would be helpful. A simple roomate matching questionare would be a good idea too, with questions like are you a night owl or early riser? Smoker or non smoker?

As for cruise lines I want to try NCL but they offer anytime dining which might not be good for a group. RCL is a thought as most singles companys are just starting to use them, usually just go with Carnival. Id like to see Princess, Costa, MSC and another other lines that would have fun active ships with young people on them, that offers low prices.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Singles Calender 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Another thing I'd like to see is a deal worked out on lower singles suppliments where getting a cabin to ourselves is affordable, these can even be 1A cabins. The other singles companys do not do this.
That's a good idea, but unfortunately even with a group, the cruise line's pricing policies stay in effect. They'd likely not reduce single supplements just because we had a group onboard.

But what we can try to do is find a cruise line whose single supplements are "reasonable" and select a sailing where those favorable rates are in effect.

I too am thinking Carnival. Holland America has good single supplements, but I don't think they are necessarily the best venue for a singles cruise.

As for destination, I too am thinking something along the lines of the Caribbean, mainly because of price. The problem with Hawaii is that a lot of folks don't want to fly to Hawaii and then cruise around the islands. A cruise from the mainland takes about 15 days or so. The expense, not to mention the time necessary, would exclude a lot of folks who would otherwise want to join us. So, sadly, I don't think Hawaii will be workable.

I'm gonna put up a couple of polls in the next couple of days and we'll see what ideas we come up with. Then we'll set it up.

Blue skies!

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Hi Rita,
Actually the majority of singles cruises are on Carnival for some reason, these days a few are on Princess, RCL, HAL. I've been told Carnival is the most singles friendly line. I liked Costa a lot they have so many ship board activitys, but the singles companys haven't used them lately. They are even cheaper then Carnival. I'd like to try HAL but I've heard the ships passengers are mostly senior citizens, and they don't have much going on at night.

I agree the most affordable are out of Florida to the Caribbean. My first singles was 8 night to the Exotic Western ports, that's why I think the 8 night southern ports if out of Florida would be a great choice, like I said no one is doing that itinerary. I have heard the same about Hawaii yet many singles lines do European cruises now and that's even more expensive to fly to Italy, or Spain. I like the Western ports also minus Jamaicia and the Dominican Republic. Eastern ports are pretty but not as many options for shore excursions. I also did a singles cruise from California to the Mexican Rivera that was great. A cruise out of NY would also be popular as it gives a good pre-post cruise destination.

Just my two cents but I also like singles cruises that are not so port intensive, I think the sea days are a blast, I like time to explore the ship. I wish more cruise lines would break up the ports with sea days rather then put all the ports back to back it's too exhausting.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Showcat, thanks for giving Rita lots of good information. I would consider a Cruisemates Single cruise if it appealed to me as well. Currently I have a few cruises already booked but you never know. I think Princes is a good choice as well and sometimes you can find lower Suppliment with them. Carinval is ok as well on their newer ships especially. I agree with Showcat, a cruise to the Southern Carib out of FL would be nice and I know Princess has them. While saying this I do understand you need to make this appeal to a large crowd in order to get more interest. Best of luck in the planning.

Vince
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
First Mate

RITA, THANKS FOR TAKING OVER OUR SINGLES INFO SITE. I WOULD REALLY LIKE A CRUISEMATE SINGLES CRUISE. SHOWCAT HAS A GREAT IDEA IN THE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN FROM FLORIDA. KEEP US INFORMED.
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin c
RITA, THANKS FOR TAKING OVER OUR SINGLES INFO SITE. I WOULD REALLY LIKE A CRUISEMATE SINGLES CRUISE. SHOWCAT HAS A GREAT IDEA IN THE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN FROM FLORIDA. KEEP US INFORMED.
See the survey that's a sticky on the top of this board. Put your comments in there and by the middle of April, I will set something fun up for us CruiseMates to enjoy.

How's that?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Passenger

I like the idea of a cruisemates singles cruise. I will answer the poll question. I have sailed on Princess and RCL a few times and they are great lines, would be fun.

Thanks to Rita for doing this and hopefully something can be worked out. It would be neat to see some of the people who post.

Annmarie
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Admiral

I would not even mind if they combined the singles with the non singles on a cruisemate cruise, just offer cabin mate matching for those who need
it. Sometimes expectations run high on singles cruises, and some folks have an agenda to hook up or find the love of their life. It should be simple I want to cruise, make some friends, and what ever happens, happens, whatever does not that's fine too.

Would this be a single sailing as an experiment or will there be several to choose from?
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
First Mate

great idea showcat, it just does'nt seem that anyone is interested. all the singles have left this site.
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
. . . Sometimes expectations run high on singles cruises, and some folks have an agenda to hook up or find the love of their life. It should be simple I want to cruise, make some friends, and what ever happens, happens, whatever does not that's fine too.

Would this be a single sailing as an experiment or will there be several to choose from?
I also believe the current economy might be to blame.

Or maybe some potential single cruisers actually READ the posts on how they should not get their expectations on meeting that special someone on a cruise.

It is very expensive to pay over a grand for a 7 day cabin just to meet someone on a cruise just to be disappointed with the selection.

Old March 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

I don't think enough people even know about the singles cruises, and men for the most part usually book guy trips to Vegas and such.

Then there is the cabin mate from hell stories. I don't understand why more companies do not let the potenial cabin mates take a quiz to determine basic compatability, and a message board where people can try to find and choose their own cabin mate.

I had a bad experiance with a singles land trip roomate who did not belive in air conditioning! Some crazy hippie, every night she had the windows open and my bed was damp from humidity. I have severe allergies and my roomate had to be switched, as she refused to keep the AC on! I am very unhappy the company did not punish this person she ended up with the room all to herself, and I got put in with another kind lady who was sympathetic to my situation.

Unfortunatly at this point I'm more inclined to travel solo or get my own room/cabin. I can do this cheaper on my own then with a group. However Cruisemates group cruises always get really good prices so I'm curious if they can beat the singles companys with better deals.
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Familiar Face

My ideal singles cruise would be:

In January or Febuary to allow an escape from the brutally cold winter months.

Southern Caribbean. I would like to visit some of the southern islands again, although any Caribbean islands are preferable to the western, Mexico only stops.

A 10 day cruise. The flights down to Florida can rival the cost of the cruise itself, so a longer cruise would be cost effective for me - besides seven days is just not long enough.

No Carnival. Use one of the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas class ships. These ships are high activity (surfing, skating, rock climbing, mini-golf) with an adult only solarium with hot tubs hanging off the side of the ship - just a great experience. I would be willing to try NCL and Princess again, but no Celebrity. I did Celebrity in January and it is just too boring for any single under eighty. I am sure this would also rule out Holland-America, since it is a cruise line for an older crowd.

More single cabins. I am not interested in room mates, I would rather pay the supplement for my own space.

I am planning to book my next one in June, possibily the VTG Jan Princess cruise.
Feb 07 Carnival Squalor
Jan 08 Freedom of the Seas
Jan 09 Celebrity Solstice
Jan 10 Crown Princess
May 10 Navigator of the Seas-Med
Jan 11 Oasis of the Seas
May 11 Independence of the Seas-Canary Is.
May 11 Vision of the Seas-Baltic
Jan 12 Island Princess-Panama Canal
Oct 12 Oasis of the Seas-Halloween
Dec 12 Mariner of the Seas-New Years Eve
Feb 14 Independence of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
I know we've been running behind on this, and I sincerely apologize.

We've updated the singles calendar with all of the information we've received to date, and I am going to be acting as the new singles editor ...

We're also thinking about a CruiseMates singles cruise. How would you all feel about that? Any suggestions for what you would like to see in terms of cruise line, ship, itinerary?

Blue skies!

--rita
Methinks Jan Feb is good timing. Personally that's a bonus to me to have the novelty of warm weather when it's cold at home.
And Carnvial seems to cater more to the get together activities.
What I have observed is that it seems there are folks who would do something, but don't want to be first, so if there is a leader, people tend to follow.
Most folks I know either can't, or don't want to spend an entire week on a cruise alone.
So far, my fave cruise for fun and meeting people was the 5 day Fascination to the Bahamas out of Jacksonville.
Not as crowded, lower priced flights and motels, from the midwest anyway.
21 Princess

"You may have less scars, but I'll have better stories"

facebook.com/buggystuff

Friend me if you like!
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to chetter

I'm Back

Chetter
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetter
I'm Back

Chetter
Yay - Party on Dude!!!
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Funcruiser212 Ok Who are you ?
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yo Chetter - It's Harold - How is it going? Really need another cruise soon, but probably not until Winter.

Debating between Dream in February (Singlescruise.com) or Glory in March (VTG)

May do a last minute out of Baltimore if there are any giveaways in Fall.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Hello harold :

I'm going on the Halloween Cruise Out Thru Vtg . as far as Next Year I have to think about my fianances first . Maybe in the Spring .I'll let you know . I'm headin g out to New Jersey for the weekend on THRUS. Shoulf be fun

Taake care and Behave yourself :-) lol

Chetter