Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival Splendor SOLO single cruise review

I cruised on May 17th on the Carnival Splendor and bought a catagory 1-A cabin for $500. total price for just myself.

The cabin has one bed and the other bed in located in the ceiling. I have no idea how the bed is lowered down. The cabin is very cozy for SOLO cruisers. It was perfect for me. Carnival Splendor doesn't have the old fashioned BUNK BEDS like you see in the old photos of catagory 1-A.

The Vacationstogo.com singles were also cruising on May 17th. I already have cruised with them 7 times. I didn't want to pay their high prices since Carnival had lowered rates dirt cheap for a lot of the last minute cruisers. Some of their VTG cruisers were unhappy that they had paid more than what I had paid and other last minute cruisers had paid.
The singles group of people were very nice people and I knew a lot of them from past cruises. Since I didn't pay to be part of the group I chose to not try to sneak into their activities. I had some close friends who were part of the group and had a good time with them at breakfast and lunch and at the disco late at night. We would also go into the ports together at times. I like to explore the ports on my own at times.

I met several nice groups of people to hang out with on the ship. I made friends with the Karaoke crowd, the Piano Guy crowd, and some people that I met on the ship. They had some great SALSA DANCE MUSIC at the Robesto Bar Lounge. I loved playing TRIVIA too.

I also met with some CRUISE-CRITIC MEMBERS and took a tour of some of the cabins that are different catagories. I got to see the handicapped cabins that had wide doors and large bathrooms. The cabins are just a few feet larger than their regular sized cabins. They were nice.

I had a fantastic time by myself since I am a super extrovert and met lots of fun people.

I didn't have any problems or glitches since I am a VIP and got great service from them. I got a free gift, canapes, petite fours sp in my cabin.
I got my clothes washed too for free but not ironed.lol.

The waiters and cabin stewards worked very hard to please everybody.

I loved the Tandori Indian food and the Korean stir fry at the buffet during lunch time.
FOOD - If you are a person who thinks that food is the most important thing on a cruise..... the Carnival ships are not for you.
There were some great dishes and some foods that were not tasty. BUT, I was always given the option to choose something else.
I HAD FUN EATING ALL I WANTED ALL DAY LONG. I grazed every day.lol.

I ate dinner with two gals that loved to try as many dishes as possible at dinner time. I ate with them two times. The ship was not full so I had the freedom to move around and eat with different friends.
BUT.... I don't think that can happen again in a future cruise.

I plan to keep on cruising SOLO as long as I can find great deals. I don't need a singles group to keep me entertained anymore. I used to cruise with singles groups for many years but I feel I have outgrown them.
BUT... I may still cruise with a group that has a THEME.

This cruise review is not about the ship but more about cruising as a SOLO CRUISER. LucyR.
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Passenger

I just want to add that I think that when cruise rates go down.... I think that Vacationstogo.com and other singles groups should lower their rates.
I don't like getting stuck paying a high rate for a cruise that has lowered their rates. For example; when a person pays $1,400. for a solo cabin on a singles group... I think it would only be fair to lower the rate when it goes down like it did on May 17th.

This is a problem that has been going on since I have been cruising with singles groups.
Plus, I think that singles groups should give people who cruise a lot with them a special lower deal since they cruise a lot with a certain singles group.
I am speaking about all singles groups. I think it is time for them to start lowering their rates when the cruise ship rates go down for the same cabin catagories. They can still charge the extra fee for their Hosted services. But at least they could make the effort to upgrade people or give them shipboard credit.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your post Lucy. I too cruise solo, and enjoy it. However many of the "rock bottom" last minute prices out there are for new bookings only. And when you travel as a group someone has to pay for the group leader to go.

I have only taken one cruise with a "singles" group. NOT.. what a waste of my time. The only good thing that came out of it was I ended up in an outside cabin by myself without the supplement. Most of the group were couples, friends and married!! 3 singles total. I love to meet n mingle before the cruise to get a feel for who is on board. This has lead to a few wonderful cruises.

And like you I am an extrovert and enjoy talking with everyone.

Cruise on... everyone enjoy!!

K
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Hi Lady, I cruised with Hosted vacationstogo.com singles and with singlescruise.com and they are both great singles groups. They were a lot of fun but I have outgrown them.
I don't need them anymore because I can find real cheap solo cabins at a very low rate on my own now. I don't need the groups anymore.

This week I booked SOLO with RCL Mariner of the Seas for only $758. I am cruising on Sept. 13th. I heard it is a great ship and has a ice skating ring. I want to see the ice show.
I have a great cabin with a window facing the promenade deck on deck 7.
The prominade deck is on #5. Plus they have a couple of parades that I will be able to look out of my window. YEAH!

My friend Carol has cruised on the Mariner and loved it so she got motivated to also book on the ship. She booked a solo jr. suite which was expensive but it has been her dream to cruise in a suite for a long time.
I am totally looking foreward to cruising on the Mariner.
A bunch of cruisers from cruise-critic are also cruising and RCL is planning a party for us cruisers. YEAH!

Anybody from cruise-mates cruising on Sept.13th on the Mariner? Lucy
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Hi Lucy,

I too was on the Splendor May, 17th cruise to Oregon and Canada. I had a lot of fun watching people in Oregon on this cruise. The folks trying to hookup the gangways and the mad rush back to the ship when the rain hit was just so fun to watch. I was semi-solo on this cruise. I had a stateroom to myself but had family staying elsewhere on the ship. I did quite few things by myself and enjoyed just walking around the ship and talking to people I met along the way. I saw the chalkboard somewhere showing singles get together but never went to any.

Thanks for your description of a 1A stateroom. I've thought about staying in a 1A and was worried they'd be a little small and noisy. I was lucky this last time to be able to get a 8S cabin for bargain when the itinerary changed from Mexico to Canada.

I'm going to try a truly solo cruise this October on the Radiance of the Seas for a 5-day Mexico trip. RCI isn't charging 200% like Carnival does for several room categories. Looking forward to it.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Hi KZ, yes, I thought it was fun to visit Astoria, Oregon. Those people really needed our money in their tiny town. It was cute the way a little boy said to his mom, "Look mom, there is a J.C. Penny store. The only highlight for that little boy.lol. The only big store they had I think.

I went to a crummy little store named "Deals". It did have a lot of deals but I only bought a few things.
I heard the Bars and Pubs were super happy to get the ship's business.

The greeters were so sweet and so nice. I told them to pray that the ship would return and it did.

Some ships are planning the PACIFIC NORTHWEST cruises for the future.

Vactionstogo.com singles were also on that cruise. Those messages were only for the hosted group. I knew some people in the group. I hung out with some of them during the cruise.

My cabin was located on the Riviera deck. It was really nice and cozy for one person. It has the modern thin screen t.v. facing the twin bed.

On my next future cruises on the Splendor will be on Halloween, Oct.24th. I also booked a cat.1-A on the Empress deck.

I also got a great deal on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas, for Sept.13th.
Catagory PR which has a large window facing the Promenade/street.
That cabin has a queen bed which will be really nice.
I have a friend who booked her own jr. suite cabin cruising with me.
We both like our own cabins.

I loved going to Victoria. Lucy